Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing a 9th subject

• 20-08-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Im going into 5th year and am doing maths, english, irish[ordinary], french, biology, physics, chemistry and applied maths.all hl.

does anyone have any advice on doing a 9th subject?

I would be taking classics as a 9th subject. I know its not easy, has a really high fail rate but the teacher in my school is amazing, I did it for jc and got an A so I do know all the work involved for classics.

has anyone done a 9th subject?:):):)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Why do you want a ninth subject?

Take it from somebody who did 8 HL subjects - it's very hard to divide your time between 8 subjects, nevermind 9. It may seem manageable, but when approaching exams it can all start to pile up a bit.

Are you thinking of dropping one subject to pass and taking up another HL to replace it, or are you simply just not concentrating on any subject when studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Well, I sat exams for 9 subjects. I suggest you not doing the ninth. I did Applied maths and Russian as extra subjects. I got an A1 in Russian because I'm fluent. I got an E in Applied Maths because I couldn't find time to study it. I did all higher except for Irish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

You may not want to hear this, I would advise you that you shouldn't do a 9th subject. You will be fine for a while, but after the mocks the pressure and the workload becomes very intense and 9 subjects will become a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Akanthia wrote: »
    Im going into 5th year and am doing maths, english, irish[ordinary], french, biology, physics, chemistry and applied maths.all hl.

I would be taking classics as a 9th subject. I know its not easy, has a really high fail rate but the teacher in my school is amazing, I did it for jc and got an A so I do know all the work involved for classics.

Going into 5th year? That determination is admirable, but really, a 9th subject is a bit much and you may very easily end up regretting it. It's tough to divide time between 7 HL subjects, tougher with 8, and extremely difficult with 9. If I were you, I'd avoid the unnecessary stress. It's only your top 6 that are counted for the points purposes. It's better to do work extremely hard and do well at 6 subjects, rather than dividing your time to try and get 9 covered.

It might seem nice and rosy going into 5th year, but as you go along, it will get very burdensome. Some things are easier said than done.

The dude who gets 9 A1s will still only be counted the exact same as a person who get 6 A1s, at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aoife005

Yup I did. Don't do it. I took up Economics because I was really bad at biology but then I actually started working hard at biology and ended up with a B2 which I was really happy with. I didn't have time to study economics and ended up not even counting it. It's an easy subject to do well in but a waste of time for me. Work hard at the subjects you're doing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Is it possible to do 9 subjects for the leaving cert all within the classroom environment and without the need to stay after school or do it as an external candidate on your own with a grind teacher?
    I wanted to do 9 subjects for mine but Spanish clashed with Chemistry on the timetable and I needed Chemistry more. Ended up dropping Physics cos it was just one I could never get my head around. Ended up with 7 in the end and really regretted not trying to keep Spanish.

9 subjects is doable... 10 even. But you really have to be studying flat out from the beginning of 5th year and then even give up your summer vacation after 5th year and study the whole summer too... just to keep up.

What subjects do you want to do btw? I know that people who did higher level maths, physics and applied maths found a massive overlap in those three. and people who did biology and home ec saw the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

A girl in my year did nine, she got 570. She got 11 A's in her junior and she started studying for the LC in 4th year, you just have to be that determined.

Another friend of mine did nine also, he didn't know how to handle the study and he gave up. He failed everything on wednesday.

You have to be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Purely out of idle interest, can I ask why those of you who did nine subjects (or even eight) made that decision? I can't understand it all all, and am always mystified when I see news about students who have done this. Why is seven not enough, when only six will be counted for points anyway? Surely it's not just because you are so interested in the subjects available that you can't choose between them (with the exception of the obligatory ones, of course)?
    Querying as someone who was a terrible dosser in school many years ago...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Wow, this is mad but you're doing all the exact same subjects as my boyfriend except he does Geography instead of Chemistry. He even does pass Irish like you and he's going into 6th year!! Right, well, applied maths is fine as you cover a lot of the course anyway in Physics and H.L maths so I think you already have like 3 questions covered in Applied Maths, that's not going to take up any extra time.

Classical studies is a lot of work but if it comes naturally to you and if you like reading then you will do well in it, you have to be very good at english and history. I'd say go for it and then if you feel you can't keep up drop down to pass, or drop a subject. Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ClodaghJoan

took 10 if you count LCVP, i got nothing below a D1( in irish, i HATE irish)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

I did 9 all higher level .... U shouldn't let other ppl put it off for you if its really what you want to do

B2 was mt lowest but only got 1 A1 in french and my 3 other a's were all in subjects I could and should have easily gotten an A1 in if I had more time ....

My situation is different I started 5th yr 2months late cause I did ty
    I started with 7 english irish maths french physics chemistry and biology

then in january of 5th yr decided to do music

and february of LEAVING CERT YEAR I started applied maths ! - just wanted to 4 crack and loved it ... got a B2 after 4 months

I didn't count either of my extra subjects B2s in both but they broke the monotony of the other 7 and I find it really hard to sit down and study something so maybe if you enjoy classics you should do it !?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Akanthia, why do you want to take 9?

Only 6 will be counted for points, taking nine only spreads your time too widely. Unless you have a good reason for it, I would advise against.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I know this is being really nit-picky, but just to let you know OP, if you're trying to do 9 to get like 9A1's.. remember 1 of those is Pass (Irish), so like it won't be the same as someone who got the 9A1's at HL (the most amount of A1's students have gotten.. I think?)

Sorry I know it's mean of me to say, 8 A1's is brilliant, but if you wanted the (even higher) prestige of 9 (I think there was only 1 person this year) maybe you should go for the HL Irish? If you're able for the 8 other HL you might as well give it a shot!

(Though on a side note: I do think it's completely crazy trying to do 9 subjects, you'll never have any time for the next two years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

The amount of work you'd put into a junior cert subject really can't be compared to the work you need to pass it at leaving cert level. The junior cert isn't a good indicator of how you'll do in the leaving cert at all. They're very very different examinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭WillyWaggler

It's better to spread your time over 7 subjects than stretching yourself over 9.

If you do 9 you'll have less time to study each subject, and your grades could suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ToodlyWoodly

I started out with 7 HL subjects in 5th year. Then when I started 6th year I took up music as an 8th. Found it really difficult to divide my time among them especially as maths took up so much of my time. Ended up really sick when easter came round and dropped to OL in 2 subjects.

What do u want to do when u leave school? If ur someone who is bright and may not have to struggle too much then maybe go for it. But as others have said why put yourself through 2 really tough years of it when at the end of the day only 6 count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I did 9, it made it more draining and harder and I was doing 2 pass subjects, less time to spread over each subject and I am majorly regretting the 9, keep the 8 and you'll have a better chance of good points. I know someone who did 10, keep the 7 or 8 and it'll work out better, you dont wanna cost yourself points

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

doing 9 is absolutely ridiculous. I only did 6. I got 5 A's and a B. Thats 580 points. I could really focus on each of those six subjects and there was nothing in 5 of those six exams ( maths being the exception) that i didn't know backwards. One of my friends did 8 subjects and he is much brighter than me, however when it came to the crunch he couldn't give his full attention to each subject. His points: 490....nuf said

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akanthia

I think I'll skip the ninth subject
    thanks for all the help guys xx:D:D:):D

Advertisement