Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Duper Off Duty Thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Kersmash wrote: »
    im such a fifa n00b. any tips from ye pros?

Depends how you want to play tbh. As I said previously, you can play the game(mechanics) which the majority do or you can play football.

I'm the latter as are the club as well( Eamo, Khad and Remi will vouch for me) all about movement, getting players running off the ball and making triangles so to always have a pass available. Kinda treat the game like chess and trying to connect dots ie: players. See patterns and passes (might sound odd to you depending on your footy tactical knowledge which I'm very much into) and wait for that moment. Sounds odd I know but I imagine the moves and passes beforehand nearly everytime. It doesn't always work out of course as I myself am fairly extreme in this at times when playing 1vs1 and that can be my downfall sometimes but for the most part it's a strength.

There's a lot of little things you can do to improve so it's hard to know where to start without seeing you play. Might be worth your time uploading a couple of your games, a good and a bad one. I'll give it a look if you ever want or perhaps the lads here will give you a match, 1vs1 (cba'ed as I said yesterday with 1vs1) and give you advice if you want as well.

One general tip especially for newbies, at the beginning of every match immediately switch to defensive and counter attack via the D pad. Suss out after a couple of minutes how good/bad your opponent is and alter to suit. A lot of people in the know will be using counter attack including myself in the beginning. Also crowd the midfield with 5 in it. Our club predominately uses 4-2-3-1. I like that or the 4-5-1(1). Again, many will do likewise simply to have the advantage in midfield.

OH! When your under pressure, boot the ball out of play or up the pitch if your unsure especially in a latter stages of a match. Clear it. Easier said than done for a few of us here including myself though :P

... and on a FIFA Club related note, my VP is now -

kaka.jpg

Torn between him and Del Piero but i've made the latter before :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Way to spam the thread :p I saw someones post in the ps forum "I miss my friends I've never met"

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Ade, before you watch, you might need these...

kleenex%20mansize.jpg

It's actually not my type of thing mate. If he did that in a Club match, now that would be impressive. Watched their Club live stream for a half an hour one day.

It was himself, Moodie and Trout. Atletico EMB would bitch slap them around, e z :cool: :D In fairness to them, they at least try to play the game as naturally as possible, so kudos to them for that.

• Advertisement

#L33G, don't get too excited now

About what Ade?

About what Ade?

Clue is in the last post.. and this one #L33G (<
    I'll get that trending or die trying :pac:)

I knew it was twitter, jus the touch app only shows some tweet for some reason and I didn't see the links. That pic was amazing, looks unreal on this 3" screen, food looked nice aswell :eek::pac:

I knew it was twitter, jus the touch app only shows some tweet for some reason and I didn't see the links. That pic was amazing, looks unreal on this 3" screen, food looked nice aswell :eek::pac:

Hope you saw Remi's tweet :pac:

Food wasn't half bad. Sometimes I think I should have taken up cooking :p Twas a handy chef when it came to Home EC, yeah that's right your ****ers, Home EC.

angry-chef.jpg?w=194&h=260

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Depends how you want to play tbh. As I said previously, you can play the game(mechanics) which the majority do or you can play football.

I'm the latter as are the club as well( Eamo, Khad and Remi will vouch for me) all about movement, getting players running off the ball and making triangles so to always have a pass available. Kinda treat the game like chess and trying to connect dots ie: players. See patterns and passes (might sound odd to you depending on your footy tactical knowledge which I'm very much into) and wait for that moment. Sounds odd I know but I imagine the moves and passes beforehand nearly everytime. It doesn't always work out of course as I myself am fairly extreme in this at times when playing 1vs1 and that can be my downfall sometimes but for the most part it's a strength.

There's a lot of little things you can do to improve so it's hard to know where to start without seeing you play. Might be worth your time uploading a couple of your games, a good and a bad one. I'll give it a look if you ever want or perhaps the lads here will give you a match, 1vs1 (cba'ed as I said yesterday with 1vs1) and give you advice if you want as well.

One general tip especially for newbies, at the beginning of every match immediately switch to defensive and counter attack via the D pad. Suss out after a couple of minutes how good/bad your opponent is and alter to suit. A lot of people in the know will be using counter attack including myself in the beginning. Also crowd the midfield with 5 in it. Our club predominately uses 4-2-3-1. I like that or the 4-5-1(1). Again, many will do likewise simply to have the advantage in midfield.

Cheers for the in depth reply mate!

The thing is, I haven't played Fifa properly since around '02/'03 I think, so I have the basics of passing, tackling, shooting etc down, but extremely rusty. It's all the other buttons that get me confused.

My main issues are aiming when crossing/shooting, and defending. People seem to just run right through my defense and I'm powerless to stop them. I assume that'll just come with time and practice? I hope.

With PSN being down and all I haven't played in a while, just a few matches against the computer. It's weird, I'm not a huge fan of football but Fifa is so much fun. And because of it I have been getting a bit more interested in football in general. I have no idea who most of the players are these days though :P

Cheers for the tips again all of yiz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

The thing is, I haven't played Fifa properly since around '02/'03 I think, so I have the basics of passing, tackling, shooting etc down, but extremely rusty. It's all the other buttons that get me confused.

My main issues are aiming when crossing/shooting, and defending. People seem to just run right through my defense and I'm powerless to stop them. I assume that'll just come with time and practice? I hope.

With PSN being down and all I haven't played in a while, just a few matches against the computer. It's weird, I'm not a huge fan of football but Fifa is so much fun. And because of it I have been getting a bit more interested in football in general. I have no idea who most of the players are these days though :P

Kersmash I was the exact same as you, the last FIFA i played was 05 before I only came back last year to FIFA 10. As you would expect I was absolutely shíte, always getting destroyed by my friends.

TBH I only use normal passes, high through balls and ground through balls. I would recommend you to study the tutorials on the game, they're a life saver and you'll pick up new great skills with regards defending and attacking and ball possession. They will aid you massively to get used to the basics and settle you into the new type of play, make sure you take a look!

The arena is great for practicing your shooting and practice matches will improve your crossing. They will all improve over time. One thing I do always in order to score crosses is when your winger is legging it up the wing, constantly look at your radar to see where you striker is. Also try to make sure the striker heads the ball on the run, therefore you'll get more power and accuracy. Practice, practice, practice!

Same here! I grew up watching football about 02, 03 and lost interest. But honestly FIFA has got me interested in football again and I'm a devout follower again, I'm sure it will happen to you also! It's very interesting to see how much it's changed since that era.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    Am I the only person who doesnt like football :pac:

Nope. I think it's muck.

Full of pansies IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Nope. I think it's muck.

Full of pansies IMO

Rugby fan?

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Rugby fan?

Sure they're even worse. They grab each others bum in the scrum :pac:

I like manly sports such as Bowling, Darts, Snooker and UFC/WEC!

Ah thought you meant multiplayer. Yeah if you dedicate time in anything, you'll become decent of course.

I'm certainly ain't great shakes defensively even if I have improved a . Really all I can say is don't necessarily engage the defender head on immediately. Jockey his run (buttons are a bit hazy in my head atm) and wait till you feel you've matched his run too.

Also as I said before, be it vs CPU or human, knowing when to boot the ball our of play and up to pitch is so underused especially in those tight games when your under pressure.

Defending AI is fairly crap as the lads have said before and many will tell ya on the FIFA and PES forum here on Boards. So while it's something you can develop, the AI (even your own) screws you over a lot of the time.

Re: attacking,

Pass and move, L1 + X(again, hazy) is a valuable weapon to have. Lot of people I see don't do that and are so static. Helps getting players running off the ball, make space and thus create angles to put moves together. Just be weary that it obviously leaves space open. Again, just to reference our club for example, Ray plays as the striker and me as the center attacking midfielder. Me and him can read each other easily. As soon as he picks up the ball, he knows I'm looking to over lap him on in most instances. With me running forward and the defenders concerned with him(Ray), it's hard for them to pick me. If they do pick me up, I'm already sprinting at full pelt while they're back tracking so I have the advantage.

Repeating myself here but there are so many little things to go over to help one improve in FIFA/PES that it's hard to know where to start. Attacking, namely movement, vision and passing are my main strengths so if anything you take from my comments, note the attacking :pac:

Just keep at it anyway, you'll read the CPU opponents in no time. Online opponents are similar... majority are fairly predictable with the odd variation thrown in.

We'll keep you so. :p

We'll keep you so. :p

Brings a tear to my eye to fit in! But seriously, I actually do enjoy those sports. A lot! :o

Sure they're even worse. They grab each others bum in the scrum :pac:

lol. I forgive you so:D

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    lol. I forgive you so:D

Any sports tickle your fancy??

• Advertisement

Football mostly. I'd play pretty much anything if it's fun but to watch mostly just the footie and some boxing when Pac-Man or some of the Irish boys are on.

I'm guessing UFC with the topless men :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Is psn still down?
    Last 3 games of fifa online people have quit against me so haven't played in ages but mite go back tonite,although I just got uncharted 2 so mite try that out online

Also GSP vs Shields,gotta be goin for a gsp win here

Yea Perrin :mad::(
    Can see GSP winning myself too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Blah blah blah

Fottball

Blah.

Reported for talking football in the CoD forum... Hopefully the mods will ban.... Oh wait :(

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Is psn still down?
    Last 3 games of fifa online people have quit against me so haven't played in ages but mite go back tonite,although I just got uncharted 2 so mite try that out online

Also GSP vs Shields,gotta be goin for a gsp win here

Really fun.

Naughty Dog (developer) only brushed the surface with multiplayer in Uncharted 2. If you saw the Uncharted 3 multiplayer teaser last week(?), looks like they're going full out on it while still maintaining the high end quality of campaign. Zero doubts that it'll sweep up all the awards and plaudits again.

If you do play MP, report back to me and tell me if there are many people still playing it. I'll be buying it anyway a months time namely for campaign.

Tallon wrote: »
    Reported for talking football in the CoD forum... Hopefully the mods will ban.... Oh wait :(

Computer game actually ;)

The joys of the off topic thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Just keep at it anyway, you'll read the CPU opponents in no time. Online opponents are similar... majority are fairly predictable with the odd variation thrown in.

I'd rather be playing online to be honest,it's more fun, even if I ain't great. What game modes do ye play? I've just been doing the quick find a match yokey. I have no idea what the difference is between all the other selections in the menu :S Sucha n00b.

I'd rather be playing online to be honest,it's more fun, even if I ain't great. What game modes do ye play? I've just been doing the quick find a match yokey. I have no idea what the difference is between all the other selections in the menu :S Sucha n00b.

I play Virtual Pro mode only. So in short, I created an indivdual player who starts out on next to nothing stats which I then improved by completing the many accomplishments. I'm part of a club including Kharrell, Eamo, Remi and Ray and we batter the vast majority of clubs we face :) We all play in set positions, again I'm the center forward / center attacking midfielder.

I just enjoy it more due to working as a team (seeing a pattern here I hope :D) and having a role in the team. It's so much fun do well collectively then individually... for me anyways.

In December when me and Ray were at the top of games and put in some crazy hours, we were ranked 23 in Europe at one point. Such awesome football was played to which made that bit more satisfying.

Offer is there but if you want to ever join us, by all means the door is open. Just give us a shout on here, PSN or twitter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement