Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plant snapped in half,can it be saved?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My pride and joy snapped in the lovely weather this morning :mad:,it was top heavy and i was due to get it planted in the ground yesterday and all but with the summer rain i postponed it yesterday:o.

I`m talking a huge part of the plant full of blossoms too,can it start to take off it self maybe in water to begin rerooting etc or could i try plant it in the compost again.

It looks strong enough to do either but can it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Tomatoes are excellent at rooting but to be honest it sounds like that plant is underdeveloped for this time of year if you still only have blossoms on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Tomatoes are excellent at rooting but to be honest it sounds like that plant is underdeveloped for this time of year if you still only have blossoms on it??

It is a late starter alright,it didn`t look like it would take off at all at the start,then it started to flourish. 3 weeks or so after that it flew up and it`s just gone crazy since then,@2in in height every week most recently.

Nice to hear they are good at rerooting,just some good rich soil then would that do it?
    Plant.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Well I meant more that they will happily put out roots higher and higher if you bank earth up on them unlike some plants, but couldn't swear a cut piece like that is capable of rooting but i'd assume one lends more or less to the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The top half will die. Its not exactly like a plant cutting at that stage of its life. Your only hope is that you will get a side shoot from the alive bottom half that you can then train as your new plant head. I hope you got a good greenhouse to plant it in, getting late for out door tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it snapped off completely, or just bent over? It might be worth tying it up if if the stem isn't actually severed. Seems a bit late to be planting it out when it has got flowers on it anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks,yes it`s the top half,(the best of the plant) but there is some goodness in the bottom bit that is very healthy,just a shame.
    It`s been outdoors it`s entirety(@3mth now),no greenhouse!
    Ah i don`t grow much,mostly herbs,just was a pity to see it in that way.
    True,but i wasn`t expecting much fruit from it anyway,just it`s been flowering crazy the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Gregsor, my outdoor tomatoes will usually have finished producing new fruit by this time. The strong winds we had a week or so ago were hard on tomatoes and some of my branches broke, but there were tomatoes on them and they'll still ripen.

I grow tumbler tomatoes in large pots - they don't grow tall and they yield tons of small tomatoes. They're way easier to grow than taller varieties and you don't have to pinch out the side shoots, maybe you should try them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Gregsor, my tomato plants are full of fruit with only a few flowers left. But I am concerned that they won't ripen before the weather changes - I'd better get a good green tomato chutney recipe! My point is that I would doubt that you will get any fruit from your plant even if it does reroot well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

mags, I always take off whatever green tomatoes are left at the end of the season and they ripen in a bowl on the windowsill.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

mags, I always take off whatever green tomatoes are left at the end of the season and they ripen in a bowl on the windowsill.

Thanks Dizzy, I will. But I have not lost faith yet. Each morning I race out to see if there is a hint of red. I can feel it in my waters - this week is the week when they will ripen. Here's hoping!

Is there a patron saint of ripening tomatoes. If there is I'll do a novena to him!

• Advertisement

I appreciate all the the tips,thanks!
    Bottom half is flourishing now but it`s all in vain as it`ll be too late by the time it decides to fruit.
    I must get on to it earlier next year instead,lesson learnt.

Advertisement