Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology in one year.

• 20-08-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Is it manageable to take up Biology at the start or 6th year, would it take allot of work. (i'm repeating)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have heard it is a very long course. I don't think it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

its a hugely long course and its a struggle to get it all into 2 years unfortunately- also some schools wont allow it as a repeat subject if you have not done it previously as you wont have completed the practical lab work which accounts for a large section of the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Maestoso

If you have really good retention and are competent in knowing where to cut down, because even after two years of studying it, I had to cut it down before the test because I couldn't remember so much stuff. I got an A1 and left out almost everything on plants (because I hate them) so it's possible to do well even when cutting down, but I got so high because I loved learning about the human body.

TL;DR I'd recommend it only if you can remember lots of stuff, and love learning about biological processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

NotExactly wrote: »
    Is it manageable to take up Biology at the start or 6th year, would it take allot of work. (i'm repeating)

Yup ! My friend took it up as a repeat and got a A1 this year!! She went to both 5th and 6th year classes in it, untill the revision material crossed over!
    IMO , it's the easiest subject out ther, course is not that long, possible to leave out parts etc !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

hmm I think ill give it a miss so. Would LCVP be allright to take up? and also can i drop English having passed the honours exam this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

It's a very very long course. If working from a revision book alone you'd probably get it done and be able to get a B1, but I doubt you'd have time to do the course in enough detail to get anymore than that. So I'd say it's do-able, but it would be EXTREMELY hard to get a high grade only studying it for one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

hmm I think ill give it a miss so. Would LCVP be allright to take up? and also can i drop English having passed the honours exam this year?

Don't, results this year were terrible this year and it aint worth the time studying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Aoifey! wrote: »
    but it would be EXTREMELY hard to get a high grade only studying it for one year.

It's not though, like I said, my friend got an A1 and she isnt the most studious type , she didn't put a lot more emphasis on it in relation to other subjects!

I'm not sure about English. But with LCVP it's a lot to do with collecting information over the 2 years. You're meant to give dates and stuff for when you did stuff. I suppose you could probably make a lot of it up (which people do a lot in LCVP), but if you want to do it properly then you couldn't.

It's not though, like I said, my friend got an A1 and she isnt the most studious type , she didn't put a lot more emphasis on it in relation to other subjects!
    Well I always found Biology very hard, maybe it just depends on the person, I just know what my experience with it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

I did it last year in one year at home and did well in it (A1:D) Its definitely possible..
    I wouldnt say to use the normal textbook though, this has everything you need, its an excellent revision book:
    http://www.schoolbooks.ie/70963-Essential+Exam+Revision%3A+Biology+-+Leaving+Cert+-+Higher+Level+Folens+School+Book

You would probably have to do 2 chapters per week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Biology is just one of those subjects that if you love it, you can do really really well in it. The course is huge though, and theres so much plant stuff in it that if you dont like plants, can seem very boring. But the Human stuff is fascinating.

My only concern with doing it one year would be the practical lab stuff. They now give questions in the exam that could catch u out if you hadnt actually done the lab work. And is there a project that needs to be done too?

Id have a chat with your schools Biology teacher and see what they think. It will be hard but defo possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 calzini

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest, especially with the department trying to make this year's paper as broad as possible to discourage people from thinking they can avoid studying certain topics, such as plants. I imagine they'll do the same this year, and that course is bloody massive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

You can't take up LCVP in 6th year. My friend tried but TBOE wouldn't allow him. Biology is possible to fit into a year. And you don't actually need to do the practicals, learning them is just as good. It isn't a hugely long course, but I can remember after finishing everything except The Plant sections I really didn't have any time left. It is possible to cover the whole course before Christmas and go over it all again afterwards. My sister covered it 8 times when she did it. That's not really necessary though. Good luck.

Advertisement