Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Duper Off Duty Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Gunns4Hire and his wife said to me, the one thing the noticed about Ireland, is the completely different killcams and time line of events leading up to it

Ireland's networking infrastructure is ridiculous.. Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

everlast75 wrote: »
    Listen... Marty Mc-fookin Fly will be zooming around in his hover-skateboard before the likes of Eircom, UPC etc catch up with the rest of the world.

These games have a shelf life of exclusivity of one year. With millions of people playing online, there's f**k all excuse.

I accept that some people's "go-to" excuse is Lag.. but it doesn't invalidate when it IS the real issue. I've lost count of the times a kill-cam's version of events differs immensly from what happened from my perspective.

Removing stopping power IMHO was a great move in general. One person's gun should be as powerful in his/her hand (...ok "his" - who are we kidding ;)) as in the hand's of the opponent. The propogators of SP will say that it evens the field if they have worse connection, but they are forgetting the person with the better connection can be even better if they select that perk.

The next step is dedicated servers.

Frankly, I don't mind that much getting killed in a fair fight... what makes it fookin infuriating is getting killed in an unfair fight.

I thought UPC was up to 100MB in some places ? I know that the south is pretty ****ing poor when it comes to internet... but still... besides ROI.. nearly every other country in europe that we get matched with in CoD has pretty decent internet.

I agree that dedicated servers would be awesome... but its simply not gonna happen.. at least not with cod. I still reckon within 5 years there will be no need for it on consoles. So its probably better for them to keep improving on what they're doing now.... blame halo...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Magill wrote: »
    I thought UPC was up to 100MB in some places ? I know that the south is pretty ****ing poor when it comes to internet... but still... besides ROI.. nearly every other country in europe that we get matched with in CoD has pretty decent internet.

I agree that dedicated servers would be awesome... but its simply not gonna happen.. at least not with cod. I still reckon within 5 years there will be no need for it on consoles. So its probably better for them to keep improving on what they're doing now.... blame halo...

So therefore there is a need for it until then surely!? I wasn't arguing that it would happen, I'm saying that it 1000% should fookin happen.

Regarding Ireland's Broadband structure..

Eircom's all-hailed "Next Generation Broadband" is 8 meg...

let me say that again - Next Generation = 8 meg! That's the biggest provider of Broadband in Ireland and the one with the monopoly of phone-line access to the web.

And even NGB is not available in plenty of parts of Ireland.

UPC is the alternative, and that is only available to some also!

Broadband in Ireland is a fookin joke. If you are unlucky someday I'll sit you down and it'll be ten pints later before I conclude the story of my war against Eircom to get basic broadband. It makes Mandela's struggle against apartheid pale in comparison (no pun intended!)

We have, according to your estimate (which is conservative in my opinion) up to 5 fookin years of mismatched gaming in the meantime and from someone who buy the games, it's a steaming crock of donkey shít and not good enough! They are making an obscene amount of money and I would love one of the commentators to sit one of the reps of the game down and not let him leave until he sees fooking sense.

/rant

So therefore there is a need for it until then surely!? I wasn't arguing that it would happen, I'm saying that it 1000% should fookin happen.

Regarding Ireland's Broadband structure..

Eircom's all-hailed "Next Generation Broadband" is 8 meg...

let me say that again - Next Generation = 8 meg! That's the biggest provider of Broadband in Ireland and the one with the monopoly of phone-line access to the web.

And even NGB is not available in plenty of parts of Ireland.

UPC is the alternative, and that is only available to some also!

Broadband in Ireland is a fookin joke. If you are unlucky someday I'll sit you down and it'll be ten pints later before I conclude the story of my war against Eircom to get basic broadband. It makes Mandela's struggle against apartheid pale in comparison (no pun intended!)

We have, according to your estimate (which is conservative in my opinion) up to 5 fookin years of mismatched gaming in the meantime and from someone who buy the games, it's a steaming crock of donkey shít and not good enough! They are making an obscene amount of money and I would love one of the commentators to sit one of the reps of the game down and not let him leave until he sees fooking sense.

/rant

You're actually wrong, Eircom do 25Meg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Tallon wrote: »

Eircom's broadband is delivered over your copper phone line typically and that is the constraint. UPC is fibre powered and coax within your house, which can carry more bandwidth.

Eircom do 24mb at the moment, UPC do 100mb. For me it's a no-brainer and cheaper overall.

• Advertisement

"Fight pedantic with pedantic"

(http://www.ngb.ie/) = 24meg. - You're wrong too!

The point I made is that when NGB was first announced (see "all-hailed" comment), and indeed up and until very recently is was 8 meg. This was only changed very recently when their holes were getting kicked by UPC. Surely you are aware of this?

Frankly, I was not aware of the 24 meg because I still haven't gotten fookin 8 meg... which is exactly my point!

@ Enigma - my point is that UPC is not available to alot of people.

Therefore, if you are not elligible for UPC, nor Eircom's upgraded "service", you are stuck in a shíthole by being mismatched with others with better connections and therefore dedicated servers would be the solution.

(Finally drags thread back onto topic... Christ... that was exhausting;)!)

Jaysus, relax. I'm not fighting with you, I have already said it is a joke of an infrastructure.

I meant 24mb, (Typo :)) I have that package, and as most people who play with me here will know, I never get anywhere near that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

@ Enigma - my point is that UPC is not available to alot of people.

Therefore, if you are not elligible for UPC, nor Eircom's upgraded "service", you are stuck in a shíthole by being mismatched with others with better connections and therefore dedicated servers would be the solution.

(Finally drags thread back onto topic... Christ... that was exhausting!)

Your absolutely right, the broadband services and reach in this country are an absolute joke. We're lucky we have options in Dublin and in major cities, but if your outside those areas, it's hit and miss unfortunately. Just ask Shammy !! <joke>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Magill is laughing up north with his good internet.

Jaysus, relax. I'm not fighting with you, I have already said it is a joke of an infrastructure.

I meant 24mb, (Typo :)) I have that package, and as most people who play with me here will know, I never get anywhere near that :(

Wasn't having a massive go - its just I'd typed two detailed posts and then I got your 6 word reply which appeared a little glib :)

Hadn't even thought of that - yours is another valid point - advertised BB speed is almost never what it is claimed to be. So, even if you are lucky enough to be elligible, there's inconsistency.

The point made above is the game would be without a doubt enhanced manyfold by having dedicated servers and there is plenty and I mean plenty of cash there to subsidise it. I for one would definitely pay a subscription for it if need be! hear that IW/Treyarc - more money is available you money grabbing whores :)

To Magill's point re it being an excuse used far too often, surely then that excuse would be removed?*

(* no doubt they'd find another)

• Advertisement

Wasn't having a massive go - its just I'd typed two detailed posts and then I got your 6 word reply which appeared a little glib :)

Yeah, it did appear like that. Sorry mate :o

To Magill's point re it being an excuse used far too often, surely then that excuse would be removed?*

(* no doubt they'd find another)

My point wasn't directed towards console gaming, it was about counterstrike and how lag was the reason people gave when they failed most of the time. CS having probably the best netcode and hit detection of any FPS to date and being a server based fps.

It is a shame that Ireland has 3rd world internet.. but UPC is relatively new (I think ?) so it wouldn't be a major shock if they expand to most homes in a few years right ? (Im not too familar with ze bb situation down south tbh.. I just know its only starting to catch up in some places)

And lol kells :P Your internets better than mine atm ! Cant even ****ing move without getting lag spikes.. stupid wireless.

P.S.. be cool if these posts could be moved into the offtopic ? Poor ghosts thread is getting owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Eircom's broadband is delivered over your copper phone line typically and that is the constraint. UPC is fibre powered and coax within your house, which can carry more bandwidth.

Eircom do 24mb at the moment, UPC do 100mb. For me it's a no-brainer and cheaper overall.

Eircom are planning to deliver fibre optic broadband (doubt it will happen) , even though upc's broadband is not fibre optic , price wise i cant see where the competition will come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Your absolutely right, the broadband services and reach in this country are an absolute joke. We're lucky we have options in Dublin and in major cities, but if your outside those areas, it's hit and miss unfortunately. Just ask Shammy !! <joke>

I'm going to have to go back to eircom if i want to play with ye upc users again :o
    Magill wrote: »
    My point wasn't directed towards console gaming, it was about counterstrike and how lag was the reason people gave when they failed most of the time. CS having probably the best netcode and hit detection of any FPS to date and being a server based fps.

It is a shame that Ireland has 3rd world internet.. but UPC is relatively new (I think ?) so it wouldn't be a major shock if they expand to most homes in a few years right ? (Im not too familar with ze bb situation down south tbh.. I just know its only starting to catch up in some places)

And lol kells :P Your internets better than mine atm ! Cant even ****ing move without getting lag spikes.. stupid wireless.

P.S.. be cool if these posts could be moved into the offtopic ? Poor ghosts thread is getting owned.

For the last 5 years i've rang upc and ask when they are coming to my area , and i'm told the same answer everytime i ring .....Next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Declan Kidney must have some serious money on Scotland to beat Ireland. That or Marc Lievremont has been instructing him on team selection methods.

If I had a pillow, I'd use it on matress mick....

Why? What's wrong with that video?

Why? What's wrong with that video?

It was ****e in fairness, i wouldn't do a commentary for the same reason he shouldn't do commentaries.. just end up talking jibberish and mumbling like he did in that video and most of his videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

AGB_Ghost wrote: »

Enjoyed it, you're sexy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Sprrratt wrote: »
    Enjoyed it, you're sexy

Robert? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Hi Guys, Shaggyyyyy here,

Blahbaifjbasdkfjnaqeifpubasdasdfjbsadfmmn pasdjfnawwkjefbsdkvfberj [koasdnfpiijebfsadvlakwjerb [pasodfnnpiwerjbsdavv [osdnfkjsdanfvwerjbf blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble

shaggy shaggy,

WASN'T ME!

guy is a fukin toss pot, an how machinima give him money for being such a retard is beyond me! shaggy

I've grown to like Mr Bowling tbh... :o

Balfie wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Shaggyyyyy here, AKA GGGGGGGUNIT !!

Blahbaifjbasdkfjnaqeifpubasdasdfjbsadfmmn pasdjfnawwkjefbsdkvfberj [koasdnfpiijebfsadvlakwjerb [pasodfnnpiwerjbsdavv [osdnfkjsdanfvwerjbf blah blah blah Derp blah blah blah blah blah mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble

shaggy shaggy,

WASN'T ME!

guy is a fukin toss pot, an how machinima give him money for being such a retard is beyond me! shaggy

FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement