Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Skid wrote: »
    All the usual subjects present and correct ...

10.07 - First mention of Obama (How he met him at College Green)

10.12 - First mention of JFK (Texter from New Ross, home of The Kennedys)

10.43 - Mad Men briefly mentioned (I'm not making this up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Listening to him now and he seems ok. Settling in nicely. Once the name dropping stops and the pot herbs settle down I think he's doing fine.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    is there a forum in the uk where we can see peoples thoughts,maybe we can all exchange these thoughts

Nothing on Digital Spy, Jimmy. NOt sure where else it might be discussed.

10.48 - Texter listening online in Boston, Tubs tells him to go to the Boston JFK Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There is a definite feel of finding his feet about it. I detect some hesitancy which isn't noticeable in the 2FM show. Solid start all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Good Morning Skid (and everyong else), I couldnt miss this.. :D

After receiving a text from Boston, MA...

"Go to the JFK museum, spend four hours gorging on all the stuff in there if that's your bag".. :)

He's talking way too fast.. They may as well have sent Fanning over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

This, from the Herald article....

"Tubridy [did not take] a voluntary pay cut [in 2009], for legal reasons, making a charity donation instead."

I thought he couldn't afford the paycut because, as a young father, he had financial commitments... But he could afford to give a huge wodge to charity. What?
    And what are these 'legal reasons'?

The Herald got a couple of things wrong. Tubridy came out with the giving to charity idea at first, but eventually relented and took the cut. I have no idea how, but it was something to do with his divorce settlement. And Pat Kenny has already had the 30% pay cut.

Tbf that was entirely relevant as they were discussing a similar show from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

He's also mentioned Bond themes in the first hour. Typical Tubridy fare.

Re. the fast talking, I think we Irish do speak a lot faster than the British. I have an English friend who's always telling me that I speak too fast but I speak at pretty much the same speed as everyone else that I know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

He's also mentioned Bond themes in the first hour. Typical Tubridy fare.

Re. the fast talking, I think we Irish do speak a lot faster than the British. I have an English friend who's always telling me that I speak too fast but I speak at pretty much the same speed as everyone else that I know. :D

he is on his rollercoaster ride he is testing the water to see what he can do to turn the show into his own QUICKLY

is there a forum in the uk where we can see peoples thoughts,maybe we can all exchange these thoughts

Found this one, Jimmy

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1461834

Although most of the posts are from before the start of the show, and hello to Mike65 who posted there today, Isn't he one of our posters? :)

• Advertisement

He's currently playing Bowie's "Changes". Isn't that a bit too modern for Tubbers? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

waves to Skid! :)

mike65 wrote: »
    waves to Skid! :)

lol im sure we will see more threads pop up an of course the tabloids will have their input.

Alastair Campbell complaining about untruths in the press. :rolleyes:
    Fecking hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

He's doing a lot of verbal stumbling and stuttering, the UK public are not used to that...take a breath Tubs!

He did alright with that Alistair Campbell interview, be interesting to see what the reaction is in the UK to this show.

It's much handier than his 2FM Show, he doesn't have to speak to real people, just whatever Celebs are plugging their wares. Less airtime to fill, because there is more music.

Just lay off the JFK and Mad Men references a bit, and slow down.

For what he is, I thought he had a good start.. Couples of things that would worry me ... (i.e. worry me in the sense that BBC wont want to take him off our hands on a full time basis)

He went back to all his mantras like as if he brought his safety blanket with him.. JFK, Mad Men, Wedges, Twitter etc etc... But the format of the show saves him from himself at times, because his self indulgent nonsense is frequently broken up by music..

I can see Bobbi getting seriously pissed off with him by Week 2... That relationship is going to spiral quicker than his relationship with Emma Counihan..

I've decided to merge both threads as I know it will become a nightmare to manage. So all Ryan Tubridy posts relating to radio can go in this thread

Seems like Tubridy is back with his Rose..

Aoibhinn Stands By Her Man Ryan In BBC Debut

Ryan Tubridy and girlfriend Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain are firmly back on track after the radio star asked the stunning rose to be by his side in London to support him on his debut with the BBC.

Only moments after he came off air a relieved Ryan quietly confided that he hoped he had done his girlfriend proud. "I'm very well supported and it's important to have her there for the first one. It's a very big event for me. And I hope she's proud."

My favourites:
    "I'm relieved because I spent the last few days feeling like I was about to do Leaving Cert maths paper one"..
    "I think I'll leave the 'ifs' to the poets"

Let's see how fresh he sounds after the BBC have listened to 8 weeks of him reciting his mantras and his repetitive, Groundhog Day broadcasting.. School, Mad Men, Beatles, American politics, wedges, annoying the female traffic reporter.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Another article about what people said about his debut on the Twitter machine.. Generally positive..

How Ryan Tubridy's BBC Debut Went Down With Listeners
    But the show – which also saw Ryan educate listeners on the proper pronunciation of his surname – went off without a hitch, giving UK radio fans their first taste of Tubs. It was also broadcast in Ireland on RTÉ’s 2XM digital station.

plenty of words in todays papers will post up later and his on/off misses flew over to support him but he flirts with a girl on air and he is already labeled a weirdo,and he is also called boring and people want graham back immediately.well done there Ryan the UK dont want your twitter twitter jfk madmen ladies shoes talk over there either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Radio audiences are (as well all know!) very conservative, some fella standing in for a familiar voice will never be accepted quickly and he only has one day a week for eight weeks to make an impression. Up against it.

It's spelled article and where exactly is the article in that link? It's a link to a hate filled chat forum. You're scraping the bottom of that barrel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Lads, will you be careful what you say, what if some BBC exec. were to stumble across this thread? What would they think?

Nigel, if your reading,
    Ryan is a truly terrific broadcaster, I think it’s great that he has this opportunity to showcase his talents to the good people at the BBC.

I think it’s only fitting that the UK license fee payers should get a chance to hear our brightest and best paid presenter. I do worry that they may become attached to him and might want to extend his contract.

I would hate to be deprived of his fabulous repertoire every morning and the ease at which he can cover a whole range of subjects, but I did fear a talent like his would be poached eventually, I suppose we have to let him go sometime. I’m only glad thats it’s to our dear friends in the UK.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Poly wrote: »
    Lads, will you be careful what you say, what if some BBC exec. were to stumble across this thread? What would they think?

Nigel, if your reading,
    Ryan is a truly terrific broadcaster, I think it’s great that he has this opportunity to showcase his talents to the good people at the BBC.

I think it’s only fitting that the UK license fee payers should get a chance to hear our brightest and best paid presenter. I do worry that they may become attached to him and might want to extend his contract.

I would hate to be deprived of his fabulous repertoire every morning and the ease at which he can cover a whole range of subjects, but I did fear a talent like his would be poached eventually, I suppose we have to let him go sometime. I’m only glad thats it’s to our dear friends in the UK.;)

Your not seriously saying we would be at a loss if he was poached over there permanent?At least then maybe RTE would finally bin TLLS and we wouldnt have to suffer his ramblings on the radio either.I say take him, take him.

Poly wrote: »

Hey Poly ;) I think we would have a better chance of them keeping him if he was only standing in for three or four weeks... He carried the show well for his first go, but the more shows he does the more they will realise the limited range of topics he is willing or prepared to talk about..

Aidric wrote: »
    It's spelled article and where exactly is the article in that link? It's a link to a hate filled chat forum. You're scraping the bottom of that barrel again.

if ANYBODY is scraping the barrell its you trying to save your mate tubs from more bad press,full stop. Lets just see how long he lasts and what the UK think of him like i said earlier he has already been called a weirdo and people want graham back so lets wait for more reports to come through.

if ANYBODY is scraping the barrell its you trying to save your mate tubs from more bad press,full stop. Lets just see how long he lasts and what the UK think of him like i said earlier he has already been called a weirdo and people want graham back so lets wait for more reports to come through.

It'll break your heart when he makes a success of it.

Aidric wrote: »
    It'll break your heart when he makes a success of it.

somehow the word you picked WHEN wont happen i would actually bet you on that now

jimmy Nokia warned about future conduct. Your constant posting in this thread negatively about Ryan Tubridy is wearing thin. Continue to do so will result in a lengthy ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

bbability wrote: »
    jimmy Nokia warned about future conduct. Your constant posting in this thread negatively about Ryan Tubridy is wearing thin. Continue to do so will result in a lengthy ban
    WTF...What kind of forum is this, pro RT comments only allowed???

Advertisement