Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing - found bag of herbs

Options
  • 20-08-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

Hi

Unsure if this is the correct forum for this so apologies if it needs to be moved.

I recently moved in with new housemates. I knew one of them smoked but never in the house. I found a small bag of 'herbs' on the kitchen counter this morning. I've never had any contact with this kind of thing before and I'm very very worried. I don't even know what it is

I'm just not sure what to do? Should I say something and if so what? Or is it just none of my business?

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

lol whats it smell and look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Its really up to you.

Is it a big deal?
    Maybe you could say you don't care what he/she does but would prefer if he didn't leave it lying around shared areas.

On the other hand if you don't agree with it maybe consider moving out.
    Some people would not be comfortable living with folks that use drugs no matter which drug. Different strokes...

I wouldn't worry too much about it either way.
    If its just small amount and for personal use, don't be expecting a garda drug raid on the house anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

if anything did happen, just say you thought it was tobacco for rollies:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It could be parsley and thyme? Roll it and smoke it and see what you think you should do then.

More seriously, don't be too worried. I don't smoke, it's not my type of high at all, but I know plenty who do. It would only be a concern to me if it was excessive, or impacting you in some way. As it stands from your post, it seems you had no idea. So what's the problem? If he starts eating all your food, refusing to get off the couch and giggling like a moron when you try to speak to him, then you have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Hi

I've never had any contact with this kind of thing before and I'm very very worried. I don't even know what it is.

I'm just not sure what to do?
    Thanks

Get a bong going. That way you'll both know what it is and stop worrying. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Mind your own ****ing business is what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Or is it just none of my business?
    That one

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

Pace2008 wrote: »

Why on earth would anyone be thanking someone for the above quote. It's uncalled for amongst other things.

Why on earth would anyone be thanking someone for the above quote. It's uncalled for amongst other things.
    I didn't mean to be insulting, but tell me this: would you be worried if you found a can of Heineken in your housemate's room?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sprinkle them on your sandwich and thank your housemate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

it is their business, they're renting the house.

OP, if you don't want to be involved with it, or involved in people who do it in the same house as you, then you should move out, or ask them to move out, depending on lease type. If there's an issue from landlord or other person, I'm sure illegal drug use is against the lease you signed

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

I didn't mean to be insulting, but tell me this: would you be worried if you found a can of Heineken in your housemate's room?

A can of Heineken isn't illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Bing_IRL wrote: »

Depends what age you are:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I don't think this is a big deal but...

Beer isn't an illegal substance.

The "herbs" were not in the housemate's room.

Would you be worried if you found a penguin in your ex-wife's castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

sh1t i hope you dont live with me....

and if you do, leave my "herbs" where you found them... i was in a rush this morning...

if your against smoking pot, get your stuff and go live with some other zealots that are against smoking the herb.

your in the minority of people that have problem with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

sh1t i hope you dont live with me....

and if you do, leave my "herbs" where you found them... i was in a rush this morning...

if your against smoking pot, get your stuff and go live with some other zealots that are against smoking the herb.

your in the minority of people that have problem with it :)

The person who smokes the pot is the one who is breaking the law.

I couldn't give a crap if people smoke or not, but you're not amazing for doing it. It's a gateway drug to Pink Floyd and self righteousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Hi

Hello.
    I found a small bag of 'herbs' on the kitchen counter this morning.

You found herbs in a kitchen. Are you 100% sure these are illegal herbs? I don't know anyone who keeps their "herbs" in the kitchen.

Also, if they are definately smokeable herbs are you sure they are illegal ones? They could be "legal highs" like Spice or Smoke or something. Or are they illegal now too? The bans move so quickly it's hard to keep up. By the time I finish this post the coke I'm drinking may be outlawed.

Pace2008's wasn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I couldn't give a crap if people smoke or not, but you're not amazing for doing it. It's a gateway drug to Pink Floyd and self righteousness.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

In fairness i'd rather live with a stoner, than a drinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Hi

Unsure if this is the correct forum for this so apologies if it needs to be moved.

I recently moved in with new housemates. I knew one of them smoked but never in the house. I found a small bag of 'herbs' on the kitchen counter this morning. I've never had any contact with this kind of thing before and I'm very very worried. I don't even know what it is

I'm just not sure what to do? Should I say something and if so what? Or is it just none of my business?

Thanks
    If it was in a moneybag it may be cannabis. If it was in a commercial looking bag then maybe he just likes a but of thyme. (Hint, is there and empty box of thyme in the cupboard?)

• Advertisement

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    No, but a few tins would be more conductive to erratic or aggressive behaviour than the old herbal refreshment, and personally that would be of more concern to me. If they were running a wholesale weed-growing operation and having you tend their plants I'd be worried but it sounds like they're keeping their use private and I think you should respect their privacy once they do likewise. I doubt you'd harbour similar concerns if you found they were downloading torrents.

If you're even considering reporting this to the authorities, don't - I doubt the Gardaí would appreciate a callout over an eighth of smoke, and you could be setting a decent person up for a career-ruining criminal record.

It would be advisable to keep any tasty snacks you've bought under lock and key, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Empty the bag out and put some cooking herbs in the bag ( Do Not throw away real content ) .

Then put the bag back where you found it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

He found them in the kitchen. Yes, there was a bag of illegal drugs on the kitchen table. If the Gardai raided the flat he would have been arrested.

Saying all that... it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my flatmate was a stoner. The smoking in the flat woudl bother me (sensitive lungs!) but what he puts in his body is his own business...

He found them in the kitchen. Yes, there was a bag of illegal drugs on the kitchen table. If the Gardai raided the flat he would have been arrested.
    The Gardaí would not be raiding the flat unless someone had reported a crime.
    Saying all that... it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my flatmate was a stoner. The smoking in the flat woudl bother me (sensitive lungs!) but what he puts in his body is his own business...
    I agree, they shouldn't be smoking in the same room as someone who has a problem with it, but by the sound of things this isn't happening.

WIZE wrote: »
    Empty the bag out and put some cooking herbs in the bag ( Do Not throw away real content ) .

Then put the bag back where you found it :)
    Don't let the contents touch your skin though, it'll absorb into your bloodstream and you'll be out of your biccy for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Don't let the contents touch your skin though, it'll absorb into your bloodstream and you'll be out of your biccy for hours.

lol .

I think you should mix some Thyme will a small amount of Chilli Powder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

IF you found a mess of it on the kitchen table and IF you found a weighing scales and IF you found individual bags and IF it actually was a big bag.

You might actually have some cause for concern, but IF you actually read the post properly you would see that a small bag was found.

No Gardai are going to be raiding any house on suspicion of personal use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Or they suspected to find something illegal, ie: drugs, illegal activity etc etc etc etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just **** it in the bin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

While this is logical and does make sense it's not always as simple as that. For example, if there was a fire the firemen would be out. If they were to see something suspicious they would inform the gardai. This happened to someone I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement