Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is anyone else listening to this cr@p?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is anyone else listening to this cr@p?
    What's happenin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

What's happenin?

as said earlier death famine caramel bunnys etc check out twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What's happenin?

Its like a bloody radio version of cbeebies

listening to his amy winehouse podcast now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was listening earlier and he had an author in talking about some murders cases which he had written about. One of the cases was about the 'the westies' Suggs and Coates who were murdered and buried in Spain ( no harm btw). Now I couldn't believe it but Tubridy had never heard of these guys. And this from the supposed flag ship current affairs program on 2fm.

I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised though:rolleyes:

And one other thing, so he wasnt actually on holiday in las Vegas as it turns out. Our tv license paid him to do a bit of filming!! That's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

todays show was possibly, one of the worst shows he's done, so far.
    how long did he ****e on about cartoon characters for?? the first caller this morning was utter nonsense too. it took them both about 6 minutes to actually get to the point of her phoning in! then he played her tune throughout the morning. it wasnt that funny. at this stage now, he should announce to the public that his show is aimed at mothers with small kids, who can then text in and tell ryan that they were just dancing mad around the kitchen with their 5 year old when he played a kids tv tune or upbeat elvis song etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Awful shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

jvan wrote: »
    Was listening earlier and he had an author in talking about some murders cases which he had written about. One of the cases was about the 'the westies' Suggs and Coates who were murdered and buried in Spain ( no harm btw). Now I couldn't believe it but Tubridy had never heard of these guys. And this from the supposed flag ship current affairs program on 2fm.

I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised though:rolleyes:

Does the highly paid Mr Tubs do any research or preparation for his show?
    or just does he just wing it every morning hoping that twitter or the papers might spark a topic that can fill 2 hours?

Poly wrote: »
    Jeezus wept, when are the ratings due up again?

JNLR's out today apparently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

It seems the purpose of this thread is to listen to Tubridy, then rush here to say how dreadful he is and how he should be taken off the air etc etc etc.

Its curious how those who claim to hate his show are the ones who rush here to say they have listened and how dreadful it is!

easychair wrote: »
    It seems the purpose of this thread is to listen to Tubridy, then rush here to say how dreadful he is and how he should be taken off the air etc etc etc.

Its curious how those who claim to hate his show are the ones who rush here to say they have listened and how dreadful it is!
    it's the ryan tubridy radio shows megathread? To discuss Tubridy's shows. What would you like us to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

i have no choice but to listen to it. its on at my place of work and im not allowed to change the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

it's the ryan tubridy radio shows megathread? To discuss Tubridy's shows. What would you like us to discuss?

It's the nature of the discussion upon which I commented. Reading the thread, it does seem as if many listen to the show, then rush here to say how dreadful it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tubridy's audience for his 2fm morning slot continued a marked slide seen in the last set of figures, according to the JNLR/Ipsos MRBI survey. Tubridy, who began presenting a summer show for BBC Radio 2 last Saturday, recorded a drop of 16,000 to 186,000 listeners.

The show continues to haemmorage users ....

The British response ??

lord-kitchener.jpg

Oh and I have a contribution to make to his word combinations...

Pompobsh1te (pronounced pom-pob-shyte) = a pompous gobsh1te

I texted it in, but alas he did not read it out.. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

It's the nature of the discussion upon which I commented. Reading the thread, it does seem as if many listen to the show, then rush here to say how dreadful it is!
    Why shouldn't we it's good fun! Do YOU listen to the show? It is really terrible. Opinions of boardsies on here such as Jimmynokia are only reflecting the actual quality and integrity of the falango. Poly suggested on here that there seems to be very little research and i have to agree because most days he just reads texts endlessly. Someone else said that his BBC show has alot more music but he often plays 8/9 songs per 2 hour 2fm programme. I listened to the start this morning to see how he would approach the Melanie Verwoerd/Unicef saga but instead he was discussing the canteen fridge with the newsreader and after this he played a song. He just flitted over the headlines and focused on listener messages .

Tubridy was at he same old garbage this week in suggesting that he is a workaholic.

Are you familiar with the normal working week?
    Tubridy:I've heard of it. I read about it in a book once. I normally do a six-day week myself. Five days on the radio and then one night on the TV so it's a long week.
    As somebody in the public eye, do you actually look forward to your time off or are you always desperate to be doing something work-related?
    Tubridy:I think what happens is it's kind of like running a race and towards the end of the season. You start to think, 'I need to stop talking now because they're getting a bit sick of me and I'm becoming a pain in the neck', and then you go on your holidays and on day 10 of 14 you think, 'I'm looking forward to going back now'. I'm a restless soul so I love working. The joy of the daily radio show is that I can go anywhere, it's like constantly screeching around a corner in a car, and then the chat show is live, so that equally can go anywhere, so it's the perfect job for the easily distracted creature.

How does he work a six day week. His propensity for self-promotion is sickening and his self-aggrandisement when name-dropping on BBC show is equally nauseating.This is a guy who takes about 15 weeks holidays per year. If he is such a workaholic why did he insist on cutting back the 2fm show from 3 hours to 2 hours. He is like a politician who repeats the same mantra to fool a gullible public. He is a complete hypocrite, he said that he feels like he is wearing the green jersey over at the BBC when the primary reason for his sojourn is to force more money out of the state employer. His obsession with children mirrors that a parish priest in 1950's rural Ireland. It's like he is constantly trying to put himself in contact with kiddies. His appearance at the start of last year's LLS Toy Show is even more disturbing in this context. I think this is a major reason for his drop in numbers as most ordinary people, men and women, don't get all sugary and sweet over youngsters. But the main reason is that the show is just lazy and boring. For the first time in my life i have become a regular listener to local radio. Tubridy's drop is a serious issue for both 2fm and RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

My thoughts exactly, listened .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

It'll be interesting to see what he says about the listener figures, the last time round it was "give us a chance, we're new here"

That doesn't really wash one year on from taking over from Gerry

Yes but if you heard the show the first thing you would want to do is complain, it's brutal....altogether now....the wheels on the bus...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tubridy's audience for his 2fm morning slot continued a marked slide seen in the last set of figures, according to the JNLR/Ipsos MRBI survey. Tubridy, who began presenting a summer show for BBC Radio 2 last Saturday, recorded a drop of 16,000 to 186,000 listeners.

Everybody, please stay positive.

Tubbs is a legend.. he has about 4 things to say, no aptitude for the job whatsoever, cannot engage with people and earns a fortune for it!! We are the idiots!!

at what number will RTE pull the plug?

i presume they are going for a niche market (toddlers and mothers) ...I cannot fathom how any other station in the world can decide that their biggest morning show should become a small niche show just to appease the presenter or to suit his "talents" (if talent is talking about cartoons)
    “Talk of Ray D'Arcy having 26,000 listeners more than Ryan Tubridy is nonsense. Clearly a two-hour show and a three-hour show cannot be compared. The gap is much, much less," John McMahon, Head of 2fm said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I have to say I enjoyed "Tune That Name It's A Copyright Thing" this morning, although how somebody with an average intelligence couldn't have figured out that a song involving a day that every girl dreams about (wedding) sung by an 1980's idol (Billy) wasn't "White Wedding" is beyond me.

I'll name it in zero notes Tubbers! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Haven't listened to his 2FM show in ages, but I've never heard any presenter (male or female) so obsessed with Womens' Shoes. More of it today on BBC Radio 2.

Is there a punchline to this running joke, or is he just a big fan of Womens' Shoes?

I'm listening too.. He's actually a lot more bearable on that show.. Only one mention of Downtown Abbey boxset, and the frequent music interruptions help to stop him going off on his self indulgents tagents, like a set of stabilizers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just to let listeners know that Tubridy's summer programmes on BBC Radio two (Saturday mornings 10am) can also be listened to on RTE 2XM, (well certainly the last two Saturdays have been relayed on 2XM), so I presume the relay will continue for the full eight weeks?

Anybody who has a DAB radio - Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Magnolia 'messiah' pledges to do better

As anticipated, Ryan Tubridy exploded on to British airwaves with a whimper

Ireland has always exported its problems to England. Sadly, nothing much seems to have changed in that respect. If anything, it's got worse -- for the Brits, at least -- with the arrival on their airwaves of one Ryan Tubridy.
    That's Tubridy as in Tub (to rhyme with "pub")-riddy, by the way, not "Tube-riddy", as he patronisingly pointed out to his new listeners on the first instalment of his summer guest slot on BBC Radio Two. You'd think the British ear was totally unable to comprehend any name more mysterious than Smith or Jones. If his name was Micheal O Muircheartaigh, you could understand a gentle pointer in the direction of correct enunciation. But Tubridy? That's as plainly phonetic a name as you'll ever come across, and hardly problematic for a country of 60 million people, not all of whom are as Anglo-Saxon as woad in this multicultural age; but Ryan still felt the need to read out an email from the BBC's in-house pronunciation linguist making everything clear.
    "They have this same problem in Ireland," he even reassured listeners.
    Really? There are Irish people still ignorant of the correct way to say the boy Ryan's name, despite the fact RTE has been pushing him on to us like a drug dealer peddling a particularly inoffensive brand of crack since he was practically out of his stroller? Where have these people been living -- under a rock?
    Of course, to call Ryan Tubridy a "problem" is being a little unkind. He's mainly a problem to RTE which, for all its faith in him as the Messiah of Irish broadcasting, still hasn't quite settled what to do with him. One moment he was supposed to be the next Pat Kenny; then the next Gerry Ryan; meanwhile, we were all supposed to fall for the myth that he was channelling Gay Byrne's mojo, even as he made such a hash of the Late, Late Show that some viewers started to think of the Kenny years as a veritable Golden Age by comparison. The latest Joint National Listenership Research figures showing that he has lost a third of Gerry Ryan's listeners since taking over the late 2FM legend's morning slot last September, the biggest drop of any show on Irish radio, is startling proof of that. Far from being annoyed at Tubridy for trying out the BBC's lifeboat for eight weeks whilst on sabbatical from Donnybrook, RTE might well be considering it an opportunity for someone else to take him in hand and lick him into shape, like a young man on national service, before coming home leaner and fitter.
    If so, it may be disappointed. Tubridy himself admitted in interviews before heading to London that he doesn't really have a distinctive broadcasting personality to stamp on his many vehicles, unless "unthreatening and affable" counts as a distinguishing trait. His first show last weekend proved that practically from the off. It was very much a Tubridy show; the drawback is that true Tubridy doesn't have much flavour.
    That's what all the great Irish broadcasters who made it big across the water had going for them. They were entirely themselves, but what they were was distinctive enough to be immediately graspable. From Eamonn Andrews to Terry Wogan to Graham Norton (into whose shoes Tubridy is temporarily stepping) to the great Gaybo himself, to hear them once was to know them -- or at least the audience thought they did, which was an achievement in itself.
    Interestingly, the Irish personalities who do best overseas are those who, though Irish to the core, don't appear to be that hung up on their own Irishness -- and who, not unconnectedly, often exasperate a certain sort of uptight uber-Irish person for not being "Irish enough". Wogan was effortlessly urbane in a way that connected immediately with people at home and in the Home Counties alike; Byrne would have fitted in seamlessly anywhere he went, from London to LA; Graham Norton is, well, Graham Norton. If he ever gives the fact that he is Irish a second thought, he certainly wouldn't give it a third. He is what he is. Gerry Ryan would have been huge had he ever made the switch to the UK because, though Dublin to the core, his too was an open, down-to- earth personality type which transcends differences.
    Ryan Tubridy, by contrast, is very self-consciously Irish. He's also a very particular sort of Irish person with whom British audiences are much less familiar. Tubridy is an Irish Times Irishman, a Dublin 4 Irishman, patrician from the top of his carefully snipped haircut to the bottom of his shiny shoes. Tubridy would never just wing it and see what happens. He'll research it first like a civil servant and then provide whatever it is he thinks the audience is expecting. With footnotes, if necessary. Cross-referenced. In alphabetical order.
    His first show was such textbook BBC Radio Two that it might have been a parody. It's not so much that there was nothing here to frighten the horses, but that there was nothing to raise an eyebrow on a sleepy donkey. That was the Beatles, and now here's the weather, and join me after the break when I'll be asking Andrea Corr about her new album. Oh, and did I mention the time I met President Obama and the Queen? Tubridy actually promised to play a James Bond theme each week. There's a man who's not afraid to embrace his inner Alan Partridge . . .
    Ryan Tubridy has never portrayed himself as the future of broadcasting. It's other people who've done that. Indeed, his own assessment of his first show was that he "must do better and will do better". Bragging is so not Radio Two, after all. But it's hard to know exactly what he intends to do differently, since he's not exactly what you'd call versatile. He comes in only one colour -- and that's magnolia. It's never going to offend anyone's sensibilities, but they're not going to get excited about it either.
    Ironically, in the same week that Tubridy was exploding on to the British airwaves with a whimper rather than a bang, Terry Wogan was trending on Twitter following his brilliantly self-deflating appearance as guest host on TV rock quiz Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Sir Terry is 72, proving yet again that youth is neither here nor there. You either have it or you don't, and Wogan has so much of it that he could set up a distribution company leasing it out and still have enough left over for personal use to easily shame all the young poseurs coming up behind. Gay Byrne's cut from the same cloth. It's called class.
    As for the final word on the BBC's latest seasonal acquisition, we'll leave that to the Irish blogger who declared: "I really hope they like him so much that they keep him."
    Ouch.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/magnolia-messiah-pledges-to-do-better-2835982.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I came across a link to the programme when loking for another programme on BBC R2 website.

At least they are calling it "Ryan Tubridy". RTE have the insane habit of continuing with the presenters name even if they are on their extended summer break, e.g. the RTE site has Maiion Finucane in their listings and only mentioning Claire Byrne when you go on to the homepage for the programme.

Listened to some of the Ryan Tubridy show from yesterday. Harmless stuff, going on and on about nerd jokes. Very litle creative & not nearly as funny as Graham Norton imo.

Advertisement