Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB laser card in NZ

Options
  • 20-08-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Im actually having a good bit of trouble finding out if my laser(maestro) card will work in NZ so I can take cash out!
    Can anyone give me an answer on this?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I was iN Auckland 2 years ago and my Maestro / Laser would not work. AT the time it had worked previously every where else in the world I had visited. A German internet cafe manager advised me they were in the dark ages there in that regard.

Further to this my ANZ the "NZ" standing for, well NEW ZEALAND !! EFTPOS
    ( Laser ) did not work either.

Totally unrelated Auckland reminded me of Dublin in the late 80s / early 90s, not impressed ! unfortunately I did not get to get out of the city to the outdoors which I am sure would have redeemed my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

It does indeed work. I was in NZ for June and July and my AIB Laser card worked fine at all ATM's but I couldn't check my balance so i had to do that through Internet banking.

Try using a Westpac ATM because then you are not charged fees. Every other bank, ANZ, BNZ etc all charged fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I wouldn't mind the laser/maestro function not working but as long as one can withdraw cash at an ATM alls good.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I was iN Auckland 2 years ago and my Maestro / Laser would not work. AT the time it had worked previously every where else in the world I had visited. A German internet cafe manager advised me they were in the dark ages there in that regard.

Further to this my ANZ the "NZ" standing for, well NEW ZEALAND !! EFTPOS
    ( Laser ) did not work either.

Totally unrelated Auckland reminded me of Dublin in the late 80s / early 90s, not impressed ! unfortunately I did not get to get out of the city to the outdoors which I am sure would have redeemed my trip.

Lol. They do work. Sounds like user error to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Laser is a uniquely Irish system and does not work anywhere else.

Maestro is a global system and if your card has that symbol on it then you can use it in machines that have the Maesto symbol on them. You will find plenty of these ATM's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JFeathers

The best way to be sure is to check with the bank that issued your card before you travel.

Advertisement