Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranking system

• 20-08-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Can anybody explain how the battlenet ranking system works? I played my five placement match's there to begin with and got dropped into the Platinum League. I haven't done much playing, just watched a few of Day9's videos while the Beta was on but didn't get to play in it.

What does it take to be moved up? Constant wins, winning streak, is it reevaluated at any stage across the board? The same for being dropped down?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im still unsure of the whats what in the leagues tbh.
    All i know is Gold Silver and Bronze, ive heard there is a Diamond but am not sure myself.
    Wasnt aware of a platinum but then again im a noob languishing in the bronze, i assumed bronze was the lowest league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

It goes Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum -> Diamond

Don't think it's been figured out how exactly the promotion/demotion system works yet, seems to start matching you up against players in leagues higher than your own if you're over 50% win ratio in your own tier. From what I've read you also need a certain amount of losses for it to promote you, there were pro players going like 50 wins and 2 losses in Platinum and got promoted once they reached 7 losses or something. I think in theory whatever league you end up leveling off at 50% win ratio is where you'll settle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Funky wrote: »
    It goes Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum -> Diamond

Don't think it's been figured out how exactly the promotion/demotion system works yet, seems to start matching you up against players in leagues higher than your own if you're over 50% win ratio in your own tier. From what I've read you also need a certain amount of losses for it to promote you, there were pro players going like 50 wins and 2 losses in Platinum and got promoted once they reached 7 losses or something. I think in theory whatever league you end up leveling off at 50% win ratio is where you'll settle in.

I did find the last two placement games were pretty nail biting(lost my main base in both) so I suppose both players must have been platinum. But I'm at a 4:1 win loss ration at the moment so I can expect to be moved up soon?

So if I get this right, I'm in the top 60-80% of players. 80-100% is Diamond and so on. I'm put into a comparison group of 100 and if placed in lets say the top five after 50 match's I get moved up, the bottom five I get moved down. The match's might not be within the group itself but within that range of players(allowing for a larger player base to choose from). You might also get games from placement match's so they know where to put them.

It seems pretty clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

If you're doing well it'll probably move you up in somewhere around 25-30 games. I was placed in platinum and was moved up after 30 games with something like 20 wins 10 losses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Funky wrote: »
    If you're doing well it'll probably move you up in somewhere around 25-30 games. I was placed in platinum and was moved up after 30 games with something like 20 wins 10 losses.

So your in the Diamond league now?
    Silver is something i can only dream of not to mention Diamond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i qualified for platinum with my placement games, but im too chicken to play anymore :p

i honestly think the ranking system is a piece of **** as nearly every game i play im always against someone thats "favoured"

even last night myself and neoslizer played some 2v2, and every game we were against a pair who were favoured. we beat most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've come across people who are favoured, yet when I win I get +8 points You Were Favoured. Wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

I got promoted from platinum to diamond at like 10-4....It seemed a bit random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

I've come across people who are favoured, yet when I win I get +8 points You Were Favoured. Wha?
    I have read that the system does dometimes have both players 'favoured', maybe its based on your recent form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Off-topic, but I actually read that in Zapp Brannigan's voice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MistaMagoo

i qualified for platinum with my placement games, but im too chicken to play anymore :p

i honestly think the ranking system is a piece of **** as nearly every game i play im always against someone thats "favoured"

even last night myself and neoslizer played some 2v2, and every game we were against a pair who were favoured. we beat most of them.

The less you play the worse it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jazzme

been inactive for a week then loss 5 consecutive games been demoted:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its best to right click your opponents name in the scoreboard after a game and look at their profile, it helps get a better idea of what you face when you see favour ratings prior another match.

At the moment I work of the shaky science that if i face an opponent who is favoured but his avatar is the default or a low level unlock I assume cheese is a high probability, while players even matched with high unlocks are gold/platinum players on a bad spell who are more likely to murder me if I make a mistake.

i've been even matched against bronze and gold players (and i'm silver) and i've played players who were favoured over me but they havnt finished their placements yet.

I think the favour system is based off your win/loss ratio while your league placement affects who you the game prioritizes as your opponent. So someone in bronze who has won his last 3 games would be favoured against a silver who lost his last two.

they are seperate entities I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Blizz's hidden rating system sucks. Apparently I'm even vs 800 point diamonds. FFFFFFUUUU BNet 2.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Noone knows how it works cos Blizzard aren't saying, but people have been guessing. Folks reckon it's based on the WoW arena matchmaking system, there's a great writeup here - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=150367 (links at the top).

Basic jist of it is that the leagues and rankings don't actually mean much at all for matchmaking, that it keeps a hidden estimate of everyone's skill level based on wins and losses and uses that to match people up. It tries to keep you at a 50% win/loss ratio, and the more you play the better it knows you so your matches get more even as time goes on. Really good read.

Advertisement