Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Someone wrote something offensive about Tubbers???

I am shocked and appalled...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bard wrote: »
    Right. I'm at the end of my patience with regard to editing people's posts to remove offensive content and will do it no longer. Posts which are being offensive towards a radio presenter will be deleted and the posters who post them will be banned for at least 2 days.

This has just happened to "Lollers".

Read the charter, folks. It's not bloody rocket science.
    Can you ban people that dont like the show but keep listening to it,and keep posting about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Can you ban people that dont like the show but keep listening to it,and keep posting about it!

Can you post about not liking a show without getting personally offensive towards the show's presenter? Yes, yes you can.

Let's not talk about moderating here. Keep it on topic, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

RTÉ 2fm's 'Toys for Tubs' appeal provided the Society of St Vincent de Paul with over €250,000 worth of toys to help Santa share with almost 20,000 children over Christmas.
    Speaking about the initiative, presenter Ryan Tubridy said: "The Toys for Tubs campaign proved that Irish people remain generous and fundamentally decent despite the difficulties we are encountering as a nation."
    "The fact that toys donated by the public ended up in the hands of children all over Ireland was all the more significant."
    "As we said at the time, all children must be recession-proof and hopefully, we helped the SVP achieve, at least partially, that aim."
    St Vincent de Paul National President Mairead Bushnell said: "The response to the campaign was just tremendous. It showed the level of generosity and consideration the Irish people possess."

"RTÉ 2fm's Ryan Tubridy and his production team are to be congratulated on their initiative in driving the appeal and the prompt response of the many organisations who jumped in to help with the collection of the toys was uplifting."
    All ages were catered for with the collection, from tots to teens, with vouchers for books, music and cinema arriving in good numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I fall into that category and to explain why. Thats the time I get up and I like to hear somebody read through the daily papers, as of yet there is no other radio station at this time that does this. Gerry was a master at it, Tubridy... well he is... lets just say he is very very poor compared to Gerry when it comes to reading out the daily papers.
    He now seems more interested in chating to the newsreader than looking at the papers. It's all about his bubble, if you like what he does (Wonka world,JFK,Twitter) great, if you dont, well that's too bad.
    Some days it's so bad it's good (Alan partridge) and I almost look forward to reading this thread about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ghiertal wrote: »
    RTÉ 2fm's 'Toys for Tubs' appeal provided the Society of St Vincent de Paul with over €250,000 worth of toys to help Santa share with almost 20,000 children over Christmas.
    Speaking about the initiative, presenter Ryan Tubridy said: "The Toys for Tubs campaign proved that Irish people remain generous and fundamentally decent despite the difficulties we are encountering as a nation."
    "The fact that toys donated by the public ended up in the hands of children all over Ireland was all the more significant."
    "As we said at the time, all children must be recession-proof and hopefully, we helped the SVP achieve, at least partially, that aim."
    St Vincent de Paul National President Mairead Bushnell said: "The response to the campaign was just tremendous. It showed the level of generosity and consideration the Irish people possess."

"RTÉ 2fm's Ryan Tubridy and his production team are to be congratulated on their initiative in driving the appeal and the prompt response of the many organisations who jumped in to help with the collection of the toys was uplifting."
    All ages were catered for with the collection, from tots to teens, with vouchers for books, music and cinema arriving in good numbers
    well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Bertie A has done charity work , i dont like him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

almanu wrote: »
    Bertie A has done charity work , i dont like him either.
    I'm not saying that you have to like him, just respect him.Maybe in time grow to love him.He's not perfect i know, but hey, who is?
    For example on his show this morning the newscaster barged her way onto the shoe until 9.11. He was finished the newspapers until half past nine.This is too long.He should be finished doing the papers before ten past and then play a piece of music and begin the show in earnest.It was different for Gerry because he had a three hour show.
    Also there is a lack of structure in place. Some mornings he doesn't take callers during the first hour of the show.Is his show a phone-in or team based.
    Does he need to be a film reviewer or is this due to cuts?If he is he should stick with one rating for a film because originally he gave "The Kings Speech" 7/10 and days later he changed it to 7 and a half/10.(He gave Black Swan 7/10, said it was overhyped).He is also very good at recommending box-sets,Downton Abbey is meant to be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm not saying that you have to like him, just respect him.Maybe in time grow to love him.He's not perfect i know, but hey, who is?
    For example on his show this morning the newscaster barged her way onto the shoe until 9.11. He was finished the newspapers until half past nine.This is too long.He should be finished doing the papers before ten past and then play a piece of music and begin the show in earnest.It was different for Gerry because he had a three hour show.
    Also there is a lack of structure in place. Some mornings he doesn't take callers during the first hour of the show.Is his show a phone-in or team based.
    Does he need to be a film reviewer or is this due to cuts?If he is he should stick with one rating for a film because originally he gave "The Kings Speech" 7/10 and days later he changed it to 7 and a half/10.(He gave Black Swan 7/10, said it was overhyped).He is also very good at recommending box-sets,Downton Abbey is meant to be excellent.

Anyone else read this in a Vicky Pollard voice?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

what you say there should refer to someone in a probationary position in RTE not the highest paid star!!! It's almost like he's learning on the job and earning the CEO's salary...that can be hard to "grow to like" in these harsh times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'm not saying that you have to like him, just respect him.

I lost whatever respect I had for Tubridy after he badgered Michael Martin about the death of his daughter last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This was just another item for his show, it wasnt like he invested time or money of his own in it .. If he'd done it outside of his job then should get plaudits for it but Tubridy was being paid for every minute he spent on the project.. And Shay Byrne was the one who was out in the cold doing the donkey work.

I mean which did he spend more time promoting last year.. "Toys For Tubs" or "JFK: In Ireland" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

mikom wrote: »
    Anyone else read this in a Vicky Pollard voice?
    i found it painful after the first few lines about the shoe.

plus respect!! that is earned not given away willy nilly .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It seems our heroine Emma has been removed from the show, I wonder why?
    I do hope she spills the beans if she has been hard done by.

Poly wrote: »
    It seems our heroine Emma has been removed from the show, I wonder why?

I'm not sure Poly.. I thought a few times "jesus she's gone, she must have asked for a transfer" and then she appears the next day.. I dont think she's on as regularly as she was though.. I mean she was on EVERY day, wasnt she?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

all time low there yesterday morning
    some listener rang in he says go to the book shelf run your finger along the spines and shouts stop pick out that book now how pathetic is that.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    all time low there yesterday morning
    some listener rang in he says go to the book shelf run your finger along the spines and shouts stop pick out that book now how pathetic is that.

Not pathetic at all?

I'm sorry if I'm missing your point here but what exactly is pathetic about the bit you just described??

ok i have now come to the conclusion that BARD is either a tubridy fan or maybe tubs himself which is no problem
    why i find this pathetic?

ok person rings in on a totally different topic nothing to do with books at all
    he says as usual what are you doing now? caller says drinking tea the tubs says ok have you a big brown thing that holds books caller says yes he goes yes lovely(well what else would he say) so he says go to that big brown thing with the books in it then pick a shelf now i want you to run your finger across the spines and when i say stop you stop the caller weirdly say ok so she continues to do so run her finger across the spines and tubs says stop no during this process tubs is quite aroused he is probably feeding the pidgeons whilst this is going on so then the caller takes out the book and he starts rambling on and on about it now how the heck to you script something like that into a morning prime time slot it is so inadequate and im sure many people here will agree so before you jump in as you do please let people read and decide for themselves
    please dont threaten me with a ban from radio as you asked why ive now told you why and its not off topic and its what he talks about mostly on his show
    if he loves books so much he should just do a show on BOOKS or maybe join all his favorite things such as twitter/jfk/madmen/westwing/books and lets not forget FF, into another format of another show at another time of the day not in the morning.
    im not here to argue with you either bard im just making suggestion as thats what this is about the ryan tubridy show all this takes place in the ryan tubridy show its not off topic its not offensive to the broadcaster its just COMMON TRUTH as to what goes on on this morning show thanks.

I agree with Jimmy about the callers.. Tubridy has a tendency to bring the caller round to discuss whatever is of interest to himself.. Or else they just screen the calls to allow people on who want to talk about books.. I cant think of how many times I've heard people saying "oh Ryan, I read that book you recommended and it was great" or "oh Ryan, I heard you mentioning that on the show and I cant wait to read it"...

I agree with Jimmy about the callers.. Tubridy has a tendency to bring the caller round to discuss whatever is of interest to himself.. Or else they just screen the calls to allow people on who want to talk about books.. I cant think of how many times I've heard people saying "oh Ryan, I read that book you recommended and it was great" or "oh Ryan, I heard you mentioning that on the show and I cant wait to read it"...

THANKS the show revolves around him and his interests not what people want to talk about ,when the rare occasion of a caller gets on air of the books/ff/jfk/twitter/madmen/box sets, he turns it around to what he wants or its a swiftly moving on issue.

• Advertisement

ok i have now come to the conclusion that BARD is either a tubridy fan or maybe tubs himself which is no problem

No, I'm neither.
    he says as usual what are you doing now? caller says drinking tea the tubs says ok have you a big brown thing that holds books caller says yes he goes yes lovely(well what else would he say) so he says go to that big brown thing with the books in it then pick a shelf now i want you to run your finger across the spines and when i say stop you stop the caller weirdly say ok so she continues to do so run her finger across the spines and tubs says stop no during this process tubs is quite aroused he is probably feeding the pidgeons whilst this is going on so then the caller takes out the book and he starts rambling on and on about it now how the heck to you script something like that into a morning prime time slot it is so inadequate and im sure many people here will agree so before you jump in as you do please let people read and decide for themselves

Grand, now you've explained it, I understand where you were coming from and why you found it pathetic. I didn't hear the show in question and your brief description of him asking a listener to pick out a book didn't sound all that pathetic. I get it now, cheers.

Mind you, I've no major problem with his love of books - more people should read more and should be encouraged to do so - nor do I have a major issue with his love of American politics (although mentioning it in every show is a *bit* much alright) but if he's steering callers away from what they called in about to just talk about what interests him, that's a bit of a problem yes.
    please dont threaten me with a ban from radio as you asked why ive now told you why and its not off topic and its what he talks about mostly on his show

Why would I threaten you with a ban? I asked a question about Tubridy's show, you answered it. All perfectly on-topic.
    if he loves books so much he should just do a show on BOOKS or maybe join all his favorite things such as twitter/jfk/madmen/westwing/books and lets not forget FF, into another format of another show at another time of the day not in the morning.

I dunno. Again, I think people should be encouraged to read more and I've no major issue with his love of books. Maybe he should have a defined 'books' section of the show?
    im not here to argue with you either bard im just making suggestion as thats what this is about the ryan tubridy show all this takes place in the ryan tubridy show its not off topic its not offensive to the broadcaster its just COMMON TRUTH as to what goes on on this morning show thanks.

That's cool - no need to go on the defensive! Nobody ever said you were going off topic :) FYI, I'm not always posting in my capacity of "moderator",- sometimes I'm just a contributor. Usually, if I'm posting in my mod capacity, I'll use bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Jeez Jimmy, take a breathe once in a while. Thats exactly the type of post I'd imagine someone like Dave Fanning making. ;)

Anyway, your point is well made. :)

ha Telekon and thanks bard for reply not rambling on just making a point as at times you seem a little upset when people say things but your right maybe he should do a book section or what maybe better a new time slot with all his topics if he is that popular why not its a win win for his employer

:D Everyone knows Bard is Gay Byrne.

Poly wrote: »
    :D Everyone knows Bard is Gay Byrne.

LOL :D or an RTE insider:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hi JimmyNokia - glad BARD cleared that up!
    I thought your explanation of why that 'bookshelf' exchange grated so much was excellent. It highlighted that he seems to operate on just one gear. Out of work? Read a book. Unlucky in love? Stick a Mad Men DVD on. Sick child? Watch Downton Abbey.

As others have said before, Tubs would be great as a presenter of a books show (especially if he were to read outside the SoCoDu canon of book club favourites) but his current jack-of-all-trades schtick means he is spreading himself too thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Hi JimmyNokia - glad BARD cleared that up!
    I thought your explanation of why that 'bookshelf' exchange grated so much was excellent. It highlighted that he seems to operate on just one gear. Out of work? Read a book. Unlucky in love? Stick a Mad Men DVD on. Sick child? Watch Downton Abbey.

As others have said before, Tubs would be great as a presenter of a books show (especially if he were to read outside the SoCoDu canon of book club favourites) but his current jack-of-all-trades schtick means he is spreading himself too thin.
    That's the worst thing, he paints himself as a sophisticated reader, but most of his choices are bestselling new releases, books that have been made into TV shows/films, and none is particularly difficult or obscure. Reading the list at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thetubridyshow/bookclub.html I pictured Fr Ted arranging them on the coffeetable before Polly comes in - and then putting Dan Brown back on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

goose2005 wrote: »
    That's the worst thing, he paints himself as a sophisticated reader, but most of his choices are bestselling new releases, books that have been made into TV shows/films, and none is particularly difficult or obscure. Reading the list at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thetubridyshow/bookclub.html I pictured Fr Ted arranging them on the coffeetable before Polly comes in - and then putting Dan Brown back on the shelf.

Yeah... I can't give out too much because I have pretty much the same taste as him! But even I know I'm missing out on a lot of quality reading by ignoring, say, quality sci-fi, or sports writing, or popular science.

But you are right.

Havent listened in a while.. but he was on with the usual nonsense today.. Emma Counihan seems to have had enough of him and bailed, it will be interesting to see how long Evelyn lasts... "Are you a fan of the pagan calendar, Evelyn"... oh dear god... a fascinating discussion of weaving and Tubridy baking ensues...

Send Tubridy on ICA bootcamp and give Kathryn Thomas the job..

• Advertisement

With the closure of "Waterstones", I've a feeling the show will be a bookworms lament.

Advertisement