Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing - found bag of herbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Victor wrote: »
    I think you are wrong and most people will disagree with you.

Just becuase one doesn't own the property doesn't mean it isn't their home.

I'm more on about the sharing aspect as opposed to the owning of the property. OP is sharing and that brings different situations into the equation

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

okay, OP you or anyone else here for that DO NOT KNOW if these are illegal drugs.

we live in an age recession BUT we also live in an age where growing things at home is cool i.e. tomatoes making your own beer etc.

now, a number of my friends are growing tobacco - are you sure its not home grown tobacco ?

one friend is growing cigar tobacco and another is growing a hybrid of golden virginia and something else which is supposed to and is working well in this climate.

now, i also grow a lot of herbs i.e. rosemary, sage, parsley and thyme in my garden, i dry them out and pass them around to friends, as do the tobacco growers.

people, the answer isnt always the most obvious one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    A can of Heineken isn't illegal!

Show me someone who reckons they never break the law and ill show you a self deluded hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

What are you basing this on?

a) The fact that I know several people who have been caught with cannabis by the Gardaí, none of whom were arrested, never mind charged. The cannabis was confiscated and that was the end of it.

b) Conversations with Gardaí confirming that prosecuting basic possession charges isn't worth the time.
    When you are raised respectably, you don't know a whole lot about these things.

In that case, I'd call it raised in ignorance.
    Victor wrote: »
    Many people are uncomfortable with recreational drugs and shouldn't have to deal with them in their own home if they don't want to.

Alcohol is also a recreational drug. And jaywalking is illegal, if you're going to bring up the point of cannabis being illegal. I'd imagine most people would find it very unusual for someone they lived with to be uncomfortable with anyone partaking in either. Similarly, most people would find it unusual for someone they lived with to be uncomfortable with anyone partaking in cannabis (assuming this is in fact what the OP found).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Monderator

You do know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. If I knew enough about it I would not have asked the question. When you are raised respectably, you don't know a whole lot about these things.

Im a moderator on the magic forum, I'm just a regular poster here.

I'm not being sarcastic in any way, and the bit you quoted wasnt directed at you but at the people giving you "advice". My point stands, that a small bag of weed (if its that) is not a big deal. Perhaps say to him you'd prefer if he didnt leave it lying around as you might have friends over etc, but don't worry about legalities etc. Have a read up on marijuana. Its a much lesser evil than alcohol, and has been villianised over the years by poor law-making. If you're uncomfortable about it being in the public areas, ask him casually if he'd keep it hidden abit more, but don't worry about any legal implications, it's not going to get you in trouble in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

Monderator

You do know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit..

I always found that this is said by people who don't understand sarcasm or just can't think of something witty to say in return.

OP - you obviously have no idea what weed looks like hence your post, in which case ask your housemate. My mum came back from india with a weird variety of herbs in bags which turned out to be various types of tea, it could be something as harmless as that. I would not just throw it in the bin even if it is an illegal substance it's still their property. If it makes you uncomfortable having it in the house hopefully your housemate will be kind enough to respect your wishes.

• What are you basing this on?

My comments are based on first hand knowledge. It's not an opinion. It's something I have seen numerous times.

There are risks when you associate with people who leave bags of cannabis around shared property. Saying otherwise is incorrect and frankly irresponsible.

+1. It's irresponsible and unfair on the rest of the house. I don't have a problem with people taking illegal drugs or keeping them in their possession. I DO have a huge problem with people leaving them lying around in shared areas.
    zuroph wrote: »
    so honestly, with 4 seperate lodgers in a house, the gardaí bust in for whatever reason, and find a half used 50 bag, they're cuffing and bringing every person down to the station??

shenanigans.

Something quite similar happened in my house once. We didn't all get arrested in the end, but I was pretty damn angry that I had a policeman interrogating me in my own room for something my ignorant, selfish flatmate had thoughtlessly left lying around.

+1. It's irresponsible and unfair on the rest of the house. I don't have a problem with people taking illegal drugs or keeping them in their possession. I DO have a huge problem with people leaving them lying around in shared areas.

Something quite similar happened in my house once. We didn't all get arrested in the end, but I was pretty damn angry that I had a policeman interrogating me in my own room for something my ignorant, selfish flatmate had thoughtlessly left lying around.

so as you said, you didnt get arrested. And why were the gardaí searching your house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

While this is logical and does make sense it's not always as simple as that. For example, if there was a fire the firemen would be out. If they were to see something suspicious they would inform the gardai. This happened to someone I know.

You are obviously taking the piss but funny none the less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I did read the post. It seems you don't understand the law.

IF the gardai raided the house (for whatever reasons) the OP would be arrested.

Here is the law:

MISUSE OF DRUGS ACT, 1977

19.—(1) A person who is the occupier or is in control or is concerned in the management of any land, vehicle or vessel and who knowingly permits or suffers any of the following to take place on the land, vehicle or vessel, namely—

( c ) the preparation of cannabis for smoking,

shall be guilty of an offence.

You don't have to apologise; I accept I am simply smarter than you.

Clearly arrogant and ignorant a dangerous combination.

Tell me this Einstein, are you aware that each time you exit through the doors of the pub after a few pints that you are breaking the law? Have you been arrested yet? I would advise that you avoid all pubs from now on as you are at high risk of facing arrest...just like the OP is :rolleyes:

OP - Can I ask what your initial inclination was when you found the bag?
    (before you thought I should post this on boards)

Personally I don't smoke but many moons ago I did, if I was in your position I would simply ask the owner of the bag if it was an illegal substance and if so, could he please ensure that it's not left in the communal areas as you could potentially be implicated, tell him your Mother could have been visiting and it would have put you in a very bad light, just an example. (don't say, if the Gardai came into the house)

Unfortunately he did make it your business by leaving the bag in plain view in the kitchen, which isn't fair. Simply tell him that if he chooses to smoke, then to please ensure he keeps it in his private quarters and that he refrains from using it in communal areas of the property. I'm guessing he does this normally as this is the first time it's come to your attention, so if that's the case this is probably a one off slip up on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

OP I would definitly call the Gardai. If he's capable of leaving a small bag of weed what else is he capable of? Ask yourself this..I read in a magazine that people who smoke weed are 5 times more likely to murder than the general population. So basically you are living with not just a dope smoker but also a potential murderer. And rapist. And probably a Paedophile.

Also I know this person who was caught with the makings of just one spliff, yes one spliff and he was sentenced to 6 years hard labour. After he was arrested the Gardai carried out a pre-dawn raid on his house and took in everyone who was living there, even his dog. They were done for being accessories to the crime and got banged up for 12 years each. Last I heard the dog developed a serious heroin addiction down in Portlaoise prison.

So OP, living with this guy could result in you becoming a heroin addict! Think about it...

ebixa82 wrote: »
    OP I would definitly call the Gardai. If he's capable of leaving a small bag of weed what else is he capable of? Ask yourself this..I read in a magazine that people who smoke weed are 5 times more likely to murder than the general population. So basically you are living with not just a dope smoker but also a potential murderer. And rapist. And probably a Paedophile.

Also I know this person who was caught with the makings of just one spliff, yes one spliff and he was sentenced to 6 years hard labour. After he was arrested the Gardai carried out a pre-dawn raid on his house and took in everyone who was living there, even his dog. They were done for being accessories to the crime and got banged up for 12 years each. Last I heard the dog developed a serious heroin addiction down in Portlaoise prison.

So OP, living with this guy could result in you becoming a heroin addict! Think about it...

:D AND they shot his granny. Could you LIVE with that?!?!

• zuroph wrote: »
    so as you said, you didnt get arrested. And why were the gardaí searching your house?

It was in Spain, but the situation wasn't any different. Nobody was searching the house. There was a weird man hanging around our apartment block who had threatened two girls, and the police were going around to everyone for a chat and to give advice/information. One of the flatmates let them in and they saw the drugs lying in the middle of the sitting room. It's not as unlucky as you seem to think it is, I can think of about 3 times when the Gardai visited for one reason or another, including once in student halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Samba wrote: »
    Tell me this Einstein
    ebixa82 wrote: »
    :D AND they shot his granny. Could you LIVE with that?!?!
    I've asked for constructive posts, this isn't constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

so honestly, with 4 seperate lodgers in a house, the gardaí bust in for whatever reason, and find a half used 50 bag, they're cuffing and bringing every person down to the station??
    FruitLover wrote: »
    a) The fact that I know several people who have been caught with cannabis by the Gardaí, none of whom were arrested, never mind charged. The cannabis was confiscated and that was the end of it.

b) Conversations with Gardaí confirming that prosecuting basic possession charges isn't worth the time.

I work in the area of criminal law. I have seen cases like the OPs numerous times.

As stated, if the Gardai were to raid the house, the OP would be arrested (or at least should be arrested, obviously I am not going to comment on Gardai who turn a blind eye to certain criminal activity).

As stated, I don't personally have an issue with marijuana, and I appreciate there are many people posting here who think it should be legalised and hence have a skewed opinion on this issue, but the facts of the matter remain that the OP would liable for prosecution under the MISUSE OF DRUGS ACT, 1977.

The risk of being caught is irrelevant. The OP should be told the facts so she can make up her own mind.

• I work in the area of criminal law. I have seen cases like the OPs numerous times.

As stated, if the Gardai were to raid the house, the OP would be arrested (or at least should be arrested, obviously I am not going to comment on Gardai who turn a blind eye to certain criminal activity).

As stated, I don't personally have an issue with marijuana, and I appreciate there are many people posting here who think it should be legalised and hence have a skewed opinion on this issue, but the facts of the matter remain that the OP would liable for prosecution under the MISUSE OF DRUGS ACT, 1977.

The risk of being caught is irrelevant. The OP should be told the facts so she can make up her own mind.

+1. I can't get over how incredibly childish some people are being, coming across as more naive than even the OP. It's an illegal substance. Anything else is irrelevant. If an illegal substance is found in a communal area, the whole house is blamed. Sure, the guards probably won't see it, but I wouldn't want to be taking that risk. Perhaps if people would grow up, get some cop on and respect for their housemates and stop leaving their sh*t lying around, the OP wouldn't even have to be thinking about this?

I work in the area of criminal law. I have seen cases like the OPs numerous times.

Strictly speaking yes, but as I've pointed out, strictly speaking you shouldn't be in the street having consumed alcohol in this country either.

What are the laws relating to the Gardai raiding the house, on what grounds can they obtain a warrant to do so?

You're implying that the Gardai could obtain a search warrant to raid the house based on a suspicion of illegal narcotics for personal consumption.

Can you point out a case to me where a property was raided on the suspicion of personal consumption of illegal substances here in Ireland? Where subsequent prosecutions were made based on small quantities being found?

For the record Izzy your example is null and void, entirely different jurisdiction and it holds no bearing whatsoever to the OPs situation. I can tell you similar stories about the United Arab Emirates but they are entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

It's odd because Spain effectively decriminalised cannabis/marijuana some time ago, are you sure this was not another substance they found...something they would take far more seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

I never realised that people who are posting saying that this is a huge issue actually existed any more. I mean I am pretty shocked that any one would hold this postion, as I find it quite hard to understand.

Sure greater tact should have been used with housemates you may not know very well, but to think that any major crime is taking place here is completely ridiculous.

You will not get arrested for being in possesion of a banned natural sedative for personal use. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. On the scale of things possesion of Marajuna for personal use is so far down the list crimes that no guard will enact the letter of the law. The amount of time wasted on processing the arrest etc, would be a horrific waste of valuable police time. I think we can all agree that time would be better spent policing actions which have a far higher negative affect on society.

OP if you have an issue with seeing herbs in your house which is fair enough, tell them and just ask the person to be more discreet. The owner most likely doesn't realise your discomfort on the issue, and will understand your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Just smoke them.

• Samba wrote: »
    Strictly speaking yes, but as I've pointed out, strictly speaking you shouldn't be in the street having consumed alcohol in this country either.

What are the laws relating to the Gardai raiding the house, on what grounds can they obtain a warrant to do so?

You're implying that the Gardai could obtain a search warrant to raid the house based on a suspicion of illegal narcotics for personal consumption.

Can you point out a case to me where a property was raided on the suspicion of personal consumption of illegal substances here in Ireland? Where subsequent prosecutions were made based on small quantities being found?

For the record Izzy your example is null and void, entirely different jurisdiction and it holds no bearing whatsoever to the OPs situation. I can tell you similar stories about the United Arab Emirates but they are entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

It's odd because Spain effectively decriminalised cannabis/marijuana some time ago, are you sure this was not another substance they found...something they would take far more seriously?

I was giving an example of how/why the police might enter your house without specifically raiding it. It can happen in Ireland as easily as it can happen in Spain, some flatmate saying 'sure c'mon in!' forgetting about the bag of drugs on the table (or not knowing about it). Or even the landlord seeing it, he/she might not be too happy about it and blame everyone. Plenty of reasons not to leave drugs lying around.

And I know several people who were arrested for marijuana possession in Ireland. For personal use. And now they can't travel to America. But believe what you like.

• Advertisement

I was giving an example of how/why the police might enter your house without specifically raiding it. It can happen in Ireland as easily as it can happen in Spain, some flatmate saying 'sure c'mon in!' forgetting about the bag of drugs on the table (or not knowing about it). Or even the landlord seeing it, he/she might not be too happy about it and blame everyone. Plenty of reasons not to leave drugs lying around.

And I know several people who were arrested for marijuana possession in Ireland. For personal use. And now they can't travel to America. But believe what you like.

You're trolling right?

These people you know. They must have had previous offences to hold a permanent criminal record because no one in Ireland these days gets a permanent record for a first time offence for possession of a small amount of cannabis/marijuana.

I'm not debating whether or not it's right to leave it around the communal area, I've already stated that it's not on and unfair on the other parties.

You're talking nonsense and you are misconstruing facts and omitting details to suit your argument and you're essentially scaremongering the OP.

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    You will not get arrested for being in possesion of a banned natural sedative for personal use. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.

What are you basing this on? The fact that you and your mates have never been arrested?

Please see post 76 (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67581813&postcount=76)

What are you basing this on? The fact that you and your mates have never been arrested?

Please see post 76 (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67581813&postcount=76)

OP is not in possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Samba wrote: »

Can you point out a case to me where a property was raided on the suspicion of personal consumption of illegal substances here in Ireland? Where subsequent prosecutions were made based on small quantities being found

I know of one cas where the guards came looking for someone and that person wasn't in the house. They found some hash and arrested the other housemate for 'allowing' it

I can't remember how much was involved but you shouldn't let your flatmate leave any lying around.

OP is not in possession.

I was pointing out my comments are not based on anecdotal evidence.

I was pointing out my comments are not based on anecdotal evidence.

just based on an unenforced law. If gardaí ahve arrested someone for being in the same house as someone else who had a 50 bag, you can be damn sure they kicked in that door looking for ANY reason to arrest the occupants, and there is something else behind it.

just based on an unenforced law. If gardaí ahve arrested someone for being in the same house as someone else who had a 50 bag, you can be damn sure they kicked in that door looking for ANY reason to arrest the occupants, and there is something else behind it.

The law is not unenforced. I appreciate you don't know anyone arrested for having a bag of grass on them, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I've seen it not enforced. I've not seen it enforced, but the people I hang around with arent targets the gardaí would want to bring in. I suspect it enforced on people the gardaí wish to frstrate, for other reasons.

I've seen it not enforced. I've not seen it enforced, but the people I hang around with arent targets the gardaí would want to bring in. I suspect it enforced on people the gardaí wish to frstrate, for other reasons.

Good luck to you if you want to break the law in the hope that it won't be enforced, but it's quite disturbing that so many people are so confidently advising the OP that not only is she at no risk at all, but that the Gardai don't even arrest people for drug possession. But I guess that's what happens when you ask a bunch of strangers for an opinion.

I am surprised this sort of break-the-law advice is tolerated by the moderators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Thats quite a big persumption you have made there. Why would I be arrested, or my mates? Are you trying to imply that I smoke Marajuana?

I stand by my original point, in a vacuum, police will not arrest someone for possesion of Marajuana for personal consumption. It will be extremely difficult to disprove my opinion so I am willing to aggree to disagree. However if you wish to try, be my guest. But please refrain from making false personal persumptions of me as a basis for your arguement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement