Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing - found bag of herbs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

zuroph wrote: »
    why did you not highlight the first part of your quote?!

This is interesting. You have been proven incorrect so you are trying to score points anywhere you can. Maybe just admit you were wrong?

But to answer your question, I am trying to point out that cannabis isn't the risk-free drug (regarding the law) most people here so desperatly want to believe.

In my college days I was quite friendly with people who used to smoke fairly regularly. I have two direct experiences in two different parts of the country. Firstly in Cork where I studied and then in Galway where I was visiting for Rag week.

In both instances the guards were called out to house parties for noise complaints, where there were people smoking. In both cases the Gardai merely confiscated the pot and warned the boys not to get caught again! In the Galway incident their names were not even taken. I have seen this with my own two eyes and know that it is fact.

anyway, back to my question. Do you think the OP should immediately call the Gardaí on her housemate?

I have no intention of giving specific advice to the OP.

In my college days I was quite friendly with people who used to smoke fairly regularly. I have two direct experiences in two different parts of the country. Firstly in Cork where I studied and then in Galway where I was visiting for Rag week.

In both instances the guards were called out to house parties for noise complaints, where there were people smoking. In both cases the Gardai merely confiscated the pot and warned the boys not to get caught again! In the Galway incident their names were not even taken. I have seen this with my own two eyes and know that it is fact.

I have no doubt there are Gardai who choose to ignore the law, but you would be very foolish to base your decisions on the hope that you will meet one of these Gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

This is interesting. You have been proven incorrect so you are trying to score points anywhere you can. Maybe just admit you were wrong?

But to answer your question, I am trying to point out that cannabis isn't the risk-free drug (regarding the law) most people here so desperatly want to believe.

how am i wrong? I said Cops rarely bother to arrest for possession, and proved my point with thousands of examples at oxegen, and anecdotal evidence from the same article you produced. BTW, the article contains inaccurate numbers and facts, and is hardly "evidence".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Yes but it won't be the same everywhere as someone has stated you are probably more likely to get away with it at in a Bigger city as the Guards have more to worry about

yet you havent cited a single person convicted. you even gave two examples where people were arrested but not convicted

From my own personal experience I do not know of any convictions (that's not to say there aren't any; I simply don't know of any). But certainly the OP can expect a trip to the Garda station should the house be "raided".

how am i wrong? I said Cops rarely bother to arrest for possession, and proved my point with thousands of examples at oxegen, and anecdotal evidence from the same article you produced. BTW, the article contains inaccurate numbers and facts, and is hardly "evidence".

So if I understand correctly then your issue is the fact that I am pointing out the law to the OP?

You would rather she didn't know of the risks?

You would rather I said "yeah buddy there are no risks at all" like everyone else?

I have to say it is very peculiar you don't have any issue with the people who have been spreading misinformation, e.g. Ben Hadad, but have such an issue with someone who is pointing out the law and his own professional experience on the matter.

however, as you have admitted the article to evidence, let me use it further..
    How many people are arrested for smoking pot in Dublin?
    In 2006, there were 2,105 cases in Dublin involving cannabis possession (without intent to supply). This is slightly down on the 2005 figure of 2,414, but both are significantly higher than the 2004 figure of 1,246
    2105/12 = 175 a month.
    How many people smoke pot in Dublin?
    62,623. This is the approximate number of people who have smoked cannabis in Dublin in the last month

less than .3% of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If I am ever in the misfortunate circumstance of finding myself up in court ona charge I certainly won't be getting mkahnisbent with all to defend me! It reminds of the first lawyer that Vinny got in My Cousin Vinny. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

Thanks for all the advice

I'm none the wiser unfortunately. Both sides appear to have very convincing arguments.

I live in Athlone so it's not like the guards are up to their eyes so maybe we could expect to be raided should the guards honestly have nothing else to do. The girls I live with are not party animals so it's unlikely we will be getting guards calling over noise complaints. The fella (who owns this stuff) is not so quiet but sure.....

I was clueless yesterday when I first posted but I am def more relaxed about it now. I will ask him not to leave it lying around and should we get 'raided' I will just say I assumed they were herbs. (on that note - the stuff in the bag was browny greeney in colour so unsure if that helps ye figuring out what it was)

Thanks again.

anyway, back to my question. Do you think the OP should immediately call the Gardaí on her housemate?

Can you address this please?

The reason I take issue with you is you are pointing out a possible but extremely unlikely scenario and thus unneccessarily worrying the OP.

Chance of house being raided. chance of there being pot in the house at the time, chance of the housemate not taking blame, chance of gardaí deciding to arrest all, chance of DPP thinking there is enough of a case to take it to court, chance of judge convicting.... the odds are exponentially low.No point in sweating her out because of a lotto win type odds.

I am a non smoker and still live with aforementioned people who smoke. They have never had any problems with the Gardai except where there were exacerbating circumstances that brought them to the attention of the law. The house will not be ‘’raided’’
    I first met these guys when we moved in together as seventeen or eighteen year old kids in UCC. Prior to this I like the OP had no experience with marijuana, yet at that age I still had the common sense to realise they were hurting no one! We are now all young professionals living in Dublin, with good careers and prospects, so I really cannot see where the problem is.

however, as you have admitted the article to evidence, let me use it further..

2105/12 = 175 a month.

less than .3% of users.

I do not know the OP so I have no idea how risk averse she is. I am simply pointing out the law and showing there are risks associated with doing nothing. It is up to the OP how she uses this information.

Can you address this please?

I have addressed it. My reply is further up the page.

The house will not be ‘’raided’’.

How do you know? Have you spoken to the OPs local Gardai and checked out her flatmate to see if he is a dealer/is know to the local Gardai?

If not, I hope you can see it is foolish to make such strong statements. The reality is there is risk, even if it may be low.

I also know people who have lived in houses with drug dealers that have been ‘’raided’’ and nothing has happened to the innocent parties. If a dealer is being arrested he is under surveillance and they have records of his visits, calls and text messages. Believe me they will do nothing to the innocent party.
    Again I have seen this first hand.

Believe me they will do nothing to the innocent party.

Once again, you should refrain from making statements like this as they are irresponsible.

Your own anecdotal experience will not apply to everyone.

Please go out and get some life experience, you will see how things work in the real world.

Please go out and get some life experience, you will see how things work in the real world.

I work in the area of criminal law, so I am not merely some randomer presenting his opinion as fact.

I work in the area of criminal law, so I am not merely some randomer presenting his opinion as fact.

From one of your previous posts it looks like you work in Fund Accounting, the same industry as me actually. I know for a fact that not too much criminal law is involved in that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

What evidence are you basing this on?

Common sense and reality..

From one of your previous posts it looks like you work in Fund Accounting, the same industry as me actually. I know for a fact that not too much criminal law is involved in that.

No, I am not a fund accountant (although I did recently consider becoming one).

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Common sense and reality..

Common sense and the law don't always mix. :)

Reality... well in some cases it may be like that, but it shouldn't, and frequently doesn't.

Bob Z wrote: »
    Yes but it won't be the same everywhere as someone has stated you are probably more likely to get away with it at in a Bigger city as the Guards have more to worry about

It will be the same everywhere...cops have way more important things to be dealing with than prosecuting people for personal consumption of hash. Get a grip lads..

Reality... well in some cases it may be like that, but it shouldn't, and frequently doesn't.

In all cases it is, and it should..

Would you not prefer for cops to be out dealing with more serious issues than to be stuck in an office writing up paperwork for such menial offences..

If you work in this area then you'd think you would understand the story..

It will be the same everywhere...cops have way more important things to be dealing with than prosecuting people for personal consumption of hash. Get a grip lads..

I refer you to my previous post about what happens in Cavan...

"In Cavan, meanwhile, they regularly set up roadblocks to snare law-breaking gig-goers making their way south by bus. The wrong-doers can then expect to be taken to the police station, strip-searched and jailed, before being dragged before the district court; the judge may hand down stinging fines and a permanent criminal record."

In all cases it is, and it should..

Would you not prefer for cops to be out dealing with more serious issues than to be stuck in an office writing up paperwork for such menial offences..

If you work in this area then you'd think you would understand the story..

I think you need to read the thread, I don't want to be repeating myself.

You are trying to shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

You can't guarantee that. I already made a post earlier about someone being arrested for sharing a house with someone who had hash on them which according to some people on this thread is impossible

I refer you to my previous post about what happens in Cavan...

"In Cavan, meanwhile, they regularly set up roadblocks to snare law-breaking gig-goers making their way south by bus. The wrong-doers can then expect to be taken to the police station, strip-searched and jailed, before being dragged before the district court; the judge may hand down stinging fines and a permanent criminal record."

this is hearsay from the Dubliner magazine. its not a operations manual for the gardaí

• Advertisement

No, I am not a fund accountant (although I did recently consider becoming one).

EDIT: nevermind, I'm bored of arguing with you. OP has made a good decision, despite your scaremongering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement