Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Duper Off Duty Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

krudler wrote: »
    I'm debating going back to college as a mature student but I'd be 30, means I'd be almost 35 finishing college, bah, shoulda done it years ago. stupid full time jobs and things that cost money!

Never too old mate - did it myself - 4 years in total - honours degree - done!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

what are you thinking of doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

one of biggest regrets is not going to college.Would love to do computer science but im 36->be 40 when finished and with other commitments i'm not sure if I could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what are you thinking of doing?

something in games design i guess, although i am doing a film editing course soon, so I'll be investing in a pvr and creating some masterpieces :pac:

ho-lee shiiiiiiit this looks good

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Dice will be their own downfall. I read they are going head to head with Activision and releasing BF3 after MW3 :confused: While I admire that, they will fail. I rather they waited till next summer if not this summer(obviously out of the question now) and release it. Really every COD game in my experience, peaks around early Spring. Between Spring and before Summer is the perfect time to release it. If it's a glorified success, then go up against the big dawg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dice will be their own downfall. I read they are going head to head with Activision and releasing BF3 after MW3 :confused: While I admire that, they will fail. I rather they waited till next summer if not this summer(obviously out of the question now) and release it. Really every COD game in my experience, peaks around early Spring. Between Spring and before Summer is the perfect time to release it. If it's a glorified success, then go up against the big dawg.

They just need to go back to basic's, BF2 was better than any CoD game imo, BC2... meh, it was ok and probably played alot better on the PC.

Im really looking forward to it, wish i had a powerful rig to play it on tho as apparently it will look ALOT better on the PC compared to the console version.

Its never really gonna be a CoD killer tho because it doesnt really attract the same type of gamer imo, very different games.

I dont think it'll hurt them releasing it when they plan too tho, especially this year with MW3 probably being a rushed game.

I don't think it'll be a COD killer, I just want to see it compete with COD.

I would have bought BF2. But everyone bar one on the PS3 and a few on the 360 bought it. Said it before, but I really liked the open beta. I won't let that put me off this time around though.

But BF is something you really need to play with group of mates who will work together. In COD, anyone can go around and use high killstreaks and win the match more or less on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Agree that they are stupid to release it after MW3. Cod acts like a vacuum whenever it comes out taking all the cash and peoples interest away from other games. If it sells half as many units as MW3 it will be seen as a success. They need to build their install base up gradually cause you arent gona take over Cod with 1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

In my mind BF2 is a far better game than MW2 or Blops!! The size of the maps, the way sniping IS ACTUALLY SNIPING, the classes was a nice touch.

Only thing is that I enjoy playing MW2 or blops more.. Cant put my finger on it... I just think they are more fun despite the fact I think BF2 is a better game..

that make sense?? :confused: I confuse myself aswel

• Advertisement

hypermuse wrote: »
    In my mind BF2 is a far better game than MW2 or Blops!! The size of the maps, the way sniping IS ACTUALLY SNIPING, the classes was a nice touch.

Only thing is that I enjoy playing MW2 or blops more.. Cant put my finger on it... I just think they are more fun despite the fact I think BF2 is a better game..

that make sense?? :confused: I confuse myself aswel

Do you mean BC2 or BF2 ? BF2 was imo more fun than all the CoD's, it was amazing craic.

I think you guys are underestimating how much they will be pushing this game, they are spending a ridiculous amount of money in the advertising compaign apparently, it certainly wont be drowned out like some other games.

You've also got Uncharted 3 + Elders Scrolls coming out around the same time aswel... Activision really need to release a solid game imo, cant see them replicating black ops sales figures tbh.

COD is more arcadey, a more pick up and play type of game hence why many millions of people are drawn to it. There's not that big of a learning curve. The pace of the game is also very different, much faster and your average game loves this.

I see some similarities between the FIFA vs Pro Evo debate a few years back actually. Pro Evo was by far the more better game(shame it's cack now), because it catered for purists, more technical and a far steeper learning curve. FIFA was/is easy to play and we all know about the backing it gets in regards to advertising, name, etc. But the sales comparison was always in favour of EA and not Konami(PES developers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

i was a pes fan for years but this year i jumped to fifa 2011-enjoying it at the moment(but am shockingly bad at itcant get the knack of crossing yet).PES has gone to sh1te.

Karkland map from BF2 is the god of all maps.Love it:D

Magill wrote: »
    Do you mean BC2 or BF2 ? BF2 was imo more fun than all the CoD's, it was amazing craic.

I think you guys are underestimating how much they will be pushing this game, they are spending a ridiculous amount of money in the advertising compaign apparently, it certainly wont be drowned out like some other games.

You said you barely played COD4, yes?

Not underestimating anything, it's clear Dice and EA are stepping up the plate this time around. BUT, no matter how good their advertising is, they aren't maximising their profits and increasing their fanbase like the could do.

You said you barely played COD4, yes?

Not underestimating anything, it's clear Dice and EA are stepping up the plate this time around. BUT, no matter how good their advertising is, they aren't maximising their profits and increasing their fanbase like the could do.

Well, i bought it twice for the PC and probably played it for a couple of days played time i guess and at a few lan tournaments for the craic, it just wasnt good enough to drag me away from CS, whereas BF2 + TF2 i had a good 15+ days worth.

Im not saying they're gonna take over from cod, but atm i think BF3 will be the better game unless IW pull something special out of their arse but im expecting more of the same from them. I also think BF will take more out of CoD's sales than the CoD will take out of BF's. It'll be interesting no doubt, hopefully both games are excellent tho because it gets boring playing the same game all the time.

You've also got Uncharted 3 + Elders Scrolls coming out around the same time aswel... .

Uncharted 3..
    I played Uncharted 2 (only coz I got it free with PS3).. finished it and thought it was average.. main character is such a douche!! hot cyber ladies thou! :D would not be bothered with this game..

Elders Scrolls
    cant wait!! so much misspent youth on morrowind and oblivion!!! :D:D
    COD is more arcadey, a more pick up and play type of game hence why many millions of people are drawn to it. There's not that big of a learning curve. The pace of the game is also very different, much faster and your average game loves this.

you know... I think you put your finger on it there!! think thats exactly it!!

Uncharted 3..
    I played Uncharted 2 (only coz I got it free with PS3).. finished it and thought it was average.. main character is such a douche!! hot cyber ladies thou! :D would not be bothered with this game..

whaaaaat?! Nathan Drake is one of the few genuinely likeable game characters, I'd take one of him over 10 silent moody hero types any day of the week. some of the dialogue in UC2 is brilliant:

Elena:"where would me almost dying rate on your fear scale?"
    Nate:"...6"
    Elena:"6?!, well whats a 10?"
    Nate: "......clowns"
    Elena: "clowns?!"
    Nate: "I...I hate clowns"

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I should be asleep but woke up because someone is wrong on the internet. Uncharted 2 average? You are so wrong its not even funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Uncharted 3..

WTF He is one of the best characters ever up there with The Snakes etc But that is your opinion and we cant't make ya change it

Lol muse :) You mightened be hyped for it but UC1 + 2 are two of the best games released this generation of consoles imo, there'll be huge hype for it.

Cant wait for skyrim either... hope i can afford all these games :D Haven't been able to buy any of hte new releases this year !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

I was gonna reply to hypermuse outrageous post just after he posted it but I was paralyzed with rage so I just went to bed and had sweet dreams about chillin out in an exotic beach bar sharing a cold beer with Nate.

:p

Lol muse :) You mightened be hyped for it but UC1 + 2 are two of the best games released this generation of consoles imo, there'll be huge hype for it.

Cant wait for skyrim either... hope i can afford all these games :D Haven't been able to buy any of hte new releases this year !!!
    Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    I was gonna reply to hypermuse outrageous post just after he posted it but I was paralyzed with rage so I just went to bed and had sweet dreams about chillin out in an exotic beach bar sharing a cold beer with Nate.

:p
    WTF He is one of the best characters ever up there with The Snakes etc But that is your opinion and we cant't make ya change it
    Headshot wrote: »
    I should be asleep but woke up because someone is wrong on the internet. Uncharted 2 average? You are so wrong its not even funny
    whaaaaat?! Nathan Drake is one of the few genuinely likeable game characters, I'd take one of him over 10 silent moody hero types any day of the week. some of the dialogue in UC2 is brilliant:

Elena:"where would me almost dying rate on your fear scale?"
    Nate:"...6"
    Elena:"6?!, well whats a 10?"
    Nate: "......clowns"
    Elena: "clowns?!"
    Nate: "I...I hate clowns"

:pac::pac::pac:

Touched a nerve did I?? hahaha!! looks like me against the internet! :D

I dunno. just didnt do much for me tbh!!

ah well.. I pick pick it up when it comes out but I aint that excited bout it at all!
    never played UC1

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

:pac::pac::pac:

Touched a nerve did I?? hahaha!! looks like me against the internet! :D

I dunno. just didnt do much for me tbh!!

ah well.. I pick pick it up when it comes out but I aint that excited bout it at all!
    never played UC1

Who said that??

*ignore list*

UC1 is good except for that HORRIBLE bunker level, nearly made me stop playing it, but UC2 is just better in every way

started playing Halo Reach last night, playing a multiplayer fps where you cant ADS is just....odd, and the zoom button for sniping is on the same stick as movement, makes no sense! COD= perfect console controller fps setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

started playing Halo Reach last night, playing a multiplayer fps where you cant ADS is just....odd, and the zoom button for sniping is on the same stick as movement, makes no sense! COD= perfect console controller fps setup.

Agree im so use to the buttons on COD, feels very weird if the fire button is R2 insterad of R1.

baldymac wrote: »
    Agree im so use to the buttons on COD, feels very weird if the fire button is R2 insterad of R1.

I haev COd on the ps3 and xbox and often have lobbed a semtex at a wall instead of shooting and vice versa :pac: fire is R1 on ps3 and R2 on 360 took me ages to get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

I haev COd on the ps3 and xbox and often have lobbed a semtex at a wall instead of shooting and vice versa :pac: fire is R1 on ps3 and R2 on 360 took me ages to get used to it

That's all it is getting used to it, on BO i tried to use tactical, R3 for prone and O for knife, if you can get use to it, can be very useful and perfect for dropshot kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

you can flip it you know?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement