Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people...

• 20-08-2010 12:35pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Talking about staying up all night or getting up at like 6AM on Monday for offers etc?

I don't understand, is it first come first serve or are some just dying to see if they got their place?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Just curious to see if we got our places! It is more important than the results themselves for a lot of people!

It's nothing to do with first come first served - if you have gotten the points and the matriculation + course requirements, you will get your place. And you have up to the 30th of August to actually accept your offer, so there's no rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Just curious to see if we got our places! It is more important than the results themselves for a lot of people!

It's nothing to do with first come first served - if you have gotten the points and the matriculation + course requirements, you will get your place. And you have up to the 30th of August to actually accept your offer, so there's no rush!

Thats and the CAO website will probibly crash sometime after 8 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Points requirements may also be leaked as they were before. Last year somebody put up scans of the newspaper of that day about two hours before the offers could be seen. Did not see them personally but I believe they were online, I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Nothing to do with first-come first-serve, just anxiety over whether someone has got their course. If the site crashes all the points requirements will be in the irish times on monday :)
    Victoria. wrote: »
    Points requirements may also be leaked as they were before. Last year somebody put up scans of the newspaper of that day about two hours before the offers could be seen. Did not see them personally but I believe they were online, I'm open to correction.

Were the points leaked on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

And even if you dont have an Internet connection, you'll get any offers you got in the post anyway. I think its just impatience and anxiety. Theres not a lot of time between the 23rd and when some courses start; some people will have to try plan going off to the UK, some people will have to try find a place on a repeat program, some people will be deciding on whether to have their scripts rechecked... the list goes on.
    Really wish the CAO could have been faster with processing these offers. Its 3 days and a weekend of torture for everyone involved. The points are one thing, but no one can predict what the points levels will be for each course cos they don't release info on how many applicants want a course. And this year, there's the extra factor of all the people already with degrees, trying to get into courses too using their points from previous years exams. Its all done by computer programs but it must be stressful for the CAO folk making sure everything is bang on correct.

Was hoping they'd have the points up today on the website... and then Monday start issuing the offers. Seems they want to do it all on Monday and ruin peoples weekends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭brianw1

can somebody tell me how i can check my offers through the internet, like do i use the password i used to see my leaving cert results?

Its on the CAO website. if you applied online you will have a password to log on. In there they have a section in relation to your offers on your application form.
    If you havent applied online, then on monday you can still go to www.cao.ie and click on the points section in the left hand column and select Cao points for 2010. They will all be listed there

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

you make it sound like the CAO just has to press a button when they get results and all the offers are generated. I suspect there is a bit more to it than that otherwise they would issue the offers the day after the results come out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I got my UCAS offer the day after the results - why can't CAO do this if UCAS can?

Brainy wrote: »
    you make it sound like the CAO just has to press a button when they get results and all the offers are generated. I suspect there is a bit more to it than that otherwise they would issue the offers the day after the results come out.

They also have to flick a switch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

DGRulz wrote: »
    They also have to flick a switch :D
    and make arrangements for their nephews and neices.

and make arrangements for their nephews and neices.

Well thats assumed:p

how do u think it happens then? that mary from up the road is sitting there counting all the bits of paper? Come off it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

I got my UCAS offer the day after the results - why can't CAO do this if UCAS can?

I have to agree here, the system is clearly inefficient. There is too long a wait between receiving the results on the Wednesday and CAO offers on the Monday . I know that SEC and CAO are two separate organizations, however if UCAS who have over 600,000 applications can manage giving the offers out promptly, surely the CAO could try improving their time process somewhat, but this is Ireland i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I'm not certain of the truth of it, but I heard that, for all the CAO offers to arrive by post on Monday morning across the country, they all had to be posted by Friday evening. If that's the case, all of our offers are made and printed and being sorted, and we just have to wait (im)patiently until Monday to find out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Best of luck to everybody here.
    Can remember waiting up to see what I got offered 3 years ago.
    How time flies by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Don't they all come in the post on Monday anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

yes, they do, but some people are dreading it and just want to put their minds at ease. i know last year i got up at 9am to accept my offer. had a bit of trouble sleeping even though i knew i had got the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Maybe they are enthusiastic, hopeful, happy, positive.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't know, but I suspect that UCAS were just dealing with Irish results at that stage ... which would be a (relatively) small number.

I also suspect that the main delay with the CAO is printing the paper offers and stuffing them in envelopes ... if we ever get to the stage of online offers only, the wait should be a lot shorter.

But imagine the stress at the moment for people in rural areas of the country where broadband is sketchy or non-existant if they went to that system now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Yeh if they just loaded the results and pressed the button without checking anything and ye all got the wrong offers you would be complaining too.

So they can't win.

I doubt its as simple as just pressing a button and away ye go. They first have to run an algorithm to check the student has met the min entry requirements.
    I imagine its a huge database with all relational flags because they have to connect them all with previous years too. Must be a massive DB at this stage and it must be complicated getting it bang on right... but I think its taking them too long; considering all they were waiting for were the points. everything else was set up so does it take em 5 days to enter everyones points? Doubt it... that info is also in a DB somewhere with the Roinn Oideacheas.

Surely the colleges have told the CAO by now how many places they are willing to offer for each course? Is this information released to the public yet, or will we have to wait until Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

The college's worked out the first round offers yesterday :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

But imagine the stress at the moment for people in rural areas of the country where broadband is sketchy or non-existant if they went to that system now?

Or the rural parts of the country where the post doesn't come until 4pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

If case nobody knows, the points are can come early on the Irish time's site and rte teletext. They did come slightly earlier than 6am last year.

Advertisement