Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dürrenmatt's novels or 19th-C literature?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Anybody here who studied Dürrenmatt's detective novels (GER20080) or 19th Century German Literature (GER20110) ? :confused:

I'd like some help choosing between the two.. I'm pretty much useless at literature, so it would be nice to hear some opinions of those who did either of these modules.

A more specific question:
    Which authors/works are covered by the 19th Century literature? At least, at the time when you studied the module.

I get the impression from the module description that Dürrenmatt might be more manageable, since it's only one author, and the big essay that's due at the end of the Semester can be written at home with more time for preparing and writing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I did 19th Century last year,had to as German is one of my majors. I found it quite difficult and you have to be on the ball at all times.Even the slightest thing can prove the difference.

In regards to what you'll be doing,you will w

Heinrich von Kleist: Das Erdbeben in Chili / Die Verlobung von Santo Domingo. Stuttgart: Klett

Heinrich Heine: Deutschland. Ein Wintermärchen (1844). Stuttgart: Reclam

Annette von Droste-Hülshoff: Die Judenbuche (1842). München: dtv

The essay (30%) has to be well written or you will be forced to rewrite it and the highest you can get is a D. Final exam is straightforward if you know your stuff and dictionaries are allowed. My advice,get the biggest one you can fit through the RDS doors,trust me,you'll need it to do well,if not pass.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Some really good advice there, but by the looks of it I no longer have a choice....
    While I was running errands all day, Dürrenmatt got fully booked out.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Well then,its 19th Century for you then. I would say enjoy,but then I didn't that much. Remember..BIG DICTIONARY for the exam. :D

Advertisement