Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ghiertal wrote: »
    I know, i brought up this matter previously (re:post#2816). Jimmynokia has also been quite vocal on it. To be honest i think he wants the BBC to believe that he is only 36. But if he is doing this now when he is in the public eye and has been saying in the past that he was born in 1973 it makes me wonder what age he really is. He probably knocked a few years off his age when he first entered RTE and has continued to do so over the past fifteen years. I wouldnt be surprised if tubridy is at least 50. He has a very wrinkly face and just about everything else screams old man. He probably was a young boy during the JFK visit hence the enduring fascination.

He needs a bang of a calender tbh..Having said that he lives like a child,goes on like a child along with his on off fellow child aoibhinn .
    He is a child in terry wogans clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I wouldnt be surprised if tubridy is at least 50. He has a very wrinkly face and just about everything else screams old man.

HAHA love it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Tubridy's musings on 2fm.
    But he insists he is committed to signing a new contract with RTÉ – provided they are committed to restructuring 2fm.‘I am in negotiations to sign off on a contract to stay in RTÉ. It’s always been the plan. There is no offer on the table from the Beeb. It’s just this thing of six to 10 weeks a year and that’s all it is going to be. I don’t see that changing over the next few years. I am committed to RTÉ. I never considered leaving RTÉ, hand on heart, I think that would have been reckless.’
    Ryan believes the only way for 2fm to move on is to step out of the shadow of Gerry Ryan.
    ‘I think that is a fair point [to say 2fm needs to be restructured]. These things are always going to be difficult to get right. I think 2fm’s restructuring and realignment is still struggling in a post-Gerry Ryan world. That hasn’t settled yet and the shadow that man cast, with all his brilliance, has been longer than anyone could have imagined.
    ‘I think it will settle and it is a big ship and it is turning around. I never like using nautical analogies considering what happened to the Titanic but I am hoping it can be rescued. I think it is a work in progress and everyone needs to hold their nerve because this is potentially the best station in the country. But it can only be done if the right decisions are made and a couple of gambles are taken. And if that all happens and people are patient to get the shows right we could come back.’
    How would he turn things round?
    ‘If I answered that honestly I would have no friends. That is for the bosses. It’s a theoretical and a good pub conversation but I couldn’t say it in a way that wouldn’t be mean to other people. I can only talk about myself and I think in that sense I would gamble on my show.
    ‘In an ideal world I would do a three-hour show, but I have The Late Late Show, and to add another five hours of live radio on top of my agenda in the week would be detrimental in some ways to my health. On a Friday morning, I am in there at 7.30am doing a show until 11.30am and then I am doing meetings. I only get home for an hour and to have a snooze and then I am back in for rehearsals and then it is all go until midnight. That’s a long day and it is live, and life on live TV and radio is like dog years – it is like five hours to every one.
    ‘I don’t think I am a workaholic but I do worry about burn-out which is why I’m worried about making it a three-hour show. That’s why I always make time for me. When I finish here this week I’m off to the West for the best part of two weeks, where there will be no signal, a turf fire, long walks with my girls and it will be heaven and I will not be happier all year.
    ‘In that sense I look after myself, I don’t stay up all night listening back to Ray D’Arcy’s radio show.’
    But the numbers must surely be a cause for concern – the most recent figures show Tubridy attracts 176,000 listeners. Ray D’Arcy’s Today fm show is 58,000 ahead. But he will not be drawn.
    ‘I don’t look at Ray at all,’ he says. ‘I do admire him from a distance, though. Because he worked very hard to build up that listenership, him and his team, and he has a great formula, and really loyal following.
    'I’m actually really happy for him, he has just had a second child and he is really enjoying being a dad and good luck to him. But I don’t listen back to other shows or get into trading blows with him. Others around me would be listening to his show to see if we are clashing or if we can do something better than him. But yeah, he is doing really well. In fact, I wish he would stop doing so well, that would be very helpful.
    ‘I think we are quietly taking little risks all the time,’ he says. ‘I think my producer, Paul Russell, is an amazing friend and mentor on the show. He will say to me: “That was s****, why would you say that? Don’t ever say that again please.” That is a great relationship to have because he is honest and not telling me what I want to hear. He is a straight shooter and if he keeps that up we will keep going forward.’

So he is still blaming losing all those listeners on the death of G. Ryan. By restructuring 2fm I assume he means sack a load of his colleagues, while keeping the person who lost over 40% of his audience in place i.e., himself. How "risk taking" of you Ryan.

Oh yeah - he is writing a new book.
    about pop culture in Ireland and Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

In an ideal world I would do a three-hour show, but I have The Late Late Show, and to add another five hours of live radio on top of my agenda in the week would be detrimental in some ways to my health.

The guy is deluded... People dont like listening to him for two hours every mornining.. So, what is the solution? Make the show THREE hours long! You'd wonder why oh why RTE feel so obliged to put that contract in front of him though.. As far as the nautical metaphors go, the only one that actually seems appropriate is the Titanic metaphor..

From a recent interview the head of 2fm gave and this article it's obvious there's a hell of a lot of "group thinking" going on regarding the Tubridy Show. It needs someone from the outside to come in and point out - the emperor is stark bollock naked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I don't want to be mean (I don't care how much money someone earns) but surely Tubridy's niche is Latedate, period.

He has that dipper daperness and old fogeyness (even though he's not 40 yet) that suits that show. So RTE executives, how about shifting Ryan to the Latedate slot and find suitable replacements for all his other shows/activities

Apparently he has gained listeners in the latest JNLR results.

Untrue
    A He is off more than he is on(moonlighting for the bbc and whatever else)
    B Did these figures include dave fanning and colm hayes standing in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

jimmynokia wrote: »

Untrue

C He actually gained listeners. Just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

That was the last time I listened to that show as my first choice in the mornings, I've occasional listened on Colm Hayes and I don't mind him on that time slot, he is growing (slowely) on me. As for our BBC hero, less said the better.

Colmo52 wrote: »

Untrue

C He actually

gained listeners. Just accept it.

D the show itself gained listners with the stand ins.. I accept that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Colmo52 wrote: »
    C He actually gained listeners. Just accept it.

Today FM said the Ray D’Arcy Show had achieved its highest listenership - 255,000 - since the morning show began almost 12 years ago.

Tubs is surely due a pay rise from Today FM. I don't believe that he will be back on 2FM come September, will be on Raidio a hAon. How the likes of Aidric still have the cheek to criticise JimmyN is beyond me. Jimmy was spot-on about old Tubbers, he has been a disaster in 2 just as Jim predicted.

As we say our goodbyes Ryan is off to pick up a book as a present for his brother.Is it Fifty Shades Of Grey?

I thought Fifty Shades Of Grey was a pile of s****, he blurts out. I got through chapter one and I said: This is appalling. Then I realised what was wrong, it’s for women. I flicked through to the saucy bits and got embarrassed for everyone involved.

Then everywhere I looked, on the plane, the tube, all the women are reading it. It’s not for me, and not out of being prude but I am flabbergasted at its popularity. I wish I had written it, though, because it is a monster

He is back and back to his old self.

Here is where rte waste money.
    This is his new ad on tv and nothing radio related at all ,epic fail
    http://t.co/Q0f17cOs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

As somebody who regularly listened to G.Ryan and gave tubs a chance but has since switched to Todayfm, this ad would not make me go rushing back to 2fm. If anything it re-affirms my dislike of Tubridys show and his broadcasting style.

jvan wrote: »
    As somebody who regularly listened to G.Ryan and gave tubs a chance but has since switched to Todayfm, this ad would not make me go rushing back to 2fm. If anything it re-affirms my dislike of Tubridys show and his broadcasting style.

The ad is totally pointless..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

The ad is totally pointless..

True, similar to Colm Hayes' exploding telephones ad. Think rte need a new advertising agency!!

jvan wrote: »
    True, similar to Colm Hayes' exploding telephones ad. Think rte need a new advertising agency!!

They need more than that 17million in debt this ad is part reason for that ..

The first thing that came to mind is that tubbers is a pr**k. There is a photo of him with Maeve Binchy on his facebook page which makes me think that he plucks his eyebrows. He's got an ould bushy unibrow thing going on. Colm Hayes's barbecue came on after that promo, the whole feel was much more relaxed and it was nice to see Lottie Ryan reporting on celeb news. I am surprised that tubs has a new ad for 2fm as i thought that he would be moving back to radio a haon. He has lost a substantial portion of the audience that he inherited from Gerry, but it would be interesting to learn the gender balance of the current audience. The selling point of the show is that ryan is a nerd who likes women but that men would be suspicious of being half-bent. He likes to talk about girly things such as weddings, relationships and books but he is still attractive and attracted to women. Today he was part of the launch for know your neighbour. Fair enough if he is involved in charity work but he is exploiting it by plugging it on his show and pretending to be a man of the people. Typical Fianna Fail bs. Tubridy wouldn't give her the time of day if it wasnt for the photo op.

He is taking the pee now tbh..
    My renewal came in the door today which did not help knowing they are in such debt paying silly money to no talent.
    Yet they make an ad which is pointless and nothing to do with radio, and you see him going on like a child as per usual..

The first thing that came to mind is that tubbers is a pr**k.

I think Tubridy is a fairly rubbish radio presenter, but calling him a prick on a public forum is all a bit unnecessary. You never did explain why your unconditional love for Tubs changed to utter loading overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Lead balloons would have been more appropriate...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

So they shouldn't raise awareness through advertising in the face of falling numbers? Well thought out point as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

telekon wrote: »
    Lead balloons would have been more appropriate...

Or one giant balloon being burst..

Aidric wrote: »
    So they shouldn't raise awareness through advertising in the face of falling numbers? Well thought out point as usual.

Making stupid ads and creating awareness costs money aidric,WELL THOUGHT THAT ONE.
    Remember they are in debt... And the licence payer has to foot the bill..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Get the matchstick back over the water asap, he's getting more fragile by the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I am always amazed by the number of posters here who claim they can't stand Tubridy but who seem to follow his every move. They always "just happened to hear" his radio show. Ditto the Late Late Show. Plus every newspaper article about him gets posted here too.I just don't understand it. If you don't like him forget about him and move on.

tinyk68 wrote: »
    I am always amazed by the number of posters here who claim they can't stand Tubridy but who seem to follow his every move. They always "just happened to hear" his radio show. Ditto the Late Late Show. Plus every newspaper article about him gets posted here too.I just don't understand it. If you don't like him forget about him and move on.
    Nothing amazing at all it's just called been subscribed to news feeds etc, same was as you would here.
    Quite simple really..
    So your comment is actually pointless.

Why resort to personal attacks on other posters? I am perfectly entitled to make any point i wish. Why are you not angry with tubbers games for a new contract? He is like a child on the radio now so your comment is really pointless. On that article so many of the people are negative;so many people are sick of his antics. He has alienated half of the country, all of his show is now for women, same with darcy and dunne. Men are forgotten now, we are all treated like garbage by tubs. Aoibheann is his golden child now, her face is all over rte.

He was brilliant on the Full Irish so it would be great it he could recreate that form and return to those halcyon days. He modelled himself on Chris Evans the nerd made good stlye on bbc, he needs to bring back that mayhem, the sense that anything can happen. He got too conservative when he took over the LLS. I was convinced by Poly, JonathonAnon, Mrsdewinter and Jimmy that i was wrong now i am waiting for Tubridy to take me back into the fold. People are willing to give him a chance but playing contract games and dumbing down wont help him.

My favourite time with tubs was his radio 1 show. He focused on books, american politics and important issues but it wasnt just that. He had an energy, a daring; maybe the carrott of the LLS made him reckless on radio 1. The first page of this thread is from 4 years ago when tubbbers had a round table discussion on chivalry. He needs to bring back his book club and be more intellectually. Bored housewives droning on about snot-nosed kids should be banned, talking about tampons, bullying and video games. So if that answers your question, i will continue to follow him.

• Advertisement

Why resort to personal attacks on other posters? I am perfectly entitled to make any point i wish. Why are you not angry with tubbers games for a new contract? He is like a child on the radio now so your comment is really pointless. On that article so many of the people are negative;so many people are sick of his antics. He has alienated half of the country, all of his show is now for women, same with darcy and dunne. Men are forgotten now, we are all treated like garbage by tubs. Aoibheann is his golden child now, her face is all over rte.

He was brilliant on the Full Irish so it would be great it he could recreate that form and return to those halcyon days. He modelled himself on Chris Evans the nerd made good stlye on bbc, he needs to bring back that mayhem, the sense that anything can happen. He got too conservative when he took over the LLS. I was convinced by Poly, JonathonAnon, Mrsdewinter and Jimmy that i was wrong now i am waiting for Tubridy to take me back into the fold. People are willing to give him a chance but playing contract games and dumbing down wont help him.

My favourite time with tubs was his radio 1 show. He focused on books, american politics and important issues but it wasnt just that. He had an energy, a daring; maybe the carrott of the LLS made him reckless on radio 1. The first page of this thread is from 4 years ago when tubbbers had a round table discussion on chivalry. He needs to bring back his book club and be more intellectually. Bored housewives droning on about snot-nosed kids should be banned, talking about tampons, bullying and video games. So if that answers your question, i will continue to follow him.

Man you do make good reading even when you where tubs fan your comments where great you can put up a great argument and now they are even better... As we both know we and a few others there is only two tubridy fans left.

Advertisement