Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel won't recognise .csv files properly

• 20-08-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have Excel 2008 on my Mac, and it won't open .csv files properly

If I save a spreadsheet as a .csv, it makes the separators semi-colons instead of commas. If I change the separators to commas in Text Editor and open it back up in Excel, it doesn't organise it in to cells but all stays in the A column again.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this?

Thanks very much, wrecking my head now at this stage!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey,

If I save a spreadsheet as a .csv, it makes the separators semi-colons instead of commas. If I change the separators to commas in Text Editor and open it back up in Excel, it doesn't organise it in to cells but all stays in the A column again.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this?

Thanks very much, wrecking my head now at this stage!

Are you setting it to comma delimited when it opens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Under the File Format option on Excel's Save As... box there are several CSV options: 'Comma Separated Values', 'Windows Comma Separated Values' and 'MS-DOS Separated Values' - which are you picking?

I've picked the first one (which is under "Common Formats" and it exported a csv file separated with commas and not semi-colons.

Do not load a CSV file into Excel the same way you would do an XLS file (i.e. via the File->Open menu). This gives you no options about how to import the data. Instead open a new workbook, and click in the import button on the toolbar. Go through the steps, say it's a CSV file, choose the CSV file, choose the delimiter on the next page, and then keep going or choose finish and it will import correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Cianos wrote: »

If I save a spreadsheet as a .csv, it makes the separators semi-colons instead of commas. If I change the separators to commas in Text Editor and open it back up in Excel, it doesn't organise it in to cells but all stays in the A column again. !

Don't Macs add extra info about file types into the files themselves? So I think that once you've edited & saved it in a text editor, it's no longer a CSV file as far as Macs are concerned - no matter what the file extension might say.

Have you a Windows machine with Excel that you can test the same process on?

P.S. What's wrong with semi-colons? What did they ever do to you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

There is a function in excel that will fix this.

Open the .csv with File->Open. Select all your data. Click 'Data' -> 'Text to Columns' on the menu bar. In the wizard that appears, select 'Delimited' then select what you want to split the columns, commas, semi-colons, spaces, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks very much for the replies to this, but unfortunately I still can't get it working :(
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    Are you setting it to comma delimited when it opens?

Yes when I import the saved .csv file that I edited in Text Editor, making sure that all separators are commas, I set it to comma delimited. The data is then organised correctly in the cells. When I save it in Excel as a .csv, then reopen in Text Editor, the commas are back to semi colons for some reason.
    Under the File Format option on Excel's Save As... box there are several CSV options: 'Comma Separated Values', 'Windows Comma Separated Values' and 'MS-DOS Separated Values' - which are you picking?

I've picked the first one (which is under "Common Formats" and it exported a csv file separated with commas and not semi-colons

I'm picking the same one as you, the one under Common Formats.
    Do not load a CSV file into Excel the same way you would do an XLS file (i.e. via the File->Open menu). This gives you no options about how to import the data. Instead open a new workbook, and click in the import button on the toolbar. Go through the steps, say it's a CSV file, choose the CSV file, choose the delimiter on the next page, and then keep going or choose finish and it will import correctly

I tried this and it imported correctly, but it's when I save it again it replaces the commas with semi colons :confused:
    bhickey wrote: »
    Don't Macs add extra info about file types into the files themselves? So I think that once you've edited & saved it in a text editor, it's no longer a CSV file as far as Macs are concerned - no matter what the file extension might say.

Have you a Windows machine with Excel that you can test the same process on?

P.S. What's wrong with semi-colons? What did they ever do to you ;)

I'm going to try test it on a Windows machine but I need to get it working on the Mac as well! :)
    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    There is a function in excel that will fix this.

Open the .csv with File->Open. Select all your data. Click 'Data' -> 'Text to Columns' on the menu bar. In the wizard that appears, select 'Delimited' then select what you want to split the columns, commas, semi-colons, spaces, etc.

I tried this also but again it's when I save it back as a .csv it rejigs the separators.

Any help would be brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I think I've found the reason this is happening. It's explained here.
    On Mac OS X, I haven't been able to discover a way to specify a different list separator symbol. So I just opened the CSV file into TextEdit, chose Edit > Find > Find, and then searched for all semicolons and replaced them with commas. Of course you can also change your computer's region by going to Apple Menu > System Preferences, clicking on International, and then the Formats tab. Here you'll find the Region menu, where you can specify an English speaking region, which you'd probably want to avoid doing.

If anyone can suggest a better workaround rather than changing my regional settings I'd love to hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I know that with Windows the regional settings can change the type of list separators used. For example if the region/language is set to French then it uses semi colons instead of commas. To fix this you go to control panel and change the regional and language options to English.

Not sure if it could be the same for a Mac but it might be worth looking into?

Edit: Was typing this as you posted your reply above!

Advertisement