Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rumour Mill...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I posted a few weeks ago that a very reputable source told me that they (PSNI) have been given extra money and they will be recruiting again soon - this came from someone who is 'cheif constable or ACPO rank'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 luckyb123

Does that mean another intake or a fresh campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

luckyb123 wrote: »
    Does that mean another intake or a fresh campaign?

I hope it's a fresh campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

I would say there are alot waiting on a new campaign to start to apply for the first time like myself. Can you be going through the application process for psni and have apllied for say the Met for example at the same time or can you only apply to one UK force at a time?

quickcatch wrote: »
    I would say there are alot waiting on a new campaign to start to apply for the first time like myself. Can you be going through the application process for psni and have apllied for say the Met for example at the same time or can you only apply to one UK force at a time?

It's supposed to be that you can only apply for one force at a time, and that you must wait 12 months after one application to apply to another (although I could be wrong on that bit) I emailed Strathclyde last year to clarify as I thought it was a bit of a daft rule. I stated that I had only just gone through the first stage of the PSNI recruitment process (IST) and would this mean I could not apply for them and would I really have to wait 12 months before applying and basically they said yes, same rules apply, you can't apply to more than one force at once regardless of it being the PSNI and not over on the mainland and you have to give it 12 months from your rejection date...

However I have since been told that technically you can still apply to another while going through the PSNI recruitment process as because the first bits are all handled externally by Deloitte, technically you've not actually applied to the PSNI untill you reach the merit pool...so you can get away with it at first, not sure how it would work though if say you did apply for the Met at the same time as the PSNI and were still in the running for both at the time you make it to the merit pool, I imagine that might throw up a few problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

Hey everyone, back to the boards after a bit of a break. Used to be known round these here parts as Bubbles, but fancied a change!

Heard a wee rumour that a new campaign would be anounced in March.

If this really is the last intake from C16, then there would be quite a period of time at GV with no students, surely the trainers and staff at GV would know by now if they were going to be re-deployed? To my knowledge they havent been told they are being moved anywhere, and they are refurbishing parts of GV. This could point to continued recruitment in some form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Alrite bubbles whats the craic? I think training is a around 28weeks so trainers wouldnt be going anywhere for a while yet, and if they start a new campaign then its possible that in 7months they could be ready for the first intake. could be true but its bound to cost a fortune paying for all the test venues etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Why start a new campaign when they have people sitting waiting, with our medical & vetting passed?!

Buzz35 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, back to the boards after a bit of a break. Used to be known round these here parts as Bubbles, but fancied a change!

Heard a wee rumour that a new campaign would be anounced in March.

If this really is the last intake from C16, then there would be quite a period of time at GV with no students, surely the trainers and staff at GV would know by now if they were going to be re-deployed? To my knowledge they havent been told they are being moved anywhere, and they are refurbishing parts of GV. This could point to continued recruitment in some form?

Oh I hope so, I don't care if they are looking for 10 people or 1000 people, it's still a chance to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

True but if they start a new campaign I will be working my balls off to get a decent merit number!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

True but if they start a new campaign I will be working my balls off to get a decent merit number!

Sometimes thats still not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

and if they start a new campaign then its possible that in 7months they could be ready for the first intake.

It was actually written in the Patten Report that the recruitment process was too long and "that the process should be reduced to no more than six months" I dont think i have ever heard of someone getting in within 6 months of a campaign starting, never mind for it to be the 'norm'. Would be nice if it did become the norm. Also hope for all you boardies that Buzz is right and there will be a new campaign in March :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

fefe5 wrote: »
    It was actually written in the Patten Report that the recruitment process was too long and "that the process should be reduced to no more than six months" I dont think i have ever heard of someone getting in within 6 months of a campaign starting, never mind for it to be the 'norm'. Would be nice if it did become the norm. Also hope for all you boardies that Buzz is right and there will be a new campaign in March :rolleyes:

Yeah , I always laugh at that bit of Patten ! I would love to know how long the RUC recruitment process took - I do recall reading somewhere that it involved several interviews and was a pretty drawn out business.

I am glad Deloitte are involved - I think they're very efficient ( only a pity the whole process isn't as smooth ).

Delancey wrote: »
    Yeah , I always laugh at that bit of Patten ! I would love to know how long the RUC recruitment process took - I do recall reading somewhere that it involved several interviews and was a pretty drawn out business.

I am glad Deloitte are involved - I think they're very efficient ( only a pity the whole process isn't as smooth ).

Well I have to say I do believe that the PSNI recruitment should have one interview at some stage during the process, but I can't even begin to imagine how much that would lengthen the whole process :rolleyes: (even more than it is now:p )

Have to agree about Deloitte! I would hope that if the PSNI does get rid of 50:50, they will continue to outsource the stages such as IST and AC. Would make sense in my eyes as other firms have tests drawn up and are focused to deal with it etc...

Guess, we just have to watch this space... Even tho I have got the call, I'm intrested to see what March will bring regarding recruitment, 50:50 and such. Hoping its good news for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mal4893

I have to agree, I think there should be an interview in there at some stage! There is qualities in some people that a IST and AC can't bring out! Ok they give a good indacaition on how smart someone is but as many of you know being smart isn't the "be all, end all" some experience in a similar role or having a good head on your shoulders can be every bit as good!!!

As for making the process longer, I don't think it would, put one person on interviews full time and he (she!) could give 150+ interviews a week. They could put in in after the IST and make the list smaller for the AC! Saving money too!

Only a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Another good way to limit the pool for the AC would be to have some1 from the psni at the ist and pickin out anyone who is obviosly gonna fail at other hurdles.

Dont know about the rest of you but at my 2 IST's at least a dozen people failed to queue up in the right line before entering the exam room at registration plus alot of people wit tattoos that might them out etc, i have tattoos myself but all coverable under the policy and if i could see their tattoos so could a member of the vetting staff.

Also one of the people at my last AC was at the wrong location and was allowed to participate.

And some of these people could be clogging up the system only to be ruled out at vetting or medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

mal4893 wrote: »
    I have to agree, I think there should be an interview in there at some stage!
    I seem to remember an Interview with a panel of two people at the end of the AC day? In which case that would obviously been assesed and considered in the overall marking. I mayvery well have dreamt that though, who knows ;)

- tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

weepete wrote: »
    Another good way to limit the pool for the AC would be to have some1 from the psni at the ist and pickin out anyone who is obviosly gonna fail at other hurdles.

Dont know about the rest of you but at my 2 IST's at least a dozen people failed to queue up in the right line before entering the exam room at registration plus alot of people wit tattoos that might them out etc, i have tattoos myself but all coverable under the policy and if i could see their tattoos so could a member of the vetting staff.

Also one of the people at my last AC was at the wrong location and was allowed to participate.

And some of these people could be clogging up the system only to be ruled out at vetting or medical

The PSNI having nothing to do with the initial stages of recruitment is an excellent idea and I can't imagine having someone standing there saying 'I like the cut of him/her, he/she has a tattoo, they wont be a good cop' it would be unfair and possibly a rights issue. I cant see the problem with Tattoos, unless they are sectarian or something thick like a hash leaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

shampon wrote: »
    The PSNI having nothing to do with the initial stages of recruitment is an excellent idea and I can't imagine having someone standing there saying 'I like the cut of him/her, he/she has a tattoo, they wont be a good cop' it would be unfair and possibly a rights issue. I cant see the problem with Tattoos, unless they are sectarian or something thick like a hash leaf.

I know sorry just wee bit of a rant on my behalf

Tango victor - that interview was the situational interview at the end of the AC same principal as the roleplays just you had to talk it out with yourself you did not dream it buddy

I have heard a rumor that the Met will begin recruiting again on March 14th but it will initially only take from PCSO's.

Think its a positive sign and hopefully one that will be mirrored by the PSNI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Shampon, do you really think the current process is fair, open and efficient? I don't.

wanadrum wrote: »
    Shampon, do you really think the current process is fair, open and efficient? I don't.

Throughout the whole process I was treated with nothing but professionalism and integrity. The outsourcing of the initial stages was foreign to me, having applied for the Guards numerous times,if you think people not showing up on the right days is bad with the AC and IST, apply for the Guards then tell me that it's not fair open and efficient, if you have applied for the Guards you'll know that if your going for an interview on the same day as a handy GAA/Rugby/Football/Tiddlewinks player, Son, Daughter, Nephew of a member then you might as-well turn around and go home, you could be Elliot Ness and you'd still miss it by two points, (this is in no way an attack on AGS, but asking are family members in the job is definitley a conflict of interest)

I read in the Times/Indo that the last intake into Templemoore had an unusually high number of Sons, Daughters, Nieces and Nephews of serving members, that is neither fair, open or transparent and reeks of crony-ism regardless of which way you look at it and I dont for one second believe that whole it's in your blood thing, it's not thats the greatest load of bollocks I've ever heard in my life, show me the scientific evidence and I'll get in line with that school of thought.

The way Deloitte handle there part cannot be faulted, they have been nothing but professional and courteous to me. Now when you leave Deloitte's nest, yes, the process moves at a slower pace, this is understandable but any dealings I had with the fine men and women in recruitment/vetting were much better then those I had with the people in the park (again my opinion)

In regards to 50/50, It's there/was there for a reason. However knowing that people who scored lower get the job ahead of you because of clearing vetting etc is not nice, but again, it's there for a reason. Thankfully with my scores, I was never going to need it. I brought my A Game and knocked the **** out of every test that was put in front of me. Simple as. Do I feel bad about those that scored higher not getting a job? Yes, it's bullcrap, but I wont feel bad because I knew that I needed a High-Score to even be in with a chance, I busted my hole for it and did it, simple as. Me getting the call has nothing to do with 50/50, because I worked hard for five years getting knocked back in each and every interview, I kept going and I believe that anybody can achieve this dream. Never, ever give up, on anything whether it's chasing after that special bird or going for the police.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I read in the Times/Indo that the last intake into Templemoore had an unusually high number of Sons, Daughters, Nieces and Nephews of serving members
    Interesting. You wouldn't still have a link for that would you?

psni wrote: »
    Interesting. You wouldn't still have a link for that would you?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/garda-hopefuls-look-to-join-psni-14816433.html

Hope this works.

Yes 50/50 is unfair when one side has many more applicants than the other. In an ideal world people should only be judged by merit, regardless of religion. But this isn't an ideal world and I wont let an unfair system stop me from trying.

I will not judge anyone who has gotten into the police through that system when they might not have if it was conducted any other way. Believe me if I had a lucky break at getting in I would jump at it.

It is an individuals actions in the police that is important. I'm sure there are one or two who have flown through that has turned out to be not all that good, while ones who just squeezed through have turned out to be the best asset the PSNI has ever aquired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ElizaB

Quote from the Belfast Telegraph link above - "The PSNI does not have such a limit (age) and decides on recruits on the basis of ability and fitness as opposed to age."

How factually incorrect is this? There is no fitness test (and there really needs to be one), and it could hardly be said that the decision is based on ability! More like which box you tick!

Goonerdee wrote: »

Thanks, I was pulling my hair out looking for that link.

Throughout the whole process I was treated with nothing but professionalism and integrity. The outsourcing of the initial stages was foreign to me, having applied for the Guards numerous times,if you think people not showing up on the right days is bad with the AC and IST, apply for the Guards then tell me that it's not fair open and efficient, if you have applied for the Guards you'll know that if your going for an interview on the same day as a handy GAA/Rugby/Football/Tiddlewinks player, Son, Daughter, Nephew of a member then you might as-well turn around and go home, you could be Elliot Ness and you'd still miss it by two points, (this is in no way an attack on AGS, but asking are family members in the job is definitley a conflict of interest)

I read in the Times/Indo that the last intake into Templemoore had an unusually high number of Sons, Daughters, Nieces and Nephews of serving members, that is neither fair, open or transparent and reeks of crony-ism regardless of which way you look at it and I dont for one second believe that whole it's in your blood thing, it's not thats the greatest load of bollocks I've ever heard in my life, show me the scientific evidence and I'll get in line with that school of thought.

The way Deloitte handle there part cannot be faulted, they have been nothing but professional and courteous to me. Now when you leave Deloitte's nest, yes, the process moves at a slower pace, this is understandable but any dealings I had with the fine men and women in recruitment/vetting were much better then those I had with the people in the park (again my opinion)

In regards to 50/50, It's there/was there for a reason. However knowing that people who scored lower get the job ahead of you because of clearing vetting etc is not nice, but again, it's there for a reason. Thankfully with my scores, I was never going to need it. I brought my A Game and knocked the **** out of every test that was put in front of me. Simple as. Do I feel bad about those that scored higher not getting a job? Yes, it's bullcrap, but I wont feel bad because I knew that I needed a High-Score to even be in with a chance, I busted my hole for it and did it, simple as. Me getting the call has nothing to do with 50/50, because I worked hard for five years getting knocked back in each and every interview, I kept going and I believe that anybody can achieve this dream. Never, ever give up, on anything whether it's chasing after that special bird or going for the police.

Have to agree 100% with this.

My big regret about the PSNI recruitment process is that Deloitte don't do it all - I have found them to be professional , efficient and courteous at all times.
    Things do get ' murky ' once Vetting begins and the lack of information and updates is hard to take.
    50/50 is doubtless a major issue but at least we know that if the son or daughter of an ACPO-ranking officer can't pass the IST they will not get ' shepherded ' through.

I would like to see an interview stage if only to weed out the imbeciles who leave Garnerville on day 1 when they realise shift work is involved or P.E. is part of the curriculum :mad:

Delancey wrote: »
    I would like to see an interview stage if only to weed out the imbeciles who leave Garnerville on day 1 when they realise shift work is involved or P.E. is part of the curriculum :mad:

Oh my God!!! Are you seriously telling me there are people who DON'T realise that?? They must never have watched a cop show in their lives.

• Advertisement

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Oh my God!!! Are you seriously telling me there are people who DON'T realise that?? They must never have watched a cop show in their lives.

Reasons for leaving Garnerville early in training include : Not knowing they would have to work shifts , Not knowing they would have to carry a firearm , Thinking that uniform was optional , Not knowing that foot drill is part of training , Disappointment at learning membership of the PSNI does not confer an automatic right to tansfer to a U.S. force - the list goes on....

Don't forget these morons take a place in training thus denying others the chance :mad:

Advertisement