Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

jimmynokia and gherital - this is a genuine question- why do you listen to someone who you find so awful.
    I was previously an avid fan of a few programs on newstalk but now I think the station has gone to the dogs so I don't listen to it anymore. I gave it a few months hoping it would get better but it didn't so I switched off. Why do you persevere with it? It baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I don't listen I flick through stations every day and listen to what appeals to me, And anytime I land on tubs he is talking bull, or talking something way of scale.
    That's how it is. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

He is old enough to be her father? He's 39 she's 29. I'd love to know how that makes him old enough to be her father.
    Anyway if this thread is supposed to be about the quality of his radio and tv output what has his girlfriend got to do with it?
    From what I read here it seems the only purpose of this thread is to villify him personally and anyone who defends him gets rounded on too. I bet there are loads of people who read this thread who are afraid to post a positive comment for fear of the reaction it will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

jimmynokia and gherital - this is a genuine question- why do you listen to someone who you find so awful.

tbh, it's not just the radio.. I rarely listen to him, bar I'm in the car and I usually end up switching between him and Murray in disbelief as to how either show can be broadcast on national radio.

But there's no getting away from him... Obviously he presents the Late Late, voices a number of ads for Saorview, barmy new TV ads for his terminally flawed radio show, and he's constantly in the newspapers when it suits him .... Particularly annoying are those placed articles about how he is "not leaving RTE" every time the BBC ask him to fill in for somebody... The inference being that Tubridy is soooooo good that he is being headhunted by foreign stations....

If they want you, Tubridy, JUST GO. RTE cant afford you any more, particularly with the shocking revelation of 17 million loss, just when it seemed like they were starting to get their books in order.. In any properly run company, based on the cold figures, Tubridy would not have had his contract renewed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

just when it seemed like they were starting to get their books in order.

Books?
    He'll have a new one out shortly and you won't be able to geat away from that either.
    Probably make an tax-payer funded show about it as well like his last one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

If they want you, Tubridy, JUST GO. RTE cant afford you any more, particularly with the shocking revelation of 17 million loss, just when it seemed like they were starting to get their books in order.. In any properly run company, based on the cold figures, Tubridy would not have had his contract renewed..

The only real interest I have Tubridy is RTE's non-reaction to the utter disaster his move to 2fm has been. It just beggar's belief that he is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

But there's no getting away from him... Obviously he presents the Late Late, voices a number of ads for Saorview, barmy new TV ads for his terminally flawed radio show, and he's constantly in the newspapers when it suits him .... Particularly annoying are those placed articles about how he is "not leaving RTE" every time the BBC ask him to fill in for somebody... The inference being that Tubridy is soooooo good that he is being headhunted by foreign stations....

Watching the Olympics it really hits you how poorly we perform on the international stage yet we think that we are world beaters. If there was an Olympics for broadcasters how would Tubridy do? His performances on radio and tv since he was given the LLS has been nothing short of pathetic. I haven't always been one for slagging off RTE but i think that the whole organisation has had an absolutely shocking few years. He still doesn't get it, the only thing he is interested in is how he can screw as much money from the public as possible.

I have to disagree that RTE cannot afford him anymore. A talent like tubs deserves no more than 20,000 euro a year. Offer him that, if he doesn't want it he can leave. We are a small country like Lithuania or Latvia. What do they pay their radio presenters? He only works a few hours a day so he could get a part-time job as well if he couldn't survive on that salary. It might make him better on the radio because he would be able to empathise with ordinary people. Will Leahy has a full time job as well as his 2fm slot so there is nothing to stop tubs doing likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,531 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I genuinely find Ryan funny when he tells anecdotes about getting 'in touch' with the common man - travelling on the DART, wearing jeans. Did somebody say Partridge?

Listened to the Katie Taylor fight today, probably for about 25 minutes and heard 2 separate ads for tubridy. 2 different ads, one simply advertising the show and the second one was supposedly for "know your neighbour" but said listen to tubridy on 2fm to find out more. Plus he has a Tv ad as well. He certainly is the golden boy of RTE, has any other presenter been afforded this much aid? Also the fact that someone as greedy,aloof and pompous as tubridy is fronting such a campaign will not help it succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I genuinely find Ryan funny when he tells anecdotes about getting 'in touch' with the common man - travelling on the DART, wearing jeans. Did somebody say Partridge?
    man....I've been watching "mid morning matters" with alan partridge lately, it's almost like he listens to tubs for inspiration!

• Advertisement

did he get to talk about john joe nevin this morning ....all i heard was katie katie katie...>???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Glad to see the last post was actually referring to a radio show with Tubridy presenting. Everyone else take note. This is a radio forum so all topics surrounding RTs other interests can be discussed elsewhere on Boards.ie

He went on like a child on the radio this morning,blanked JJN and gave katie all the credit.
    Then out of the blue he said "i dont care but im sneaking it in" american politics ? wtf has american politics go to do with bloody boxing.
    Later on then he had a nice book chat,clearly the new management is not working.

same this morning....katie katie katie...medals medals medals....dervla dervla and not one mention of Michael Conlon by name!! He won us a f**ing medal!!
    He has obviously told his new production team to get stuffed as he then launched straight into a rehearsed scripted monologue (exactly like ray darcy) about nothing...well questions you shouldn't ask...such as is your wine from lidl...how can you afford that dress....muck

same this morning....katie katie katie...medals medals medals....dervla dervla and not one mention of Michael Conlon by name!! He won us a f**ing medal!!
    He has obviously told his new production team to get stuffed as he then launched straight into a rehearsed scripted monologue (exactly like ray darcy) about nothing...well questions you shouldn't ask...such as is your wine from lidl...how can you afford that dress....muck

The show is for women that's why no mention of any male boxer/athlete. He is trying to approach it from a feminine point, ignorant of sport but saying aren't our female athletes great, showing up the men. Muck is a good word to describe it. Heard that bit about faux-pas, all about women "Have you asked a woman with a bump when is she due?", making a comment to a woman about her unruly kids, how much did that dress cost? Absolute garbage. It has actually become funnier again, he seems to be loving this muck and is acting like a real child.

On that tv ad with the balloons, every single person saying "Hi Ryan" is a woman. Personally i think it is a disastrous policy to alienate half your audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Spotted that add on RTE last night about RT's show in the morning. Awful awful ad. Must be desperate for numbers at this stage as I havent seen his show (on it's own) being advertised on TV before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The ad with the balloons - thats a take on one of Ryan's favourite movies Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory isnt it? (I really, really want to push this button; Oh No!..........).

Which would suggest RT is having creative input into the production of ads for RTE?

Whatever person or group or committee or vested interests ordained the golden boy just wont quit. They are like bankers kicking the can down the road. 10 years of zero JNLR ratings wouldnt make them face the truth because they cant afford the fallout of being proven utterly wrong about Ryan Tubridy's non existent talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

His style of dress is so off as well. Straight 1987.

Why is there no justice in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    The ad with the balloons - thats a take on one of Ryan's favourite movies Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory isnt it? (I really, really want to push this button; Oh No!..........).

That ad reminds me of this. Tubridy has the same charisma as Pennywise the Clown.

I cant stand all his jingoistic nonsense.. "Wasnt Katie great".. "Weren't Leinster great" etc etc.. I can envisage Tubridy switching on the 100 inch home cinema, seeing sport on the telly and saying "ah fiddlesticks" to himself, before reaching for his boxsets..

'Jingoistic nonsense' is in his DNA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ghiertal wrote: »
    On that tv ad with the balloons, every single person saying "Hi Ryan" is a woman..

No they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Aidric wrote: »
    No they aren't.

You're right! There's definitely one man's voice at the start before being drowned out by a flood of female voices for the rest of the ad.

Good spot Aidric!

*slow claps*

Whats blatantly clear is that RTE and the producers just care,he is slipping in all his old silly ways again and they let him at it,the ad clearly shows that.

Or maybe its a case they are not renewing his contract or hoping he will feck off to the BBC

Just watching the ad last night with the balloons, and it got me thinking. Wasn't tubs originally marketed as an intellectual? Wasn't he the new golden boy of RTE? They seem to passing him off as a clown now to get the ratings up.

Who is happy to have these people? An independent candidate could get elected on slashing and burning the sacred cow of RTE. Public service me asre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

jimmynokia wrote: »

Did anybody else hear Damien Farrelly's little pop at Ryan this morning. While reading the headlines of the papers at about 6:50 he qouted Tubridy's salary from one of the papers, then throws in 'and I'm on nowhere near half that'. His excessive wages are must be hitting a nerve with regular rte staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Altogether now: 'Rock Boys are We, our ......................

Advertisement