Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Death certificates pre 1924

• 20-08-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm wondering where (if possible) I can get a copy of a pre-1924 death certificate? A great-uncle died in 1908 at age 30 and I'm curious to know the cause. Certificates.ie only supply certs for 1924 or later.

Do certs before this time even exist?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You might have to source them from British sources, given that Ireland was under British control in 1908. Although, it's possible that Britain transferred all such documents to the Irish Government upon the creation of the Free State. Hopefully someone knows. I'd be interested myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Cheers, I'll try contacting the British GRO: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content

I've got an English cert from 1916 on order with them so I'll ask if they've got anything for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

For all Irish Certs apply to the GRO www.groireland.ie

There's an index available at : http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

GRO UK do not have any Irish Certs. For NI certs from 1922, you need to apply to GRONI.

edit : registration, and therefore certs, for birth and deaths started in 1864, non-Catholic marriages in 1845, and Catholic marriages in 1864

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I searched the indexes at the above links and found some ineteresting stuff.

In order to obtain the certs, What should I do with the indexes?

I searched the indexes at the above links and found some ineteresting stuff.

In order to obtain the certs, What should I do with the indexes?

you send the references to the GRO. Download the relevant order form from their website, and enter your name, address and payment details. Ignore the rest of the form. On a separate page include the references to the cert you wish to order, and attach to the order. The required details are :

Name, type of record (e.g. death), registration district, year/quarter, volume number and page number. A research cert, which are scans/photocopies of the original register are usually best option. These cost €4 in the research room when you provide the references .. not sure if that's the charge by post. The other details on the index (film, image no etc) are LDS/familysearch internal references and not relevant to the GRO

You can also bring the references to the GRO research room in the Irish Life Centre (Abbey St, Dublin) and order and collect certs there.

Shane

p.s. details included on a death cert :

Registration District, County etc
    Date and Place of Death
    Name and Surname
    Sex
    Condition
    Age last birthday
    Rank, profession or occupation
    Certified cause of death and duration of illness
    Signature, Qualification and Residence of Informant
    Date of registration
    Registrars name

Deaths were registered from 1864

Condition is usually one of Bachelor, Spinster, Widow, Widower etc

In the case of a married woman or child, the husband/father's occupation is sometimes given - e.g. Theresa Reilly, wife of Farmer

If the informant is a family member this is usually mentioned as the qualification - e.g. on the death of a child 'Patrick Kelly, Father, Dunmore'

In the case of a death in a Hospital, Institution etc - the usual residence (townland or street) is sometimes entered under the name.

• Advertisement

Mention on the page hat you would like research certs. These are scans/photocopies of the original register.

The other details on the index are LDS/familysearch internal references and not relevant to the GRO

I understood you up until this point. Can you elaborate?

What exactly is the purpose of the research room of the GRO if everything I can get there can be obtained from the link posted earlier in this thread?

Thanks for your help. This is the only main source of my family history that I have not yet availed of.

I understood you up until this point. Can you elaborate?

What exactly is the purpose of the research room of the GRO if everything I can get there can be obtained from the link posted earlier in this thread?

Thanks for your help. This is the only main source of my family history that I have not yet availed of.

The BMD index on familysearch is based on the index books available in the GRO research room - it's just much easier to search the details online. There is also a charge for using these index books. The details included in these books are the same as the index - i.e. name, registration district, year/quarter, volume number & page. Other than these details, you dont need any of the other references from the familysearch website when order a cert..

Once you have established the references of interest you can either order by post from Roscommon, or drop into the GRO research room in Dublin - depends on your location and your level of patience ..

GRO Roscommon is postal orders only, you just download the order form - no online system.

Shane

Once you have established the references of interest you can either order by post from Roscommon, or drop into the GRO research room in Dublin - depends on your location and your level of patience ..

So if I get the index information from the net and bring that into the GRO research room in Dublin, Will they provide the certs to me there?

So if I get the index information from the net and bring that into the GRO research room in Dublin, Will they provide the certs to me there?

yes - they have a small form you need to fill out for each cert - basically the detail mentioned above. Note you can only collect a maximum of 5 certs per day - any additional cert you order will be posted out to you later on.

It's worth arriving early (i.e. just before they open at 9:30) - as they can get busy.

They are in Building 7, floor 3 - some of the signs say something about department of Health & Children. Building 7 is to left when entering from Abbey street past the fountain.

Shane

Thanks for this information. I visted the GRO and got some good information. Very nice office and well organised in there.

Can be a little difficult to get the correct records though if you dont know the exact year and your family name is common. For example, I was looking for a death cert of somebody who dies between 1901-1911. 5 entries of a person with that name in the same district dies in this time. And with my luck, it was the last one I applied for so it cost me €20 instead of €5!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yep, I'm looking for two death certificates from 1902 and 1916 and now realise the silly HSE site only goes back to 1924. What a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Yep, I'm looking for two death certificates from 1902 and 1916 and now realise the silly HSE site only goes back to 1924. What a joke!

Very annoying not being able to apply online, but I had no trouble getting my 1908 cert from the GRO via the traditional form in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If they can go back to 1924 why not go back to the beginning... i mean the documents are in the same building so i can't see the problem :confused: they should all be digitised and available freely in this day and age anyway...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Quick Question Folks.

I have found some Events on the Family Search website about births and deaths of great grandparents, if i order the cert from the GRO do i get an more details then the site shows. E.G Cause of Death??

on a death cert you get :

Date and place of death
    condition (widow, married etc)
    name, occupation and age of deceased
    cause of death and duration of illness
    name, address & qualification of informant (e.g. Mary Kavanagh, Dromore, wife)
    date of registration

birth cert :

Date & Place of Birth
    Name (of the Child)
    Sex
    Name and Surname and Dwelling Place of Father
    Name and Maiden Surname of Mother
    Rank or Profession of Father
    Signature, Qualification and Residence of Informant
    Date of Registration
    Registrars name