Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Like the blind spot he has when it comes to the JFK's affairs, Kennedy anti semitism, JFK conspiracy theories (which he dismisses as nonsense and it pretty much the only issues of the JFK story that he wont speak about)
    Whats the matter with Tubridy, there is some ground when it comes to the JFK conspiracy theories about his death. Even if you think it is nonsence there has to be a element of ... well maybe. Reminds me of the Bill Hicks bit, "Back & to The Left" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4E-UQZX6z0&feature=related
    It also happens to be the one element of JFK that your average Joe holds some interest in and our Tubbs won't speak about it.
    Sums it up really. Head in the sand,wonka,jelly babies and all things nice, oh what a wonderful place, laaa la la la laaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

mbur wrote: »
    Did anyone hear Dave's Reaction to this gem?

just got round to listening to that very good LOL:D

WHEN IS TUBBERS STARTING ON THE BBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Only 5 days in and it already looks as if Fanning is running out of ideas. Today's discussion about the "best ever intros" has already been done to death by him in recent times. We got to hear that Gimme Shelter is his favourite ever intro to a song. Jeez Dave, it must be about 5 minutes since you last told us that. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to wonder if most radio DJs are suffering from some kind of mild autism? It would explain Tubbs's obsession with 50's Americana and Fanning's obsession with lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Only 5 days in and it already looks as if Fanning is running out of ideas. Today's discussion about the "best ever intros" has already been done to death by him in recent times. We got to hear that Gimme Shelter is his favourite ever intro to a song. Jeez Dave, it must be about 5 minutes since you last told us that. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to wonder if most radio DJs are suffering from some kind of mild autism? It would explain Tubbs's obsession with 50's Americana and Fanning's obsession with lists.
    Have say I enjoyed the show, the Baggot inn poster in the you tube clip was also interesting. He has done lists many times like best funeral songs etc but I personally enjoy it so long as it is not done twice with in 6 months. This week of Dave Fanning has been great, listened to his show when ever I had the chance. I for one would like to see Dave take the morning slot altogether although I think Moncrieff would be the best person for the Job. Tubbs is by far one of the worst choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I found this topic so boring. I really enjoy Dave but this show I found boring. His Saturday show is not up to much as usually focuses on films etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Regarding the Kennedys, Tubridy has a blind spot for his hero when the "Camelot" mask starts to slip.. Like the blind spot he has when it comes to the JFK's affairs, Kennedy anti semitism, JFK conspiracy theories

He seems to shield himself from certain uncomfortable truths in life that dont fit his idyllic view of the world... It's like in Friends where Phoebe's mother turns off the video when Old Yeller dies

Jon, i have to disagree with the last sentiment here. Do you think it likely that Tubridy is like this in reality? Tubridy is a highly driven businessman. He didn't get to the top of Irish TV and radio without playing a game or being ruthless. He likes to project an image of himself as some kind of kiddie-loving, simple man whose only wants are books and films. This from a man who refused to take a 10% pay cut when we were entering the recession. He then tells the public that we all need to pull together and be positive in order to get through.He tried to debase Enda Kenny for years but then became is one of his biggest fans when he saw Fine Gael's majority. He was supposedly one of Gerry Ryan's best mates but we are led to believe he was oblivious to Gerry's lifesytle. He rails against racism but invites Jim Corr onto his radio show to re-air his anti-semitic views days after appearing on the LLS. He said that he was humbled to be given the LLS but now he isn't sure where his future lies. This from a man who says that Gordon Ramsey is a bit too "British" for him, but then bows before the Queen and heads off to work for the BBC. He says Obama represents hope yet he supported Hilary Clinton in the Democratic nominaton process. I could go on. Everything about the man is false in my opinion. He loves to see what way the wind is blowing before making any decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ghiertal wrote: »
    He likes to project an image of himself as some kind of kiddie-loving, simple man whose only wants are books and films

hmmm.. I think if his on air persona was "contrived" as you suggest, I think he would have thought up a personality that would appear to a wider listenership.. Personally, I think he is pretty much as he is on the show..
    He tried to debase Enda Kenny for years but then became is one of his biggest fans when he saw Fine Gael's majority. He was supposedly one of Gerry Ryan's best mates but we are led to believe he was oblivious to Gerry's lifesytle.

While this is certainly true, he would not be unique in the media in doing so.. There was a LOT of hypocrisy, and a huge difference in the general reporting of stories relating to Enda Kenny, the day after he was elected.. I always cite the "Paddy likes to know what is going on" line he came out with that night.. He would have been ridiculed if he had said that before being elected..

This is from Sunday tribune article September 2010:RYAN Tubridy has criticised the action of anti-war protestors who threw eggs and shoes at former British prime minister Tony Blair as he arrived to sign copies of his new memoir in Eason bookseller, Dublin, yesterday.

The Late Late Show host, who had interviewed Blair just hours beforehand, said that despite understandable anger by anti-war protestors, debate should always take precedence over physical confrontation.

Well Ryan there has been 113 pages of robust debate here and the result is pretty clear so would you PFO or do our voices not matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Well Ryan there has been 113 pages of robust debate here and the result is pretty clear so would you PFO or do our voices not matter.

Et tu, ghiertal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willoflood

This is from Sunday tribune article September 2010:RYAN Tubridy has criticised the action of anti-war protestors who threw eggs and shoes at former British prime minister Tony Blair as he arrived to sign copies of his new memoir in Eason bookseller, Dublin, yesterday.

The Late Late Show host, who had interviewed Blair just hours beforehand, said that despite understandable anger by anti-war protestors, debate should always take precedence over physical confrontation.

Have News Corp hacked ghiertals account?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

tubbers got to the summit of rte by being an andrews plain and simple, he is severely annoying, has little or no talent except for being able to babble on and play the fool, the majority of the country despise him and is in reality probably a horrible man wth a superiority complex, he has always been shielded from the real ireland, he never knew hardship like the poor fools who ring in to him and he empathising with them and he on half a million a year.......get real folks.....

Dont forget people July 23rd is D-Day for Tubridy.. The show will be on from 10am to 1pm on BBC Radio 2.. Wonder can we listen to it online.. I'm hoping that they love him, and that he stays over there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Dont forget people July 23rd is D-Day for Tubridy.. The show will be on from 10am to 1pm on BBC Radio 2.. Wonder can we listen to it online.. I'm hoping that they love him, and that he stays over there..

Jonny, If you have Digital Radio, RTE are streaming it on 2XM every week he is on BBCR2.

I think that means you can stream it on the RTE website even if you don't have DAB.

http://blog.marketing.ie/?p=6599

Ryan Tubridy’s summer stint on BBC Radio 2 will be broadcast live by RTÉ 2fm’s digital sister station 2XM. RTÉ 2XM will simulcast the programme every Saturday from 10am to 1pm for eight weeks, starting on Saturday week, July 23. Tubridy’s show on 2fm will be fronted by the Late Late Show host for “much of the summer months”. Details about Tubridy’s new show on BBC Radio 2 are still unknown.

Skid wrote: »
    I think that means you can stream it on the RTE website even if you don't have DAB.

Even if I dont have a DLB.. :)

I'm usually busy on Satuday mornings working down at the homeless shelter (i.e. my euphemism for staying in bed), just wondering if they will podcast it.. I still find it AMAZING that they actually want him..

I still find it AMAZING that they actually want him..

It's a mystery to all of us.

All I can imagine is that Terry Wogan is still revered around Radio 2, and they want to find the next Wogan. The logical place to start is 'Ireland's most popular Radio Presenter'

I don't dislike Tubridy. If he can spoof his way into a long term Gig at the BBC then good luck to him. With a good Producer to stop him rambling, and no public to talk to, he just might pull it off. Well spoken Irish Voices have always done well over there (Wogan, Henry Kelly, Craig Doyle, for example)

Gerry Ryan was always going to be a tough act to follow, and Tubbers was a terrible choice. He won't talk about his personal life at all, preferring to harass the Newsreaders about theirs. And he is no good with phone ins, he can't relate to the Public at all.

He is a man in the wrong job. This just might be a lifeline for him. He has done well in the past (RTE Radio 1, 2FM Breakfast), It'stime for him to step it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

I can't stand Ryan Turbidy, on 2fm or the late late show, i'm glad he's on hloidays so that i don't have to injure listening to him

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

In fairness BBC radio is pretty **** too so I don't think Tubs going to the Beeb is going to be some big step up where he is 'found out'. Most radio presenters are just there to prevent dead-air, just to fill the air with any **** they can muster up. There will always be a few million idiots who'll listen to tripe (or watch it on tv) so Tubs will just be another one plugging a hole, not contributing anything creative or thoughtful. That's the reality of radio nowadays. My advice turn it off completely! Most people/places just have radio on for background noise anyways. Try amazonian rainforest sounds instead. Hell of a lot less stressful than 2fm!

Jonny, If you have Digital Radio, RTE are streaming it on 2XM every week he is on BBCR2.

http://blog.marketing.ie/?p=6599

im sure we will find a way to tune in LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think Daire O 'Brien is Wogan's natural successor on the BBC given another couple of decades under his belt

jimmynokia wrote: »

I want to apologise for the comments i made re Ryan Tubridy on here. He is a fraud, especially the way he manipulates tax clauses and then has the nerve to hint at overseas work in order to lubricate contract negotiations. He doesn't pay any tax but has the cheek to tell everyone else to be positive and keep their chin up. All the while, he is paid from licence fees contributed by Irish public. It is very fitting that Bono was a guest on his debut 2FM show. The crazy thing is that these guys think we should all look up to them when they treat the man on the street like dirt. And now he is to be awarded the freedom of Connemara even though he doesn't pay any tax. It's just beyond belief. I got it wrong, partly down to propaganda from RTE and also he was riding high at time of LL Toy Show. I almost feel sick now even to look at him. I was humiliated by RTE.

To JimmyNokia: Jimmy, if i was responsible for making you become a fan of Ryan then i feel it's necessary for me to tell you that now i feel that i got it wrong. You have taken my place and become a staunch defender of Ryan. Read back over some of the other contributors here and you may change your mind.

• Advertisement

Another prediction i will make is that Gar will be a huge success on Radio 1 this summer and could possibly take over from Ryan if we lose him. I know that i will be mocked for this but i don't care.

HI Ghiertal,

I'm intrigued by your volte-face on this thread.

In all seriousness I applaud your U turn, it takes a strong person to change their opinion, most would stubbornly defend a cause they no longer believe in.

Just wondering if you still have faith in Garret 'Gar' Tubridy (The Brother), is he still going to roll into Montrose, to make things better ?

I want to apologise for the comments i made re Ryan Tubridy on here. He is a fraud, especially the way he manipulates tax clauses and then has the nerve to hint at overseas work in order to lubricate contract negotiations.

I think you'll need to qualify that.. I havent heard any story about this in the last few days :confused:

(I'm gonna start defending Ryan from now on, just to confuse ye all even further.. :D )

You can listen to BBC Radio 2 by just clicking on their website. It's not like BBC TV where they don't allow people from outside of the UK to watch their programmes online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_two

I want to apologise for the comments i made re Ryan Tubridy on here. He is a fraud, especially the way he manipulates tax clauses and then has the nerve to hint at overseas work in order to lubricate contract negotiations. He doesn't pay any tax but has the cheek to tell everyone else to be positive and keep their chin up. All the while, he is paid from licence fees contributed by Irish public. It is very fitting that Bono was a guest on his debut 2FM show. The crazy thing is that these guys think we should all look up to them when they treat the man on the street like dirt. And now he is to be awarded the freedom of Connemara even though he doesn't pay any tax. It's just beyond belief. I got it wrong, partly down to propaganda from RTE and also he was riding high at time of LL Toy Show. I almost feel sick now even to look at him. I was humiliated by RTE.

To JimmyNokia: Jimmy, if i was responsible for making you become a fan of Ryan then i feel it's necessary for me to tell you that now i feel that i got it wrong. You have taken my place and become a staunch defender of Ryan. Read back over some of the other contributors here and you may change your mind.

wtf? :confused:

You can listen to BBC Radio 2 by just clicking on their website. It's not like BBC TV where they don't allow people from outside of the UK to watch their programmes online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_two

when is the first show is it next saturday?

when is the first show is it next saturday?

Next Saturday at 10am, I think.

Jimmy, it's news to me as well that you've become "a fan and a staunch defender" of Ryan Tubridy. ;):D

Long Article in The Irish Times today about Tubridy's flirtation with The BBC. I think he would swim the Irish Sea to get there, If they offered him a long term deal. He never makes any comment about being commited to RTE Radio - particuarly in the final paragraph

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0716/1224300809278.html
    RTÉ’s star broadcaster is heading off to the Beeb, to stand in for Graham Norton on Radio 2. Will it lead to greater things – and should the ‘Late Late’ host be paying more attention to his programmes back in Ireland?
    It’s a big show on a strong day for the station, so it’s important it works . . . We normally go for someone well known in the UK

CONSPIRACY THEORISTS at RTÉ worried about Ryan Tubridy’s plans should look away now. The producer assigned to the Dublin-born presenter for his upcoming stint on BBC Radio 2 is Alan Boyd, a seasoned veteran who was for years responsible for producing Terry Wogan’s hugely popular breakfast show. Such news is unlikely to allay nagging suspicions that by taking over Graham Norton’s Saturday-morning slot for eight weeks, Tubridy is positioning himself to do a Wogan and leave RTÉ for Britain’s biggest radio station.

“I know it could be seen that way, but it’s not the case at all,” says Lewis Carnie, head of programmes at BBC Radio 2. “I wanted to put Ryan with someone who was very experienced and knows what our listeners like.”
    Such calming reassurances abound when interested parties discuss the new gig, which starts next Saturday. “He’s always tried different things, so I’m perfectly happy for him to try things that don’t impact on his work at RTÉ,” says Tubridy’s boss on Irish radio, John McMahon, the head of 2FM. “I can’t control him doing that and I don’t want to.”

Tubridy, currently on holiday in Co Galway, professes surprise at the attention his latest move has attracted. “I’m not being disingenuous when I say that I think the interest in it is excessive,” he says. “Even here in Connemara people are coming up to me and saying, ‘Ah, you’re going to England,’ as if I’m leaving on a coffin ship to Boston. I’m only flying over on a Saturday for a few weeks.”

At face value, the 38-year-old presenter’s new venture is indeed innocuous. It won’t make too many demands on his time, with The Late Late Show in hiatus for most of its duration. Far from bristling at the move, RTÉ is simulcasting the BBC show on its digital radio station 2XM.
    But it is a significant step in Tubridy’s career. The show he takes over from Norton has an average audience of 2.5 million, dwarfing anything Tubridy hosts in Ireland. He has never hidden his ambition, and the new job is an opportunity to test new waters without having to leap overboard minus a lifebuoy.

It was his television skills that earned him the BBC invitation, when Carnie saw him hosting his previous TV chat show, Tubridy Tonight. He was initially approached to host a summer slot last year, but had to turn it down as he was completing his book, JFK in Ireland . When the corporation renewed the invitation this year, “there was no way it was not going to happen”, according to Tubridy. “It’s all down to curiosity. I’m someone who gorges on media, so when somewhere like the BBC offers such an interesting invitation I won’t turn it down. But it’s not part of some big plan.”

Carnie also plays down the stint. “It’s not an audition,” he says. “There’s no long-term plan, no agenda; it’s just a bit of fun.”
    Tubridy’s new slot is not a throwaway shift, however. “It’s very important, which is why Graham Norton presents it, and of course Jonathan Ross before that,” says Carnie. “It’s a big show on a strong day for the station, so it’s important to us that it works.”

This is why it is surprising that the BBC is handing over the reins to someone as unknown in the UK as Tubridy. “It is an unlikely move for us, because we normally go for someone well known,” Carnie says. It may not be an audition, but it seems fanciful that the BBC will not be taking notes for future reference.

Much will rest on how Tubridy fits into his new environment. The Norton format is not too different from that of the 2FM programme Tubridy has presented since Gerry Ryan’s death, last year, with music punctuated by celebrity interviews and frothy items, though one suspects that Tubridy’s patriotism and tear-jerking human-interest tales will be put on hold. “We’re not going to try and mould him,” says Carnie. “We have things we want to do, but there’ll be a lot of freedom for him to be himself.”

Should all go well, Tubridy seems a good fit for BBC Radio 2. With an average listener age of 51, it has specialist music shows at night but focuses on what Carnie calls “mainstream music entertainment” during peak hours.
    On paper, this profile is right for Tubridy. He played up his young-fogey tendencies even as a twentysomething presenter, arguably reaching his peak with his 2FM breakfast show, The Full Irish, which ran from 2002 to 2005. Whether a man with Tubridy’s urbane tendencies can emulate the saucy populism of Norton or chime with an audience used to the mass-market appeal of Radio 2 stars such as Chris Evans and Steve Wright is another matter.

At the moment, anyway, Tubridy is committed to RTÉ. “People seem to think I’m sitting in there plotting to leave, but I’m not,” he says. But he has not had an easy time there of late. Since he took over Ryan’s show (or two hours of it), audience numbers have dropped. The most recent figures for the slot show an average quarter-hour listenership of 133,000, down from a 2010 figure of 180,000 for Ryan.

“It obviously takes time for an audience to get used to a change,” says McMahon, but, even if this is true, a pop-focused station such as 2FM does not seem a natural home for Tubridy in the long term.
    He has also endured flak for his tenure on television hosting The Late Late Show , especially his soft-focus interview with Ronan Keating this year. Mockery of the show on Twitter reached such a peak last November that the presenter, an inveterate tweeter, threatened to quit the site. (He hasn’t.)

Tubridy works hard, and last year, as he juggled his JFK book and TV documentary with his other duties, there were concerns that he was spreading himself too thin. He says, however, that he “adores working” and feels he has got the balance right. He compares his current holiday to being handed a bottle of water at the crucial point of a marathon. But even before the BBC announcement there was nervousness at RTÉ about one person being so important to its fortunes. As it seeks cuts of €34 million over the next two years, Tubridy, believed to be RTÉ’s highest-paid star, may face a substantial salary reduction. With his contract up for renewal next year, he may feel that the network is no longer such a lucrative home.

In this context, turning a successful sideline in Britain into something bigger might be tempting. But it is a big if. The likes of Wogan and Norton followed a different trajectory from that of Tubridy. Wogan’s RTÉ career was in decline when he went to the BBC, and Norton never broadcast in Ireland. Both men started at the bottom in Britain and worked their way up.
    A more instructive, and cautionary, example comes in the form of Tubridy’s predecessor on The Late Late Show . In the mid-1980s Gay Byrne made a brief stab at hosting a daytime summer talk show on US TV, but it did not lead to a stateside breakthrough. Success in Ireland is not necessarily preparation for success elsewhere.

Wisely, Tubridy plays down expectations about his new venture. Asked what he would do if the BBC offered him a contract, he says: “I think we should leave ifs to the poets.” Instead, he characterises his latest move as “a bizarre blind date”. Whether it is a holiday fling or the start of a beautiful relationship remains to be seen.

Long Article in The Irish Times today about Tubridy's flirtation with The BBC. I think he would swim the Irish Sea to get there, If they offered him a long term deal. He never makes any comment about being commited to RTE Radio - particuarly in the final paragraph

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0716/1224300809278.html

He has also endured flak for his tenure on television hosting The Late Late Show , especially his soft-focus interview with Ronan Keating this year. Mockery of the show on Twitter reached such a peak last November that the presenter, an inveterate tweeter, threatened to quit the site. (He hasn’t.

i would say he has another twitter account the guy cant stay away from it
    unless he is realling the pain until he returns?

According to Tubridy. “It’s all down to curiosity. I’m someone who gorges on media... "
    He characterises his latest move as “a bizarre blind date”
    Asked what he would do if the BBC offered him a contract, he says: “I think we should leave ifs to the poets.”

God he is insufferably pretentious... It's like that interview that David Brent (The Office) did for the magazine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He doesn't pay any tax
    Would you care to back up this rubbish statement?

Advertisement