Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way of sending money home

Options
  • 20-08-2010 2:36pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the cheapest way to send money home is?

I'm making a fairly ok salary, but I seem to spend the money better than I make it, so I'd like to send some home to my Irish account.
    My bank charges €15 per transaction up to €5000. I was waiting to have €5000 saved so that I'd only pay it once, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Does anyone know of anything cheaper? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

I find Western Union brill!! dad used to wire me loads when i was in Asia and i dont think it cost him much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yes but that won't lodge it into an account for you. Do you have an Irish credit card? If you have online or phone banking you might be able to make a credit card payment with your current foreign card, there wouldn't be any charge there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    I find Western Union brill!! dad used to wire me loads when i was in Asia and i dont think it cost him much at all

Western Union is one of the most expensive ways you can send money!!! For example, €900 to Oz costs €43!!! They do a great job, but it should only be used when no other means are available.

Jim

Thats so unusual! I was sent several thousand over 3 months from Ireland to Asia and there was extremely minimal charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

dory wrote: »

I'm making a fairly ok salary, but I seem to spend the money better than I make it, so I'd like to send some home to my Irish account.
    My bank charges €15 per transaction up to €5000. I was waiting to have €5000 saved so that I'd only pay it once, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

paypal is simple and free.

put the money into the bank where you are, go onto paypal and transfer it to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

digme wrote: »
    paypal is simple and free.

put the money into the bank where you are, go onto paypal and transfer it to that

Don't know which PayPal you've been using but the one i use certainly isn't free.

Won't cost anything to send but whoever withdraws it will lose 3% IIRC

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thats so unusual! I was sent several thousand over 3 months from Ireland to Asia and there was extremely minimal charges.

The sender is the one who pays the big chunk, perhaps that is why you did not notice it...

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Western Union = excessive charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

ForEx accounts are usually the cheapest, they take bit to set them up but once that's done they are pretty easy to use. For example: link to XE Trade

Whoops just checked with dad there, for every 2,000 he sent, he paid 50-60 euro, my bad! Guess i should have been nicer to him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Could you not set up a deposit account in whatever country you're in (one without a cash card), then use internet banking or a standing order to transfer x amount of money to the deposit account every pay day? Then just take it out when you're leaving. Maybe use a 7 or 30 day notice account so that you can't access the money easily at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dory wrote: »

Sepa Transfer if your in the EU ..
    http://www.sepa.ie/

I pay nothing extra to transfer nothing back to Ireland, takes three working days.

Better to do it in small payments also, anything over 10,000 and you have to fill out a load of forms, plus the tax man can get involved.
    Whoops just checked with dad there, for every 2,000 he sent, he paid 50-60 euro, my bad! Guess i should have been nicer to him

Maybe you shouldn't have expected Daddy to pay for your trip to asia ?

Yes ... Western Union is about the most expensive way to send money. Its also the fastest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

OP - How ong are you out of the country?

Have you factored ii the possibility of being charged tax on this money in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublingirlie

I'm also moving abroad facing this issue albeit just to keep up with direct debits for small amounts...

I have found 2 recommended web services that seem good and work out at least 50% cheaper than banks.

I'm considering using one of them anyway:

www.1stcontactforex.com

www.tranzfers.com

Good Luck!!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

OP - How ong are you out of the country?

Have you factored ii the possibility of being charged tax on this money in Ireland.

Nope hadn't thought of that. I'm away for a year. The reason I need to transfer is because my credit card is on my Irish bank. The credit cards from here don't work on the Internet. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into all of them.

Advertisement