Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New site.

Options
  • 20-08-2010 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi folks,

myself and two other boardsies have just gone live with our new site http://www.flightsimportal.com We are 100% an Irish run site and we would appreciate any support we could get. We would also look very favorably (free) on any other boardsies simulation related sites needing advertising ;). You can use your boards name to join so we will know you. I hope the moderator will allow this shameless plug :eek: as it's difficult to get started in this area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

Hi guys ...GREAT an irish flightsim website ......im joining now ..right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Thanks, we would appreciate any feedback you could give us, if you don't like it please tell us why. We are considering setting up a dedicated multiplayer server for members, what would you think of the idea? It would be for FSX, Black Shark, Flaming Cliffs and Rise of Flight on different evenings, possibly FS2004 if there was interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good job, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Just signed up...

Thanks very much! It's early days yet, lots to do and a long way to go. Gotta start somewhere. Should have the members server up and running in a few days. :)

• Advertisement

After the briefest of periods of down time, I gave the site a major revamp today implementing a whole social network, check it out again, it's considerably more attractive now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Just signed up.And in good time too, Just got my Saitek pro flight Kit and about to get bigger HD so i can fit loads of add on scenery and planes ive gotten over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

A monthly screenshot competition has been started. This one runs until the end of September. The theme is 'Helicopters'. Screenshots can be from any sim you like. The winner will receive a copy of Digital Combat Simulations Black Shark....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Great site, is there going to be a download section, or am I stupid and missed it?

If it takes off we can implement a downloads section but it's a bit early to start paying for the server space yet, we have to recover the setup costs first. It is on the to do list though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the objective vs other sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Getting 403 errors now, has it gone offline for good?

Yeah, taken offline for good. Couldn't get the traffic. Such is life!

Ah thats a shame. Why would not enough traffic make you close it down? Were you expecting revenue from Google ads or something?

To be honest I only did the site to see if I could! I never designed a site before and I made it up as I went along. I had no plan to begin with, I was just doing it for the personal challenge and once I had it done I lost interest. There were very few active members so it seemed rather a waste of my time given that I have two very young kids and a lot to be doing at the moment. If members had been attracted to join and generate their own content I would have let it run but they weren't. I'm glad I did it, I feel I achieved my aim but the lack of planning was obvious in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

That's a shame, I know how you feel I have two small kids and smokerspack.com is like a third child at the moment. Keep on trying you never know something might just hook people in.
    Why don't you start a free blog at wordpress.com, that's how I got started with my site.

Yep it can be hard give the time websites need with other commitments.

I always thought this forum would take off a lot more once we got it established but its been slow enough...maybe the flight sim community is still quite small in Ireland. I remember the IFSD board being quite active most days for a long time though....

I've got a possible home for a new flight sim related community, maybe i'll push things forward and come back here to see is there any interest in helping out when people have time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

TBH I never saw it advertised anywhere, on any of the other flightsim sites. The only place I heard of it was here.

Advertisement