Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rumour Mill...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Delancey wrote: »
    Reasons for leaving Garnerville early in training include : Not knowing they would have to work shifts , Not knowing they would have to carry a firearm , Thinking that uniform was optional , Not knowing that foot drill is part of training , Disappointment at learning membership of the PSNI does not confer an automatic right to tansfer to a U.S. force - the list goes on....

Don't forget these morons take a place in training thus denying others the chance :mad:

Exactly, being top of the class didn't teach them to do a little research. Grrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Reasons for leaving Garnerville early in training include : Not knowing they would have to work shifts , Not knowing they would have to carry a firearm , Thinking that uniform was optional , Not knowing that foot drill is part of training , Disappointment at learning membership of the PSNI does not confer an automatic right to tansfer to a U.S. force - the list goes on....

Don't forget these morons take a place in training thus denying others the chance :mad:

Is it just me or was there not a section in the application form where you had to tick yes or no if you:-
    Were comfortable carrying a firearm
    Were comfortable working shift
    And other statements to that effect do people not read the application forms

Oh and by the by the mainland police force is only one of a few european police forces that is NOT routinely armed, France Spain Holland Germany all these forces are issued guns.

My first AS wasn't long after that poor officer was shot and killed and a few psni admin people were at my day, they said 40odd people left training stating "thats not what we signed up for!" holy jebus! Has history class not taught you anything just cause there is a ceasefire on and the RUC disbanded does not mean its any safer than before, in england the police may be a good safe career path but over here its almost a calling and its not easy.

Like my favourite motto "the only easy day was yesterday"

There's people i know from the prision service and RUC who still check under their car every damn morning. And the good thing is there is plenty of people out there and on this forum who are willing and able and up to the task, just give us a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Yep, willing and able.......and at times desparate to do the job.

Even if it was only one day a week, I'd love the chance.

I'd even do it for minimum wage (current officers are probably cursing me for suggesting such a thing lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

There should be some form of intelligence test when you get the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ElizaB

I think the written tests are meant to test intelligence. I think it is common sense that is lacking in a lot of people, and an interview would stand a chance of weeding those people out! Even a telephone interview might help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

ElizaB wrote: »
    I think the written tests are meant to test intelligence. I think it is common sense that is lacking in a lot of people, and an interview would stand a chance of weeding those people out! Even a telephone interview might help!

Have to agree with you there - was surprised when I initially found out there was no real face to face interview given the nature of the role - makes me sick to think of people being given places and then jacking it in stating - not what I signed up for - Well what did you sign up for

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Saw this story this morning and albeit a week old, I would say many have not seen it yet like myself.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/cash_is_a_triumph_of_reality_over_wishful_thinking_1_2430800

The quote I would like to point out in it is:
    Patten recommended an establishment of 7,500 for a fully peaceful scenario and that is not what we have. We have fewer than 7,000 officers and over the next few months will recruit around 200, well short of what we need

Hopefully this is true for more boardies...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I take it that the reference to 200 new officers are the people who have been recruited so far in c16?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

fefe5 wrote: »
    Saw this story this morning and albeit a week old, I would say many have not seen it yet like myself.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/cash_is_a_triumph_of_reality_over_wishful_thinking_1_2430800

The quote I would like to point out in it is:

Hopefully this is true for more boardies...:rolleyes:

The answer to the security situation will not be solved by an extra 10,000 officers! Would be great to have more officers but the answer to this is political.

To anyone waiting for the next recruitment, I would not hold my breath, its not looking good on that front from the inside.:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    To anyone waiting for the next recruitment, I would not hold my breath, its not looking good on that front from the inside.:

What have you heard?

If there was no renewed recruitment that might mean they use the list they already have. Wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Gee-22 wrote: »
    What have you heard?

If there was no renewed recruitment that might mean they use the list they already have. Wishful thinking.

Won't hold my breath but I like you line of thinking

well folks hows the nerves holdin up, called appointments and finally got the answer i was lookin for my merit pool placement 490-500 NRC. Still no vetting forms and don't expect them as the woman on the phone said they have been advised that march is the last intake and chances are we'll have to reapply.

Also i have it from a reliable source that deloitte WILL NOT be doin the next campaign BUT 50/50 will be running for the next 5 years so as for the pool of successful candidates waiting vetting or placement their advancement in recruitment is shady to say the least, but will be talking to them again today so keep your eyes on this space as i will be posting updates there shortly.

weepete wrote: »
    well folks hows the nerves holdin up, called appointments and finally got the answer i was lookin for my merit pool placement 490-500 NRC. Still no vetting forms and don't expect them as the woman on the phone said they have been advised that march is the last intake and chances are we'll have to reapply.

Also i have it from a reliable source that deloitte WILL NOT be doin the next campaign BUT 50/50 will be running for the next 5 years so as for the pool of successful candidates waiting vetting or placement their advancement in recruitment is shady to say the least, but will be talking to them again today so keep your eyes on this space as i will be posting updates there shortly.

Few things there pete that will fairly put the cat amoungst the pigeons! No deloitte - and most of us saying how good they have been
    5 years of 50:50 - and others are saying its over, plus 5 more years is a lot, can see a lot of fuss being kicked up by NRCs, politicians etc if this one is true...
    and as you say, it is a very grey area for people in the pool at the moment.

Will be intrested to see what else you find out from your source... keep digging, I know there are plenty here who will want the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

If 50:50 continues there is no reason they can't keep using the same pool......

wanadrum wrote: »

My fingers and toes and legs are crossed thats the situation.

I would tend to agree, meaning it could still work out well for the NRCs that are currently in the pool too!

thats a very good point my friend, that is until the ones form the next campaign come through with higher merit scores than us and if its not based on the same practice as the last campaigns you have the problem of people giving off saying the new or the old process was easier/harder. So my only hope is that my source is either wrong or their right and deliotte just haven't got the call to do the next campaign, as they don't work in that section anymore.

but fingers crossed all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Very good point to make.

I'd hate to see Deloitte out of the process as their part in it runs so smoothly , worth remembering that Patten recommended the outsourcing of the recruitment process so I would be surprised if that changed , though I guess anything is possible.

Well I would maybe be happier getting another application in and try to get a better score - I don't think they will reach me on the list even if they do continue using it.

Delancy - yes I suppose it runs smoothly, but the whole process takes far too long and is lacking in some fundamental areas in my opinion.

I can't see recruitment being completely internal to PSNI.

Well I would maybe be happier getting another application in and try to get a better score - I don't think they will reach me on the list even if they do continue using it.

Delancy - yes I suppose it runs smoothly, but the whole process takes far too long and is lacking in some fundamental areas in my opinion.

I can't see recruitment being completely internal to PSNI.

TBH i dont think the Deloitte side of the process takes too long, considering the large number of applications they proccess and test.

• Advertisement

I still think it is too long Gee - did someone not say that Patten recommended the whole process should not be longer than 6 months? I know there are a lot of candidates but surely it couls be done quicker.

I still think it is too long Gee - did someone not say that Patten recommended the whole process should not be longer than 6 months? I know there are a lot of candidates but surely it couls be done quicker.

That would have been me :D
    It was a Patten recommendation that the process was under 6months... dont think even the first applicant gets in within 6months at moment :rolleyes:

From what i've seen on here the longest bit can be vetting, in my humble opion when you apply you should fill out vetting forms, (I know i know i'm being ridiculous, but bear with me.) and when you submit your application, they run your name through the crminal records database, like the cops do when they pull you over for an obscured number plate, and if anything flags up thats a few out of the running even for the IST, and then maybe take vetting to the next stage, like me for example i can provide bank statements for the last 7 years which will staisfy the vetting staff as to my home addresses for the last 7 years thats one less hurdle instead of sending out confirmantion requests and waiting for then to come back.

I personally can't fault deloitte thts why i hope they do stay in the game, but when it gets the the admin staff at the PSNI!!!! its time to pull the hair out

I think the ACs only finished about 6 months after the opening for applications - does my memory serve me correctly?

Patten recommended that it should take 6 months and Deloitte takes about 6 months :D, the delay is with PSNI recruitment.

If Patten thought a process like this could be finished in 6 months he needed his head looked at. I think the time scale is ok (of course we all wish it took a few months but thats not practical). The only bit that can hold it up is vetting sometimes.

Well Deloitte aren't leaving PSNI much time then.........

Well Deloitte aren't leaving PSNI much time then.........

Patten didnt leave the PSNI much time.....

Either way - the whole process os far too long.

We can all agree on that, but its not an average job application.

If Deloitte could save time, it would be the time it takes to start IST after the application closing date.

• Advertisement

Gee-22 wrote: »
    We can all agree on that, but its not an average job application.

If Deloitte could save time, it would be the time it takes to start IST after the application closing date.

I got my call to the IST not long after i applied and had the IST only about 2 weeks after application then of course you have to wait till all the IST's are done before the pass mark is calculated and you know if your in then the AC's are scheduled and then you wait till they are all done before you know if your through that or not.

Advertisement