Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating advice

• 20-08-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I most likely won't have to repeat because I think I have enough points for what I want, but if I do have to repeat...

Will I have to take french again? if a college requires a third language can I just use the B3 in Ord french i got this year and not have to do it again? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

This is why people repeat! They get to drop those subjects they needed for matriculation purposes and then focus on the 'easier' subjects. Most drop Irish English and their language if they really didnt like those subjects and got the minimum requirement first time round.

So yes you can drop French. But your points next year will be only determined from one sitting of the Leaving Cert (as in you cant for example take your 3 best results from 2010 and then your other 3 best results from 2011)... but if a foreign language was required for the course you want, they will take the result you got from this year for matric purposes, but not for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Wow really? That's pretty awesome.

So if that's the case do I not have to take Maths again? Maths / Eng / Ir are not compulsory the second time around because I've passed them all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Already started a thread for this but I'm dropping English, Irish and (pass) Maths. Taking up Construction and Ag Science. Should have alot more study time.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

THFC wrote: »
    Already started a thread for this but I'm dropping English, Irish and (pass) Maths. Taking up Construction and Ag Science. Should have alot more study time.
    but some schools where u could repeat ask for a minimum of 6 subjects to repeat so how do u go about dropping some subjects if u do 7 subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

In the case of medicine, you have to get the points in one sitting, in otherwords, sit 6 subjects when you repeat, including those that are needed as requirement...most course aren't like this but I'd defo check, epecially if it's course which has high points...

• Advertisement

ayumi wrote: »
    but some schools where u could repeat ask for a minimum of 6 subjects to repeat so how do u go about dropping some subjects if u do 7 subjects?
    Did seven subjects this year:
    English
    Irish
    French
    Geo
    Economics
    Phys-Chem
    Maths (Pass)

Dropping Maths, English and Irish so my subjects for next year:

French
    Geo
    Economics
    Phys-Chem
    Construction
    Ag Science

6 subjects, all HL

Altho there were repeats last year that only did 5 subjects 2nd time round (they were going for courses worth about 300-350 points).

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

THFC wrote: »
    Did seven subjects this year:
    English
    Irish
    French
    Geo
    Economics
    Phys-Chem
    Maths (Pass)

Dropping Maths, English and Irish so my subjects for next year:

French
    Geo
    Economics
    Phys-Chem
    Construction
    Ag Science

6 subjects, all HL

Altho there were repeats last year that only did 5 subjects 2nd time round (they were going for courses worth about 300-350 points).

I have check some schools to repeat and most have said u need to repeat a minimum of 6 and i was wondering how do pple repeat 5 or less subjects? and where could u do this?

ayumi wrote: »
    I have check some schools to repeat and most have said u need to repeat a minimum of 6 and i was wondering how do pple repeat 5 or less subjects? and where could u do this?
    Well, I'm not sure if you're actually allowed to do it my school but a few of the repeats just dropped some subjects after like a month or two and concentrated on the easier one's - something I will not be doing btw.

Advertisement