Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunkers Hill vs Manor Hill

• 20-08-2010 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at openstreetmap and Google Maps. Both call Bunkers Hill as Manor Hill. Is that its real name? If so, how did it get the nickname Bunkers Hill?

I know during the US War of Independence they had a battle of bunker hill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

dayshah wrote: »
    I was just looking at openstreetmap and Google Maps. Both call Bunkers Hill as Manor Hill. Is that its real name? If so, how did it get the nickname Bunkers Hill?

I know during the US War of Independence they had a battle of bunker hill

Isn't College St the correct name for Bunkers Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Penny Lane

College Street is part of it, as far as the Adult Ed centre as far as I know. Am flummoxed as to where Bunker's Hill came out of but that's what I've always known it as, will ask my granny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's College St from the Cork Road up to Hennessy's Road. From there up to Barrack St, it's officially Manor Hill, though of course I would never refer to it as anything other than Bunkers Hill!

No idea where the name comes from, or if it has anything to do with the battle site in Massachusetts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

prob more likely to do with the fact that there used to be an artillary barracks(artillary stored in bunkers) at the top of barrack st around the corner from the spar

also there used to be a military barracks across the road from the rice guest house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

anplaya wrote: »
    prob more likely to do with the fact that there used to be an artillary barracks(artillaries stored in bunkers) at the top of barrack st around the corner from the spar

also there used to be a military barracks across the road from the rice guest house.

Thanks, it sounds like a plausible explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Currently living on Hennessy's Road, and theres no sign that says "Bunkers Hill" from what I can see, but from asking the nanny she also says the name came from the artillary pieces being stored in bunkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Currently living on Hennessy's Road, and theres no sign that says "Bunkers Hill" from what I can see, but from asking the nanny she also says the name came from the artillary pieces being stored in bunkers.

Walked down the hill and up most days when going to the last job and the sign says Manor Hill at the top of the hill just off Barrack St. Should just get someone to rename it Bunkers Hill officially as no one calls it Manor Hill. Don't know the reasoning behind it though must be something to do with the Barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

prob more likely to do with the fact that there used to be an artillary barracks(artillary stored in bunkers) at the top of barrack st around the corner from the spar

Is that Saint Carthage's Avenue your talking about?

yeah i think the houses were built after the barracks were burnt down.(says they were burnt down in 1922)

Odats wrote: »
    Walked down the hill and up most days when going to the last job and the sign says Manor Hill at the top of the hill just off Barrack St. Should just get someone to rename it Bunkers Hill officially as no one calls it Manor Hill. Don't know the reasoning behind it though must be something to do with the Barracks.

Well, we can rename it ourselves on openstreetmap :)

• Advertisement

yeah i think the houses were built after the barracks were burnt down.(says they were burnt down in 1922)

I think the houses are there longer than that,but im probably wrong,you can actually get from bunkers hill to Carthages Avenue via the apartments in between,what says that where you getting the info from?

I think the houses are there longer than that,but im probably wrong,you can actually get from bunkers hill to Carthages Avenue via the apartments in between,what says that where you getting the info from?

was looking up artillery barracks,waterford .asked me mam,her and dad from around that way,and their families. so local people i guess?and online info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

The houses in St Carthage Avenue were built in 1938 - and are indeed on the site of an artillary barracks, which according to one of Jack O'Neill's books was under siege in 1922 alright!

It's always been my understanding that that's where the name comes from and is definitely always known as that. You don't hear anyone saying "Jeez boy, twas so steep twas like Manor Hill"?!!

littlecat wrote: »
    The houses in St Carthage Avenue were built in 1938 - and are indeed on the site of an artillary barracks, which according to one of Jack O'Neill's books was under siege in 1922 alright!

It's always been my understanding that that's where the name comes from and is definitely always known as that. You don't hear anyone saying "Jeez boy, twas so steep twas like Manor Hill"?!!

How do you know they were built in 1938?

littlecat wrote: »

So this raises another mystery, what is the manor that Manor Hill refers to, the Good Shepherd? Or The Manor on the Cork Rd.

Or maybe the Manor Saint John

Or maybe the Manor Saint John

I doubt it, its too far away.

But on street names in that area, how long is College St called that? WIT aren't there long, and I thought the Good Shepherds was an orphanage.

I doubt it, its too far away.

But on street names in that area, how long is College St called that? WIT aren't there long, and I thought the Good Shepherds was an orphanage.

But wasn't the Manor Saint John something like a big estate and all the surrounding areas its grounds,so Manor hill and all that area would have been included in it,maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

So this raises another mystery, what is the manor that Manor Hill refers to, the Good Shepherd? Or The Manor on the Cork Rd.

Manor Street is at the end of Bunkers Hill...so I'd say its likely that Manor St /Manor Hill could refer to the same place.....The Manor on the Cork road (now Manor Lodge restaurant/Manor court apartments)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

How do you know they were built in 1938?

A late relative was one of the first residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Well here some useless info for ye, Garter Lane used to be the bad side of town where all the whore houses used to be located back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't find any reference, but in England the area covered by a police station was called a manor, I think. Does anyone know anything to confirm that? Maybe the street name was a reference to the Barracks again?

looksee wrote: »
    I can't find any reference, but in England the area covered by a police station was called a manor, I think. Does anyone know anything to confirm that? Maybe the street name was a reference to the Barracks again?

A manor is just a big house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Shams wrote: »
    Well here some useless info for ye, Garter Lane used to be the bad side of town where all the whore houses used to be located back in the day
    Isn't it still? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A manor is just a big house.

Yes. But also...

Edit: Found it - I am wrong in terms of the road name, but it is a cockney slang word:

manor Noun. The home district felt to belong to a person or gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

It was always Bunker's Hill to me. College St etc are new introductions.

Similarly, we have Quarry Road which was always called The Red Road.

Advertisement