Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap bikes?

• 20-08-2010 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination or are some of the beneficiaries of the "Bike to Work" scheme selling their tax-free bikes? There seems to have been an increase of "higher quality" bikes for sale in the various ads.

As a possibly related, or not, , what are the thoughts on this?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1509681

Full?id=3814319

€250 for a €1000 bike a couple of months old?

Too cheap? Dodgy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Sounds a bit dodgy to me - why are they asking so little? Wouldn't do any harm to contact them and ask about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gophur wrote: »
    Too cheap? Dodgy?

Poster of fiddy cen' in the background, and "wayne cannot be contacted by email".

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Definitely odd.

I'm not sure about the CTW thing though, I mean, if someone buys an entry level road bike, gets hooked and decides to sell it on, the only person who wins is the buyer because there are plenty of second hand road bikes at rock bottom prices. The seller can only avail of the scheme once every 5 years I believe, so I don't think they are gaining much by selling their "tax free bike" and buying a more expensive bike at full retail price.

The scheme still works because more people are cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buying a CTW scheme bike to sell it on to a stranger makes very little sense, since bikes lose about 20% as soon as they first change hands.

I can't really see it being worth the hassle, even to a higher rate taxpayer.

There is no doubt a lot of rule-bending, but in the wider picture of government subsidies (bank recapitalisations, car scrappage schemes etc) its pretty small beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i think the oddest thing about that is that the bike new is 1000 euro. it looks like a piece of ****e. i think it has a flat front wheel. i wonder will wayne mend it before he sells it? did he puncture it when cuttin the lock off i wonder?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Buying a CTW scheme bike to sell it on to a stranger makes very little sense, since bikes lose about 20% as soon as they first change hands.

I don't mean selling it on immediately. I have seen threads and heard people buying a bike like a defy 4 on the CTW, mainly because they want a road bike but are shocked at how expensive they are. They buy the bike, the gear and start cycling. Next thing they see a sleeker bike, decide they are enjoying this cycling lark and suddenly understand why people spend crazy amounts of money on carbon bikes and fancy wheels. So, they want to sell the defy and upgrade. The only person who wins is the buyer because I have seen a LOT of defy 4s with very little use going for very good prices.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's cycling and it's not meant to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

i think the oddest thing about that is that the bike new is 1000 euro. it looks like a piece of ****e. i think it has a flat front wheel. i wonder will wayne mend it before he sells it? did he puncture it when cuttin the lock off i wonder?

Anyone able to identify the exact model of bike it is?

What is the actual new price of the bike?

its a merida road race couldnt find them on an irish website but around 600 sterlin so 1000 probably is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Gophur wrote: »
    Anyone able to identify the exact model of bike it is?

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php?xProd=7423

looks like waynes pullin a fast one

• Advertisement

i think it might have been used for more than a few months too. looks like his ones an older model the new one in the link above seems to have straight forks but waynes one doesnt

It's a Merida Road Race 750:

SPEEDS16
    SIZES45-48-50-52.5-55-57.5
    COLORwhite
    FORKRoad Oval
    BB SETSunRace cartridge
    BRAKE LEVERSattached
    BRAKE FRONTLee Chi Road Dual Pivot
    BRAKE REARLee Chi Road Dual Pivot
    CHAINShimano HG50
    CHAINWHEELSunRace R86 50-34
    FRONT DERAILLEURSunRace Road
    REAR DERAILLEURSunRace RDR86
    FREEWHEELSunRace CSR86 12-25
    GRIPRoad Cork Tape White
    HANDLEBARXM Speed CEN Road 31.8
    STEMXM Comp CEN OS -8
    HEADSETConoid A-Head
    HUB FRONTFormular Alloy QR
    HUB REARFormular Cassette QR
    RIMSRoad Double Wall
    SADDLEFM 525
    SEAT CLAMPRoad Allen
    SEATPOSTKalloy Alloy
    SHIFTER FRONTSunRace R80 2
    SHIFTER REARSunRace R80 8
    TIRE FRONTKenda Koncept 23c
    TIRE REARKenda Koncept 23c

Very underwhelming spec, he is obviously taking the piss as I can't see how that bike ever cost 1000 euro. Ask him if he has a receipt.

Sunrace is an "affordable" brand, I don't know anymore than that. If it was a choice between that and another 8 speed groupset like 2200/2300, I'd go with the shimano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

there is no way this bike cost 1000. it has sunrace shifters and r80 mech ffs!

Wayne you crafty f**k

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Don't know if it's me but the geometry looks awful on that bike.

£600 is nowhere near €1000!!! It would convert to less than €750 at the worst conversion rate around!

Anyway, If it was €750 new or €1000 (People always exaggerate their purchasing price to make it ook more of a bargain), it's definitely worth a look for that money.

If there were lumps & scrapes on the frame & it looked badly maintained then I would be inclined to think that Wayne never bought the bike. Who'd pay €1000 for a bike, abuse it & then move it on for €250??? :confused:

Worth a call but ask questions like the size frame obviously & the group set (Is it Shimano 105, Sora or whatever) then ask are the forks carbon!

If he struggles to answer any of these questions that would tell me he doesn't know the bike. If he say he's selling for a friend it's another excuse!

Ball is in your court but just be wary. €250 is still a few quid to throw away even if it is a bargain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I won't be buying that bike.

I'm waiting for my employer to give me the all-clear on Bike to Work. It's being delayed by one particular individual, who's life purpose seems to be as much a pain in the ar5e to every as is possible.

barochoc wrote: »
    Don't know if it's me but the geometry looks awful on that bike.

£600 is nowhere near €1000!!! It would convert to less than €750 at the worst conversion rate around!

id say 600 sterlin is very close to 1000 euro. it comes out at around 740 if you just convert it but go down to your local bike shop and they'll screw ya outa the other 200 euro :D

anyone check out chain reactions deal on the viper bikes? similar to the planet x ultegra sl but only 1300 euro sounds good to me. never heard of that make bike before tho. is it any good?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42048

ooops i replied to the wrong thread, dunno how that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

being in receipt of stolen goods is quiet serious. buyer beware.

Advertisement