Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight lost before ttc?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi all

Im very new to all this TTC business OH and I have just realised its our time (so exciting :D)

Ive cut out the booze and am eating healthly salads everyday making sure I get my 5 a day etc. But I was wondering how necessary is it to lose a few pounds? Im 5'6 and 11 stone (ouch writing it down makes me feel huge!) but my BMI is less then 25 which as far as I know is alright?

I've get some love handles Id like to sort out other then that im pretty happy with my body at the moment :rolleyes:

Id like to get a move on getting myself into fighting fit shape as I hate all this waiting around business Im very impatient :D

Any advice appericated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

AFAIK you need a bit of weight on you to conceive. My oh was told to put on weight. Too skiny is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I suppose its just what your GP recommends,

I was reading in the Irish Indo on Tuesday that they think its wise if woman with a BMI over 25 to lose a couple of pounds not just for baby but for themselves I was just wondering if anyone had be advised to my their GP

Also any recommendations for vitmains? Im currently taking folic acid.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

My OH uses pregnacare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My BMI is definately over 25 and I have had no problems conceiving, carrying the pregnancy to term and then giving birth. The end of the pregnancy was hard, but its hard no matter who you are or how much you weigh!

It sounds to me like you're a happy and healthy weight and I wouldn't put TTC on hold while you try to shed a few lbs! Just be healthy, eat healthy, get a little exercise and cut out or reduce the toxins (smoking and alcohol)

As long as you have a well balanced diet, you shouldn't really need to spend a fortune on pregnancy supplements (although many people do!) The only thing you actually should be taking is folic acid. You should start taking it now and continue to take it up until 12 weeks of pregnancy, although it'll do no harm to continue to take it throughout the pregnancy.

Hope this helps and good luck with the baby making :D

Crazy Cat Lady have to say you always give such wonderful and helpful advice!! (Cant thank your post as Im not aloud to yet ;) )

Cheers guys am looking forward to next couple of months of trying.(hopefully it may just be weeks! :D)

Fingers crossed anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was underweight at the begining of my pregnancy and they were on at me the whole pregnancy to gain weight - our son was only 4lb 12oz when born - being a normal BMI is healthy, you do not need to loose weight. Wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Your size sounds quite healthy - if I were you I'd focus on building up specific muscle strength in preparation for pregnancy and labour - nothing beats yoga imo. I'm quite a bit overweight but luckily conceived straight off the bat and found that yoga helped with a lot of weight related problems like back/joint ache, high blood pressure etc and was excellent for making labour more manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

or take up bellydancing :)

I was considering a salsa class, more for fun then weight loss really,

With winter coming I think I'll be hiring a tread mill as I'll be cutting back on my walks (I dont react well to the cold)

My mother who has numberous children swears by yoga actually she went through 9 natural births and found some of the positions really helped ease the pains

Didnt work well for my sister though, she was getting any pain relief she could get :D

Advertisement