Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help Fixing my x box. that suffered the 3 red rings

Options
  • 20-08-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey guys my x box went red lights and need help finding the

m5 by 10mm machine nuts too fix them.

can;t get them in the shops here anymore have looked like crazy.

your thought if you could help me find a site that sells them nuts,

have everything else too fix it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

That's not a fix, it's prolonging the inevitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

I asked for help trying too find the nuts.

I asked for help trying too find the nuts.

And I'm telling you you're wasting your time with them :rolleyes: You'll be back here in a month looking for a proper fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

And I'm telling you you're wasting your time with them :rolleyes: You'll be back here in a month looking for a proper fix
    What's the problem? he's asking for help locating nuts to prolong it, he may get a few more weeks out of his xbox, he may not, it could even last longer, sorry OP, I don't know where you would get them, hopefully someone will have the answer for ya.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What's the problem? he's asking for help locating nuts to prolong it, he may get a few more weeks out of his xbox, he may not, it could even last longer, sorry OP, I don't know where you would get them, hopefully someone will have the answer for ya.

This isn't a Q&A site like Yahoo answers, it's a discussion site. The thread title is "Need help fixing my xbox that suffered the 3 red rings". I'm advising the OP that the fix they are attempting will not 'fix' his xbox, it will only prolong it's life.

Now I could elaborate and ask the OP about their error code, advise them about who offeres a reflow/reball with a permanent, real fix to the RROD, but apparently all I'm meant to be doing is giving them a link to ebay which they could find on their own, I'm sure.

In fact, were I not trying to actually help the OP and if I was just a Q&A drone, I would have offered to give them 8 of the 100+ M5 10mm screws I have here lying idle if they sent me an SAE.

So you'll excuse me for not wanting to lead the OP down the "Yay it's fixed...crap, it's dead again" route like so many others, won't you?

• Advertisement

This isn't a Q&A site like Yahoo answers, it's a discussion site. The thread title is "Need help fixing my xbox that suffered the 3 red rings". I'm advising the OP that the fix they are attempting will not 'fix' his xbox, it will only prolong it's life.

Now I could elaborate and ask the OP about their error code, advise them about who offeres a reflow/reball with a permanent, real fix to the RROD, but apparently all I'm meant to be doing is giving them a link to ebay which they could find on their own, I'm sure.

In fact, were I not trying to actually help the OP and if I was just a Q&A drone, I would have offered to give them 8 of the 100+ M5 10mm screws I have here lying idle if they sent me an SAE.

So you'll excuse me for not wanting to lead the OP down the "Yay it's fixed...crap, it's dead again" route like so many others, won't you?
    As much as you may think you were helping, you didn't, maybe if you had offered an ulteriour solution to perma-fix it, it would have been helpful.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    As much as you may think you were helping, you didn't, maybe if you had offered an ulteriour solution to perma-fix it, it would have been helpful.

If the OP was good enough to research the x-clamp removal method they should also know that it isn't a permanent fix. Had they asked me what the better method was I'd have said, instead all I got was a reiteration of their initial question. And then you jumped in with no contribution of your own but to have a go, so thanks for that.

I've given the OP both the answer to their question (ebay.ie) and also not only advised them that what they're going to do isn't a real fix, but indicated what the real fixes are. I think I'm done here.

If the OP was good enough to research the x-clamp removal method they should also know that it isn't a permanent fix. Had they asked me what the better method was I'd have said, instead all I got was a reiteration of their initial question. And then you jumped in with no contribution of your own but to have a go, so thanks for that.

I've given the OP both the answer to their question (ebay.ie) and also not only advised them that what they're going to do isn't a real fix, but indicated what the real fixes are. I think I'm done here.
    Not having a go at all mate, didn't mean for it to seem like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

what i tell evryone the x clamp fix your looking to do is a joke and makes things worse go to www.xbox-experts.co.uk
    buy there x clamp kit its the only one thats well researched and dosent cause damage to the 360.
    go to thier tutoriols look for a oven bake and then a oven reflow do both and put the kit in.
    thats the colsest your going to get to a permenant fix sould last a good while I have a neighbours xbox I fixed like this still going strong a year later.
    you should also split the fan shroud and 12v the fans and press the thumbs up button :D.

what i tell evryone the x clamp fix your looking to do is a joke and makes things worse go to www.xbox-experts.co.uk
    buy there x clamp kit its the only one thats well researched and dosent cause damage to the 360.
    go to thier tutoriols look for a oven bake and then a oven reflow do both and put the kit in.
    thats the colsest your going to get to a permenant fix sould last a good while I have a neighbours xbox I fixed like this still going strong a year later.
    you should also split the fan shroud and 12v the fans and press the thumbs up button :D.

4 months is all I got out of the hybrid advanced fix with shims, and I got 4 months out of a plain jane x-clamp fix too. Luck of the draw, none of them are real fixes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

i no none of them are real fixes there are none not even reballing because parts of the 360 are damaged ie the motherboard and the pads under the gpu and cpu the fat 360 is a bad design it cant tolorate the heat a xenon/zepher/falcon/opus board makes because the gpu is too hot and cooled very poorly the only real fix is a new 360.
    jaspers and slims should be ok but I still did a few mods on my jasper as soon as I got it.
    Like fan shroud,fan,thermal paste etc.
    But the fix I outlined is the best but it all depends on how damaged your board is if you had an old style x clamp fix the hybrid fix wont work as well as if it was straight off the x clamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Sorry for hijacking this thread.
    I have a 360 red ringing too.

Like TVirus said i used thetermal paste/ cleaned the processors/removed teh x clamps etc - but this only prolonged the life by about 2 weeks.

I am now back to where i began, how do i find what error code i have, all i see is red (three i think flashing), what options to i have. I read about oven baking??? is that safe, reballing/resoldiering - dont fancy that.

If anyone could advise me as a next step id be greatful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

Too be totally honest I've heard of some people that have used the x clamp fix and it never went again.

Its really 50/50 if it goes again.

But it you go at it yourself well its game over from there if you dont know what your doing.

And if you send it back too Microsoft they do spot checks too see if its been opened and if it has you get your x box back still broken.

If what I have read on boards the PlayStation 3 customer care get it back too you within 3 4 days after they take it off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Too be totally honest I've heard of some people that have used the x clamp fix and it never went again. - used another xclamp fix which comprised of replacing the xclamps with bolts and rubber washers, cleaned and re applied paste, turned on the xbox let if red light then plugged in fan - worked for a while but now broke

But it you go at it yourself well its game over from there if you dont know what your doing. - did it myself, have a bit of experience with computers, worked for a while gone again though

And if you send it back too Microsoft they do spot checks too see if its been opened and if it has you get your x box back still broken. - it has and its 5 yr old not an option here

Any other ideas

Advertisement