Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Problem - No Signal on Monitor, no Mouse or Keyboard

• 20-08-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all, I hope i have posted this in the right section..

Basically i've moved into a new house and I transported my fairly new PC with me. I built it myself and will list the specs below. However everytime I try to boot, the fans and GPU fire up no problem, there is lights on the mobo and hdd.

The problem is that the monitor wont pickup a signal.. and the mouse and keyboard don't light up or react at all.

I have looked through google and viewed forums where a lot of people tend to think its the motherboard, I am not great with trouble shooting hardware so if anyone knows a way they could help me that would be fantastic.

I have tried unplugging the power supply cable and leaving it for 5 mins then plugging it back in and holding the power button. It didnt do anything. The case has great air flow and the fans are good, so its not overheating problems.

I would hope it isn't too serious cause I only got all my components in January.. :(

Thanks in advance, Baz

IIyama Prolite 24" monitor
    MSI P55 GD80
    4GB DDR3 Patriot Sector 5 Ram
    Intel Core i5 @ 3.66Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4890 1GB
    Corsair 650w Modular
    Samsung 500gb F3 (corrupt) so using a Spare western digital HDD
    5 Fans & Sentry fan controller and a massive CPU heatsink forget name.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like something shifted during transport.

Have you reseated the GFX Card and RAM?

If you arent getting any display or any beeps then it could also be a dead CPU. I had a faulty cpu recently that gave those symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

like lethel said it could be a loose componant make sure everything is seated correctly

if it still wont boot try pulling out the BIOS battery and leave the battery out for a couple of minutes and then push the battery back in and try to boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Thanks guys i'll try making sure everything is in tight and try the battery too, i reset the cmos but didnt do anything. Ill try those now.

Sounds like something shifted during transport.

Have you reseated the GFX Card and RAM?

If you arent getting any display or any beeps then it could also be a dead CPU. I had a faulty cpu recently that gave those symptoms.

I reseated the card and ram as you said. Tried booting again, but same old story.. I hope its not the CPU. I think i have a spare i5 laying about that belongs to a mate. Should I try it?

Auvers wrote: »
    like lethel said it could be a loose componant make sure everything is seated correctly

if it still wont boot try pulling out the BIOS battery and leave the battery out for a couple of minutes and then push the battery back in and try to boot

Tried the bios battery, but no luck :(

• Advertisement

A light is red on the motherboard, that i think previously was orange or something.. Any idea what that means? if anything at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

According to the manual (available http://asia.msi.com/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=9695&type=manual)
    there's a debug, 2 character LED panel close to the corner of the motherboard across from the last PCI-E slot.

The debug codes are listed on page 48 (2-32) which light be of some help in finding out whether the issue is with memory, cpu etc.

If you haven't heard any beeps, it would suggest a CPU or motherboard issue though.

After reseating memory and GPU, I'd try reseating the CPU and it's heatsink.

--
    Manual should also help describe which LED you're worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Make sure all cables going into motherboard,are tight, especially dvd,cd ide hardrive cables,especially ones going into hardrives.
    CHECK ARE PCI CARDS, and graphics card fully seated,in the slots 100 per cent.
    Put a cd in the drive,does the light come on,does it read the cd.
    Make sure the ram chips are fully in the slots.
    Does the keyboard light come on ,after bootup.
    MAKE SURE THE CPU and grahics card FANS ,power cables are plugged into the motherboard.
    plug a speaker into,green, socket,audio out, do you hear any beeps.

ressem wrote: »
    According to the manual (available http://asia.msi.com/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=9695&type=manual)
    there's a debug, 2 character LED panel close to the corner of the motherboard across from the last PCI-E slot.

The debug codes are listed on page 48 (2-32) which light be of some help in finding out whether the issue is with memory, cpu etc.

If you haven't heard any beeps, it would suggest a CPU or motherboard issue though.

After reseating memory and GPU, I'd try reseating the CPU and it's heatsink.

--
    Manual should also help describe which LED you're worried about.

Thank you ressem, I have got the manual in front of me and upon booting the LED Displays FF which according to the manual means:

"Power on and first initialize CPU".

I take it this means that the CPU has a problem? As it stays on FF and doesnt change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Either power or CPU, and as the fault occurred after moving the system, I'd guess the latter. Those heatsinks can be heavy and put stress on that area during transit.

I'd try reseating the CPU and heatsink as the next step.
    The CPU fan are connected and spinning ok?

• Advertisement

ricman wrote: »
    Make sure all cables going into motherboard,are tight, especially dvd,cd ide hardrive cables,especially ones going into hardrives.
    CHECK ARE PCI CARDS, and graphics card fully seated,in the slots 100 per cent.
    Put a cd in the drive,does the light come on,does it read the cd.
    Make sure the ram chips are fully in the slots.
    Does the keyboard light come on ,after bootup.
    MAKE SURE THE CPU and grahics card FANS ,power cables are plugged into the motherboard.
    plug a speaker into,green, socket,audio out, do you hear any beeps.

Now for some reason the DVD drive is not working.. And im pretty sure there is a win 7 disk in it.. But apart from that the components are all in 100% i took them all out and put back in again. fans are all working 100% and controllable via the sentry controller. I cannot hear any sound tho, and the FF is still there on the LED display

ressem wrote: »
    Either power or CPU, and as the fault occurred after moving the system, I'd guess the latter. Those heatsinks can be heavy and put stress on that area during transit.

I'd try reseating the CPU and heatsink as the next step.
    The CPU fan are connected and spinning ok?

Resat the CPU and heatsink. THere does seem to be paste getting a bit messy down there but i cleaned it a bit. The CPU fan is going yeah.

Forgot to add the "Green Power Button" which basically turns the LEDs on and off on the mobo doesnt do anything anymore lol.. just a bad day today..

Also the red LED is ok, it basically means the HD is operating so thats one positive

Turn off pc,unplug power from esb socket,disconnect all drives from the mobo,and power leads,to drive,leave grahics card, mouse,keyboard in .IS graphics fan on.
    If you have a basic pci grahics card install it, take out the pci-x grahics card.

reboot pc,remember when pc is knocked off power is still going thru the motherboard.MAYBE even try booting,with no keyboard,or mouse.IS THERE any beeps when pc is on.

After moving the ram about and doing as you said it has now got past the FF stage on the Display..

It is now '2E' in the maunal i think it is around the 'Initialize onboard devices stage' still no monitor, keyboard or mouse tho. Tried booting them out

knock,off power ,remove plug from the esb socket, just leave 1 ram chip,in slot 0, first ram slot.so boot with 512meg ram.remove other ram dimms for the moment.make sure power cable is going to grahics card if it requires one from the psu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sorry, completely OT, but for once Ricman can you punctuate and format your posts properly. Its killing me slowly here.

OP: Did you try the spare CPU?

Ok i tried the other CPU and i think i made things worse. Whenver I put it in and secured it etc nothing turned on. The mobo and fans etc would turn on for like a second then go off, then the PC would keep repeating this cycle.

I thought it was the other CPU even tho it was another i5 just a different model, but then i put mine back in and it'd doing the same thing :confused:

I think I should take it somewhere for someone with more experience to have a look at it, im scared of completely wrecking the thing lol.. Pretty annoyed tho.

I have Battlefield bad company 2 in its case still was hoping to instal it but clearly not gona happen!

After dinner I will try putting in my CPU again.. and then the ram trick. Thanks for your help so far folks

IF the motherboard is damaged, at least you can use the cpu, and ram in a replacement.
    Make sure its compatible with the cpu,in regard to socket size,type.
    I,M assuming the cpu is not damaged.IT would be better to take out the pci-x card and put in a cheap agp,or pc card.
    AS you could end up damaging the graphics card thru using it on a dodgey motherboard.
    Use the onboard grahics motherboard,vga if theres one there.
    Leave all drives disconnected until you get the mobo, fixed or replaced.
    Remove all pci cards eg sound card ,that you do not need to boot up the pc.
    It sounds like second cpu is dead.

Ricman, I am going to try booting without the graphics card and tv tuner etc which i dont need, but i noticed when i try and boot with the ram in the slots i think 0 and 2, basically the one closest the cpu and then its partner for dual channel, that the motherboard wont get past the FF stage basicaly failing. But when the are in the other two it gets to 2E which means

"Initializes all output devices"

It then sticks here now. I got the CPU working again.

YOU COULD try swapping ram chips round in different slots,remove the cmos battery for 4minutes, should cause the bios to reset to default settings.
    or bootup, press .del, or f2 ,acess bios menu, set boot mode ,fast boot =off, test memory mode,,slow boot .OR use bios ,set to factory /default settings.
    I Build PCS now and again , in my experience,its not worth fixing motherboards,
    if certain devices,do,nt work, it can be got round by using a pci, or usb addon,sometimes.
    TRY bootup pc ,no keyboard,or mouse connected.
    Can you see any marks on motherboard,that could indicate a damaged component.
    whats the model mobo,
    eg asus 540kgt
    one ram chip could be faulty.Some bios,s have slow boot, diagnostic mode, tests the ram as it boots up. See boot,advanced settings.
    switch off shadow,video ram from the bios,.
    if mobo is damaged ,any device you plug in to it could be damaged too,eg dvd drive.
    check the motherbord jumpers, are they all on, setup for the cpu you have.
    see the motherboard manual.
    see herehttp://www.overclockers.com/msi-p55-gd80-motherboard-review/
    you could try pressing the clr cmos, button on the mobo, i presume that resets the bios to factory settings.

• Advertisement

ricman wrote: »
    YOU COULD try swapping ram chips round in different slots,remove the cmos battery for 4minutes, should cause the bios to reset to default settings.
    or bootup, press .del, or f2 ,acess bios menu, set boot mode ,fast boot =off, test memory mode,,slow boot .OR use bios ,set to factory /default settings.
    I Build PCS now and again , in my experience,its not worth fixing motherboards,
    if certain devices,do,nt work, it can be got round by using a pci, or usb addon,sometimes.
    TRY bootup pc ,no keyboard,or mouse connected.
    Can you see any marks on motherboard,that could indicate a damaged component.
    whats the model mobo,
    eg asus 540kgt
    one ram chip could be faulty.Some bios,s have slow boot, diagnostic mode, tests the ram as it boots up. See boot,advanced settings.
    switch off shadow,video ram from the bios,.
    if mobo is damaged ,any device you plug in to it could be damaged too,eg dvd drive.
    check the motherbord jumpers, are they all on, setup for the cpu you have.
    see the motherboard manual.
    see herehttp://www.overclockers.com/msi-p55-gd80-motherboard-review/
    you could try pressing the clr cmos, button on the mobo, i presume that resets the bios to factory settings.

Finally got her going again Ricman! :D

Well its not all smiles.. Im here to tickle ur brain about it again. Basically i installed my mates old NVIDIA 7300 LE! The monitor, keyboard and mouse etc are all responding now. To be 100% sure my mate built his PC with mine so we have identical parts, when he gets back to Uni i am going to test his 4890 in my rig and mine in his to ensure it is the card.

Anyway I have the machine running now, but there is a new problem. My machine is picking up my 4gb of ram:

"Installed memory 4gb" but it only is using 1.99 :confused:

"(usable 1.99)"

So i checked msconfig to see if it was being restricted but no luck..

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    Baz

Advertisement