Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Duper Off Duty Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Shammy wrote: »
    Fyp

I didnt expect Spurs to make it to the next round and in fairness we've done really well in the comp , it just pisses me off that we are our own worst enemies.

Ye are not alone.. see Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

everlast75 wrote: »
    Ye are not alone.. see Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc..
    I consider Chelsea's worst enemy their owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Denny M wrote: »
    I consider Chelsea's worst enemy their owner.

Yeah.. because chelsea would have qualified for the champions league, never mind win anything, if they were never bought by roman :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

He might have poured money into the club, but stuff like what's happening with Torres isn't exactly paying dividends for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

He might have poured money into the club, but stuff like what's happening with Torres isn't exactly paying dividends for them.

Well compare him to what Man City's owners are doing and praise him. Hes using nowhere near that amount of money and they actually became champions in 2 seasons or so. Challenged straight away didnt they?

• Advertisement

I suppose that is true. Man City have gotten nothing near what Chelsea did in Abramovich's first year or two. I still don't think he should have made the purchase of Torres, and taking off Drogba to play the mis-firing Spaniard has been a poor enough choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

At least by him signing Torres for £50mil we can all get a great laugh everytime Chelsea play :)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm only going to skim the surface here but Chelsea's main problem is their owner and their aging squad. I understand what Mags said but the crux of it stems from the higher ups, just like it did with Liverpool and even his team Leeds. Leeds and Liverpool are more extreme cases though.

As for Torres, I've said this a million times elsewhere. While he isn't in any great form, the Chelsea team LIKE Spain is not catered towards his style in the slightest. I'll use an example, Torres goal vs Germany in the final of Euro 2008. That is one of the rare times Spain actually catered to Torres.But Spain play tiki taka football and this philosophy won't change. Chelsea are far too used to and dependent on Drogba. Getting the ball behind the defence and letting him run onto things. Gerrard and Alonso at Liverpool provided this in abdundance and look at his goal return then. I don't think he'll ever recapture his Liverpool form but he will bang in the goals so long as he gets a good preseason under him, personnel changes around him(namely Drogba and Lampard) and a football style catering to his style is introduced. Also just to add, I think part of him already regrets his decision. Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I honestly do believe that.

Maybe I'll go on about Arsenal later, but their manager has a lot to answer for.. no matter what he has done in the past.

In fairness his form was shocking before he left liverpool as well so im not so sure hes regretting it, if he hadn't of left liverpool they would probably be in a much worse position than they are atm and he would still be struggling. Once he gets going he'll come good i think, im expecting chelsea to buy a few top class midfeilders in the summer so it could be a very different chelsea team next season.

Its hard to be over critical of wenger imo, they're squad isnt deep enough, everyone knows that, they really need to bolster the defense in the summer and get a consistantly reliable keeper. They were unlucky in the CL to draw barca in the first round and they did ok against them in fairness, they're only a few points off the top in the premiership aswel.

The PL is just getting tighter every year, there are 6 teams that are of CL knockout stage standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I kinda hoped abromovichs interference with picking th esquad had ended with shevchenko but no,forcing torres to be picked over drogba cost the game against utd.Should of had drogba on from the start and maybe subbed him for torres at the 70min mark

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    In fairness his form was shocking before he left liverpool as well so im not so sure hes regretting it, if he hadn't of left liverpool they would probably be in a much worse position than they are atm and he would still be struggling. Once he gets going he'll come good i think, im expecting chelsea to buy a few top class midfeilders in the summer so it could be a very different chelsea team next season.

Its hard to be over critical of wenger imo, they're squad isnt deep enough, everyone knows that, they really need to bolster the defense in the summer and get a consistantly reliable keeper. They were unlucky in the CL to draw barca in the first round and they did ok against them in fairness, they're only a few points off the top in the premiership aswel.

The PL is just getting tighter every year, there are 6 teams that are of CL knockout stage standard.

There is a lot more to it than meets the eye Mags, a lot of unrest in the dressing room between players(Gerrard and Carra vs Reina and Torres if you believe reports), the manager(Hodgson) and the previous owners(Dumb and Dumber).

Torres had 3 goals to his name January once Kenny took over and it was clear he was getting back to somewhere near decent form in his all round play. At soon as he moved to Chelsea it's almost as if he simply, relapsed.

Wenger cannot buy a defender, and was fortunate enough to have Seaman, Adams, Keown, Dixion and one or two others when he first arrived at the club.
    His decision to stick by Alumnia for so so long is baffling. For the past 5 years we've been told that this Arsenal side is ready. Ready for what? Going trophyless and imploding at the latter parts of seasons. As far as I'm concerned, this season is the most shambolic the EPL has been in a long long time. This was truly their best chance at the very least to get that monkey off their back and win at least one trophy. But they couldn't even a relegation threatened Birmingham City in the Carling Cup final, mentally weak despite their talent.

I'm tempted to dissect Arsenal and break it down but I honestly cannot be arsed with them. In short, many of the players cannot cope with the pressure. They might go on to prove me wrong one day but this squad at present, well I'm not too worried about them.

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    I kinda hoped abromovichs interference with picking th esquad had ended with shevchenko but no,forcing torres to be picked over drogba cost the game against utd.Should of had drogba on from the start and maybe subbed him for torres at the 70min mark

Sheva, like Torres was never going to work at Chelsea.. especially under Mourinho's tactics.

Even as a Liverpool fan, I was devastated for Sheva. Been a fan of his since watching him play for the excellent Dynamo Kiev side of the late 90s and is in my top 5 favourite strikers to watch in my life time. Still remember his hat trick vs Barca in Champions League (97 season) like it was yesterday *waves old man stick* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

1st Year
    2nd Year
    3rd Year
    4th Year

Halfway done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Leeg17 wrote: »
    1st Year
    2nd Year
    3rd Year
    4th Year

Halfway done :mad:

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Almost finished my 3rd year aswell, can do a 5th year (masters) but dont know if ill bother yet.

There's people talking about the masters they want to do already, christ like I can barely see myself getting through 4th year..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

People say City and Chelsea are similar in that they were taken over by a wealthy man and expected to win the league straight away but the difference between the two teams is that Chelsea were already qualifying for the champs league when Roman took over whereas City were a mid table team. It will take time for City to gel but I hope they don't qualify for the Champs League because then they will be able to buy pretty much anyone they want as they can offer them Champs League football.

I never thought there would be a day when seeing Torres in the starting line up would be a good thing but that's how I felt when I read the team sheet before the game mid week and what Ade said was right, Spain and Chelsea don't cater to Torres needs and until they do Torres won't be very useful to either.

However, if reports are true then Chelsea will be building a team which will cater to Torres and he should get better next season.

Kharrell wrote: »
    However, if reports are true then Chelsea will be building a team which will cater to Torres and he should get better next season.
    Sounds fairly like a Chelsea tactic, throw money at it to fix it.

Sounds fairly like a Chelsea tactic, throw money at it to fix it.

It's a football tactic, I'm a United fan and went to the FA Youth Cup semi final against Chelsea on Sunday and looking at the 11 players in red, I could imagine 2 maybe 3 making it into the United first team. Paul Pogba, Will Keane and maybe Larnell Cole. Ravel Morrison was suspended but I expect him to be a future England and United star.

Anyway, all teams buy talent to cater for their best stars. United haven't produced a goalkeeper since forever and with Van der Sar retiring, instead of promoting Ben Amos or Sam Johnstone we are going out and buying and its what we have done all the time under Fergie. Chelsea and City do it to a much bigger extreme but so do United and all teams will throw money at a problem if they have it because to be relegated into the Championship is something no team wants to do because of the financial implications.

Its why managers are sacked a few games into the season, even the risk of being relegated causes chairmans to sack a manager before they are given a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Leeg17 wrote: »
    There's people talking about the masters they want to do already, christ like I can barely see myself getting through 4th year..

you'll get there mate! trust me.. I know

1st Year
    2nd Year
    3rd Year
    4th Year
    5th year
    6th year (half way through)
    7th year
    8th year

get out while you can!

• Advertisement

What are you lot studying ?

Forensic Investigation and Analysis.

Thats pretty much the ratio it's set out. Frig all forensics so far :(. 4 Years degree but atm I can't see myself doing anymore study after I'm done. Went straight from LC into it, so I'll be 20 graduating, need to go travel or something for a while!

Ancient Pharmaceutical Hebrew Astrophysics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Took a yea off before went to college... needed the cash!! best thing I ever did!! :D year of working 2 jobs and doing 60-70hour weeks!!

did my 4 years Science degree and now I'm doing a Ph.D in physiology.. its all research!! its all painful!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I'm giving up on college after this year, really couldn't be arsed to do a 3 semester Masters... Gonna hopefully start up my own company next month instead of sitting on the dole too :)

OH MY DAYS how do you lot have time to play computer games when your on such difficult courses. I study sports journalism and I thought that was hard, I might as well be doing a course on colouring within the lines!

Students: Working hard 12 hours a day, seven days a week, two weeks a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Domestic engineering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Oh.. em Game Prototyping & Ludology Geek_FPPIJ4.gif before that, game design..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm debating going back to college as a mature student but I'd be 30, means I'd be almost 35 finishing college, bah, shoulda done it years ago. stupid full time jobs and things that cost money!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement