Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rumour Mill...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bigjimmy

Hi can any one shed any light on this... I have recently read that since 2001, any RC that made the final pool received a start date..if this is the case, will this campaign be any different, providing their vetting has cleared and every thing else is in order???

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

bigjimmy wrote: »
    Hi can any one shed any light on this... I have recently read that since 2001, any RC that made the final pool received a start date..if this is the case, will this campaign be any different, providing their vetting has cleared and every thing else is in order???

Who knows my man, I think it's all in the hands of the universe at this stage, I cant honestly see how vetting takes so long to clear for all those who have small families and one adress, no convictions, go to church, say the prayers and eat their vitamins...it's one of the many wonders and causes much philosophical debate within my family.

I'm sure that if you are an RC you have an awfully better chance then a non-rc but with the way the recent intakes have been filled, it looks like those with a quick vetting result get the nod...I just wonder why it takes so long for some and is so quick for some...

F M L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bigjimmy

I agree...From what I gather, I don't think anyone can go by the original "merit list" as even if people have a good rating, they can still fail their medical/vetting and then there is the religion lottery as well.
    For the folk that's passed vetting, you'd think they could tell you if you are getting a place or not, either in the Feb or Mar intake...pull up a seat eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Someone said on here that they had cleared everything but had still been dear johned so unfortunatly not.
    As well as that I think that a lot of us will be disappointed because March will be the last intake and only half the places will be up for grabs this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Someone said on here that they had cleared everything but had still been dear johned so unfortunatly not.
    As well as that I think that a lot of us will be disappointed because March will be the last intake and only half the places will be up for grabs this time around.

They will surely use some of us C16'ers to fill future intakes. They used C15'ers to fill the November intake. I didnt hear of any C16'ers making that November intake.

They are not going to vet/medical us if they are not going to use us after March.

• Advertisement

Hopefully your right. Any theories on what you might think will happen in March?

Hopefully your right. Any theories on what you might think will happen in March?

In March I hope its confirmed that the PSNI budget is 'ring fenced'.

Meaning they will continue to recruit more C16'ers - as they have already spent the time and money on us.

I do however, think it might be a while until they start a new campaign. If there was going to be a 'C17', we would be hearing about it soon. A new campaign will cost money at a time when they will have to use the budget they have wisely. Plus there is still the whole 50/50 issue to sort out and I dont think that will be a quick decision :rolleyes:.

Just my theory on how it looks. I might be 100% wrong and a new campaign could be advertised next week.

But why spend the money on something they already have - a list of candidates who have gone through 90 - 100% of the recruitment process.

Good points, perhaps after march they might recruit from the pool on a merit only basis as they say that 50/50 will be complete then. who knows? Its the hardest job ive ever tried to get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have to say that I think the best news for those hoping for a Campaign 17 and continued recruitment after March would be the renewal for another year of 50/50.
    Ironic I know given that so many people dislike it but I believe it's continuation would be a positive sign for the future.

Other than that I think the ' number crunchers ' will decide the future of P.S.N.I. recruitment in the medium term , we can only hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Gee-22, I like your thinking. We'll surely find out about any new campaigns by next week, usually closing date a month later in Feb isn't it?

As for the budget thing, applying you thinking to the "wait till March" letter that sounds very possible. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this or even if its true. I did hear that the civilian side (Grafton) of policing is being wound up shortly. If this is true then would that mean more police would need to be recruited to cover the paper work load?

Not trying to get hopes up hear, just passing on what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

I have been thinking (i should do less), with the new stop point being branded as March..... along with the fact that 50:50 legislation ends in March... does anyone else envisage that the Deloitte system will totally come to an end and in house recruitment begin?

I had also thought that there may be a fear of 'discrimination' cases being brought, post March, because the legislation is not there anymore for the 'positive discrimination' which has formed part of Patton.

Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Whilst it is likely that 50:50 will end in March, it is not yet 100% confirmed and is yet another variable that is 'up in the air'. As for what happens after 50:50, it is hard to tell. I suppose it will depend on if it is more cost effective to run the IST and AC in house rather than by contracting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

although my understanding is that there was no discrimintion law change in NI therefore the Legislation which had been brought in to prevent legal challenges can/will expire, opening a can of worms?

In a way i hope the current campaign does not end as i feel a lack of motivation to endure another process/campaign!

Cant say I know much about the discrimintion law so will leave that one to someone with more knowledge than me on it...

Totally agree about C16 though, the thought of not getting in this time and having to apply and do all the IST, AC, vetting and medical all over again is a drain just to think about. Hopefully it wont come to C17 though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

It was a recommendation by the Patten commission that recruiting be contracted out to the private sector ( Deloitte won the business ). Patten did not specify this should only be while 50/50 was in place , my guess is that Deloitte involvement will continue into the future.

As for 50/50 ending I have a feeling that although it will end it may be replaced by a mechanism to ensure that RC representation is maintained , just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I doubt that recruiting will return to being in house - though I think it should.

I think they should continue to appoint from the current campaign as it will save money and also as it will give me a slight chance of getting in.

I think the fire service recruit occasionally and hold the pool of qualified candiatates for a few years. Why can't PSNI do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Would love to see that happen for obvious reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mal4893

Me too lol! But I guess we are hopping for a miracle there! But hey, if it takes the Police 9 months to work out if you are a good person with no criminal record there is a good chance anything could happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hopefull1

Hey guys, I havn't posted in a long time but after reading a lot of posts I just wanted to keep everyones hopes up about the intakes. I know a trainer in Garnaville and he/she told me that, as this is the last campaign he/she believes that they may 'milk' out as many intakes as they can as there is no further campaigns after March. So just because March is the end of the campaigns, does not necessarily mean it is the end of intakes from the last campaign.
    I have posted this in the Rumour Mill as it is obviously only what they have said but I do see them as a reliable source as they also told me that there was going to be, October and December intakes long before calls went out and when everyone thought the FREEZE was going to be in place.

Lets just keep Fingers crossed.....

Hopefull1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I havn't posted in a long time but after reading a lot of posts I just wanted to keep everyones hopes up about the intakes. I know a trainer in Garnaville and he/she told me that, as this is the last campaign he/she believes that they may 'milk' out as many intakes as they can as there is no further campaigns after March. So just because March is the end of the campaigns, does not necessarily mean it is the end of intakes from the last campaign.
    I have posted this in the Rumour Mill as it is obviously only what they have said but I do see them as a reliable source as they also told me that there was going to be, October and December intakes long before calls went out and when everyone thought the FREEZE was going to be in place.

Thats a rumour we would all like to believe, and I can see the sense behind it. Hope your source is right :p

• Advertisement

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

Hopefull1 wrote: »

well, it seems to sound right to me, i just cant understand why march would be the last intake if they spent money on so many of us to put us through medicals, some of us had to do the other fitness tests too and its not like its there for free! they were supposed to save the money to help the budget. if you spend money on something youre not gonna use to me it just seems a bit odd and kind of pointless. but we can never know whats going on in there..
    i wanted to pull all the possible strings and asked a mate of mine whos lucky enough to be in psni. he spoke to his coworkers and deputies but they have absolutely no idea whats about to happen..

Well we can but hope

Unfortunately in the public sector things rarely appear to be done by logic, they appear to love wasting money!

wanadrum wrote: »
    Unfortunately in the public sector things rarely appear to be done by logic, they appear to love wasting money!

Have to agree with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

yeah, me too.. its just so annoying that it seems so logic and easy to do to us but the people who really are responsible for it seem to be doing everything to make all that process as time consuming and hard as possible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

I spoke to external appointments and whilst they were very careful not to say anything reading between the lines I got the impression that March intake will be the last for a wee while anyway. Also know through a certain source that tutor units are being done away with too in some districts. :confused:

Found this:
    http://www.policeoracle.com/news/NI-Fed-Chair-‘Optimistic’-Over-Resources_30007.html?category=23

Not a lot of infomation in it, but thought it would let people know where the Federation is coming from.

Also found this! It is an FOI request about the 2009 campaign but was asked in 2010. I think it will answer a couple of peoples questions about what it likely to happen. Let just say, now I am totally depending on March I think :(

Question 14
    Is it possible for a candidate, who has scored well at the Assessment Centre phase, but whose medical or security vetting has been delayed, to be passed over in favour of another candidate who has perhaps not scored as well but whose medical and security vetting processes have been completed?

Answer
    The PSNI make offers of appointment to successful candidates under the merit principles and in line with the 50/50 arrangements. In the circumstances described, our practice has been to hold a place until the process is completed. However, as we approach the end of the 50/50 arrangements in March next year, and are predicting no recruitment in the year 2011/12, there will be no provision to carry forward appointments beyond this date. In this case, and as the PSNI must fulfil its legislative obligations under 50/50 to appoint the required numbers by the end of March, it is possible that candidates whose medical or vetting outcomes remain outstanding may be passed over in favour of the next appointable candidate on the order of merit. Every effort will be made to avoid this outcome but there can be no guarantee, because of the practicalities of the ending of the legislation.

The link to the document is:
    http://www.psni.police.uk/2009_recruit_campaign.pdf

• Advertisement

I was speaking to someone last night who told me that the PSNI have just been given some more money and will be recruiting again very soon - the same individual encouraged me not to give up!

If this person doesn't know the score - nobody does - a very very reliable source!

Advertisement