Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router power problem

• 20-08-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got a US D-Link DIR628 Wireless router along with a US adapter

The adapter input is 100-120v, 0.4A, 50-60Hz ,
    output is +5.0v 2.5A

The router input is the same as the adapter input (obvious probably)

What are my options in Dublin for getting an adapter for the US power adapter or getting a UK/Ireland adapter for a reasonable price?

I checked with Peats (told me to ring D-Link) and Maplins (told me they could get an adapter but it'd be €49 - More than the router cost).
    I checked eBay and can get an EU adapter from China for about €8. It's the correct output and I don't know the EU voltage but I think it's the same as here - 200-240v so it could be alright but will take an age to get to me.

I was hoping to just find the correct thing in a drawer at home or at work. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need a 120-220V Step Up transformer. These are normally available in low and higher power variants. You need one that can do 50W (120V * 0.4A).

Failing that, you need a new AC-DC adapter that can deliver 2.5A at 5V. Most of the cheap ones will only do a few hundred mA, so are useless.

It's probably going to work out more expensive than if you'd bought the router in Ireland (or EU).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

A different Maplins say they've got the adapter I need for €24 so not so bad but still something I rather not pay for a simple cable but anyhow - you live and learn - I'll import from the UK instead of the states next time. It never crossed my mind until I opened the box and it dawned on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You ought to be able to find something suitable here ...

http://stores.ebay.ie/power-adapters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

groom wrote: »
    A different Maplins say they've got the adapter I need for €24 so not so bad but still something I rather not pay for a simple cable

It's not a simple cable though, it's a transformer or new high current power supply. Neither of which comes cheap.

Advertisement