Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday lunch for a group of 20

Options
  • 20-08-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm trying to find a restaurant in Sligo town that will do a sit down Sunday lunch for a group of 20+. Ideally not a carvery set up as we'd all like to sit together and be served at the same time. Someone said that the Crozon was open again but I'm not sure if thats carvery only on a Sunday. Other suggestions have been Molly Fultons and the Embassy.
    Has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Davis' Restaurant out in Drumcliff is a lovely spot.

Here's there website which has contact info on it also.
    http://www.yeatstavernrestaurant.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Yeah I've eaten there before and its lovely. Only problem is that its a good bit out of town and if people wanted to have a drink they couldn't without paying big money for a taxi. Anywhere more town central?

Hmm.. Caesars on Rockwood parade is lovely. Little Italian place owned and run by actual Italians. Not sure about there limit to heads though.. Also see Limoncello a new italian situated over The Clarence but I can't recommend the place as I've never eaten there. They aredoing loads of advertising now though and a man was outside offering some pizza to people and although I didn't try any it did look very aunthentic!
    Also heard great reviews for the new Italian place in Strandhill Bellevista.

Jade Garden situated in Strandhill is absolutely gorgeous if you're looking for a nice chinese/thai restaurant.

Here's some links that might help.

Caesar's Sligo
    http://sligocaesar.com/

Limoncello
    http://www.limoncello.ie/

Belle Vista
    http://www.bellavista.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

What about the Glasshouse??? it wouldn't be overly busy on a sunday. The food isn't too bad either, you can't get more central and they'll be loadsa space.

Thanks for the replies. I ate in Limoncello a few weeks ago and it was one of the most disgusting un-authentic Italian dinners I've ever had, so we won't be going there I don't think! :pac:
    Bella Vista is nice, but also out of town, as is Jade Garden :(
    Glasshouse is meant to be nice. I suggested it but was met with a few 'Oh, I don't like their food' replies.
    I'm dealing with a fussy crowd :rolleyes: Does anyone know if any of the other town central hotels or restaurants do a set Sunday lunch menu? That way it'd keep all the fuss pots happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I would imagine most of them would be delighted to get a group that size and could organise a lunch menu for you. Give a few of them a call.

I would imagine most of them would be delighted to get a group that size and could organise a lunch menu for you. Give a few of them a call.
    I guess thats true! Thanks for the idea TMB!
    Why do I get myself involved in the organising of things like this? I must be a glutton for punishment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

What about Fiddlers' Creek? Ive eaten there plenty of times and can't fault the food or service. The restaurant is nicely tucked away from the pub part and has a lovely atmosphere.

What about Fiddlers' Creek? Ive eaten there plenty of times and can't fault the food or service. The restaurant is nicely tucked away from the pub part and has a lovely atmosphere.
    I'm ringing them back tomorrow as the girl that deals with large parties was off for the weekend. I like the place as well so I think it may be a strong possibility. Was told yesterday though that one of the people coming has some relation to a person who would do us a minibus so Bella Vista in Strandhill may well be a option too. I think the girl told me on the phone they're 20 euro for 3 courses+tea/coffee which is a good deal imho

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

It's most likely too late if you've already eaten today, but you should check out the "silver apple" over the railway bar opposite the bus station..

excellent food at a reasonable price served by friendly staff.

• Advertisement

GG66 wrote: »
    It's most likely too late if you've already eaten today, but you should check out the "silver apple" over the railway bar opposite the bus station..

excellent food at a reasonable price served by friendly staff.
    Nope, not till next Sunday hopefully. I'll give them a ring tomorrow, I totally forgot about them. Cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Makeup

What about Tobbergal Lane in tobbergal lane, obviously - they have a lovely Sunday lunch with Jazz music. Haven't been myself but have heard that it's a great afternoon's entertainment?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

How about The Embassy? You can't really get much more central than that and I've been in it numerous times in groups of 20+
    Food has always been grand, and they did a reasonably good deal for me about a year ago when there was about 35 of us in for an evening meal.

Booked the Fiddlers today for next Sunday. They did us a great deal, so hopefully it'll be nice. Cheers everyone for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for the next time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

was just about to suggest the Crozon. was there 2/3 weeks ago just out with my mam and aunt on a sunday, and we got served carvery lunch (chicken/soup/spuds etc). very nice too. tasted even better when we realised that the cashier only charged us for 2 dinners instead of 3 :D

whiteman19 wrote: »
    was just about to suggest the Crozon. was there 2/3 weeks ago just out with my mam and aunt on a sunday, and we got served carvery lunch (chicken/soup/spuds etc). very nice too. tasted even better when we realised that the cashier only charged us for 2 dinners instead of 3 :D
    Haha I love when that happens! Myself and the OH had dinner one night in the Fiddlers (coincidentally as thats where we're going) and they never charged us for our bottle of wine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

terlywerly wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I ate in Limoncello a few weeks ago and it was one of the most disgusting un-authentic Italian dinners I've ever had,

Allways amused at people's own descriptions of authentic italian food

fionntan g wrote: »

I'd like to think I have a relatively accurate opinion on what is aunthentic and what isn't, as I did live the vast majority of my childhood in the country.
    Then in saying that, it's a bit of a silly assumption all of us make time to time to ASSUME a restaurant will be good, just because a native of that country runs it..
    Just like there's a fair few sh!t Irish cooks, i'm sure there's one or two floating around Italy.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was about to suggest the Silver Apple too,lovely food. The Embassy is nice too,we were there a few times when it was a large group,definately no complaints. Mind you,can't fault Fiddlers too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

Lornen wrote: »
    I'd like to think I have a relatively accurate opinion on what is aunthentic and what isn't, as I did live the vast majority of my childhood in the country.
    Then in saying that, it's a bit of a silly assumption all of us make time to time to ASSUME a restaurant will be good, just because a native of that country runs it..
    Just like there's a fair few sh!t Irish cooks, i'm sure there's one or two floating around Italy.. :)

what i meant what was the most italian dishes have being heavy westernised by italian americans so the tag "Authentic" may have a few different meanings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

we went to the 20course dinner event in the limoncello and i thought it was good enough.
    i have to agree that even looking at the menu i would expect to see other dishes on it, but maybe they dont want to be too italian or it has something to do with the fact that the owner is from sardinia(i think, could be wrong)?
    the food was tasty and well seasoned, a nice change to all the bland food in other restaurants in sligo
    we got some pizza delivered too and it was the most italian pizza i ever had in sligo(nice thin crust and not overloaded with toppings, just the way you would get it in italy)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

what i meant what was the most italian dishes have being heavy westernised by italian americans so the tag "Authentic" may have a few different meanings

the best example is pizza:
    most restaurants think the more on it the better.
    i dont agree with that at all, there is nothing worse than an overloaded cheesy greasy pizza with a thick doughy base
    guess it all comes from america

Lornen wrote: »
    I lived in Italy for a while too a few years back so I know what a good Italian dish should taste like. I didn't know the restaurant was run by an Italian native either. Maybe they were just having a bad night in there.
    The Fiddlers was absolutely perfect for dinner, they did us a great deal and everyone came away happy :)

Advertisement