Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing - found bag of herbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Good luck to you if you want to break the law in the hope that it won't be enforced, but it's quite disturbing that so many people are so confidently advising the OP that not only is she at no risk at all, but that the Gardai don't even arrest people for drug possession. But I guess that's what happens when you ask a bunch of strangers for an opinion.

the cops arent coming in my door. at least, they havent in the 27 years of my life. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    Thats quite a big persumption you have made there. Why would I be arrested, or my mates? Are you trying to imply that I smoke Marajuana?

I stand by my original point, in a vacuum, police will not arrest someone for possesion of Marajuana for personal consumption. It will be extremely difficult to disprove my opinion so I am willing to aggree to disagree. However if you wish to try, be my guest. But please refrain from making false personal persumptions of me as a basis for your arguement.

The law is clear. The OP is commiting a crime by allowing marijuana in her home. If you don't understand that, that's fine, but please refrain from giving incorrect advice which could lead to someone's life being ruined.
    Ben Hadad wrote:
    You will not get arrested for being in possesion of a banned natural sedative for personal use. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.

I stand by my original point, in a vacuum, police will not arrest someone for possesion of Marajuana for personal consumption.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Over-100-arrested-at-Oxegen.6418829.jp

Tell that to the 333 people who were arrested for drug possession at Oxegen this year.

It is clear you do not know what you are talking about, so please stop giving advice which could result in someone getting a criminal conviction.

Moderators?

The law is clear. The OP is commiting a crime by allowing marijuana in her home. If you don't understand that, that's fine, but please refrain from giving incorrect advice which could lead to someone's life being ruined.

[/I]

have you ever been arrested for leaving a pub drunk?

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Over-100-arrested-at-Oxegen.6418829.jp

Tell that to the 333 people who were arrested for drug possession at Oxegen this year.

It is clear you do not know what you are talking about, so please stop giving advice which could result in someone getting a criminal conviction.

Moderators?

she's not in possession of marijuana.

EDIT: read your own link
    Over 100 arrested at Oxegen as drug offences reach 360

Published Date: 14 July 2010
    By Paul O'Meara
    A total of 129 arrests – mainly for public order offences – were made by the gardai during the Oxegen music festival at Punchestown, which concluded on Sunday night.
    It is thought the number of patrons attending was less than last year.
    A total of 35 people were detained for alleged public order offences while 27 were arrested on suspicion of having drugs for sale or supply.
    There were also 26 arrests for allegations of theft, three for robbery from individuals and five for assault.

Some 16 arrests were made for people found driving with excess alcohol between Thursday and 6pm on Sunday.

Separately, there were 333 minor drug offences, principally relating to possessing amall amounts of illegal substances.

As that reads, none of those 333 were arrested. not one. Thanks for the link to prove our point though.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    she's not in possession of marijuana.
    MISUSE OF DRUGS ACT, 1977

19.—(1) A person who is the occupier or is in control or is concerned in the management of any land, vehicle or vessel and who knowingly permits or suffers any of the following to take place on the land, vehicle or vessel, namely—

( c ) the preparation of cannabis for smoking,

shall be guilty of an offence.

You're right, that wasn't the best link.

Here's a quote from a Garda at a recent Oxegen festival:

A Garda spokesman said yesterday: "We were determined that nobody was getting in with drugs on them. We couldn't stop everyone but there were around 550 arrests which is very high. Mainly cannabis and ecstasy were seized. There was no cocaine. And the drugs were found in small amounts which means they were for consumption rather than for dealing."

Google "oxegen arrests drugs" and you will find many examples of people being arrested for cannabis possession.

You're right, that wasn't the best link.

Here's a quote for a Garda at a recent Oxegen festival:

A Garda spokesman said yesterday: "We were determined that nobody was getting in with drugs on them. We couldn't stop everyone but there were around 550 arrests which is very high. Mainly cannabis and ecstasy were seized. There was no cocaine. And the drugs were found in small amounts which means they were for consumption rather than for dealing."

Google "oxegen arrests drugs" and you will find many examples of people being arrested for cannabis possession.
    so one incident where they had decided on a specific task IE "nobody was getting in". That was a co-ordinated effort. in every day terms, that's not going to be the case. as proved by your first link. many thanks.

so one incident where they had decided on a specific task IE "nobody was getting in". That was a co-ordinated effort. in every day terms, that's not going to be the case. as proved by your first link. many thanks.

You are deluding yourself if you think that was a once off incident.

Really, I am finding this all very strange.

I deal with two or three cases per week of ordinary people who have been arrested for drug possession. Typically it is cannabis. And I work in a small centre in a fairly trouble free part of the country.

There's not much more I can do to convince you. It is clear you have made your mind up.

OP the law is clear. If you want to take the risk, that's your choice, but please don't pay too much attention to the people who are trying to convince you using false information.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

You are not very good a proving things so you are asking me to do it for you. Sorry but that is a bit much. You may work in legal circles as you claim but, you are not very good at rhetoric I am afriad.

In relation to the specific case in the OP can you source any instances where an arrest was made to an individual, being soley caused due to another individual who shares the same property being in possesion of herbs for personal consumption?

• Advertisement

I deal with two or three cases per week of ordinary people who have been arrested for drug possession. Typically it is cannabis. And I work in a small centre in a fairly trouble free part of the country.

There's not much more I can do to convince you. It is clear you have made your mind up.

OP the law is clear. If you want to take the risk, that's your choice, but please don't pay too much attention to the people who are trying to convince you using false information.

yet you brought me 333 cases of where there was no arrests.

So what do you suggest the OP do? move out? Call the gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I suggest smoking the shít out of it and see what happens.

You are not very good a proving things so you are asking me to do it for you. Sorry but that is a bit much. You may work in legal circles as you claim but, you are not very good at rhetoric I am afriad.

Hang on. You said no one gets arrested for being in possession of cannabis. I just proved circa 550 were recently arrested for it.

I can only conclude that you are in denial if you think I have proven nothing.

In relation to the specific case in the OP can you source any instances where an arrest was made to an individual, being soley caused due to another individual who shares the same property being in possesion of herbs for personal consumption?

I cannot give specifics, but I am aware of two such cases this year. Neither led to a conviction, but I'm pretty sure both individuals would have some advice for the OP.

I believe I provided you with an example of 550 arrests, but of course, let's ignore that because it contradicts your opinion...

I have no advice for the OP. It is up to her what she does.

Telling the OP false information (no risk, no one gets arrested for carrying cannabis for person use) is not useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

In the highly unlikely situation whereby a Garda enters into the kitchen of the OP's house there are two possible outcomes..

1) Garda: "What's that bag of herbs on the table there?"
    OP: "I don't know, it's not mine.."
    ** Garda picks up and smells bag **
    Garda: "That smells like herbs de provence, great on the auld pizzas and such, good day to you sir!"

2) Garda: "Whose is that bag of weed on the table"
    OP: "Not mine, must be the flatmate's"
    Garda: "Is he here?"
    OP: "Ya, hold on and I'll get him.."
    Garda: "Howya Flatmate, you know it's a criminal offence to have cannabis in your posession?"
    FM: "Yes, Garda...very sorry"
    Garda: "You're grand I've too much **** to be dealing with. Not gonna waste my time writing up a report and bringing you the court for the sake of a makings..I'm gonna confiscate it but don't let me catch you again with it, good day to ye men!"

ebixa82 wrote: »
    2) Garda: "Whose is that bag of weed on the table"
    OP: "Not mine, must be the flatmate's"
    Garda: "Is he here?"
    OP: "Ya, hold on and I'll get him.."
    Garda: "Howya Flatmate, you know it's a criminal offence to have cannabis in your profession?"
    FM: "Yes, Garda...very sorry"
    Garda: "You're grand I've too much **** to be dealing with. Not gonna waste my time writing up a report and bringing you the court for the sake of the makings..I'm gonna confiscate it but don't let me catch you again with it, good day to ye men!"

What evidence are you basing this on?

I believe I provided you with an example of 550 arrests, but of course, let's ignore that because it contradicts your opinion...

I'm a little embarresed for you now. I have copied your source for you below. I would like you to read it again carefully please. As a hint I would like you to pay particular close attention to the sections I have underlined. I would then like you to explain how this proves your point.

As a second hint, although someone who works in legal cicles as you claim, must already know this, but there is vast ocean of difference between an arrest and an offence. An arrest is an arrest. An offence does not lead to an arrest.

A total of 129 arrests mainly for public order offences – were made by the gardai during the Oxegen music festival at Punchestown, which concluded on Sunday night.
    A total of 35 people were detained for alleged public order offences while 27 were arrested on suspicion of having drugs for sale or supply.
    There were also 26 arrests for allegations of theft, three for robbery from individuals and five for assault.

Some 16 arrests were made for people found driving with excess alcohol between Thursday and 6pm on Sunday.

Separately, there were 333 minor drug offences, principally relating to possessing amall amounts of illegal substances.

Hang on. You said no one gets arrested for being in possession of cannabis. I just proved circa 550 were recently arrested for it.

I can only conclude that you are in denial if you think I have proven nothing.

I cannot give specifics, but I am aware of two such cases this year. Neither led to a conviction,
    again, thanks for that. you're really doing your best to win this debate for us.

I'm a little embarresed for you now. I have copied your source for you below. I would like you to read it again carefully please. As a hint I would like you to pay particular close attention to the sections I have underlined. I would then like you to explain how this proves your point.

As a second hint, although someone who works in legal cicles as you claim, must already know this, but there is vast ocean of difference between an arrest and an offence. An arrest is an arrest. An offence does not lead to an arrest.

A total of 129 arrests mainly for public order offences – were made by the gardai during the Oxegen music festival at Punchestown, which concluded on Sunday night.

Not sure why you're embarrassed for me. You seem to have missed this bit:

Your opinion that no one gets arrested for possession is incorrect.

O what the hell, I will give you the answer. Your source which you claims proves that there were 550 arrests backing up your delusion, is not actually 550 arrests.

There were only 129 arrests.

Of these the only arrests relating to drugs were all for intention to sell and supply. There were no arrests for personal consumption.

There were 333 offences for personal consumption but all of these did not result in arrests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 s14 silvia

Have you learned to roll properly since you put this up earlier :D

O what the hell, I will give you the answer. Your source which you claims proves that there were 550 arrests backing up your delusion, is not actually 550 arrests.

There were only 129 arrests.

Of these the only arrests relating to drugs were all for intention to sell and supply. There were no arrests for personal consumption.

There were 333 offences for personal consumption but all of these did not result in arrests.

Go back and read the thread, you have missed lots of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Flag waving ganja rights brigade in I see.
    Bill Hicks youtube videos all watched then...

The OP is perfectly entitled to be uncomfortable with drugs where she lives.

However, in this case, if the stoned flatmate was there first than it would be up to the OP to move out if it is an issue for her.

Your opinion that no one gets arrested for possession is incorrect.

nobody get arrested for renting in the same house as someone who posseses though..

Theres the link to the full article you quoted
    As 80,000 music fans flocked to the Punchestown venue at the weekend, gardai were on high alert with sniffer dogs at each entrance and plain-clothes officers mingling with the crowds. The major clampdown involved up to 300 gardai.
    seems like exceptional circumstances. 5 years ago, and something they havent bothered to do since.

Go back and read the thread, you have missed lots of information.

I have. And I was unable to find any evidence that backs up your point. Please quote it.

By the way it appears the Garda in your quote that you used mixed up his figures as he included the offences into the arrests. The actual figures were 129 arrests. Of which none were for being in possesion of drugs for personal use.

Actually on second thoughts don't bother. Any rational person will realise that your points are completely baseless and will be forced to disregard your delusions.

I have attempted to reason with you but I find you unreasonable. Proof of your unreasonableness can be shown in your failure to adhere to basic laws of rhetoric, very sloppy sourcing, totally false deductions made from these sources and false slanderous persumptions made against me.

nobody get arrested for renting in the same house as someone who posseses though..

*slaps head*

Are you still stuck on this point, even though I have shown the law which proves it is illegal to live with someone who consumes cannabis?

I am aware of cases where "innocent" people have been arrested because of their flatmate's habits.

Here's the law again:

19.—(1) A person who is the occupier or is in control or is concerned in the management of any land, vehicle or vessel and who knowingly permits or suffers any of the following to take place on the land, vehicle or vessel, namely—

( c ) the preparation of cannabis for smoking,

shall be guilty of an offence.

So it seems you are confusing what you want to believe with the reality of the law.

Regarding drug possession, you know there were 550 arrests for possession at Oxegen in 2005. The figures for the following years are smaller, but there are still arrests for possession.

Here's a snippit from an article in The Dubliner magazine:

In 2006, there were 2,105 cases in Dublin involving cannabis possession (without intent to supply). This is slightly down on the 2005 figure of 2,414, but both are significantly higher than the 2004 figure of 1,246.

Will you now accept people get arrested for possession of cannabis?

@Ben Hadad: Don't get too concerned with the link I posted, it was not the best example (I posted the wrong link), but please stop talking as if you are correct. Your assertion that no one gets arrested for cannabis possession has been proven beyond any doubt to be totally incorrect.

And just in case people - for reasons I cannot understand - still think you can't get arrested for possession of cannabis; again from The Dubliner:

What happens when you’re caught smoking a joint at a gig?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that you get off more lightly in Dublin – gardaí sometimes even return cannabis confiscated at gigs. In Cavan, meanwhile, they regularly set up roadblocks to snare law-breaking gig-goers making their way south by bus. The wrong-doers can then expect to be taken to the police station, strip-searched and jailed, before being dragged before the district court; the judge may hand down stinging fines and a permanent criminal record.

It could not be clearer that cannabis is treated seriously in Ireland. The law says so, my professional experience says so, and a quick bit of googling says so...

And just in case people - for reasons I cannot understand - still think you can't get arrested for possession of cannabis; again from The Dubliner:

What happens when you’re caught smoking a joint at a gig?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that you get off more lightly in Dublin – gardaí sometimes even return cannabis confiscated at gigs.

why did you not highlight the first part of your quote?!

*slaps head*

Are you still stuck on this point, even though I have shown the law which proves it is illegal to live with someone who consumes cannabis?

I am aware of cases where "innocent" people have been arrested because of their flatmate's habits.

Here's the law again:

yet you havent cited a single person convicted. you even gave two examples where people were arrested but not convicted

• Advertisement

anyway, back to my question. Do you think the OP should immediately call the Gardaí on her housemate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement