Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to be a moderator? (just a question not an invite)

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Me a Mod? Dont be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Of course, so i could turn on the bold writing, and have some authoriteh when i say.

All your base are belong to us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

niallo24 wrote: »
    How do you become a mod out of interest? What is the criteria/process??

American Football mods have to wear helmet, shoulder pads, thigh pads, knee pads, neck rolls, elbow pads, hip pads, tailbone pads, rib pads, mouth guards, and a jockstrap (if you are male).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Nope I already get paid f**k all for the job I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bw wrote: »
    I'd like to be mod for a day, just to see what it feels like.

First, I would look at my name in bold, and admire the boldness of it.

I'd probably have to ban someone. As its my first banning, I would have to reword my post 50 times before I am happy that its exactly in that mod tone.

Then calm a thread down with some bold writing in a way that's clear and authoritative, yet still makes sure I am seen as one of the lads.

I'd then go into the sex & sexuality forum just to see if there's anything in there that is worth looking at. I'd walk in all mature, cuz I'm a mod, but really only want to see if there's bewbs or pee pee related stuff.

I'd make a few posts in the forums I normally frequent, but with less smileys, and a touch more maturity. I am still one of the lads though.

I would then read my inbox of people whinging at me, and spend hours rifling through charters, and previous warnings to prove why I am right.

At the end of the day, when its taken away from me, I would feel really deflated, like I got demoted. But after a while, I'd be fine.

I'd then be one of those out-to-pasture-mods who used to be a mod ages ago, who are not anymore, but post in that way that still says: "I used to be a mod, I just don't want to be anymore"

Very accurate.

I enjoy Mod'ing, but I've a genuine interest in the subjects of both forum I moderate.

But it can be a real pain at times, and if you want to be a power hungry moderator be prepared for a lot of time justifying your actions to the Admin (and members).

You've to watch your back 24/7 and before editing, deleting, issuing warnings/infractions/bannings you've to look at it from every angle and be 100% that your actions are correct - because one mistake and your hauled over the coals.. Guys, member's have as much (and sometimes more) power than a moderator and can make a moderators online life a nightmare - some have turned it into an art form.

Even offline and in real life I've been called upon to justify something I've done - and unlike 99% of moderators on boards - I usually end up fighting my members in real life :p - except the Dublin forum, they're not that stupid :D

Our behaviour away from our forum is expected to be above reproach by the Admin. Some take it seriously, I like to think I'm well behaved in other people's forum.

Only bonus is we're regularly sent naked photos of the female members in return for favours :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

you wouldn't want me as a moderator.

In fairness I'd rather Neil before Zod anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

i'd love to have a crack at modding fitness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

But it can be a real pain at times, and if you want to be a power hungry moderator be prepared for a lot of time justifying your actions to the Admin (and members).

You've to watch your back 24/7 and before editing, deleting, issuing warnings/infractions/bannings you've to look at it from every angle and be 100% that your actions are correct - because one mistake and your hauled over the coals..
    We've all seen mods who take a dislike to a poster and infract/warn them for nothing, make comments onthread that a normal poster would not get away with and allow other members post about them things which again would get them a ban if they were directed at another poster.

(esp if that mod knows the poster from RL and dislikes them there too :rolleyes:)

I'd hate to be a mod. I'm not on here enough anyway. Any forum would go to ruin :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

If I were a moderator:

1. I wouldn't enter into heated debates on the board I was moderating. The only comments I would make would be observations.

2. I would stick to the rules and perform clinical decisions that are the same for everyone. For me it would be an extremely straightforward job because I wouldn't bring any sort of "judgement" or "personality" to it.

3. I wouldn't enter into debates on whether I should allow this or that post, I would just either leave it or take it down. Moderators shouldn't be going around trying to influence people based on their own sensibilities, with the threat of deleting posts to back them up.

4. I would in no way consider my job to be too "important" and I would let anything that wasn't a clear violation pass.

5. Realise that I dont own the forum and thats others have different opinions and should be allowed to express them

6. Try not to completely kill off the forum and turn it into their own personal opinion

7. learn from those mods who do their job excellently and realise its the contributers that make the forum a success.

8. dont hold grudges

then i think you'd have a really good moderator which most are!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whispered wrote: »
    We've all seen mods who take a dislike to a poster and infract/warn them for nothing, make comments onthread that a normal poster would not get away with and allow other members post about them things which again would get them a ban if they were directed at another poster.

(esp if that mod knows the poster from RL and dislikes them there too :rolleyes:)

I'd hate to be a mod. I'm not on here enough anyway. Any forum would go to ruin :D

Yup, I've seen moderators like that in action too.

Usually upon meeting them IRL they're pricks in the flesh as well as online!.

But seriously, if a member (and its happens to mods too) has a genuine problem with a moderator there are channels which you can use to bring your complaint to the right people - and honestly you are listened to, and the fact someone is a moderator lends absolutely no weight what so ever in a dispute if you involve a C.mod.

But this is getting away from the thread topic, and really isn't within my remit at all. Just don't feel like there's a 'them & us' - we (moderators) wouldn't be allowed get away with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't mind ones I care about or quietish ones, or cmod/admin type jobs. But not a very busy AH type forum. Not that I modded it when I modded it :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

id love to be a mod in the music forums :) dont think the "power" would go to my head haha i like all music of any kinds and i se both sides of arguments but not so much in other forums so thats why i would suite the music forum :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Permabanned for Back seat Modding.
    Served with legal papers for breach of bold mod warnings copyright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

You've to watch your back 24/7 and before editing, deleting, issuing warnings/infractions/bannings you've to look at it from every angle and be 100% that your actions are correct
    Yeah good point. Thats the part of the job that would take the fun out of boards - for me anyway.

It doesn't apply to everyone, there's a level of satisfaction to putting effort back into a community, real or virtual.

It's a volunteer job: not in it for the money, the recognition, or the power, just a good feeling of giving something back to a community. The end result shows in the success of boards.

Again, not a job I could do, but hats off to those who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Was before, would only do it again if it was for a forum I really cared about. Being the good guy 24/7 sucks the fun out of boards.

Oh and the occasional cnuts who just won't shut up really test your patience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

I would want to be the moderator of the 'where in the world is waldo larry murphy' forum when it opens soon:pac:

Advertisement