Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Why does anyone come here just to engage in what I imagine is the irish habit of looking for bad things to say about others? What is it about Irish people that they have to knock anyone who has been successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

easychair wrote: »
    Why does anyone come here just to engage in what I imagine is the irish habit of looking for bad things to say about others? What is it about Irish people that they have to knock anyone who has been successful?

He is successful at being promoted in RTE beyond his abilities, but
    his radio show is a train wreck, shedding listeners at every survey.
    If he was in a private media organisation, he would've been canned long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Why is Bard editing easychair's messages? He has never edited any of my mistakes, is it because he wants to make me and other critics look stupid. Why are other people being banned for criticising Tubridy? It seems as if only supportive input on Tubridy is allowed on here now. Posters should be permitted to give their opinions. If this whole forum is just full of people loving Tubridy it will become very banal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

easychair wrote: »

I think people are entitled to their views. A lot of listeners have already expressed those views by switching off, as evidenced by the latest JNLR figures. There are some aspects of the Tubridy Show that I enjoy, such as Tune That Name, the recent spelling Bee etc. but there are other aspects of the show that leave me speechless, such as on one of his shows last week when he mentioned Mad Men about 3 times between 9.00 and 9.30. Tubbers has to realise that Mad Men is watched by a tiny minority audience and most of us don't give a toss about it. I found myself switching off that morning because I could see where that particular show was going. I would also take issue with him skimming over one of the headlines in last week's papers involving Gerry Ryan and Melanie Verwoerd during his newspaper review. What happened to objective journalism??

Unless an RTE bigwig has a discussion with Tubbs about where he's taking the show then it's going to continue to leak listeners by the thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

ghiertal wrote: »
    Why is Bard editing easychair's messages? He has never edited any of my mistakes, is it because he wants to make me and other critics look stupid. Why are other people being banned for criticising Tubridy? It seems as if only supportive input on Tubridy is allowed on here now. Posters should be permitted to give their opinions. If this whole forum is just full of people loving Tubridy it will become very banal.

bard is a moderator and can edit as required by a moderator. Warned on this occasion but future back seat nodding will result in a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

According to The Herald, Tubridy is a getting a new producer, although it's the same one he had on Radio 1.

No harm at all - he badly needs someone to direct the flow of the 2FM programme, and reel in his self indulgent ramblings.

His BBC show is much more listenable, partially because he doesn't have as much freedom to control the content.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubs-2fm-show-to-get-a-shakeup-in-bid-to-woo-back-110000-listeners-2837368.html

RYAN Tubridy's 2fm show is to get a shake-up in a move to boost listener figures.
    New producer Paul Russell, has been lined up to take over the 9-11am programme from September.

He also worked with Tubridy (38) on his Radio 1 show, which eventually became one of the station's most successful.
    However, the self-styled young fogey's move to 2fm has fallen well short of expectations, with the slot losing 110,000 listeners from the late Gerry Ryan's time in the hot seat.
    Tubridy, who earns more than €500,000 a year, took over the programme following Ryan's untimely death last year.

The show has also failed to attract a sponsor, despite initial hopes of it landing a major deal.
    A spokesman for RTE confirmed Mr Russell would be taking up the position of producer-in-charge on 'Tubridy'.
    Every September elements of the radio schedule may change -- and even when that does not happen, production teams change, he told the Herald. "[Paul] is a staff producer on RTE and he previously produced Ryan Tubridy [on Radio 1]," the spokesman said.
    He insisted the change is "by no means unusual".
    The spokesman confirmed the programme is "in the market for a sponsor at the moment".

The latest radio listenership figures revealed a further drop for Tubridy, continuing the trend of recent months.
    He recorded a drop of 16,000 listeners since the last report, scraping in at 19 in the top 20 most listened to programmes.
    The JNLR/Ipsos MRBI survey released last week covered the period July 2010 to June 2011. Now just 186,000 listeners tune in to 'Tubridy' on weekdays, compared with 296,000 listeners in May 2010.

RTE head of radio Clare Duignan defended the figures, saying the show had found its "rhythm".
    In the meantime, Tubridy is standing in for Graham Norton on BBC Radio 2 over the summer.

Mr Russell is a highly respected radio producer in RTE, recently winning a prestigious award for the documentary Don't Go Far.
    Along with fellow RTE producer Ronan Kelly, Mr Russell told the story of the amazing journey of two young boys from Dublin to New York in 1985.
    Don't Go Far helped RTE Radio win the Broadcaster of the Year prize at the 2011 New York Festivals Radio Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Skid wrote: »
    According to The Herald, Tubridy is a getting a new producer, although it's the same one he had on Radio 1.

No harm at all - he badly needs someone to direct the flow of the 2FM programme, and reel in his self indulgent ramblings.

His BBC show is much more listenable, partially because he doesn't have as much freedom to control the content.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubs-2fm-show-to-get-a-shakeup-in-bid-to-woo-back-110000-listeners-2837368.html
    you see this is my beef with RTE ....
    Instead of getting a new presenter they have been trying to pretend that the jnlrs' are no biggie...and "oh sure we make changes every sept"...let's hire a new producer and that will fix it...

In the end they will keep tubs and his salary and just cut his airtime...have more music etc and the say "told you so" when the reviews get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

RTE head of radio Clare Duignan defended the figures, saying the show had found its "rhythm".
    He insisted the change is "by no means unusual".

You know I'd have a lot more respect for them if they would just admit "it's not working, we're gonna try to change things to improve the show"... instead of the usual RTE waffle, spin and denial..

You know I'd have a lot more respect for them if they would just admit "it's not working, we're gonna try to change things to improve the show"... instead of the usual RTE waffle, spin and denial..
    i reckon the "found it's rhythm" line is referring to the recent obsession with kids shows and cartoons and silly kids songs....

that would mean they are now waiting for the next jnlrs to see how that gets on. Thus rendering the august ratings as insignificant.....

As we all know, the problem is the golden child, how can they bring in a new producer, who is paid a fraction of Tub's wage and have that producer tell RTE's highest paid "star" how to present a radio show?
    Tubs is far too arrogant/delusional to even consider that he is the problem.

Here's a tip Tubs, tune into Moncrieff to hear a how a well researched,produced and presented radio show should sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The last few times I heard the show, it was as if he had got feedback that Mothers listening at home didn't like his material.

So now he goes overboard on nursery rhymes and Parent friendly features.

Last week, he was drooling over a song some listener sent in about having the parents at home during the Summer Holidays. He was raving about like it was the greatest song every heard on the airwaves, played it about 5 times.

It's desperation, trying to recover Gerry Ryans old listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

Skid wrote: »
    It's desperation, trying to recover Gerry Ryans old listeners.

And in a sign of further desperation, they had an ad for Tubridy's 2FM show, just before John Murray's slot on Radio 1 today :eek: Wonder how Mr. Murray feels about that?
    Poly wrote: »
    Here's a tip Tubs, tune into Moncrieff to hear a how a well researched,produced and presented radio show should sound.

QFT. My only gripe with Moncrief is that the research is obviously done via Google - "let's find quirky items on the internet", with the result that, apart from the specific slots (1.30->2, McKean, David Coleman, Movies & Booze), the majority of his guests tend to be Yanks or Brits. But, Moncrief is a talented, quick-witted, broadcaster.

And in fairness, Tubridy did display some of that on his "Tubridy Tonight" show, which I think was the best thing he did. IMO, he should have been left doing it. I'll agree with people here that RTE persist in trying to make a star out of him.

Here's a contrasting scenario. Fergus Sweeney used to be a (not bad) sports reporter on BBC (I think 'twas Radio 5). He came back home to the oul' sod and did the 9AM slot on Radio 1. He was woeful on it. So bad, that someone texted in "get that FAS trainee off the radio" and he even read that out!

So he was pulled. He now does various fill-in slots in RTE. But you don't see them foisting him on us, desperately trying to convince us to listen to him, like they do with Tubridy. Tubridy's JNLR figures show that we ain't buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

serfboard wrote: »

So bad, that someone texted in "get that FAS trainee off the radio" and he

hilarious!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

When will RTE realise that Tubridy is anathema to the vast majority under 50?

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

When will RTE realise that Tubridy is anathema to the vast majority under 50?

When?

In a word - never. They have long since lost touch with the audience and only care about advertisers most of whom are sheep themselves who will never ditch RTE.

Liam Fay had an excelent article in the Sunday Times a while ago in relation to RTE staffers who used to make pocket money as extras in Nighthawks where they would be seen in the background drinking in the supposedly "real" bar which was actually just a tv set. To keep it real the show's producers got in real alcohol, although there was supposed to be some rule limiting the intake of each extra to say 2 pints per show. Gradually, over time, the staff started to arrange their real world social functions around their gigs as "extras", lashing into the gargle - they reached the point where the show became reality to them.

Tubridy's handlers are equally out of touch. Its the culture of the whole organisation.

caught a few mins this morning...straight into JFK like a bullet (although he made a point of not mentioning his name) Does he do this on purpose? The fact that he actually made a point vocally about not mentioning his name would suggest he's playing up to his caricature...

Incidently wasn't there a rather sinister relationship between Monroe and the kennedys involving sexual,physical and mental abuse, conflicting somewhat with DLB's sunshine and lollipops "happy burfday mr president" image of the relationship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did he mention the Irish Times article about 2FMs plunging revenue?

mike65 wrote: »
    Did he mention the Irish Times article about 2FMs plunging revenue?
    I didn't get that far! For fear of road rage i had to change over to news talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

He is getting too familiar with the new newsreader to the extent that he mocked her on national radio for her short stature. When she said her friends were quite small too he was going on about them going out on a night out would be akin to a munchkin convention, which one listener took offence too on the texts.

Also listeners weren't too happy with his reference to women with size 8 feet being freakishly large. Is this insulting people thing a new tact? Not working if it is...

telekon wrote: »
    He is getting too familiar with the new newsreader to the extent that he mocked her on national radio for her short stature. When she said her friends were quite small too he was going on about them going out on a night out would be akin to a munchkin convention, which one listener took offence too on the texts.

Also listeners weren't too happy with his reference to women with size 8 feet being freakishly large. Is this insulting people thing a new tact? Not working if it is...
    ha ha i did hear that actually. That was his early comedy routine.

• Advertisement

I heard some of that and wondered if he were getting tired of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

i kinda thought he was insulting people today with the shoe size and height thing?? it started out as a laugh but by the end it was like "shut up tubs, joke over!". hes full of nervous energy. he just needs to chill the freak out!! if he's not into something admit it, but still talk about it/get involved etc., but dont just dismiss it!! he's being ganged up on from all angles- jaysus i nearly feel sorry for the chap at this stage!

nearly, i said nearly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Ryan is being added to the wax museum

1224301863888_1.jpg?ts=1312546637

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0805/1224301863888.html
    A MAN IS poking at Ryan Tubridy’s head in a building at the back of an unassuming home in a sprawling housing estate in Co Kildare. He brushes back his hair, scrapes at his ear, rotates the television and radio presenter’s neck around to face the light. Next to him, a Viking is staring solemnly outwards, looking pretty unimpressed with the celebrity to his left. Welcome to the process of turning Tubridy into a waxwork.

PJ Heraty has been making waxworks for the National Wax Museum for nearly 30 years in the most unlikely of settings – a small workshop in his back garden in Leixlip. In the next month or so, the presenter of the Late Late Show*will become the latest addition to the wax museum, taking his place among the collection of celebrities and icons represented in the building at Foster Place in Dublin city centre. “He called into the museum and we did a mask of him and photographs. That was interesting. He was very patient and helpful, I could only say good things about him,” says Heraty.

Tubridy, who sat for a couple of hours, says it was no trouble. “They made it very painless and said, ‘Will you come in? We need to put this gunk on your head’,” says Tubridy. “I became very self-conscious because they have to pin down your hair and put straws up your nose [so you can] breathe through the plaster. It’s all very undignified. They wanted to take photos of the process, but I said no because I’m bad enough without having something becoming another caption competition.”

So with a closed room, they got to work on Tubridy’s head, and here it now lies in Leixlip.

Behind the head are six photographs taken from different angles. A publicity shot from the Late Late Show*lies on the floor under the table. Heraty says Tubridy emitted a lot of energy while he was there, rarely not moving. The shape of his head is very unusual, Heraty remarks, talking about squares and rectangles.

On the back wall, there are photographs of previously completed models: Samuel Beckett, Gollum from Lord of the Rings*, a leprechaun, Phil Lynott and Pope John Paul II.

Boxes of tools, moulds of faces, silicone spray, jars, bottles, stones, carving materials, and models of everyone from Buzz Lightyear to Jesus fill the small workshop. There are two rooms, one for storage and a smaller work space with a desk, chair and lamp where Heraty sits working. His primary company is an 18-year-old ginger cat.

Heraty goes through the history of mask-taking from Egyptian times to the Italian sculptor Bernini. Bernini used to put rosewater in plaster and apply it directly to the model’s face. Nowadays a material called alginate is used. It is hypoallergenic and sets very quickly, Herarty explains. “You pull it off the face, and use rubber and plaster bandages to hold it together. You pour plaster in it and then you have a plaster replica. It’s a good reference, but it distorts because of gravity, because the face is quite fleshy . . . everything moves generally downwards with the weight of material on it. You lose expression and stuff like that, so that’s where the photographer comes in.”

After the head has been modelled from clay, a rubber mould is taken of it. The mould is then held together by plaster or fibreglass, and the wax poured in. “You have to leave a space for the eyes,” explains Heraty. The glass eyes he uses are made in England. There are very few glass-eye makers around, he says. Madame Tussauds makes its own.

“So you put the eyes in from the inside and adjust them so they’re facing in the proper direction,” he says. After that the hair is implanted using a special needle. Finally it’s colouring, clothes and positioning.

Illustrating the process, he pulls out a heavy mould of Samuel Beckett’s head from a box, moving Fred Flintstone’s arm out of the way to get it free. The waxwork of Beckett is one of Heraty’s favourites.

Lisa Jameson, the marketing and operations manager at the National Wax Museum Plus, explains how they decide whose image will next be created in wax.

“Choosing the next waxwork to be made [involves taking] a number of factors into consideration, usually what the visitors want,” she says. “We survey our visitors on a regular basis and have a suggestion box in the museum hence Jedward will be one of our next waxworks.”

They recently approached rugby player Brian O’Driscoll, but he declined.

In contrast, Tubridy seems bowled over by the whole thing. “I just thought it was a bit of a fun thing,” he says. “So utterly different and borderline ridiculous. If Michael Jackson’s in [the museum], I might as well be there as one of the freaks of my time.”

He has not seen the work in progress. “I think the surreal part of it will come when I see it. Until I see it, it’s just a notion really,” Tubridy says. “It hasn’t become a physical reality . . . I’m laughing my way through it, not disrespectfully or anything like that, but I just think it’s so odd.”

Tubridy visited Madame Tussauds in London when he was 14 and he liberated “a chunk of Pablo Picasso’s head” from the museum. He also visited the Wax Museum in Dublin in its former location. “Now as an adult, I’m quite freaked out by it,” he says. “It’s all a bit trippy, but I see the value of it as an entertaining diversion for children.”

Heraty is a former art teacher, who got the job with the museum after he had made a model of Eamon de Valera’s head.

Along with the sculpture of Beckett’s head, he is fond of a bronze sculpture he made of Jack Charlton.

You get the impression he prefers bronze to wax. “Wax,” he says, “like celebrities, can be easily melted down.”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Colmo52 wrote: »

Looks more like Bing Crosby......

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Ryan is being added to the wax museum

1224301863888_1.jpg?ts=1312546637

The body is quite life like though

Looks more like Bing Crosby......

It's a pity Tubridy wouldnt disappear in a cloud of fog..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 character

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    In a word - never. They have long since lost touch with the audience and only care about advertisers most of whom are sheep themselves who will never ditch RTE.

If the advertisers are such sheep, how come a collapse in advertising revenue is the reason RTE have lost so much money? If they're such sheep why can't RTE find a sponsor?

And if he's so terrible, how come Tubridy's doing OK in the BBC show?
    Is it not just a case of right guy, wrong slot?

If that's true maybe the problem is RTE and its fawning management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 character

mike65 wrote: »
    If that's true maybe the problem is RTE and its fawning management.
    No, I'm sure that's not true....

• Advertisement

character wrote: »
    And if he's so terrible, how come Tubridy's doing OK in the BBC show?

He did well the first week, but he's got comfortable now, and is back to "himself".. talking about russiters (red headed couples) to which Tubridy predictably labelled one callers as being russitist for not liking red headed couples.. Replacing words in Bond movie titles with the word "Trevor" :confused: .. And he started one film director interview today with "it's the best movie I've seen all year, I think it should win an oscar".. So he's carried his traditional boot licking with him across the Irish Sea as well..

Again, he is saved from himself by the music a lot of the time.. I share a liking for the Beatles as well, but I wish he would stfu "oh this amazing album, that amazing album".. we know they are good ffs..

Advertisement