Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rumour Mill...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's also a very cost effective way of running the service. These are experienced people. To train one person to the level of someone who is still in the FTR costs upwards of £50k before they become productive. I personally think there's more to it than politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

psni wrote: »
    It's also a very cost effective way of running the service. These are experienced people. To train one person to the level of someone who is still in the FTR costs upwards of £50k before they become productive. I personally think there's more to it than politics.

Experience means nothing if you have no interest in the job!

I don't want get into the whole FTR thing again I have made my feelings and experience with them know but in my opinion it is totally political.

You say it costs £50k to train a recruit before they become productive! The FTR do not do any files or take on any work so where is the productivity there?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    Experience means nothing if you have no interest in the job!

I don't want get into the whole FTR thing again I have made my feelings and experience with them know but in my opinion it is totally political.

You say it costs £50k to train a recruit before they become productive! The FTR do not do any files or take on any work so where is the productivity there?

i personally would have no interest if i had been working for an organisation who was turfing me out on my ear after putting my life on the life for XYZ years for them (never mind the will we/wont we that has been going on for years on their final finishing date)

beca wrote: »
    i personally would have no interest if i had been working for an organisation who was turfing me out on my ear after putting my life on the life for XYZ years for them (never mind the will we/wont we that has been going on for years on their final finishing date)

Hold on! The FTR are on 3 year contracts and most have made careers out of the job and done very well.

They have had every opportunity to apply for full time during the RUC and the PSNI, I have listened to one of them complain recently about how bad they have been treated and this individual has never even tried for full time!

Dead weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-northern-ireland-11921731

Now, another 1000 recruited for the frontline... That would be nice IF it actually happened!!! We can but dream...

• Advertisement

Dont know about you guys but I have been keeping a bit of an eye on the budget stuff today while I could in work... Got this quote from the BBC site:
    "Mr Wilson says the policing and justice budget will be ring-fenced and the new police and fire training facilities will still go ahead."

Its intresting to think the new training centre will go ahead, might add a bit of fuel to the fire that recuitment will continue on in the next few years, even if it is at a slower rate. Fingers crossed it is indeed a good sign.

If you want to read for yourselves:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/9289744.stm
    And the quote I took was from the time 1227.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

fefe5 wrote: »
    Dont know about you guys but I have been keeping a bit of an eye on the budget stuff today while I could in work... Got this quote from the BBC site:
    "Mr Wilson says the policing and justice budget will be ring-fenced and the new police and fire training facilities will still go ahead."

Its intresting to think the new training centre will go ahead, might add a bit of fuel to the fire that recuitment will continue on in the next few years, even if it is at a slower rate. Fingers crossed it is indeed a good sign.

If you want to read for yourselves:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/9289744.stm
    And the quote I took was from the time 1227.

I reckon we can only take it as a good sign.

Doubt they will spend all that money on a new training centre if they plan to freeze recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I wonder if like previous years all those whom they have told to 'hang tight' will get the call even if 50-50 recruitment has ended.

Cant help but worry that I may get a letter saying 'Thanks but no thanks'

1986j wrote: »
    I wonder if like previous years all those whom they have told to 'hang tight' will get the call even if 50-50 recruitment has ended.

Cant help but worry that I may get a letter saying 'Thanks but no thanks'

That's a good point.

Did you get a march letter?

But tbh I think 50/50 will be extended for at least another year.

I got the letter saying "passing to final stages which may include medical and vetting" though low merit score.

Maybe the next recruitment intake will be solely based on performance and they will appoint from this campaign those who meet 50-50 criteria.

Hard to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    Hold on! The FTR are on 3 year contracts and most have made careers out of the job and done very well.

They have had every opportunity to apply for full time during the RUC and the PSNI, I have listened to one of them complain recently about how bad they have been treated and this individual has never even tried for full time!

Dead weight!

Rubbish. Many could not apply to the regulars due to height and eyesight restrictions. They have been treated badly by the organization and many can't make any plans for the future as they don't know whether or not they'll be put out on the scrap heap. Maybe you should try listening to our FTR colleagues instead of going on the internet and slagging them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Word from the inside; not telling you where for security reasons but it has something to do with the internal computer system at G'Ville;

March is the last intake. When that course finishes, the place is closing up shop in preparation for the Cookstown joint training centre, which is now going ahead.

If anyone wishes to move this to the 'Rumour Mill' section, go ahead, but I thought that many people will see this as highly important info, and it's a little more solid than an 'I heard that...' post.

notbrazil wrote: »
    Rubbish. Many could not apply to the regulars due to height and eyesight restrictions. They have been treated badly by the organization and many can't make any plans for the future as they don't know whether or not they'll be put out on the scrap heap. Maybe you should try listening to our FTR colleagues instead of going on the internet and slagging them off.

You obviously do not work with any of them!

No height restricitions in the PSNI notbrazil.

I do listen to them. The problem is its from the station when you are trying to get them out of it and away from the tv and cups of tea.

notbrazil wrote: »
    Word from the inside; not telling you where for security reasons but it has something to do with the internal computer system at G'Ville;

March is the last intake. When that course finishes, the place is closing up shop in preparation for the Cookstown joint training centre, which is now going ahead.

If anyone wishes to move this to the 'Rumour Mill' section, go ahead, but I thought that many people will see this as highly important info, and it's a little more solid than an 'I heard that...' post.

I hope they do a few more intakes and I get in. Very very frustrating. 2 months into a new job and all I want is the PSNI job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has heard of when the call for the next intake will be going out? Got a missed call (blocked number) today and I'm always hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

What exactly are these ''renovations'' that are going on, according to another post, and why are they bothering pumping money into garnerville if they are now to cease recruitment until the new desertcreat college will be open (2-3 years) ?? according to a previous post...

0607 wrote: »
    What exactly are these ''renovations'' that are going on, according to another post, and why are they bothering pumping money into garnerville if they are now to cease recruitment until the new desertcreat colleage will be open (2-3 years) ?? according to a previous post...

I totally agree with you, I would like to know why they are spending more money too if as people are saying March is the last intake to Hotel G'ville.
    The new facility looks extremely fancy too - looks like it will cost more than a pretty penny - must be expecting that they will get a lot of use out of it for training! http://www.perkinswill.com/work/desertcreat-college-and-training-facility.html

FootyFan24 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has heard of when the call for the next intake will be going out? Got a missed call (blocked number) today and I'm always hoping!

The general opinion seems to be that IF calls go out for a Feb intake, they will go out next week.

Won't affect me, vetting was only sent away in November. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ItShouldBeMe

Gee-22 wrote: »
    The general opinion seems to be that IF calls go out for a Feb intake, they will go out next week.

Won't affect me, vetting was only sent away in November. :mad:

I know how you feel Gee, i sent mine away at start of July and last time i checked mid december it hadnt cleared.. ive decided not to contact them to enquire anymore as i feel im chasing a lost cause!

Don't know what way to take the news of the new training facility going ahead. On one side its good to see investment going into a new recruitment centre, but the fact that they are spending money on new buildings when this campaign was under threat due to funding isn't pleasant reading for any current applicant.

Also, where was the post about the revamping of G'Ville? was this just a rumour or is it from a reliable source?

Hopefully we get another few squads through the hotel during the first half of the year!:)

I also got an 'unknown' number in work today. Nearly shat and jumped up immediately to answer. Was a trampy debt consolidation company cold calling.

• Advertisement

I know how you feel Gee, i sent mine away at start of July and last time i checked mid december it hadnt cleared.. ive decided not to contact them to enquire anymore as i feel im chasing a lost cause!

Snap, I sent mine away end of June and last checked at the end of November and it was "ongoing". Kind of given up on it! I didn't think there was anything in it that would slow it up too much but obviously there might have been:(

With the bad weather and all the bank holidays recently I cant imagine that vetting will have got through too much over december either.

My merit is in the top 80, so there is still a small hope of making a call if vetting clears but tough just sitting here and not even knowing if there is any chance of it clearing in the next couple of months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

1986j wrote: »
    I also got an 'unknown' number in work today. Nearly shat and jumped up immediately to answer. Was a trampy debt consolidation company cold calling.

Everyone gets these stupid telesales calls offering everything from mobile broadband to double glazing - some of them even come from charities looking for money , most inconsiderate of them giving decents folks heart failure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

delancey42 wrote: »
    Everyone gets these stupid telesales calls offering everything from mobile broadband to double glazing - some of them even come from charities looking for money , most inconsiderate of them giving decents folks heart failure :D

While I agree that cold calling can be a pain in the ass, I feel I should stick up for marketing to a degree. I have managed to cut my debt, Win a holiday to Nigeria and enlarge parts of my body - Thanks Hotmail!! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 recruit2010

0607 wrote: »
    What exactly are these ''renovations'' that are going on, according to another post, and why are they bothering pumping money into garnerville if they are now to cease recruitment until the new desertcreat college will be open (2-3 years) ?? according to a previous post...

guys i can confirm they are doing renovations in GV.
    main reason behind is it is in state of poor repair and with at least one more squad starting soon and prob a feb one to they need rooms sorted.
    also cons stay to do training etc and they will be moving other facilities down to GV. dont know if im able to say anymore if i can PSNI or Delancey will say and ill elaborate.

on another note good luck to the new squad coming in and dont worry we'll tell you as many lies as we can think of and try and scare you but you'll love it, we all do!!!
    the weeks fly in. see you guys shortly.
    dont forget to bring money as your allowance wont cover your food. a few pound a day would sufice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks for the info and those tips recruit.

Moderator Note - I think it best we cease discussion of renovations or any kind of construction work at Garnerville ( or indeed any P.S.N.I. facility for that matter ) , such works may have security implications , thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

guys i can confirm they are doing renovations in GV.
    main reason behind is it is in state of poor repair and with at least one more squad starting soon and prob a feb one to they need rooms sorted.
    also cons stay to do training etc and they will be moving other facilities down to GV. dont know if im able to say anymore if i can PSNI or Delancey will say and ill elaborate.

Its been like that for many years though. And thousands have slept in the rooms before you, in the poor state they're in. So they certainly arnt just fixing the place up for the next batch of 50 or so people to stay for 4 weeks - thats all I was getting at, they must have something planned for the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

Hi guys, had a chat with external appointments earlier, word from them is last intake shall be March, following that we will have to wait for next campaign, which is not even in the pipeline. I had a moderately decent merit this time too, would make you loose heart! Ah well if it happens it happens - I am vetting passed and medical passed so fingers crossed I guess!

SJAG wrote: »
    Hi guys, had a chat with external appointments earlier, word from them is last intake shall be March, following that we will have to wait for next campaign, which is not even in the pipeline. I had a moderately decent merit this time too, would make you loose heart! Ah well if it happens it happens - I am vetting passed and medical passed so fingers crossed I guess!

This is gutting :( That means my merit number <75 means next to nothing because my vetting is taking an age:mad: and still is not cleared. To not get in and not even know when I can apply again sucks. Even if I do apply again, gettin a merit number like that is unlikely and I'll have to wait another few years at least.

Why would they spend the time and cost, doing vetting and medicals for us if there will be no more intakes from C16?

Is it not the case - at this point they do not have any planned intakes after March, but with a budget being set in March and if all goes to plan with that, they will start intakes after March?

(I like to think the glass is half full, because I could'nt take a 9th campaign. :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Why would they spend the time and cost, doing vetting and medicals for us if there will be no more intakes from C16?

Is it not the case - at this point they do not have any planned intakes after March, but with a budget being set in March and if all goes to plan with that, they will start intakes after March?

(I like to think the glass is half full, because I could'nt take a 9th campaign. :()

I guess all we can do is remain positive horse!! as hard as that is...remain positive.

Advertisement