Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Commits Suicide at Swell Season Gig

Options
  • 20-08-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

Just read this in Hot Press.. Makes you think how lucky the guy at the Pearl Jam gig was only breaking an arm.
    Man commits suicide at Swell Season gig in California

20 Aug 2010

Eyewitnesses report him jumping from the roof & landing on stage.

There’s tragic news from Saratoga in California where a man committed suicide last night at a Swell Season gig.

According to eyewitnesses relayed to Hot Press, the concertgoer who’s yet to be named crashed through the lighting-rig landing just a foot away from Glen Hansard as he played.

Reports the San Jose Mercury newspaper: “At about 10 p.m., lead singer Glen Hansard had just finished a song and was bantering with the crowd, poking fun at a guitar player in his band when witnesses say a man suddenly jumped off the roof near the lighting rig.

“‘I saw him standing there on the edge of the roof, I thought it was a part of the act, and then he took off running and jumped, did a couple of flips and landed on the stage,’ said Kyle Rivers, who attended the concert with his wife. ‘It was pretty traumatic.’

“Witnesses said that after the man hit the stage, Hansard put down his guitar and walked over to the body while several others, including doctors in attendance, tried to revive him. Sheriff's authorities and paramedics later rushed the area while concertgoers were left shaken, many of them crying, witnesses said.

"’It was intense,’ Rivers said, ‘and pretty horrible.’”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Very sad news. Apparently Glen Hansard is already working on a charity single based off these harrowing events.

"Falling Quickly" should be in stores in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

"Falling Quickly" should be in stores in the next week or so.

Not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shouldn't laugh but I did :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

What a selfish, inconsiderate thing to do.

Also from the San Jose Mercury:
    The Mercury News reports that the suicide victim "was facing charges of assault with a firearm, domestic violence, and false imprisonment." Pickels was out on $150,000 bail, twice the normal amount, according to the Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

If he wasnt off his head and thought he could stage dive from the roof and he really did want to die, it was pretty inconsiderate to do so 'on stage'. He might have had fears of never being remembered, so found a way to be remembered and a way out all in one. Horrible story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

natsuko wrote: »
    If he wasnt off his head and thought he could stage dive from the roof and he really did want to die, it was pretty inconsiderate to do so 'on stage'. He might have had fears of never being remembered, so found a way to be remembered and a way out all in one. Horrible story.

what an inconsiderate prick alright.:rolleyes: Cheers for letting the world know what he was thinking. I'm pretty sure he'll be delighted that 6 people are talking about his death on boards.ie Mission accomplished.

You never know the amount of shi't people are going through and what pushes the the bearable to unbearable is a feathers weight at times. It is much better to keep your opinions on it to yourself. Because speculating about something and someone you have no idea about it makes you look like an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

lordgoat wrote: »
    what an inconsiderate prick alright.:rolleyes: Cheers for letting the world know what he was thinking. I'm pretty sure he'll be delighted that 6 people are talking about his death on boards.ie Mission accomplished.

You never know the amount of shi't people are going through and what pushes the the bearable to unbearable is a feathers weight at times. It is much better to keep your opinions on it to yourself. Because speculating about something and someone you have no idea about it makes you look like an arsehole.

And thank you for being so opinionated yourself in telling me, someone you know nothing about, that having an opinion on a situation, that whether or not i know anything about, makes me an arsehole. :) cheers.

Advertisement