Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rumour Mill...

Options
  • 20-08-2010 11:00am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Why not?

Everyone has their own "I heard..." story, so I'm going to share mine.

I heard that they are doing their best to put on a November intake. It's not solid information as I have no way of verifying it with the original source, and don't particularly want to say who or how I heard it from. I believe the person who told me honestly believes this to be true, and would have no reason to lie to me ever.

Please don't PM me about this - everything I heard is in this post.

What rumours have you heard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

I'll start it off. I was talking to one of the yellows who said that there was an intake on their timetable for November. Saying that, it is the exact opposite to what the trainers in GV are saying, as they are speculating that it could be 4-5 years before another intake, as a lot of them are being redeployed to operational stations.

Botton line - I don't think even Mr Baggott knows himself until he finds out how much money he has to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have heard that starting in November there will be 4 intakes up to March 2011 (and the end of 50/50 ).
    I have also heard that when recruitment resumes thereafter (whenever that may ) recruits will only be paid a ' training allowance ' just like Student Gardai so no chance of paying off your Student Loan while in G.V.

God but I love rumours - keep 'em coming folks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

psni wrote: »
    Why not?

Everyone has their own "I heard..." story, so I'm going to share mine.

I heard that they are doing their best to put on a November intake. It's not solid information as I have no way of verifying it with the original source, and don't particularly want to say who or how I heard it from. I believe the person who told me honestly believes this to be true, and would have no reason to lie to me ever.

Please don't PM me about this - everything I heard is in this post.

What rumours have you heard?

That would be lovely!!! Maybe if we all keep saying that it will come true. Here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

I've heard the August intake is the last for 5 years. That comes from someone who was told this during their induction day.

We were told that but no-one knows for sure until October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

sydnor wrote: »
    I've heard the August intake is the last for 5 years. That comes from someone who was told this during their induction day.
    4-6 years was mentioned but it didn't sound like the person who said it actually knew that. They were probably just throwing time scales out there to show how unpredictable the whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

4-6 years would be heartbreaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I heard (indirectly) from someone in the august intake that there is an intake planned for Jan 2011.

This would be great news for those of you who have very good merit placings!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

I didn't wanna post to get peoples hope up bit heard very similar
    And would be a decent intake but the freeze will more effect c17

wanadrum wrote: »
    I heard (indirectly) from someone in the august intake that there is an intake planned for Jan 2011.

This would be great news for those of you who have very good merit placings!

There are a few classes scheduled on the timetable but it doesn't really mean anything I'm afraid, the are 1 or 2 on the timetable for before January to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Right here is my quids worth,

A friend on a training course at Garnerville has just texted me that recruitment is starting again.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Recruitment or an intake? V-E-R-Y different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Sorry that should read intake, they would hardly put a recruitment drive together when they hane not finished the current.

I have asked for my contact to do some more fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

I heard they're still on to take in 440 this financial year, but minus the intakes that have gone through in this financial year for the previous campaign.

notbrazil wrote: »
    I heard they're still on to take in 440 this financial year, but minus the intakes that have gone through in this financial year for the previous campaign.

....which means a lot less places available for C16'ers - if that was the case I reckon we could be looking at half the normal number of slots ( would also mean Merit Scores would need to be even higher than normal ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fingers Crossed

Does anyone know how many intakes have already taken place from April cause Surely to calculate how many places are available for C16 we could start by roughly deducting places already gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Am I right in saying it has only been the August intake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

What was the point in having c17 if there were still people from c16available to fill intakes?

I'm just not sure of the logistics of the whole idea of squads after October, for various reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

The latest rumours I've heard are at least 2 more intakes and possibly up to 6 before March

• Advertisement

I've heard four intakes...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

Was speaking with someone I know and they said they'd heard that there would be 2 more intakes for definate with a further 2 possible

Just hearsay at the moment but thought I'd share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

I heard today from a pretty good source that there will be 4 intakes before xmas but not sure after that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

anay75 wrote: »
    I heard today from a pretty good source that there will be 4 intakes before xmas but not sure after that.

Highly doubt that. Intakes are 5 weeks apart and no sign of one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I heard at the start of this campaign that there was to be 220 places on offer way before there was any talk of freezes publicly. So when recruitment starts back they might be sticking to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

dont give up hope just yet. ;):mad::):D(;))

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

dont give up hope just yet. ;):mad::):D(;))

Do you know something we don't :p

I'm just happy although rumours but everyone is hearing same stories that their might be a training group soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

lol i know lots of things you dont know, as im sure you lots of things i dont know.

cryptic messages aside, apparently the psni get their budget in the next number of weeks and thats when the decisions will be made. if i was a betting man id say there will be more intakes between now and april. Id hate to be in the position some of you guys are in, it was hard enough for me when i found out my merit number over christmas and didnt get in until aug.

All i can say to anyone still waiting or from the next campaign is its not over till you get the dear john letter... and to one girl in my squad the dear john letter was followed 2 years later by a opps we made a mistake turns out you are good enough letter. (i think she is the exception to that rule mind) Keep focused on the job/studying/whatever you are doing at the moment, once youve done the tests and role plays the medical and vetting, there really is nothing you can do, its out of your control. accept that and when the call comes its sooo much sweeter.

getting the phone call and a place at the factory is only the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Here's a rumour for you and maybe somebody who can be bothered can work out when the dates are going to be.

Was talking to a tutor con the other day and they say they have been told there will be a squad coming out next month (as in passing out) and then no more for 15 weeks. After that there are going to be 3 in a row (i.e every 5 weeks) and after that they have no idea. So on that point some of you currently in G'ville can confirm or deny the passing out part.

They have also been told there are contractual obligations which, according to the tutor con, they are taking to mean anybody through the process already will have to be offered places if they placed high enough. They are also hearing rumours of one more campaign next year.

As for over all numbers - no idea.

I suppose the main thing to take from that is they arent being told they are getting moved elsewhere. For the time being they are still tutor cons.

There's a wee bit more hope for all you in limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

BoutYe wrote: »
    Here's a rumour for you and maybe somebody who can be bothered can work out when the dates are going to be.

Was talking to a tutor con the other day and they say they have been told there will be a squad coming out next month (as in passing out) and then no more for 15 weeks. After that there are going to be 3 in a row (i.e every 5 weeks) and after that they have no idea. So on that point some of you currently in G'ville can confirm or deny the passing out part.

Would the October intake not be passing out before that timeline?

Advertisement