Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

viewing scripts

• 20-08-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hi,
    I repeated leaving cert irish this year. i was hoping for a c3 so i can do primary school teaching but got a d1 :(

Just wanted to know if theres any point in viewing my paper. do we get to see the % we got?? I dont feel that I deserved anything higher than a D but if i saw that i was 1 or 2 % below the C maybe i would get it rechecked.

also does anyone know what to write on the application to view scripts where it says 'packet reference'
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I was looking at the packet refernace last night and for me the only ones filled in are Biology and DCG I think. So just ignore that. But ask your school when handing it in just in case.

I really feel sorry for you reading that.

Definitely view it and definitely get it rechecked anyway. Your not going to lose anything, except th E40 but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

it does give the exact marks you got on the script. you'll be able to work out the percentage yourself.
    i'd say view your script. unless you done badly and wouldn't want to look at the paper again, view them. i viewed all my scripts last year just to see how i done exactly.
    i don't think it costs anything so what have ya to lose? :)

dunno about the second question though. sounds like something the school would fill in though. you just tick (or whatever) what subjects you want to view. name and address at the bottom and they'll send that back to ya when your scripts are in to view and what time you're appointed to. this is all going on last year iirc though so someone else should clarify. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

what does that packet preference thing mean?! anyone know when the marking schemes are out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ms.Forbes

R.M. wrote: »
    hi,
    I repeated leaving cert irish this year. i was hoping for a c3 so i can do primary school teaching but got a d1 :(

Just wanted to know if theres any point in viewing my paper. do we get to see the % we got?? I dont feel that I deserved anything higher than a D but if i saw that i was 1 or 2 % below the C maybe i would get it rechecked.

also does anyone know what to write on the application to view scripts where it says 'packet reference'
    thanks

Same thing happened to me last year

i was hoping for a C3 to do primary teaching

and i got a D3

I was shocked because got a B1 in the mocks!

so i viewed the script

it turned out some prick of an examiner didn't correct my essay at all!

0/100 was written down on the essay!

even if the essay was awful and you don't answer the question asked they still have to give you some marks surely even 30 marks would be better than nothing and could be the difference

amazingly i did all the calculations and the essay was the difference

i appealed it and nothing happened

it happened to 2 other girls in my class

their essays weren't corrected either

the examiner correcting these must of been having a laugh or something!

to think they can get away with this is sick

if they can't do their job properly they shouldn't be correcting the papers!

so i would say appeal because your examiner may have been having a laugh with you too!

i was pissed off because

to think that this **** is the reason that i didn't get a C3 .. hurts me

But yes of course that was last year

i repeated this year and got a C1

i almost had tears of joy

i'm so relieved

But if things don't work out you should repeat

but of course it is a bitch of an exam

and i wouldn't like to go through it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ms.Forbes wrote: »
    it turned out some prick of an examiner didn't correct my essay at all...
    i appealed it and nothing happened
    Let me get this clear, your essay wasn't corrected, you got it rechecked and the grade remained the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I see.

You did your LC last year, and got marked 0/100 for an Irish essay (which is not the same as "it wasn't corrected")

You repeated your LC this year.

You also studied medicine for a year last year, and dropped out.

Seems like you've been very busy indeed.

I suspect you're trolling: convince me otherwise or be banned from this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

obvious_troll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Yes you do get to see the exact percentage.
    I have to appeal some or else I wont get my course :( , its such a stupid system though
    -Your grade has to be undermarked by at least 8% for them to change it.
    So if your just 1% off of what you need you still need to get another 7% for them to be bothered to change it.
    -The appeal results don't come back till October 12th
    The stupidity of this I don't even have to explain.....

Stupid system!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Where did you get the 8% thing from? I got A2s in two subjects and I wanted to get them rechecked but I highly doubt I was undermarked by 8%. Surely that's not right.

Well im fairly sure its right, thats what my guidance councellor told me.
    I'd be delighted to be corrected on it though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If you read the booklet you got with your results you'll see that most certainly is not right. If you apply for a recheck the recheck examiner applies the marking scheme from scratch, and if this examiner ends up awarding you more marks than the original, enough to bring you up a grade, you will be upgraded. It's fairly straightforward.

There sure is an awful lot of urban myths about the Leaving!

I see.

You did your LC last year, and got marked 0/100 for an Irish essay (which is not the same as "it wasn't corrected")

You repeated your LC this year.

You also studied medicine for a year last year, and dropped out.

Seems like you've been very busy indeed.

I suspect you're trolling: convince me otherwise or be banned from this forum.

Yes have been busy my carreer decision was always either Medicine or Primary teaching

You can still do primary teaching in Ireland once you have a degree

but i had to repeat the Irish as we don't study Irish in England

Yes have been busy my carreer decision was always either Medicine or Primary teaching

and 0/100 is the same as it wasn't corrected thats why i got 0/100

on the 3 pages of an essay i wrote their were no ticks, corrections , nothing to indicate that it was corrected

hmm well I don't know about that, he should be right, he is on the appeals commitee so surely he would be right.
    I must have a look at that book now :L

on the 3 pages of an essay i wrote their were no ticks, corrections , nothing to indicate that it was corrected

The Irish teacher on the Countdown shows before the leaving said that 0/100 is given when the essay bares no relevance to the essay title printed on the exam paper. It must have been 'gan chiall'. It doesn't mean it wasn't corrected. The appeal examiner must have agreed with the original examiner's decision, it clearly wasn't a case of incompetence.

It's a bit late for you now, but there are actually options other than repeating LC Irish (and options more student-friendly for older students, imo) which are considered by the teacher training colleges as the equivalent for admissions purposes.

Fair enough, you may not be trolling, but please moderate your language and tone when posting in this forum.

dambarude wrote: »
    The Irish teacher on the Countdown shows before the leaving said that 0/100 is given when the essay bares no relevance to the essay title printed on the exam paper. It must have been 'gan chiall'. It doesn't mean it wasn't corrected. The appeal examiner must have agreed with the original examiner's decision, it clearly wasn't a case of incompetence.
    I'm afraid dambarude has the right of it, if 0/100 was written then a judgement *was* made, and obviously upheld by the appeals examiner.

Did you by any chance regurgitate a learned-by-rote essay?

It's a bit late for you now, but there are actually options other than repeating LC Irish (and options more student-friendly for older students, imo) which are considered by the teacher training colleges as the equivalent for admissions purposes.

Fair enough, you may not be trolling, but please moderate your language and tone when posting in this forum.

I'm afraid dambarude has the right of it, if 0/100 was written then a judgement *was* made, and obviously upheld by the appeals examiner.

Did you by any chance regurgitate a learned-by-rote essay?

yes i did regurgitate it and it worked in the mocks

my teacher even said once you show off your irish you'll get marks

and why are we even still talking about this when i'm now happy with my new result

yes i did regurgitate it and it worked in the mocks

my teacher even said once you show off your irish you'll get marks

The mocks aren't corrected to the same standard as the Leaving Cert. Showing of the Irish you can use on the topic asked will get you marks. Blathering on about something totally irrelevant won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

can you view your paper on your own or does someone have to be there with you? Will my teacher be there or do i have to get it organised for her to be there to check it with me?

muffinz wrote: »
    can you view your paper on your own or does someone have to be there with you? Will my teacher be there or do i have to get it organised for her to be there to check it with me?

You can view it on your own. You should contact your school re your teacher. There's a chance she/he'll be there for other students, but you should be sure of this.

• Advertisement

and why are we even still talking about this when i'm now happy with my new result
    1. Because you chose to have a rant about it, and if your post had been left unchallenged other users of this forum would have been left with the impression that it was common for large chunks of an exam paper to simply be left uncorrected. While it can very very rarely happen (e.g. if two pages stick together and the examiner doesn't notice) it is a very uncommon occurrence indeed.

2. For the benefit of those facing into LC who might learn from your mistake, and realise that throwing a learned-by-rote essay down on paper regardless of the actual essay titles is not a good idea. The mocks are often poorly corrected by comparison with the actual LC, the fact that it might have worked there says nothing, really.

That said, congratulations on achieving your desired result.

As a primary teacher, I hope you will encourage your students to actually know and understand the material rather than simply learning if off by rote! :)

muffinz wrote: »
    You can view it on your own, no-one *has* to be there.

It is often advisable to have an experienced teacher / examiner with you, though (doesn't have to be your own teacher).

In terms of your last question, it seems it varies from school to school. Some schools will organise it for you; in some cases it's left to you to contact the teacher. Contact your school and ask them what's the norm, if you would prefer to have your own teacher.

dambarude wrote: »
    The mocks aren't corrected to the same standard as the Leaving Cert. Showing of the Irish you can use on the topic asked will get you marks. Blathering on about something totally irrelevant won't.

o right..... so you saw my script did you??

i did show off my Irish

i didn't blather on about something totally irrelevant

But you seem to be blathering on now like a ****ing chipmunk

this conversation was over ages ago

who cares about it now

i have my C1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Grand, thanks for that, prob get my teacher to go with me to see it! im a bit weary though, i bet i wrote some stupid stuff for Geography like writing about Mezzogiorno instead of france or something, ill be red as a tomato by the end of it :P

But you seem to be blathering on now like a ****ing chipmunk
    Infracted for abuse of another poster.

You've been warned about your language and attitude just 5 posts above!

And while we may not have seen your paper, we were able to guess (correctly) the reason why you got 0/100, i.e. that you had simply regurgitated a rote-learned essay which the examiners recognised as such due to lack of relevance.

Think about that for a minute ...

Infracted for abuse of another poster.

You've been warned about your language and attitude just 5 posts above!

And while we may not have seen your paper, we were able to guess (correctly) the reason why you got 0/100, i.e. that you had simply regurgitated a rote-learned essay which the examiners recognised as such due to lack of relevance.

Think about that for a minute ...

I will not think about it!

Your missing the whole point

you fail to the understand that the essay that wasn't corrected was the same essay i learnt off this year

i just had to change it around a bit when I read the title

so no you didn't guess right at all

But i'm happy i have my new result which i got wednesday

it's laughable to think that your still persisting with this conversation

I will not think about it!
    Excellent attitude for a would-be teacher.
    Your missing the whole point

you fail to the understand that the essay that wasn't corrected was the same essay i learnt off this year
    And you got away with it this year, grand, you were lucky.
    i just had to change it around a bit when I read the title
    Maybe you did so a little better this time, or the examiner was more easy-going.
    so no you didn't guess right at all
    We didn't?
    yes i did regurgitate it
    Oh, wait, we did.
    It's laughable to think that your still persisting with this conversation
    Boards is not a forum for conversations, in the main, certainly this forum isn't.

It's a discussion forum. There's a difference. Just because *you* want the discussion to stop doesn't mean it will ... especially if you keep feeding it.

Excellent attitude for a would-be teacher.

And you got away with it this year, grand, you were lucky.

Maybe you did so a little better this time, or the examiner was more easy-going.

We didn't?

Oh, wait, we did.

Boards is not a forum for conversations, in the main, certainly this forum isn't.

It's a discussion forum. There's a difference. Just because *you* want the discussion to stop doesn't mean it will ... especially if you keep feeding it.

I knew you'd be arrogant enough to reply

you should really stop trying to cause trouble

Ha ha your attitude isn't too inspiring either the way your carrying on

it's bad to be too smart

so you'd want to think about that

I knew you'd be arrogant enough to reply

you should really stop trying to cause trouble

Ha ha your attitude isn't too inspiring either the way your carrying on

it's bad to be too smart

so you'd want to think about that
    I will leave it to the gentle readers to decide where the arrogance is here ...

... and spare them from more of it! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement