Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The John Murry Show is terrible, even Tubs would be better than Murry in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

John Murray's comedy bit is probably the worst five minutes of RTE radio every day..

I couldn't believe it this morning when he had the gall to make a quip about Barack Obama's lame jokes. Talk about throwing stones in a glasshouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Hopefully he wont be back after the bbc stint..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Apparently RTE will not be dictated to by the bbc as to when Mr Tubs can pop over to cover for Chris Evans when he goes on his holiers or for any other times he is off for the rest of the year.

So not only does Chris have to clear his time off with the BBC, but also RTE aswell, even if tubs is not on his holidays.:rolleyes: Poor lad:p.This is all from today's "Mail on Sunday" .

ryant.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

jimmyw wrote: »
    Apparently RTE will not be dictated to by the bbc as to when Mr Tubs can pop over to cover for Chris Evans when he goes on his holiers or for any other times he is off for the rest of the year.

So not only does Chris have to clear his time off with the BBC, but also RTE aswell, even if tubs is not on his holidays.:rolleyes: Poor lad:p.This is all from today's "Mail on Sunday" .

Sounds like a very choreographed statement to allow him to leave rte so he can presue other ventures. Maybe I'm too cynical though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

jimmyw wrote: »

It is all irrelevant at this stage. Nothing but a charade, smoke and mirrors, the magician and the clown. It has all been decided already that tubridy is leaving 2FM or Radio 1 in the autumn. This is meant to make RTE look autocratic whereas in reality they have bent over backwards to accomodate tubridy and his agent. The only reason tubridy took the BBC job was so that he could use it as a bargaining chip. He saw that his 2FM show was in trouble from an early stage and he knew that it was unlikely that he could succeed in recovering the figures that Gerry Ryan had. Thereore there was no way that he could emerge from it without being damaged in some way. His main worry was with his employer RTE. Basically most presenters in RTE have been paid pro-rata on audience figures to advertising revenues accrued, so in effect tubridy had lost substantial advertising revenue for the company and as his 2FM show as a disaster it could only be a short stint. The BBC came calling again (or tubridy's team approached them because now he was in trouble), they had previously inquired in the summer of 2010 and now tubridy saw an opportunity to push RTE into a corner. Would they really want to lose the host of the LLS? Tubridy never tires of telling us of his 48% market share on the LLS. Nor of his record audiences for the Toy Show. It is all about how much advertising he can bring to RTE, it is never about quality TV or radio. Even this week he admitted that he has to be "very political" about what he can say in relation to his position on 2FM and in RTE in general. That's what this whole thing boils down to.

2FM management will protect themselves by saying that " a lot of Irish people stopped listening to the radio after Gerry Ryan's death" so tubridy and 2FM were in an impossible position. Tubridy will return to his nice, comfy, bullet-proof position in the schedule and his BBC bargaining chip + his 48% will ensure that he holds onto his gargantuan salary. His agent will be happy with his share and will recruit new clients on the basis of having pulled off such a masterstroke. RTE managers will try to convince themselves that they have retained a proven revenue-earner in tubridy.

His abysmal failure will not be mentioned in the future because as one so-called RTE insider put it recently "Is 2FM really suitable for Ryan?". The whole episode is a rotten choreographed stunt meant to suit all the players and interested parties. The reality is that all of this is so predictable but these gombeen men think they still run the country and can pull the wool over the public's eyes so easily. As long as they all retain their own slice of the pie they don't really give a damn but what they don't realise is that tubridy is hugely damaging RTE. His disinterested, faux-sincerity is so nauseating to many of the general public that an increasing number are tuning out of RTE altogether. I don't think he was always this bad but maybe it's a case of losing the edge that someone like Gay Byrne always had. Maybe for tubridy the journey in getting there( The LLS) was all that mattered and when he achieved that he didn't really have the desire to really do something big with the platform. He is happy enough with interviewing celebs and merely putting down time on his radio show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You'd have to laugh all the same.. Tubridy spent the first ten minutes giving out about being on the beach and people gratuitous use of bad language, before then going on to congratulate Brendan O'Carroll for his BAFTA win.. :D

You'd have to laugh all the same.. Tubridy spent the first ten minutes giving out about being on the beach and people gratuitous use of bad language, before then going on to congratulate Brendan O'Carroll for his BAFTA win.. :D

He is just after having him on now. Brendan O'Carroll after winning a Bafta, probably the happiest moment of his life but tubridy makes him cry "You're thinking of your mother aren't you? She would have loved this?"

Was blowing 2fm's trumpet, saying he got a start there. As if tubridy would ever give someone like O'Carroll a chance, he got rid of Oliver Callan, he said Callan was too controversial. It's hard to imagine that tubridy has anything but contempt for O'Carroll, certainly came across as very insincere.

• Advertisement

ghiertal wrote: »
    He is just after having him on now. Brendan O'Carroll after winning a Bafta, probably the happiest moment of his life but tubridy makes him cry "You're thinking of your mother aren't you? She would have loved this?"

Was blowing 2fm's trumpet, saying he got a start there. As if tubridy would ever give someone like O'Carroll a chance, he got rid of Oliver Callan, he said Callan was too controversial. It's hard to imagine that tubridy has anything but contempt for O'Carroll, certainly came across as very insincere.

Good oul tubridy always brings out the worst of a good situation,he should just go to the uk,and never come back

Another few partridge moments there for Tubridy..

Tubs: "I say when you were behind the counter (working in the chipper) there were a lot of men looking for chips".
    Woman: "Well I was only a little girl Ryan" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Tubbs is on Matt Coopers show now

I know he is trying his best, but already chatting to Matt he has mentioned American politics, Harry Potter, books etc,

miketv wrote: »
    Tubbs is on Matt Coopers show now

What is he being asked about Mike?.. Just in the door, so I missed it but I might download it on the player later if it's any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Tubridy was particularly annoying in that segment. Matt Cooper asked about the lack of interactivity between the guests and wondering did Tubridy actually 'enjoy' doing the LLS. He also alluded to the lack of spontaneity for a 'live' show which Tubridy answered quite poorly I thought.

I think Matt must read the LLS thread, some of the angles he was taking were straight out of the bitter mouths of Boards.ie members. :D

He also played the very funny Pat Kenny / Jimmy Carr / Austrian holiday clip. Tubridy still has to have his one funny, spontaneous moment on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

Why would Tubridy go and do an interview on a rival radio station? Doesn't make sense to me? Would RTE have to ok it first? Were the questions only based on The Late Late Show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

He was on promoting the late late 50th anniversary show on Fri. Its the second time Matt has had him on and I have to say he was very condescending, smarmy, pompus little git. He was saying that gay was presenting it for 13 yrs before he got some controversial stand out interviews, eg padraig flynn, Annie Murphy etc, and he is only 3yrs into it. Then said sinead o Connor was coming back for one night only to sing on show, she was on with ray D'Arcy this morning announcing her sabbatical is over!! Although I know its hard to keep up with her!

What is he being asked about Mike?.. Just in the door, so I missed it but I might download it on the player later if it's any good.

Left the office at 6 Jon, I think telekon summed it up perfectly :)

- Everybody thinks that all the shows Gay Byrne did were great, but this is just nostalgia
    - Gay was waiting 25 years before the memorable Padraig Flynn interview. Ryan is only in the job for 3 years.
    - There are far more channels now, so there is much more competition.
    - The Late Late Show is too long.
    - The Late Late Show is one of the few LIVE chat show still on air.
    - It's hard to get the guests.
    - The show is not edited.

So in short, coincidentally similar to his radio show, the reason that the show is not very interesting is NOTHING to do with Tubridy himself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

- Everybody thinks that all the shows Gay Byrne did were great, but this is just nostalgia
    - Gay was waiting 25 years before the memorable Padraig Flynn interview. Ryan is only in the job for 3 years.
    - There are far more channels now, so there is much more competition.
    - The Late Late Show is too long.
    - The Late Late Show is one of the few LIVE chat show still on air.
    - It's hard to get the guests.
    - The show is not edited.

So in short, coincidentally similar to his radio show, the reason that the show is not very interesting is NOTHING to do with Tubridy himself..

There were hundreds of stand out interviews in Gaybo's time going back to the very start, Peter (O')Sellers, Spike Milligan, John Cleese, that drunkan scottish psychiatrist, Oliver Reed, Ted Walsh, Peter Ustinov, Big Jack, Padraig Brogan, Terry Keane, Bishop Casey's mistress, Dermot Morgan, Dylan Moran, Gerry Adams and hundreds if not thousands more.

Tubridy is talking out his ar*e if he says Gaybo didn't get a standout interview for decades, Gaybo had at least one standout interview a week and sometimes two or three per show.

Tubbers was waffling on radio this morning about what an honour it is to present the show,little does he know how bad it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Tubbers was waffling on radio this morning about what an honour it is to present the show,little does he know how bad it is..

Did you not hear him on Matt Cooper? He does know how bad it is....

telekon wrote: »

Did you not hear him on Matt Cooper? He does know how bad it is....
    No I missed that lol. Must see if there is a podcast, did Cooper let him have it?

No I missed that lol. Must see if there is a podcast, did Cooper let him have it?

Hey Jimmy, Tubs says that he turned 39 last week... so that's an end to your conspiracy theory... :D:D

Hey Jimmy, Tubs says that he turned 39 last week... so that's an end to your conspiracy theory... :D:D
    But he was 37?

Tubs is off next week so how much time off is that now?
    way too much..

But he was 37?

Article in yesterday's Herald said that tubridy's girlfriend Aoibhinn is 27 years of age, would have thought she is older, seems to be around a long time. Tubridy is the Peter Pan of Irish tv, he will be forever 37. Don't know what their game is.

This will be his 5th week off from RTE this year. I think that he has a 10 week contract with Auntie + he is going on holiday to the US during the summer, so he probably will have 16 weeks off from RTE in total this year.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tubs-plans-summer-road-trip-to-graceland-3110153.html

Only after hearing the Today FM interview now. The highlight of his three years in charge of the LLS was an interview with a 7 year old freak from Roscommon. Says it all really! As for the rest of it, the thought that he might be sacked from presenting the show doesn't seem to enter his head. He actually believes that he is doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's hilarious the amount of reasons tubs has given for the demise of quality on the late late show and not one of them are the presenter!

• Advertisement

Interesting discussion about the three LLS hosts on Newstalk right now...

Derek Davis says that "Tubridy has the potential to be the best of the three LLS presenters".... I dont see it to be honest..

Advertisement