Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Or just leave him off

Well his two hour gig ain't lighting up the world now is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well his two hour gig ain't lighting up the world now is it ?
    that's what i mean....just drop him. There is no requirement for tubs on rte at the minute.

I cannot believe there are people actually suggesting Gerry Ryan's daughter as someone to present this show!! I'm shocked at this peasant mentality. No wonder RTE don't give a bollix, if the public are so deferential.
    Tubridy is unlikeable and this has become more noticeable since the demise of the Celtic bubble. During the bubble people didn't seem to mind that the likes of Tubridy gets paid €800k a year or whatever he's getting.
    He is utterly charmless and the beneficiary of nepotism and all that is wrong, and what people hate about RTE, but why would he leave? Would you? He won't go until he's told to go.
    No point in blaming Tubridy for being what he is and accepting a huge salary. Who wouldn't? Blame the decision makers. The people who sign the cheques,those who decide what rates of pay these people get. I don't think salary negotiations in RTE are too tough when everyone in the room are friends anyway.
    Moncrief is the obvious choice but Radio 2 is irrelevant and should be scrapped anyway as a way of cutting in to the 20 million deficit RTE is currently operating.The taxpayer should not be subsidising the likes of 2FM when the demographic is more than catered for in the private sector.It's not public service broadcasting. There is simply no justification for 2FM. Or Tubridy for that matter.
    Yeah it would send the wrong message if she got a presenters job. I would have no issue if she worked her way up. Even at that it's still nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Tubridy, will u ever shut the hell up about Jedward. I have no interest in Eurovision, green capes or whatever other pink nonsense you are promoting. The majority of people are sick of their antics so just cop on. Their act has less substance than your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

It takes years and even decades to work your way up in RTE unless you are an insider or related to an insider or friends with people who have influence in RTE.

I think they should just give it to a young person to be honest, someone under 30. Not many that young with experience.

But not sure giving it to a middle aged person or a person who acts middle aged is the right idea.

Its 2012...very few people want to hear about the Kennedys....as for Eurovision, again little appeal to anyone.

As for someone on 500k a year trying to empathise with someone who is out of work or lost their job, it rings hollow after a while.

Give the job to someone young and force them to prove themselves.

Anyways there needs to be a shake up at 2fm..its gone very conservative in recent years....

I hope Rabitte replaces the board of management and brings in fresh ideas and most of all young people, instead of political hacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The issue with his Jedward obsession is representative of his style of broadcasting.

He hears that something is popular / and then does it to death. Then he'll call it a guilty pleasure even though he probably has no interest in it at all.

I have heard that he's not a particularly intelligent person and this comes across more and more when watching him on tv - he can't interact well with his guests and his set agenda of questions / lack of interest in people prevents him from creating engaging interviews.

I can't listen to him on the radio as I find that he treats listeners like idiots. There is no sincerity there - very little substance and you can't tell what his opinions are as he never seems to give strong opinions on matters. I know nothing about the man other than the fact that he's related to the Andrews and has worked his way up through RTE.

Unlike D'Arcy who comes across as a person who has beliefs and opinions whether you agree with them or not.

Tubbs was good in the John Murray slot because it was light, fluff and throwaway and didn't need substance. He was terrible on the Full Irish because he did nothing other than yabber on about nothing and thought it was a selling point that he is a "nerd" and thinks that people think that makes him interesting in some way.

He tries to overcome his vacuousness by pushing the things he is interested in (let's say The Kennedy's and American Politics) but he also pushes the lowest common denominator things like retro / do you remember chewits / space hoppers which is like tuning into "I Love 1982" and listening to someone who hadn't been born yet raving about leg warmers.

But fair play to him for being the human embodiment of The Peter Principal - he has risen to his level of inability.

Todays attempt at increasing listeners involves having a girl on ...just like darcy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

The taxpayer should not be subsidising the likes of 2FM when the demographic is more than catered for in the private sector.It's not public service broadcasting. There is simply no justification for 2FM. Or Tubridy for that matter.
    According to RTE, 2FM is not subsidised by the license fee and is run commercially.
    Actually IIRC, 2FM is prevented by legislation from receiveing license fee funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

baalthor wrote: »
    According to RTE, 2FM is not subsidised by the license fee and is run commercially.
    Actually IIRC, 2FM is prevented by legislation from receiveing license fee funds.

2fm has been loss making since 2009. Given what has happened to advertising revenue, Tubridy/Hayes JNLR figures and the the terminal decline of the station's market share - I doubt that is going to change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

baalthor wrote: »

I genuinely didn't know that.Thanks. So how long will they be able to operate at a loss?

• Advertisement

I genuinely didn't know that.Thanks. So how long will they be able to operate at a loss?

And that loss is getting bigger and bigger. A 3.5 million euro profit in 2008 turned into a 1.67 million euro loss in 2009 and a 3.2 million euro loss in 2010. Commerical revenue went from 20 million euro in 2008 to just 11 million in 2010. There are no figures for last year yet, but I can't imagine the trend has changed any.

There is no real public broadcasting element to 2fm's output, so you couldn't justify using the licence fee to shore up the loses. So it is a serious situation and Tubridy hasn't helped any.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The head of 2fm was on the media show on radio one last night and tubbs poor showing was brought and the bbc gig was asked. I cant put a link but search for it in iTunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The 3 J's. Jellybeans, Jedward and JFK. The majority of people have no interest in any of these. Tubs, if you're reading, please take note of this.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The head of 2fm was on the media show on radio one last night and tubbs poor showing was brought and the bbc gig was asked. I cant put a link but search for it in iTunes.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/themediashow/

About 19 minutes in. It's worth listening to just to hear what a completed spoofer the head 2fm is. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

EchoO wrote: »

About 19 minutes in. It's worth listening to just to hear what a completed spoofer the head 2fm is. Wow.

Wow! is right, he is the biggest bulls***** I have heard:mad:.Alot of Listeners tuned out of all radio after Gerry died?.............................................:confused:.

Why does Tubs have such a hold on RTE, and he is an independent broadcaster?. The mind boggles.

Late late show is getting a new director

Gerry Ryan was a legend in fairness, but RTE seem to be blaming his death a little too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Late late show is getting a new director

Gerry Ryan was a legend in fairness, but RTE seem to be blaming his death a little too much

A 'legend'? What qualifies someone to be a legend these days?
    He was a radio presenter,in a small country. Some liked him and some didn't.
    The way you say he was 'a legend in fairness' as if that is just accepted.
    People are far too deferential in this country.

A 'legend'? What qualifies someone to be a legend these days?
    He was a radio presenter,in a small country. Some liked him and some didn't.
    The way you say he was 'a legend in fairness' as if that is just accepted.
    People are far too deferential in this country.
    a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
    b. A body or collection of such stories.
    c. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Listened in to the first caller this morning moaning about her husband's tendency of putting his hands down his pants while watching the telly.

Ryan responds, "what does he watch on the box...sport I suppose?"

Yes Ryan, those nasty, awful people that watch horrid things like 'sport', do unmentionable things with their tackle while sitting on the couch.

Horrible sport watching people!!

:D

I just caught the most bizzarre phone call just after the "Hands down pants" segment.....
    Basically...."annd now a couple lost a child and took photos of the corpse....we go live to the woman who took the photos....Hello caller...that was peculiar thing to be doing wasn't it"

WTF?

• Advertisement

EchoO wrote: »

Gerry Ryan was on the radio for 30 years, but the only clip they can find of him is one where he is interviewing Jedward. It's just ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

Also, the head of RTE 2 FM said that Tubridy is contracted for 250 radio shows a year, which means that he should be getting only 2 weeks holidays a year yet he has aready taken 4 weeks off and is going to spend 10 weeks on the BBC so will he see a pay-cut?

ghiertal wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan was on the radio for 30 years, but the only clip they can find of him is one where he is interviewing Jedward. It's just ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

Also, the head of RTE 2 FM said that Tubridy is contracted for 250 radio shows a year, which means that he should be getting only 2 weeks holidays a year yet he has aready taken 4 weeks off and is going to spend 10 weeks on the BBC so will he see a pay-cut?
    As a contractor he would have to submit time sheets and get paid appropiately?

He obviously got the 250 figure wrong, there's no way Tubridy signed a contract obligating him to work 50 weeks a year. You could poke large holes in nearly everything McMahon said in that, mercifully short, interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

telekon wrote: »
    Listened in to the first caller this morning moaning about her husband's tendency of putting his hands down his pants while watching the telly.

Ryan responds, "what does he watch on the box...sport I suppose?"

Yes Ryan, those nasty, awful people that watch horrid things like 'sport', do unmentionable things with their tackle while sitting on the couch.

Horrible sport watching people!!

:D

Did you hear Ryan reveal a shocking secret? He is not a woman.I'd say the papers will pick up on that:D.
    I thought he was.
    You would never think that with all the females he has on the show:p

Nice way of getting rid of her too, "You're kids need you Emma"

Tubridy is leaving 2FM, going back to Radio 1 in September. That "source" who was interviewed after the last JNLRs proved to be remarkably similar to tubridy. Wonder was it Polly the parrot. This stint at the BBC is nothing but a stunt to help lube his contract negotiations. Yet another article where he says that he is 37. Why does he continue to do this? Jimmynokia was correct when he said that tubs wouldnt work on 2FM.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/future-of-ryan-tubridys-radio-show-in-the-balance-3109977.html

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

He doesn't say he's 37. The persone who wrote the piece said it. He said on the radio yesterday that he is almost 39. If you're going to get fixated about something get the facts straight.

tinyk68 wrote: »
    He doesn't say he's 37. The persone who wrote the piece said it. He said on the radio yesterday that he is almost 39. If you're going to get fixated about something get the facts straight.

Let's keep this serious ok. In every article tubridy either refers to himself as 37 or is referred to as a 37 year old. I'm not in the business of being interviewed by national newspapers but i presume the journalists ask tubridy his age and tubridy blatantly lies about it.

I feel sorry for R1 listeners as tubridy could be back at his old time of 9-10. Does anyone think it possible that he might enter Derek Mooney's slot? This magazine style programme is probably more suited to him + he is obsessed with the same kind of rubbish that Mooney likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,661 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Let's keep this serious ok. In every article tubridy either refers to himself as 37 or is referred to as a 37 year old. I'm not in the business of being interviewed by national newspapers but i presume the journalists ask tubridy his age and tubridy blatantly lies about it.

I feel sorry for R1 listeners as tubridy could be back at his old time of 9-10. Does anyone think it possible that he might enter Derek Mooney's slot? This magazine style programme is probably more suited to him + he is obsessed with the same kind of rubbish that Mooney likes.

If Ryan does move back to Radio 1, what will happen to John Murray?

*prepares conga line*

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bullrush

No great loss. His show is very poor IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I feel sorry for R1 listeners as tubridy could be back at his old time of 9-10. Does anyone think it possible that he might enter Derek Mooney's slot?

They cant really get rid of John Murray 9am-10am on Radio 1.. He's beating Tubridy in the figures, and to do so would be very unfair.. How he is getting the ratings I have no idea.. The shows are on a par for being really awful.. John Murray's comedy bit is probably the worst five minutes of RTE radio every day..

Advertisement