Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I think who takes over is a side issue.. I think the main issue is that Tubridy is awful at the job and has to go

But he is not going to go, is he? If losing over 40% of his listeners wasn't enough to get shot of him, then nothing will. I suspect this thread will be going for a good while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Straight in this morning oh I live by the sea my car and lovely house was covered in sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I never so much about a hangover in my life. He dragged it out for a good 20minutes. Get on with, its only a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

tubwax_1047561t.jpg

Can't believe that he is trying to reposition himself as a sex symbol with the way he is moderating comments on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ghiertal wrote: »
    tubwax_1047561t.jpg

Can't believe that he is trying to reposition himself as a sex symbol with the way he is moderating comments on facebook.

Dear God, he's morphing into Henry Kelly! :eek:

_45070901_8fd4c88e-5a59-4ef5-bf5d-ccaf0ba9aeaf.jpg

No wonder Tubridy took the gig at the BBC...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ok, I've just seen a thread on the waxwork in After Hours and the OP made the same Henry Kelly comment. Obviously I wasn't alone.

P.S The waxwork is hilariously bad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

telekon wrote: »
    Ok, I've just seen a thread on the waxwork in After Hours and the OP made the same Henry Kelly comment. Obviously I wasn't alone.

P.S The waxwork is hilariously bad. :D

Well, John Bishop came out with the same Henry Kelly line on the Late Late on Friday so no, you werent alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Those figures are a bit strange to be honest, george Lee, John Murray:eek:, Marian Richardson,all up and Pat Kenny taken the 4000 listeners from poor Tubbers:p.

I thought Pk would be a lot higher TBH.

jimmynokia wrote: »

4000 straight men got sick of listening to tubridy's false empathy and endless nonsense on nappies, breastfeeding, babies, weddings, jedward and whatever other pink topics you can think of. Personally i am getting sick of listening to his show. Ryan it really is time to do the decent thing and just go. Is there any accountability in RTE? Two years on from Gerry's passing and everyone in RTE is still praying to him asking for guidance and protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

These jnlr's are the most telling of tubs career....the slump since Gerry died was understandable, however these are the second figures of tubs 'new show' in which they've hired people to script his every move....throw in the cynical face book page and the bizarre requests to contact the show to tell the nation about your boo hoo 'ratings' winning stories!.....fail...

These jnlr's are the most telling of tubs career....the slump since Gerry died was understandable, however these are the second figures of tubs 'new show' in which they've hired people to script his every move....throw in the cynical face book page and the bizarre requests to contact the show to tell the nation about your boo hoo 'ratings' winning stories!.....fail...

The incredible thing is that he is going to take extra leave from his radio programme during the summer so that he can work in Britain. What does that say about 1.His commitment to RTE and the Irish public with respect to his exorbitant salary and 2.His commitment and determination to actually make his radio show work. Not a whole lot i would think. The funny thing about these guys is that they actually think they deserve their wages and their egos would simply not countenance any introspective analysis to their own relative real world self-worth. Why is this news about another stint in the BBC arising today? Ash, you are spot on it is really cynical and explotative stuff but if the public is well able to see through tubridy's "caring persona".

Straight in this morning oh I live by the sea my car and lovely house was covered in sand.
    tell me he said that to listener who just had their house repossessed!!

"oh that must be awful......life is so hard ....i had to clean sand off the roof of the jag this morning...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

4000 straight men got sick of listening to tubridy's false empathy and endless nonsense on nappies, breastfeeding, babies, weddings, jedward and whatever other pink topics you can think of. Personally i am getting sick of listening to his show. Ryan it really is time to do the decent thing and just go. Is there any accountability in RTE? Two years on from Gerry's passing and everyone in RTE is still praying to him asking for guidance and protection.

Weren't you accusing him of using homophobic slang a few months ago? Now he's gone completely the other direction to the point of alienating straight males? Your hatred of Tubridy has blinded you to your own inconsistencies.

Weren't you accusing him of using homophobic slang a few months ago? Now he's gone completely the other direction to the point of alienating straight males? Your hatred of Tubridy has blinded you to your own inconsistencies.

I still believe that he is homophobic but it is the show that is alienating straight males(like me). Tubridy had editorial control of the show for the first year and it proved to be a disaster. I don't believe that he has much say in the direction it has taken over the past 3 or 4 months. There is no doubt that they have targeted a female audience, if you look at the topics on his facebook page you might be in agreement. I am starting to get sick of listening to him tbh(and i am saying that as a male, who just happens to be into women). As Ash said they have "hired people to script his every move".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I am starting to get sick of listening to him .
    :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Why are you complaining about Tubridy's slot being aimed at women?

FFS, this is the housewifes slot...of course it's aimed at women.

It's the time between when mothers leave the kids to school and then go out for lunch or something.

Clearly the people producing the show did their research, discovered they were losing housewives and are trying to win them back by turning it into Woman's hour or something.

It's not that simple though, you actually need a good presenter to make this work, someone spontaneous, and so on, like Gerry Ryan was.

Maybe if the producers do enough research about their target audience, they might finally make Tubridy sound appealing.

The fact they stick Tubridy into every primetime slot in RTE just demonstrates once more the lack of originality at the station. He was never going to work in this slot and never will.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Why are you complaining about Tubridy's slot being aimed at women?

FFS, this is the housewifes slot...of course it's aimed at women.

It's the time between when mothers leave the kids to school and then go out for lunch or something.

Clearly the people producing the show did their research, discovered they were losing housewives and are trying to win them back by turning it into Woman's hour or something.

It's not that simple though, you actually need a good presenter to make this work, someone spontaneous, and so on, like Gerry Ryan was.

Maybe if the producers do enough research about their target audience, they might finally make Tubridy sound appealing.

The fact they stick Tubridy into every primetime slot in RTE just demonstrates once more the lack of originality at the station. He was never going to work in this slot and never will.

Not only housewives listen to the radio..

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

A nice little aside on the John Murray show today.

Three teams were sent to different corners of Montrose to test their OB skills. The report from one team included a remark attributed to mr Tubbs that he would be anywhere they (The RTE1 soccer fan types) would not be.

A catty little dig at his early morning competitor or a statement of general intent I wonder.

Off to the BBC again.
    Ryan Tubridy is heading back to @BBCRadio2 as a stand-in for @achrisevans: jrnl.to/Jmb3tm

• Advertisement

Off to the BBC again.
    Ryan Tubridy is heading back to @BBCRadio2 as a stand-in for @achrisevans: jrnl.to/Jmb3tm

Will RTE answer whether tubridy is taking a pay-cut for his ten week stint on the BBC this summer? It cant all be holidays therefore that would mean that he is working less days than contracted + how many weeks will his 2FM show be on-air this year. At the moment 38 is the maximum, as he has already taken 4 weeks holidays since Christmas.

I find it bizarre that someone who is performing so poorly in such a prestigious post would jeopardise his position by working for a competitor. Surely he should be trying to build a relationship with his audience. I think that it indicates a lack of respect for the licence payer. He is more concerned with making RTE believe that he doesnt need them so that he has a greater bargaining tool when his contract is up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I see Tubs is filling in for Chris Evans even for this bank holiday:eek:.Now theres dedication for ya:p and then throughout the summer. If he dont watch himself, the poor beanpole lad will burn himself out.

What I find puzzling though is that the head over the BBC 2 or whatever is mad for him and well impressed with him.

But then again, the chap is appreciated over there, not like d'woul begrudgers over here...........................................................................................
    .........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Bloody hell, I thought he was just filling in for Graham Norton again. But no - he's taking over probably the biggest job in British radio for 8 weeks. WTF is going on?
    Lewis Carnie, head of programmes at BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music said: “I’m delighted that we’ve managed to persuade another of Ireland’s biggest stars to work his magic on Radio 2.”

"Work his magic".:confused: Would that be his world-renowned audience disappearing trick?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0505/1224315652681.html

If an "RTE insider" is to believed, a return to RTE Radio 1 looks likely to happen in the not to distant future.
    "Is 2fm the right station for Ryan Tubridy? If the public didn't like Ryan why would 'The Late, Late Show' have a 48pc (audience) share on a Friday night?" a well-placed source put it to the Irish Independent.
    "He has a great producer and a great team but 2fm is the wrong station for him. He is definitely more suited to RTE Radio 1.
    "The whole station (2fm) needs to be rebuilt. If you tune into Lyric FM, Spin or Newstalk you know what you're going to get.
    "That's not the case with 2fm which is suffering an identity crisis. There has been all sorts of chops and changes but none of it's strategic. It's a rudderless ship and they have never got back the listeners they lost after Gerry Ryan died."

So it's got nothing to do with Tubridy or his producer - it's the stations fault.:rolleyes:

EchoO wrote: »
    Bloody hell, I thought he was just filling in for Graham Norton again. But no - he's taking over probably the biggest job in British radio for 8 weeks. WTF is going on?

So it's got nothing to do with Tubridy or his producer - it's the stations fault.:rolleyes:

That's the point i was trying to make. He seems to be going over for the whole summer. He couldn't have that amount of holidays therefore will he see a proportionate pay-cut? As for the respect that he is paying to his audience and licence-payer, well it's non-existent.

The second point you refer to seems more like a quote from tubridy's agent. Why should RTE bend over backwards to accomodate him now? I think you are spot on to say that it is just an excuse, he was previously on 2FM for a number of years so it's nothing new for him.The real problem tubridy has is that people simply don't like him. The number of times i've been in the company of other people only to hear them say "I can't stand him" is quite incredible and neither Pat Kenny or Gay Byrne seem to elicit the same response. Alot of the public think he is shocking on the LLS and another part only see the hated political connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The BBC show is a different type of show though, he justs plays music and does some waffle in between.

If he tried to do his irish show there he'd be found out very quickly.

ok so that 12 weeks(including bbc stint) so far this year(SO FAR) and moonlighting at the BBC.
    this is so wrong,tubbers commanding the wage he is getting from RTE,our licence fee,and probably getting a six figure sum from the BBC.

And RTE moan they are broke,wake the hell up:mad:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/big-bbc-break-for-tubridy-as-he-struggles-with-home-crowd-3098249.html

ok so that 12 weeks(including bbc stint) so far this year(SO FAR) and moonlighting at the BBC.
    this is so wrong,tubbers commanding the wage he is getting from RTE,our licence fee,and probably getting a six figure sum from the BBC.

And RTE moan they are broke,wake the hell up:mad:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/big-bbc-break-for-tubridy-as-he-struggles-with-home-crowd-3098249.html
    I doubt he gets holiday pay, as he's not an rte employee.

I doubt he gets holiday pay, as he's not an rte employee.

What he gets paid is OTT he is off just as much as he is on.

Well he is on bbc radio now
    nk management ‏ @nkmanagement
    RYAN TUBRIDY...Is now on BBC Radio 2, check it out http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I'd say RTE are encouraging him to work for the bbc as it solves a big problem for them if they offer him job, an easy way to get rid of him without losing face.

He can walk away from his 2fm show saying 'massive opportunity' blah blah blah......'great time working in 2fm' blah blah blah

Advertisement