Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Aidric wrote: »
    Would you care to back up this rubbish statement?

I am guessing it's in relation to tax exemption on money made from his book on... who was it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

CAN YOUR BACK UP YOUR STATEMENT less of the rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I have just listened to the podcast on Graham Nortons show and DLB was on and is so pompous it sounds to me.Hopefully he will get a bigger slot so that he will stay there:p

:o:o:o

the man himself at 2.25

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b012h7kg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Firstly, anyone who got the Irish Times on Saturday was also treated to an expose of Tubridy's love for pencil sharpeners. He said that pencils are "old school" and recommended different models of sharpeners.

I didn't mean it literally when i said that Tubridy pays no tax however i do think it a bit rich for him to be pontificating from on high to the great unwashed to be positive and stop carping.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tubridys-sixfigure-payday-2817730.html

This is the article that angered me so deeply. To me it looks like tax gerrymandering especially when you consider that Tubridy is paid by licence receipts and advertising revenue accruing to RTE, a state company. If everyone else was able to set themselves up as a company when applying for a job then i am sure that the average joe could afford to be "Positive" and stop carping. Because when we actually listen to Tubridy on 2FM we are actually listening to a man who doesn't work for RTE.

All this "rubbish" where he takes the exact same amount out of the company on successive years plus director's loans and shareholder's funds doesn't sit well with me. I know this is old news and that others have been at it for a long time, but Tubridy's sanctimonious posturing is unprecendented in irish society.

So now we know that he took pay of 283k, 12k in loans and 34k in shareholders funds and we also know that he received 100k tax-free, after applying for artist tax-exemption, for his book. As he probably paid tax at 12.5% on the 283k this works out at 35,470. I'm going to leave out the loans and shares but combining his two main incomes he paid tax at 9.24%. I am not an accountant so if someone could verify my figures especially on the corporation tax rates i would appreciate it. If everyone earning high salaries(or even the average joe soap) was paying 9.2% tax then our economy would really be banjaxed. Aidric i am not going out of my way to anger you or Jimmynokia, it's just that i think that Tubridy is a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

God he is insufferably pretentious... It's like that interview that David Brent (The Office) did for the magazine..

i think he does it just irritate...surely nobody could be that bad

• Advertisement

i think he does it just irritate...surely nobody could be that bad

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2011/0716/1224300601957.html

RYAN TUBRIDY: Pencil sharpeners
    It was while working on his book JFK in Ireland in the National Library that broadcaster Ryan Tubridy rediscovered his love of pencils and sharpeners.
    “You’re not allowed to use ink in the library, but they have little pots of pencils that are gratis and there’s also a sharpening facility. Bringing your pencils to the sharpener was like taking the car to the petrol pump.”
    Tubridy discovered there was another advantage. “You find yourself spending a lot of time going to sharpen your pencil on a sort of study break. It’s like smoking a cigarette or making a cup of tea.”
    But having an excuse for a break wasn’t the only good thing about using a pencil and sharpener. “It’s a very lovely thing to sharpen a pencil,” says Tubridy. “Not only are the parings pretty and pleasurable to see, but when you put the newly-sharpened pencil to the page, one tiny scintilla of lead pops off.
    “You tap the pencil, then you get writing and then you flow for approximately two or three pages. Then it’s time to assess the lead levels and decide if you’ll go into the sharpening ceremony once more, or will you keep going? As you go on, the writing gets slightly less legible, more out of focus, and it’s now a different pencil. It’s the personality of the pencil, it changes with every sweep across the page.”
    Tubridy still uses pencils for Late Late Show briefing meetings. “It feels good. I like the scratch of it and it feels industrious and old school, which I like.”
    And he still appreciates the charm of a good pencil sharpener.
    “I don’t like the metal ones you got in school – you’d get lead all over your hands. They do have a nice industrial revolution feel, but you can succumb to modernity enough to get a good plastic one, because you’ll get a better sharpening from it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ghiertal wrote: »
    As he probably paid tax at 12.5% on the 283k this works out at 35,470.

As far as I'm aware, he will be paying himself a wage from his "company".. and this will be taxed using the same bands as everybody else... It is ridiculous that the Government apply that USC (Universal Social Charge) to even the lowest paid, yet this lad is allowed to get 100k tax free even though he already earns more than the Taoiseach.. Any exemption as such should be means tested..

“It’s a very lovely thing to sharpen a pencil,” says Tubridy. “Not only are the parings pretty and pleasurable to see, but when you put the newly-sharpened pencil to the page, one tiny scintilla of lead pops off.

JFK's reaction on being read the above article:
    JFK-Cuban-Missle-Crisis-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Jesus. 'The personality of the pencil'...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Tubbers mustn't have much on his mind if he can talk such shyte about pencils for so long. :rolleyes:

Is that the greatest load of tosh you ever read?:(.And all about a pencil and sharpener:eek:.How sad:rolleyes:.Geek:mad:

• Advertisement

Tubbers mustn't have much on his mind if he can talk such shyte about pencils for so long. :rolleyes:

Him and other RTE stars haven't a clue about trying to scrape together a few quid to pay a mortgage or such like.These people are not living in the real world:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It was while working on his book JFK in Ireland in the National Library that broadcaster Ryan Tubridy rediscovered his love of pencils and sharpeners.
    “You’re not allowed to use ink in the library, but they have little pots of pencils that are gratis and there’s also a sharpening facility. Bringing your pencils to the sharpener was like taking the car to the petrol pump.”
    Tubridy discovered there was another advantage. “You find yourself spending a lot of time going to sharpen your pencil on a sort of study break. It’s like smoking a cigarette or making a cup of tea.”
    But having an excuse for a break wasn’t the only good thing about using a pencil and sharpener. “It’s a very lovely thing to sharpen a pencil,” says Tubridy. “Not only are the parings pretty and pleasurable to see, but when you put the newly-sharpened pencil to the page, one tiny scintilla of lead pops off.
    “You tap the pencil, then you get writing and then you flow for approximately two or three pages. Then it’s time to assess the lead levels and decide if you’ll go into the sharpening ceremony once more, or will you keep going? As you go on, the writing gets slightly less legible, more out of focus, and it’s now a different pencil. It’s the personality of the pencil, it changes with every sweep across the page.”
    Tubridy still uses pencils for Late Late Show briefing meetings. “It feels good. I like the scratch of it and it feels industrious and old school, which I like.”
    And he still appreciates the charm of a good pencil sharpener.
    “I don’t like the metal ones you got in school – you’d get lead all over your hands. They do have a nice industrial revolution feel, but you can succumb to modernity enough to get a good plastic one, because you’ll get a better sharpening from it.”
    sweet divine mother of christ....wtf????

I've said this before but why does he call ordinary every day normal things..."old school"....

i have seen it all now i thought him going on yesterday about top cat on twitter was enough but this takes the biscuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i have seen it all now i thought him going on yesterday about top cat on twitter was enough but this takes the biscuit

Watching Top Cat on Boomerang. Feline Mad Men. #oldschool

The phrase 'Words Fail' actually fails!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I give up :rolleyes:
    Please let the BBC hold on to him.

tubbers take pay cut

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists/gerry-ocarroll/gerry-ocarroll-how-canny-ryan-may-end-up-better-off-by-taking-a-huge-pay-cut-2826446.html

By Gerry O'Carroll
    Wednesday July 20 2011

THE penny has finally dropped for Ryan Tubridy.

Or the hundreds of thousands of euro.

In an interview ahead of his BBC debut, subbing for Graham Norton this Saturday, Tubs has revealed that he will happily take a 30pc cut in his salary in his next contract negotiation with RTE.

He earns over €530,000 a year, according to the latest figures. It's an extraordinary salary, in the current climate.

Tubridy was criticised in 2009 for not taking a voluntary pay cut, for legal reasons, making a charity donation instead.

But he's elected to come out ahead of the posse this time, moving quickly to lay out his stall. Why now?

Well, bear in mind the recent reports that RTE director general Noel Curran plans to cut fees to big-name contractors like Tubridy by 2013. And cut by how much? Up to 30pc.

So Tubridy has smartly stepped in and nabbed the positive PR on this one, telling us he has "to reflect reality".

In doing so he has thrown down an awkward gauntlet to his fellow top earners such as Pat Kenny and Marian Finucane, among others. Will they follow with a similar commitment?

In the past I have defended the salaries of many of RTE's top earners, and I stand over the argument that the top talent should be well paid.

BLARNEY

But as times worsen, reductions in pay are needed. Major salaries from the public purse cannot be justified as the country faces into further cuts.

So expect a few more Tubridy-style pledges as Mr Curran reviews his stars' paperwork over the next 18 months. But these D4 stay-at-homes are different to Tubridy, who is embarking on a major career step by taking the helm of Norton's BBC 2 Radio show.

He fancies himself as another Terry Wogan, a charming Irishman whose blarney wooed and enthralled Middle England. Whether he emerges as one, remains to be seen.

Either way, his pay cut commitment will hardly endear him to his colleagues facing cuts at Montrose.

Mind you, if he makes it in London salary worries will be a thing of the past for Tubridy. Norton makes an estimated €2.3m a year. So in the end it could a win-win for RTE's boy wonder.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    THE penny has finally dropped for Ryan Tubridy.

Or the hundreds of thousands of euro.

In an interview ahead of his BBC debut, subbing for Graham Norton this Saturday, Tubs has revealed that he will happily take a 30pc cut in his salary in his next contract negotiation with RTE.

I doubt Tubridy ever said that he would agree to a 30% pay cut, maybe he said something along the lines of "We all have to pull together" and that he might look and see what cuts are coming down the line. There is simply no way he would have said that he is agreeable to such a cut. We all know his form from two years ago and that of his mates in that stinking cesspool.
    What does he need half a million for? He seems to delight in simple pleasures such as smelling a book, sharpening pencils and jelly tots, or that is if we are to believe the persona he has created. I agree with the author in that Tubridy is playing a game here, in order to be seen making a gesture. Tubridy reveals nothing of his true self in the media and RTE bosses stupid enough not to see this should be warned that he could be the ruination of the state broadcaster, as he has grabbed so much power from within the institution. He wouldn't have dated Aoibhinn, have children, published a book, hosted LLS at 36 by actually being the person we are supposed to believe. He is a conniving, manipulative, sly, machiavellian, political man who is deceiving people from within RTE. The most salient fact is that he has absolutely no loyalty towards any of us and would head off to a British broadcaster in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,531 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Since Wossy left the beeb, I've been listening to Claire Bry...I mean Marian on a Saturday morning. But I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow to see how the boy Tubs gets on. Confirmed first guests - Alastair Campbell and Andrea Corr.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0131yms

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0711/tubridyr.html

Listeners in Ireland will be able to hear the first programme on digital station 2XM which is available on DAB and DTT (Saorview).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Just a reminder to all you Tubridy Fans :) that his BBC Radio 2 show starts tomorrow (10 am - 1 pm)

You can listen on 2XM if you have Digital Radio in Ireland, or it can be heard on Sky Digital (through other channels) or Freesat or live online at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_two

• Advertisement

I'll be on that podcast tomorrow evening like a shot to see how he embarrasses us has gotten on............No I dont mean I literally will be on the show:p

jimmyw wrote: »
    I'll be on that podcast tomorrow evening like a shot to see how he embarrasses us has gotten on............No I dont mean I literally will be on the show:p

im slightly fcuked had to fly to cork this morning can i get this on galaxy tab or phone

tubbers has been active on twitter he is sitting on wogans chair

All the usual subjects present and correct ...

10.07 - First mention of Obama (How he met him at College Green)

10.12 - First mention of JFK (Texter from New Ross, home of The Kennedys)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This, from the Herald article....

"Tubridy [did not take] a voluntary pay cut [in 2009], for legal reasons, making a charity donation instead."

I thought he couldn't afford the paycut because, as a young father, he had financial commitments... But he could afford to give a huge wodge to charity. What?
    And what are these 'legal reasons'?

Skid wrote: »
    All the usual subjects present and correct ...

10.07 - First mention of Obama (How he met him at College Green)

10.12 - First mention of JFK (Texter from New Ross, home of The Kennedys)

ah no way he will be fired after first show

Cant get this on iplayer on galaxy tab

The Traffic Girl made the mistake of talking to him, he then had a bizarre rant about how he doesn't like wedges-style shoes on Women.

It's 'classic' Tubridy, just waiting for him to talk about pencils now.

A lot more music than his 2FM show. Andrea Corr and Alistair Campbell are his guests later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Traffic Girl made the mistake of talking to him, he then had a bizarre rant about how he doesn't like wedges-style shoes on Women.

I'm with him on that one, hideous designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭david23

Bobbie Pryor - she is second from the right in this photo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/evans/galleries/3848/25/

The BBC Radio 2 policy is for the travel girls to become part of the shows and interact with the DJs, rather than just read out the travel.

• Advertisement

It's 'classic' Tubridy, just waiting for him to talk about pencils now.

A lot more music than his 2FM show. Andrea Corr and Alistair Campbell are his guests later.

is there a forum in the uk where we can see peoples thoughts,maybe we can all exchange these thoughts

Advertisement