Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yes Tubs needs to get a sense of humour and stop been so serious.You have to take the rough with the smooth.Even though Joseph Duffy sounds a bit paranoid if there is even a hint of a risk of been sued on his show too.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

It was fairly obvious that Tubridy had very little time for Nob Nation. Gerry Ryan always played it straight after the 10 o'clock news - Tubridy seemed to play it only when he felt like it.

Your comment, at least, shows that you are a loyal listener to Tubridy's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is he on the Radio as well Yee Gods:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

easychair wrote: »
    Your comment, at least, shows that you are a loyal listener to Tubridy's show.

I used to be, but now I can't be bothered anymore. I only used to tune into Gerry Ryan's show after the 10 o'clock news to listen to the Nobs. Then I'd switch it off again. I did the same thing with Tubbs's show but it used to annoy me that he didn't play the Nobs at the scheduled time. I even went so far as to contact the Nob Nation Facebook page (I know, I'm sad), and ask them what was going on. They/he (Oliver Callan, I presume) said that they weren't happy about it either so it doesn't surprise me to see that the Nobs are gone for good from the Tubridy Show. I could swear that Tubridy would deliberately delay playing Nob Nation just to piss everyone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

I used to be, but now I can't be bothered anymore. I only used to tune into Gerry Ryan's show after the 10 o'clock news to listen to the Nobs. Then I'd switch it off again. I did the same thing with Tubbs's show but it used to annoy me that he didn't play the Nobs at the scheduled time. I even went so far as to contact the Nob Nation Facebook page (I know, I'm sad), and ask them what was going on. They/he (Oliver Callan, I presume) said that they weren't happy about it either so it doesn't surprise me to see that the Nobs are gone for good from the Tubridy Show. I could swear that Tubridy would deliberately delay playing Nob Nation just to piss everyone off.

I wouldn't think so. It is part of a sophisticated sequencing of material to keep the listeners hooked, so that they stay with Ryan's programme, and hand over to the succeeding one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wouldn't think so. It is part of a sophisticated sequencing of material to keep the listeners hooked, so that they stay with Ryan's programme, and hand over to the succeeding one.

I humbly beg to differ Hugo. Granted, I wouldn't expect Tubridy to play Nob Nation immediately after the 10 o'clock news if he had been in the middle of a conversation with a caller prior to the news itself, but so often he's just faffing about, and he could easily play the Nobs at the scheduled time. I was no fan of Gerry Ryan's but at least he played it at the same time every day and he would invariably comment on the sketch, both before and after. Tubridy seemed to treat the Nobs with contempt and would rarely, if ever, make a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Tubridy just cant handle the abuse,thats why he quit twitter.

jimmynokia wrote: »

Should we blame him? Why should anyone endure abuse? Signed, reasoned argument, yes, but not anonymous, irrational abuse.

jimmynokia wrote: »

Should we blame him? Why should anyone endure abuse? Signed, reasoned argument, yes, but not anonymous, irrational abuse.
    if your in the spotlight its expected but he ran and hid.he could not take it yet on occasion he gives it.

Now hugo you owe me a cut here i will accept a cheque from you or your group lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

This is how Joe Duffy described Gerry after his death "He was the bold schoolboy in your class. He was bold in every sense of the meaning of that word. He was the best company you could ever have and was bold in the sense of being cheeky."

Tubridy is the good swot in the class. How in the name of cripes could anyone think Nob Nation is controversial. It is more of a josh than satire. Tubridy is so far up the asses of many b-list celebs and in the iron grip of fianna fail that he is so afraid being associated with any criqitue that he feels it necessitates a disassociation from the nebula.

He likes to present an image of himself as a nice, happy go-lucky chap but it seems as if he was quite nasty to Oliver Callan. Given that he was accused of homophobia when hosting his old Radio 1 programme it would be fascinating to hear Callan's version of events.
    http://mamanpoulet.blogspot.com/2006/02/ryan-tubridy-is-heterosexual.html

He was just so arrogant when he took over Gerry's slot that he felt he didn't need Nob Nation. He is a fake, plastic shell of a man. A facsimile of old talk show hosts. He loves to talk about American politics, democracy and freedom of expression but typically he stifles criticism of the elite.

Eamon Dunphy was correct about the Andrews-Tubridy cabal. This is what he said a few years ago, "Andrews is a creep, he's just a creepy guy,".
    "He's one of the political dynasty merchants, his father and his grandfather. He's from the Fianna Fail-Ryan Tubridy gene pool -- another chinless wonder. The problem is that they own the ball and the rest of us can't get in the game."

• Advertisement

For posters like the one who sad "he just can't handle the abuse" , they will use any stick they can find with which to beat Tubridy, and any good news they will ignore and shun.

In Ireland there is an expression for this , which refers to someone being "bad minded", and that someone like that thinks someone else should continually handle abuse says more than they probably meant to say about their own view of life, than anyone elses's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

For posters like the one who sad "he just can't handle the abuse" , they will use any stick they can find with which to beat Tubridy, and any good news they will ignore and shun.

In Ireland there is an expression for this , which refers to someone being "bad minded", and that someone like that thinks someone else should continually handle abuse says more than they probably meant to say about their own view of life, than anyone elses's.
    Thats a very negative view of this. Plenty of people in Ireland will call a spade a spade would be more representative of what you are saying.

Thats a very negative view of this. Plenty of people in Ireland will call a spade a spade would be more representative of what you are saying.

I don't claim to represent anyone other than myself.

It may well be that you, also, think Turbidy should be criticised for not wanting to handel abuse and be abused. Although why you should think someone is negative, who takes the view that Tubridy should not handle abuse and refuse to volunteer to be abused, seems unclear.

I don't claim to represent anyone other than myself.

It may well be that you, also, think Turbidy should be criticised for not wanting to handel abuse and be abused. Although why you should think someone is negative, who takes the view that Tubridy should not handle abuse and refuse to volunteer to be abused, seems unclear.

You represent yourself quite well your like a parrot continuously posting the same thing with no structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Does Tubs honestly think people will always be tapping him on the back all the time? You cant expect it.Granted, nobody want/likes criticism but you have to expect it.Now if folks are getting too personal, then thats not on, but I think its reasonable to do so on his show, just like on this forum:p.(criticize the post, not the poster::P).If your in the public eye, then is par for the course.Take G Hook for instance who is about twice his age, and gets dogs abuse sometimes, but just stays reasonably calm and just reply s calmly (although does get animated sometimes too which is fair enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

In his defence Tubs can spell and use you're and your correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Yahew wrote: »

How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Give him a raise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He could be hearing "Tubridy... you're fired, we're giving your job to someone else" pretty soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

telekon wrote: »
    How do you know?
    mikom wrote: »
    Give him a raise.
    He could be hearing "Tubridy... you're fired, we're giving your job to someone else" pretty soon..

I'd say he might leave for greener pastures himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'd say he might leave for greener pastures himself.

Yeah looking at it objectively, he must be sick of the papers and gossip columnist being on his back consistently... unless he's prepared to change, he wont make the show work.. and it doesnt appear that he is prepared to change.. He would be more suited to the middle England... painfully inoffensive, inane, pretentious.. should be right up their street..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

Yeah looking at it objectively, he must be sick of the papers and gossip columnist being on his back consistently... unless he's prepared to change, he wont make the show work.. and it doesnt appear that he is prepared to change.. He would be more suited to the middle England... painfully inoffensive, inane, pretentious.. should be right up their street..

Do you really think Tubridy is going anywhere outside Dublin 4? He's from the area, went to UCD and got a job in RTE. That's his frame of reference for his life right there. He will be found out in England whereas here he'll always get the Fianna Fail support within RTE even if he's down to 10 listeners. Plus here he's a big fish, in the UK he'll be nothing and have to start from the bottom up and get by on merit. For a man who's entire career has been a result of favouritism through familial/political connections, that's not going to be too enticing. Plus the Beeb will not pay him anywhere near the money he gets paid over here. I am so glad that I don't pay a licence fee and I never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

He would be more suited to the middle England... painfully inoffensive, inane, pretentious.. should be right up their street..

Or middle Ireland...painfully inoffensive, inane, pretentious yet anti-intellectual, smug yet bitter. Yes a move to Radio One would be just the job I reckon. Maybe instead of that Murray guy.

He would be more suited to the middle England... painfully inoffensive, inane, pretentious.. should be right up their street..

I wasn't aware of that. Is that how Terry Wogan did it?

Your crass generalisation about "middle england" appears to say more about your mindset than about the millions of people who make up middle england. If an english person made a similar crass generalisation about "middle ireland" I suspect you'd be the first person jumping up and down crying foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

He's asking a grown woman which her favourite sweet is. She likes Jaffa cakes.

Nuke us from space.

withless wrote: »
    He's asking a grown woman which her favourite sweet is. She likes Jaffa cakes.

Nuke us from space.

Is he putting her at her ease, before moving into the substance of his examination-in-chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

She sounds slightly derranged. She waffles on.

The Irish people think she sounds 'lovely'.

Ryan is stuck for words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Tuned in again today to see what exactly is the problem with his broadcasting style.

1. He is like an hack observational comedian but without the laughs. "Remember spangles"? "Remember the 80s"? It's so surface level.

2. He has a habit of asking questions when it is fairly obvious that he knows what the answer is which means he comes across as fake.

3. He labours the point. PAN PIPES, PAN PIPES, PAN PIPES... we get it. They're annoying. But not very interesting. Or, Ryan does it to death without making it in any way amusing. Pushing people to agree with his ridiculous premise.

4. He gives nothing about himself away so one can't connect with him. I don't know anything about the guy really.

5. He doesn't come across as a particularly interesting guy. No offence to the man but he's just not interesting and therefore cannot make the show interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I wasn't aware of that. Is that how Terry Wogan did it?

Your crass generalisation about "middle england" appears to say more about your mindset than about the millions of people who make up middle england. If an english person made a similar crass generalisation about "middle ireland" I suspect you'd be the first person jumping up and down crying foul.

A common enough term - have you never heard it before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

withless wrote: »
    She sounds slightly derranged. She waffles on.

The Irish people think she sounds 'lovely'.

Ryan is stuck for words.

I caught the end of that -he said she was the personification of "abject goodness" :confused:

Advertisement