Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

he mentions that he reaches for a seatbelt when he sits in the studio seat- car crash radio

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Poly wrote: »
    With the closure of "Waterstones", I've a feeling the show will be a bookworms lament.

yes, you were right Poly, he now has an excuse to talk about one of his favourite subjects. I noticed the papers pretty much got by passed this morning, the new newsreader seems to love the attention. In his own bubble today like most days...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I did not realise how book centered his show actually was till i listened from 9.50-10.00 this morning:eek:

He was creaming his togs reminiscing about Rick Mayall reading a book for jackanory

His new idea of getting irish stars to read books jackanory style

Writing his name and date on books he gives as gifts

Writing dates and locations on books to remind him where he first read a book

eg The Sea John Banville Location;Achill Island

Now i like to read but how is this suitable for a station like 2fm and at that time of the day and this seems to be the carry on every day from what i read here

Give Colm the 9-12 timeslot at least he can talk to people about everyday issues

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is 2fm not supposed to be slightly edgier than Jackanory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

is 2fm not supposed to be slightly edgier than Jackanory?

A pillow is edgier than 2fm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What I dont understand is why RTE is running two very similar shows on Radio 1 and 2FM at the same time..

What I dont understand is why RTE is running two very similar shows on Radio 1 and 2FM at the same time..

Because the are morons, and don't give a sh1t how your hard earned €160 is spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

another bookfest today,caller rings in and first question DO YOU READ? FFS

one word to describe the last two days of this radio program. I feel bad about boosting the jnlr ratings by 1 unit, but I needed to hear the show properly.....

and the word is....
    FILLER

I feel bad about boosting the jnlr ratings by 1 unit,
    I know how you feel, I tune in for the first 10 mins just for the "partridge factor", once I get my fill it's back to Newstalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Worztron

I have no time for Tubridy. He has no talent.

Check out my thread about him:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056074069

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alanoshea

I agree with most of the messages here and no doubt he does go on a bit too much about books. He can be good but it sounds like he's making it up as he's going along most of the time. Sounds like he hasnt prepared at all, specially when he's reviewing the papers. Did the 2fm bosses tell him to sound casual..and he maybe took it them literally?!
    Really sounds like he needs some help and direction.

I know how you feel, I tune in for the first 10 mins just for the "partridge factor", once I get my fill it's back to Newstalk
    Funny, I do the same thing!
    Still though, jokes aside, it's a waste on a prime time morning slot to put him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I feel bad about boosting the jnlr ratings by 1 unit, but I needed to hear the show properly.....

The Jnlr ratings are done through survey work I think. There is no way of determining what people are listening to so I wouldnt worry about listening to sh*t shows like DLB's...they'll never know.

Just let him have it in the survey!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Has there still been no JNLR ratings since he started?

lol.. I do exactly the same poly.. See what sort of stupid awkward thing he says to Emma, what JFK tangent he will drift off on while talking to somebody who ostensibly rang in to discuss cardigans, his own brand of avoidance (when asked about his personal life) and FF denial (when talking about his relations in the Dáil)...

But I'm even bored with the partridge element of the show.. Havent tuned in for a week or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

one word to describe the last two days of this radio program. I feel bad about boosting the jnlr ratings by 1 unit, but I needed to hear the show properly.....

As I said previously.
    lempsipmax wrote: »
    JNLR figures are calculated by surveys. They cant tell if your car radio is tuned into tubs! So if anyone happens to ask if you listen to tubs deny it.

This mornings partridge moment for me was when he had a caller on discussing auschwitz, in fairness to the caller he was deeply moved by his visit (as a tourist) with his dad to the site, as he recalled being dismayed by a few other visitors who seemed bored and left for a smoke, our hero interrupts with a nugget of intellect along the lines of..."it's easy to see how Hitler was able to get his message of hate across with people like that around...."

maybe it's nothing....i just thought he was implying the Nazi war machine was a bunch of bored tourists...

Good god, I pulled down the podcast to find out about this Irish comedy tonight about the Quizzes.. called 'Trivia', which I fear (on the basis of the promo) could be worse than Val Falvey TD..

He goes "There's a new comedy drama starting tonight on RTE Television... A crama"

Alan Partridge does that... !!!!!!

• Advertisement

Good god, I pulled down the podcast to find out about this Irish comedy tonight about the Quizzes.. called 'Trivia', which I fear (on the basis of the promo) could be worse than Val Falvey TD..

He goes "There's a new comedy drama starting tonight on RTE Television... A crama"

Alan Partridge does that... !!!!!!

yes!!! i heard that............i could imagine his little leg kicking out under the table at that point!

i just thought he was implying the Nazi war machine was a bunch of bored tourists...

lol.. I'm pulling down that podcast just to hear this.. :D:D

lol.. I'm pulling down that podcast just to hear this.. :D:D

Listen to the first 5 mins or so Jon, things turn a bit sour with his latest newsreader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Listen to the first 5 mins or so Jon, things turn a bit sour with his latest newsreader

All this week in fact. She was very chirpy at the beginning of the week -
    yesterday I detected a cooling but today she really froze him out. I'd
    say we will have a new newsreader by Monday, or maybe Emma's 2 weeks
    of freedom are nearly over?

ah ha ha ha she called him Dumbo!

lol... She capitalized on his faux self deprecation... it was funny, him describing how he was having a waxwork made of him.... kind of like David Brent leaving the magazine with his picture on the cover of him on the desk..

Ryan's relationships with the newsreaders are akin to speed dating at this stage.. She'll be out the door at the end of the week..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

he didnt like that either the truth hurts LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

lol... She capitalized on his faux self deprecation... it was funny, him describing how he was having a waxwork made of him.... kind of like David Brent leaving the magazine with his picture on the cover of him on the desk..

Ryan's relationships with the newsreaders are akin to speed dating at this stage.. She'll be out the door at the end of the week..

So funny. He cracked some laboured joke about the size of his ears and when she ran with it and riffed a gag about Dumbo, you could tell he didn't like the fact that he wasn't the only one doing the ahem "funny" stuff. Even better was when he moved on to the papers, saying something like he loved having the craic with Evelyn... Pure Partridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Why I am glad I listened to Tubridy for 5 minutes this morning:
    • The unfunny/stilted parallels drawn by Tubs and the news-reader between his cutting a fraction of a second off her bulletin with his sig tune and ......the conflict in Egypt.
    • The follow-up from Tubs 'I found this wad of white paper pulp in the pocket of my jeans when I put them on this morning'
    • His hastneing to add that the was was found in his back pocket - he was no doubt keen to avoid accusations of stuffing the front of his pants!.
    • The resolution of the paper in my pants story?? Worryingly it remained unidentified.
    • Other insights from his life since yesterdays show, he watched television, he drove to work and passed over some election posters which the wind had knocked down.
    • His 'You have wild hair.' statement to Evelyn which he pretty much just blurted out. She was unfazed and told us she embraces its wildness when its windy.
    • Tubs accusing her of listening to Dido as she does her morning stretches. I think she was coming across as being a little bit too quirky for Tubs with her 4 a.m. incense, stretching and after-dinner chill out compilation (remember Tubs likes to decide who is quirky, he disapproves of people who 'think they are quirky').
    • Her denying it and claiming her after-dinner chill out compilation CD is more 1920s music.
    • Tubs spotting his chance at the mention of a decade (the 20's) to reference Boardwalk Empire and the obligatory Mad Men.
    • The resolution of the whole exchange where Evelyn says to him 'You like TV' to which he replies 'And you like Incense'.

I turned it off when the papers started. The whole conversation seems to have been sustained by his continuing inability/reluctance to talk directly to his listeners (needing instead use Evelyn or G1/G2 for his one-sided riffing) and her obvious desire to make the most of her moment in the glare of Tubs fumbling, patronising, probing into her life.

Both pitiful and priceless.

• Advertisement

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Why I am glad I listened to Tubridy for 5 minutes this morning:
    • The unfunny/stilted parallels drawn by Tubs and the news-reader between his cutting a fraction of a second off her bulletin with his sig tune and ......the conflict in Egypt.
    • The follow-up from Tubs 'I found this wad of white paper pulp in the pocket of my jeans when I put them on this morning'
    • His hastneing to add that the was was found in his back pocket - he was no doubt keen to avoid accusations of stuffing the front of his pants!.
    • The resolution of the paper in my pants story?? Worryingly it remained unidentified.
    • Other insights from his life since yesterdays show, he watched television, he drove to work and passed over some election posters which the wind had knocked down.
    • His 'You have wild hair.' statement to Evelyn which he pretty much just blurted out. She was unfazed and told us she embraces its wildness when its windy.
    • Tubs accusing her of listening to Dido as she does her morning stretches. I think she was coming across as being a little bit too quirky for Tubs with her 4 a.m. incense, stretching and after-dinner chill out compilation (remember Tubs likes to decide who is quirky, he disapproves of people who 'think they are quirky').
    • Her denying it and claiming her after-dinner chill out compilation CD is more 1920s music.
    • Tubs spotting his chance at the mention of a decade (the 20's) to reference Boardwalk Empire and the obligatory Mad Men.
    • The resolution of the whole exchange where Evelyn says to him 'You like TV' to which he replies 'And you like Incense'.

I turned it off when the papers started. The whole conversation seems to have been sustained by his continuing inability/reluctance to talk directly to his listeners (needing instead use Evelyn or G1/G2 for his one-sided riffing) and her obvious desire to make the most of her moment in the glare of Tubs fumbling, patronising, probing into her life.

Both pitiful and priceless.

Nice work Limsipmax,
    I hope you post more of these breakdowns. It really shows how cringy car crash his show is.

Advertisement