Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modding my 360

• 20-08-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

hi all so i have decided to soft mod my 360 if possible.. looks like my model is falcon and dash number is 2.0.9199.0

Is there a way to mod this type of 360?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Stab*City wrote: »
    hi all so i have decided to soft mod my 360 if possible.. looks like my model is falcon and dash number is 2.0.9199.0

Is there a way to mod this type of 360?

There's two types of 360 mod;

1)JTAG
    2)Drive Flash

Your dash version is too high now, & isnt vulnerble to a JTAG hack. But you can flash your drive. What type of drive do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

EnterNow wrote: »
    There's two types of 360 mod;

1)JTAG
    2)Drive Flash

Your dash version is too high now, & isnt vulnerble to a JTAG hack. But you can flash your drive. What type of drive do you have?

Looks like the benq VAD-6038

from this pic:http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vncs.us/X360/Fix/xbox_360_dvd_model_identification.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vncs.us/X360/Fix/Index.html&h=800&w=1000&sz=165&tbnid=uQQYCidWFuaRvM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=149&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dxbox%2B360%2Bdrive%2Bidentification&zoom=1&usg=__amWiHou29znrCDkIwqROUCXKtEw=&sa=X&ei=MpJuTPChA9W6jAfrsOX6CA&ved=0CCkQ9QEwAw

Does that sound right?

Yep, but according to that link there's one more check to perform if it looks like a BenQ/Liteon. Did you check the wire colour? This method could be well old by now, it's been a while since I did homework on flashing.

Ya im going by the wire colour and the look of the drive itself..

Ya im going by the wire colour and the look of the drive itself..

Cool, looks like it handy to do. What OS are you on? I tried JungleFlasher with Win7 x64 & had very limited success. Tried it with DosFlasher & it worked first time.

• Advertisement

BenQ is one of the easiest xbox drives to flash, go to jungleflasher.net download he tutorial and application, read the benQ section plenty of times.

Never flash or erase the firmware without having the original firmware with valid drive key.

Cool, looks like it handy to do. What OS are you on? I tried JungleFlasher with Win7 x64 & had very limited success. Tried it with DosFlasher & it worked first time.

win 7 x64 as well here.. not sure of the procedure though.. is it reversible as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

As in flash back to original.
    Yes it is so long as u hold on to original firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

win 7 x64 as well here.. not sure of the procedure though.. is it reversible as well?

Turn on Test Mode (run a command prompt as administrator, and type ' bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON'). Reboot.

Use DSEO to sign portio64.sys. You only have to do this once.

Then start JungleFlasher.

When you're done, turn off Test Mode (by running the same command as above except put OFF instead of ON). Reboot.

Of course there are other ways to run drivers that are not digitally signed (press F8 at boot, and select the option to disable driver signing enforcement) but those didn't work for me while Test Mode does.

Oh, be sure to read the jungleflasher tutorial. And dump your original firmware several times before you even contemplate erasing.

Turn on Test Mode (run a command prompt as administrator, and type ' bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON'). Reboot.

When you're done, turn off Test Mode (by running the same command as above except put OFF instead of ON). Reboot.

Of course there are other ways to run drivers that are not digitally signed (press F8 at boot, and select the option to disable driver signing enforcement) but those didn't work for me while Test Mode does.

Oh, be sure to read the jungleflasher tutorial. And dump your original firmware several times before you even contemplate erasing.

That works, but it wasn't the problem I was having. The whole procedure was working perfectly for me with JF, reading, erasing, spoofing (replacement drive), & flashing - all without errors. The drive once back in the 360 however, wouldn't run a game. Just kept saying opn tray. Gave up on JF after AGES of messing around, tried DosFlasher - worked first time :confused:

• Advertisement

The permanent driver disabling worked perfect on my last mobo, but i upgraded to a asus p5q and it was having none of it. Back to the test mode way, works perfect. Browse to the portio64.sys in the JF folder, sign it then enable test mode and reboot.

thanks for all the help guys.. im going to look into the jungleflasher and dosflasher ways of modding..

Ok so im reading through the jungleflasher faq.. and from what i can gather is this correct:

remove drive from 360
    connect to laptop (via what cable? ive never opened a 360 before.)
    run jungleflasher
    flash drive with correct firmware (which is?)
    put drive back in 360

is this about right? exactly what functionality will i gain with this method? also i take it i lose xbox live?

Ok so im reading through the jungleflasher faq.. and from what i can gather is this correct:

remove drive from 360
    connect to laptop (via what cable? ive never opened a 360 before.)
    run jungleflasher
    flash drive with correct firmware (which is?)
    put drive back in 360

is this about right? exactly what functionality will i gain with this method? also i take it i lose xbox live?

Basically;

Open the 360
    If your tool-less (as I was doing mine), use the vintage method of leave the 360 to power the dvd drive, but disconnect its sata cable & instead connect an sata from your pc to the 360's drive.
    Read out the existing firmware & drive-key, & make a backup of them
    Flash ixtreme LT, or whatever custom firmware you wish (make sure your drive-key has been added to the new firmware)

It's never as simple as that without the proper tools etc, but thats the basic premise. By the way it doesnt work with every sata controller, so you may need to check your compatability.

ok looks like i need to pick up a sata cable.. what about doing it on a laptop? my win7 machine is a laptop but i also have a desktop..
    will i lose xbox live ya? bye the way thanks for all the help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I heard you get a ban flag for using the Xbox you'll sign into Live on, to power your drive when it's being flashed.

It logs that the console was powered on without a DVD drive connected. M$ have linked this to the firmware mods and so justify baning people (although testing my RROD repairs is always awkward having to reconnect DVD drive to avoid this).

I now have one box that I use just for flashing to rule this out altogether, just plug back in your flashed LT drive and you should be fine on Live! I've actually fixed a RROD once by letting it overheat when powering the drive (0022, stubborn one at that) but it's termpermental at times (still works tho!).

Wez wrote: »
    I heard you get a ban flag for using the Xbox you'll sign into Live on, to power your drive when it's being flashed.

It logs that the console was powered on without a DVD drive connected. M$ have linked this to the firmware mods and so justify baning people (although testing my RROD repairs is always awkward having to reconnect DVD drive to avoid this).

I now have one box that I use just for flashing to rule this out altogether, just plug back in your flashed LT drive and you should be fine on Live! I've actually fixed a RROD once by letting it overheat when powering the drive (0022, stubborn one at that) but it's termpermental at times (still works tho!).

thanks for that.. looks like ill have to power via a connection kit so ya? can anyone reccomend a good/cheap one? also found a very good guide for beginners on the download section of the jungleflasher site..

ok looks like i need to pick up a sata cable.. what about doing it on a laptop? my win7 machine is a laptop but i also have a desktop..
    will i lose xbox live ya? bye the way thanks for all the help..

Best of luck on a laptop - you need an SATA controller you can plug stuff into, and it has to be supported. Most laptops don't come with this stuff.

Flash with your desktop. If your SATA controller on your desktop's motherboard isn't supported then purchase a VIA 6421 PCI expansion card as that'll definitely work. Do not install any drivers for that VIA card either, if they get auto-installed like on Vista/Win7 then use Device Manager to uninstall the drivers.

@cisk: The F8->Disable Driver Signing Enforcement used to work for me. But for some reason Windows throws a fit now, so I just use the Test Method :)

@Wez: A flag is set in secdata.bin when you power a console without a drive. However, Microsoft most likely do not ban you just for that. They probably use it as an indicator though to check further, and run whatever checks they ran last November when they pwned people with the banhammer.

anyone know where there is a list to supported sata controllers?

this is the one my sata drive on my xp desktop shows under in device manager:

Intel (R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 2651

Intel (R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 2651

That is Ultra ATA, this is a 40-pin legacy connection and is not SATA. I take it your desktop isn't quite new then?

• Advertisement

That is Ultra ATA, this is a 40-pin legacy connection and is not SATA. I take it your desktop isn't quite new then?

Ok thanks for that.. looks like i need to get a sata cable, the pci card, and the xbox360 connection kit.. where can i get the connection kit cant seem to find it on ebay..

Ok thanks for that.. looks like i need to get a sata cable, the pci card, and the xbox360 connection kit.. where can i get the connection kit cant seem to find it on ebay..

The SATA cable and VIA 6421 PCI card can be had on ebay/dealextreme for next to nothing.

The most common connection kit is the Xecutor CK3 Pro with CK3 Probe v2, which works on all drives. I'd hold out for a little while on purchasing the gear though, because the Probe v2 may not dump the 'Slim' drive and there might be a Probe v3, I don't know. http://www.ck3.co.uk is one site, there are others out there that sell it too.

Please bear in mind that the CK3 needs to be powered with a Molex 4-pin power plug, so make sure your computer's powersupply has one spare. They look like this:

tutorial-4pin_molex_power_conn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

I've had the same problem with the laptop. I bought a via pci card from ck3 foolishly, not realising it would not work with the laptop. So now I'm looking for a decent USB to eSATA cable. If your interested in that via pci card give us a shout, other wise have a look on the ck3 website or here for USB to eSATA cables: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=esata+to+usb+cable&x=0&y=0&sprefix=eSATA+to+

I've had the same problem with the laptop. I bought a via pci card from ck3 foolishly, not realising it would not work with the laptop. So now I'm looking for a decent USB to eSATA cable. If your interested in that via pci card give us a shout, other wise have a look on the ck3 website or here for USB to eSATA cables: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=esata+to+usb+cable&x=0&y=0&sprefix=eSATA+to+

Is it this one? Ya i might be interested..

http://www.ck3.co.uk/VIA-6421-PCI-Sata-Card-Xecuter-Approved.html

pm me with details..

so then all i need is this ya?

http://www.ck3.co.uk/xecuter-ck3-pro.html

Is it this one? Ya i might be interested..

http://www.ck3.co.uk/VIA-6421-PCI-Sata-Card-Xecuter-Approved.html

pm me with details..

so then all i need is this ya?

http://www.ck3.co.uk/xecuter-ck3-pro.html

VIA card is overpriced - http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=VIA+6421

Pick up your SATA cable on ebay too.

And yes, the CK3 Pro is what you need, but you'll want a Probe v2 too, or an LT Switch v1.5, or an LT Switch & LT Clip for a no-solder solution. On the latest LiteOn drives you'll need to open the drive and cut some traces on the PCB

VIA card is overpriced - http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=VIA+6421

Pick up your SATA cable on ebay too.

And yes, the CK3 Pro is what you need, but you'll want a Probe v2 too, or an LT Switch v1.5, or an LT Switch & LT Clip for a no-solder solution. On the latest LiteOn drives you'll need to open the drive and cut some traces on the PCB

Cool thanks ya i was looking at ebay for the cable and sata card..

as for the probe v2 do i need this when i have a benq drive not a liteon?

If you have a Benq drive then you don't even need the CK3, just the PCI card & SATA cable will do

ok the reason i thought i needed the ck3 was to power the drive without leaving a marker for microsoft and losing xbox live.. so do you still think i dont need it?

ok the reason i thought i needed the ck3 was to power the drive without leaving a marker for microsoft and losing xbox live.. so do you still think i dont need it?

I'll be perfectly honest, if you want to keep xbox live then you shouldn't crack your firmware. You shouldn't play backups online at all. If you do then you're always running the risk of a banning. Last year people reported that even though they used the CK3 or another method to power the drive for flashing they still got banned. The powering-on-console-without-dvd-drive flag is only an indicator that something is amiss - Microsoft utilise other checks, over a period of time, to verify that you have indeed modified the console.

If you ask me, it makes no difference which way you power the drive for flashing. If you flash your drive it won't be the way you powered it on that'll give up the ghost, it's the firmware itself ;)

• Advertisement

Your really better off having one console for use online, & the other to mess about with. It's the only TRULY safe way. There's a new kernel coming too I heard, with direct firmware auditing, so eventually, that console your about to mod will NOT be able to go online regardless of what method you use.

If the direct firmware auditing happens I guess c4eva's old "they can't directly check for firmware" line will be well and truly debunked.

The two consoles thing is the right idea :)

I'll be perfectly honest, if you want to keep xbox live then you shouldn't crack your firmware. You shouldn't play backups online at all. If you do then you're always running the risk of a banning. Last year people reported that even though they used the CK3 or another method to power the drive for flashing they still got banned. The powering-on-console-without-dvd-drive flag is only an indicator that something is amiss - Microsoft utilise other checks, over a period of time, to verify that you have indeed modified the console.

If you ask me, it makes no difference which way you power the drive for flashing. If you flash your drive it won't be the way you powered it on that'll give up the ghost, it's the firmware itself ;)

Thanks thats the explanation i needed..

ok so after flashing the benq drive using just the sata cable and the sata card i buy.. whats the next step.. i suppose 1st thing to do would be remove the wireless xbox adapter.. do i still need to sign into my profile and stuff? sorry for all the questions.. and thanks for all your help!!

I'm afraid it appears you didn't read the charter. Piracy/Burning Games to DVD+/-R DLs isn't to be discussed here.

I'd advise you to rethink your post.

I'm afraid it appears you didn't read the charter. Piracy/Burning Games to DVD+/-R DLs isn't to be discussed here.

I'd advise you to rethink your post.

I was talking about making backups of my own games.. i have two kids and my originals are always getting destroyed by toddlers..

I was talking about making backups of my own games.. i have two kids and my originals are always getting destroyed by toddlers..

I'm not 100%, but I think in Ireland it MAY still be illegal to backup your own movies/games. The reason being, your defeating the protection system which is on the disc.

Functionality wise there will be no difference, use your existing profile, use discs as normal. The 360 uses dvd+r dl as it's media source, short of movies/dvd r's, nothing else works.

It may be obselete, but at the time I was flashing drives - certain firmware revisions needed a "trigger" disc to boot certain things. Some of the lads are no doubt more up to date on it than me & can ellaborate better. I remember upgrading the firmware (because the trigger thing was annoying me), and the newer f/w didnt need the trigger.

• Advertisement

I'm not 100%, but I think in Ireland it MAY still be illegal to backup your own movies/games. The reason being, your defeating the protection system which is on the disc.

Functionality wise there will be no difference, use your existing profile, use discs as normal. The 360 uses dvd+r dl as it's media source, short of movies/dvd r's, nothing else works.

It may be obselete, but at the time I was flashing drives - certain firmware revisions needed a "trigger" disc to boot certain things. Some of the lads are no doubt more up to date on it than me & can ellaborate better. I remember upgrading the firmware (because the trigger thing was annoying me), and the newer f/w didnt need the trigger.

The activation mode 0800 disc is no longer required unless you're hanging around with a Hitachi drive that has not got an iXtreme LT release or a lower firmware (v1.61). Lite touch is supposed to be indistinguishable from the real firmware, so c4eva had to drop things like wave checks etc :)

@Stab*City: The charter's fairly clear on discussion of backups, there is to be none whatsoever - there are no qualifications like "if you're talking about piracy, no backups discussion, otherwise it's grand". Wouldn't want to see a ban handed down, especially after you going through the trouble to learn it all :)

The 360 uses dvd+r dl as it's media source, short of movies/dvd r's, nothing else works.

good to know.. went to pc world and maplin and they didnt even have a pci sata card between em!! as usual...
    @Stab*City: The charter's fairly clear on discussion of backups, there is to be none whatsoever - there are no qualifications like "if you're talking about piracy, no backups discussion, otherwise it's grand". Wouldn't want to see a ban handed down, especially after you going through the trouble to learn it all :)

No worries thanks for the heads up.. wont mention it again..

So i guess its off to ebay for me.. and thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge with me!!:):)

No hassle, and sure if you need some more assistance once you get up and running then just drop back here and if I don't help you I'm sure somebody else will :)

For what it's worth, I swear by Verbatim DVD+R DL media :)

ok so looks like im ready to rock i got the sata card in the post!

Basically;

Open the 360
    If your tool-less (as I was doing mine), use the vintage method of leave the 360 to power the dvd drive, but disconnect its sata cable & instead connect an sata from your pc to the 360's drive.
    Read out the existing firmware & drive-key, & make a backup of them
    Flash ixtreme LT, or whatever custom firmware you wish (make sure your drive-key has been added to the new firmware)

It's never as simple as that without the proper tools etc, but thats the basic premise. By the way it doesnt work with every sata controller, so you may need to check your compatability.

when making a backup of existing firmware & drive key is this done within jungleflasher or how?

• Advertisement

Wow i didnt realise the discs would be so expensive in pc world they are €39.99 for 8 discs!! On ebay i picked up 10 from cork for €12.00 including shipping.. now gotta wait for them to be delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

try these https://www.justmedia.ie/p-2105-x-layer-dvdr-dl-25-pack.aspx iv been using them there great but get off this subject its dodgy ground

Wow i didnt realise the discs would be so expensive in pc world they are €39.99 for 8 discs!! On ebay i picked up 10 from cork for €12.00 including shipping.. now gotta wait for them to be delivered.

Yep high street Ireland is a joke for computing, Remember seeing 10 Verb DL`s in maplins for €48 :eek:

Online is the only bet.

cisk wrote: »
    Yep high street Ireland is a joke for computing, Remember seeing 10 Verb DL`s in maplins for €48 :eek:

Online is the only bet.

Its a complete joke the rip off prices these companies charge.. Maplin And Pc World being two of the biggest overchargers.. They also wanted close to 40 in maplin for a bog standard sata card!!

when making a backup of existing firmware & drive key is this done within jungleflasher or how?

Anyone? The .bin file jungleflasher promts to save during the process is this a back up of my original dvd key/firmware? do i actually have to write the dvd key down or what?

Anyone?

Well if JungleFlasher is what your using, then yes that will be how it's done. You read out the existing firmware, & save the drive-key as a text file if you like. I think that's how I did mine...

Regardless, the drive key will be in the existing firmware, so all you have to do is load it into JF to see what it is.

Simply follow the Jungleflasher Guide - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X0I9TGOZ

Simply follow the Jungleflasher Guide - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X0I9TGOZ

Or that :pac:

See post #7 xD

Ok i have read all the tutorials numerous times.. the question i was asking before i take the plunge is during the jungleflasher guide you read the firmware and then are prompted to save a .bin file is this bin file a backup of my original firmware and dvd key or do i have to note the dvd myself like on paper or somethin?

Just want to be sure, to be sure that i have everything i need backed up before i flash..

• Advertisement
Advertisement