Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rumour Mill...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

There are no October intakes but there is a Nov one

Keep up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I recall a letter from Deloitte, pre-freeze saying that they hoped that this would end 50-50 after thuis campaign and they hoped they would fill these places between Oct and Mar. Maybe this is now the case again.

With my score it wont be enough to get in if there are only 5 intakes. I would need the full 10 or so to have a chance.

1986j wrote: »
    I recall a letter from Deloitte, pre-freeze saying that they hoped that this would end 50-50 after thuis campaign and they hoped they would fill these places between Oct and Mar. Maybe this is now the case again.

With my score it wont be enough to get in if there are only 5 intakes. I would need the full 10 or so to have a chance.

What was your score? (roughly)

If there were 5 intakes, how far down the merit list would that go for a NRC? I understand its impossible to say for sure, but does anyone want to have an educated guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

only safe bet would be 50/50 so if the intake was 400 any merit of sub 200 your safe either way but that atm wouldnt matter as there is vetting failures/ongoing , medical failures/going that might not even clear before end of the year when the next few intakes are planned, also previous campaigns of people applying and getting through from c15 so many factors

• Advertisement

Gee-22 wrote: »
    What was your score? (roughly)

52, 700-720 on merit list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

delancey42 wrote: »
    If the above is accurate I would guess it would be a November intake followed by an intake in January, February and March - which nicely brings 50/50 to an end ( and quite possibly P.S.N.I. recruitment for the forseeable future ).

Pretty much the same as i heard, though I was thinking for the sake of continuity would it not be more feesable to have an intake after the Christmas hols rather than one say at the end of November (which it would be at the earliest now) and then have to have a (short) prolonged break over Christmas?
    I suppose like everything else with this particular campaign nobody knows and until someone hears something concrete we're all still in the dark about whats happening, which I'm just as frustrated about as i'm sure the rest of you are, just have to keep plugging away in our day to day lives with our fingers crossed that the withheld number might just flash up on our phones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

As I see it an intake in late November would do their 4 weeks residential and then break for Christmas , upon returning to GV they would have freed up space for the January intake - pure conjecture of course.

Then that would mean calls going out in the next 10 days in order to give people the full 4 weeks notice period. I did hear back in Sept that there would be a further 4 intakes, and now we're nearing the end of October, the money men should have a better idea about budgets and how much they have to play with, so maybe we'll have some positive news.............on the other hand we might hear nothing and go back to waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Heard over the weekend that the next intake is December, but Matt Baggott wasn't the one who told me, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

1986j wrote: »
    52, 700-720 on merit list.

NRC or RC?

RC

As an RC you 're still in with a good chance , have you got vetting forms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Hi folks, quick question are the PSNI contractually obliged to run recruitment campaigns through Deloitte? The reason I ask is would the PSNI organize a campaign as per the contract with Deloitte, even if they can't or won't be hiring people for a set period of time?

ie So we are going to be paying Deloitte anyway, may as well get a massive pool of suitable candidates out of them before we can tear up the contract, then we wont need another campaign for ages as we will have such a massive number of people waiting on vetting/medicals?

IMO no recruitment for 5 years sounds very long, given the amount of people who will leave the PSNI over those years through retirements and/or other reasons. No recruitment for 5 years would leave the PSNI needing a massive recruitment campaign at the end of the 5 years, but thats just my 2 cents worth:D

Got them 2 days after I sat the AC, sent away and all and medical was a pass also. Done it 1st week in Aug.

To my knowledge the contract with Deloitte applies when there is recruitment happening - I think it highly unlikely they would run campaigns knowing that there would be nil recruitment happening.

Although 5 years without a campaign seems very long I have to say I would not be surprised given the state of the public finances.
    As I've mentioned previously The Met has drastically cut back recruitment and may yet freeze it - remember this is a huge force with a relatively high turnover , the Olympics in 2012 and London being a prime target for Al Queda attacks.
    Virtually all the other forces in England and Wales have frozen recruitment.
    The P.S.N.I. will surely be impacted at some point ?

Since Patten , the P.S.N.I. has operated a severance scheme which thousands of officers have availed of and I suspect that this coupled with heavy recruitment has lowered the age profile considerably compared to the R.U.C. - this may have the result of far fewer retirements in the next 3-5 years than might otherwise have been the case and thus reducing the need for ongoing recruitment.
    Someone posted they heard there would be a new campaign in 2011 , maybe there will be and if so the competition will be fierce given that there is virtually no Police recruitment across the water and the Garda are still frozen ( despite Irish Government promises to recruit this year ).

I suspect the fact that the P.S.N.I. has yet to hit it's Patten target of 30% RC representation may , at least partially , be why it seems there may be several more intakes in the next few months.

Thats what does my head in.

Im well over one and a half times further up the list, with an AC score of 57 and i have not even received vetting forms.

Not a wonder this is my 8th campaign, with the odds stacked against me like that. :mad:

Rant over, just very frustrated at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Thats what does my head in.

Im well over one and a half times further up the list, with an AC score of 57 and i have not even received vetting forms.

Not a wonder this is my 8th campaign, with the odds stacked against me like that. :mad:

Rant over, just very frustrated at the minute.

8th campaign? this is my second and i'm well frustrated, fair play to you G

Major respect for keeping at it and it not being dissuaded Gee.

From the BBC Website - offers some encouragement as regards the future financial state of the P.S.N.I.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11568913

Mod note - The article refers to Police shift patterns , please do not discuss same on thread.

• Advertisement

From the BBC Website - offers some encouragement as regards the future financial state of the P.S.N.I.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11568913

Mod note - The article refers to Police shift patterns , please do not discuss same on thread.

Government sympathetic???? that can't be right :P

"The money would be used to improve the technology available for countering terrorism, to increase the amount of air support, and to recruit additional officers for close protection duties and guarding police stations"

Would be very nice if it were to be true, especially the recruitment bit!!
    Interesting though this whole "5 years" business... 5 years is being banded about alot at the minute (rumours of no recruitment for 5 years etc etc) now 5 years is all over that article, where is this number coming from lol?!

I honestly think the PSNI's budget will get off more lightly than others when it all comes out, but I can't see them getting extra money somehow, doesn't seem to make sense in the grand ol' budget scheme of things regardless of the situation here at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Government sympathetic???? that can't be right :P
    I honestly think the PSNI's budget will get off more lightly than others when it all comes out, but I can't see them getting extra money somehow, doesn't seem to make sense in the grand ol' budget scheme of things regardless of the situation here at the minute.

From what I know of the riots this summer the PSNI requested X amount of extra money to help fund the overtime for officers etc and they got it. It seems to me that the article means if situations arise above normal policing then PSNI are asking that extra money be made available again outside of their normal budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That type of extraordinary funding was agreed in the devolution agreement as far as I remember correctly.

Aah so somewhat like a bit of a compromise? Like "ok your budget is being cut by £XX amount but there's a bit of money here if the sh*t hits the fan"
    Makes sense I suppose, they would have to have something to fall back on if it really really was needed and the budgets just didn't cover it given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Aah so somewhat like a bit of a compromise? Like "ok your budget is being cut by £XX amount but there's a bit of money here if the sh*t hits the fan"
    Makes sense I suppose, they would have to have something to fall back on if it really really was needed and the budgets just didn't cover it given the circumstances.

Last week David Cameron said he would co-operate with the Assembly fully on Justice and Policing issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JP84

heard from a pretty reliable source yesterday that they are starting 16 new recruits in oct and that is it for the forseeable. a freeze of 4 years was also mentioned! rage!!
    but then why are people on here still getting offers of medicals etc????
    it just doesn't make sense! Wish we just knew either way to settle our heads!

I think the 4 years figure is being thrown about because thats the period that the government spending review is to cover. I wouldnt pay too much attention to the 16 recruits thing S i don't really think it would be economically viable to have gville open, staffed and running for just 16 recruits. It'll be clearer tomorrow once the spending review conclusions are announced. Just have to bethankful weve got this far and are still in with a chance as frustrating as the state of flux may be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

JP84 wrote: »
    heard from a pretty reliable source yesterday that they are starting 16 new recruits in oct and that is it for the forseeable. a freeze of 4 years was also mentioned! rage!!

I was told by a girl from appointments that '50 or so' would be starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭hotel glo

JP84 wrote: »

100% not true, there are about 3 times that starting in october.

And there will be 4 more intakes before april / may , the budgets in place for them

• Advertisement

hotel glo wrote: »
    100% not true, there are about 3 times that starting in october.

And there will be 4 more intakes before april / may , the budgets in place for them

Heard pretty much the same thing myself, but with the way this campaigns been all over the place with being uncertain, the only way anyone is going to find out, is when there is an announcement or people start getting 'the call'

Advertisement